Menu

Speculate with me - a house without exterior walls

My dh has a thing about exterior walls - honestly, you'd think we lived in Alaska instead of the Southeast. :lol: He is always going on and on about the cold seeping in. So, today, sort of joking, I said that one day I was going to build him a house with no exterior walls.

I was thinking about it while driving to the store. I'm sort of seeing a rectangular house with all the passageways and storage against the exterior walls, and all the actual rooms in the middle. What do you think?

I taught in a school with an interior classroom (no windows). I didn't think it would be a big deal but it actually did affect me to have no window light day in and out practically all day. How about just good insulation and windows? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding completely! I'd also want to be able to get out easily from a bedroom in a fire. Without a window I'm going out one door and to a passageway? I know fires are rare but we had one growing up and they do happen so that would bug me.

Edited by sbgrace

HA!When I read the title, I thought you meant something like this, walls that slide to open up a space to the outdoors are common in fancy houses here. But, that's the opposite of what you meant. :D

That's cool! My dh wouldn't like it though. His other big thing is security! :tongue_smilie:

I taught in a school with an interior classroom (no windows). I didn't think it would be a big deal but it actually did affect me to have no window light day in and out practically all day. How about just good insulation and windows? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding completely! I'd also want to be able to get out easily from a bedroom in a fire. Without a window I'm going out one door and to a passageway? I know fires are rare but we had one growing up and they do happen so that would bug me.

I've also taught in an interior classroom. You're right, it's much nicer with windows.

my family lived in an apartment built into a warehouse. Not windows, except for the entry windows.

Dark and gloomy. Awesome pillow fights in the dark though.

I'd invest in fabulous new windows.

ETA: this is what I was picturing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Glass_House_2006.jpg

Edited by fairfarmhand

one option for him would be to build a house from extruded polystyrene (foam) blocks. They are the "form" into which you pour a solid concrete filling, so they form a solid--no leaks--layer with insulation on the inside and on the outside. It's a marvelous technology, soundproof, fireproof, wind resistant, labor saving, fast, and inexpensive. Insurance companies will usually insure a foam block home at a lower cost because their risk is smaller than in a conventional stick frame building.

Just a thought...

If we ever build one, dh wants to build the foam block structure into a hillside or grade, with transom windows on one side, and an open wall on the opposite side, with earth above us for earth insulation.

You could look into hurricane houses. Poured concrete walls, that's good insulation.

No windows means smelly, musty interior. You could always buy some rolls of plastic and let your dh insulate the windows and doors. :D

I knew a family who lived in a house that was poured concrete. It was a common design at the time the house was built. I didn't mind it when I visited, but later learned from my mom that they always had problems with mold & mildew behind anything they hung on the walls (pictures, etc).