Menu

s/o Decorating the Tree........Post a picture of your tree here!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're doing the "my child sliced her achilles tendon the day before we were supposed to cut down a tree" tree (otherwise known as a blank spot in the classroom)

the rest of the house is decorated in "we spent all our time, money and energy at the hospital last weekend"

I sort of feel guilty for no decorations this year, but mostly I feel tired.

(oh and thankful the kid isn't crippled)

Lara

A picture wouldn't really do ours justice, so here's a story:

When we moved to that little seminary apt a few yrs ago, I gave away our non-sentimental ornaments & gave the sentimental ones to my sister. I made a felt tree to hang on the wall, ala Dr. Seuss.

In this house, there's not wall space for our Seuss tree (or any tree, really), but tree prices have fallen enough that we went w/ a real one. Our ornaments are mostly felt that we've made in the last couple of years & some tiny white embroidered pillow ornaments my mom made when we were kids.

We couldn't find the pillow ornaments right away, & while we were still looking for them, the big kids started cutting out construction paper ornaments & stringing popcorn.

3yo wanted to make an ornament, too, so she cut out some pink construction paper & glued popcorn on it. "It's a bat with popcorn on it," she said, & when dh tried to put a hole in it, so she could hang it on the tree, she objected. "Bats hang upside down," she said, & so dh turned the bat upside down & gave it a hook.

Since then, dh has cut out a paper star for the topper, & somebody has added cut-out snowflakes. 3yo put a hairclip on one branch, & 2yo stuck some silk flowers here & there, along with a purse that he needs when he "goes to work." There's also a string of foil candy canes, stuck in a wad in one corner.

Overall, I'd say it's a "Victorian" style. :D

Here's ours. . . I think we were going for the "kid-decorated-because-Mom-was-too-tired" look.

What a joy! They did it ALL themselves. It's - um - unique.

I love it - it is warm and cozy looking.

Here's ours:

Love it - it is gorgeous!

We're doing the "my child sliced her achilles tendon the day before we were supposed to cut down a tree" tree (otherwise known as a blank spot in the classroom)

the rest of the house is decorated in "we spent all our time, money and energy at the hospital last weekend"

I sort of feel guilty for no decorations this year, but mostly I feel tired.

(oh and thankful the kid isn't crippled)

Lara

I'll send you the recipe (as soon as I find it) for the Jack Daniels' Smoothies (for you - not dd)

I just can't get the hang of posting pictures on here-drat! My blog header is a pic of one of our smaller trees, decorated by my 7 yo. Lots of pink and purple!

The pictures so far are GREAT! So lovely!

Love it - and isn't it fun to see what others' trees look like!:)

I took them with my phone so they aren't the best quality. I did fool around with them some because the one was so very red with the lights on.

[ATTACH]3940[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3941[/ATTACH]

Chucki: What's with the presents under the tree? Wrapped? Wrapped beautifully? Oh, Lord, I feel like such a slug - I have not purchased one.single.thing.:leaving: Oh, and your tree is gorgeous!!!!:001_wub:

When we moved to that little seminary apt a few yrs ago, I gave away our non-sentimental ornaments & gave the sentimental ones to my sister. I made a felt tree to hang on the wall, ala Dr. Seuss.

In this house, there's not wall space for our Seuss tree (or any tree, really), but tree prices have fallen enough that we went w/ a real one. Our ornaments are mostly felt that we've made in the last couple of years & some tiny white embroidered pillow ornaments my mom made when we were kids.

We couldn't find the pillow ornaments right away, & while we were still looking for them, the big kids started cutting out construction paper ornaments & stringing popcorn.

3yo wanted to make an ornament, too, so she cut out some pink construction paper & glued popcorn on it. "It's a bat with popcorn on it," she said, & when dh tried to put a hole in it, so she could hang it on the tree, she objected. "Bats hang upside down," she said, & so dh turned the bat upside down & gave it a hook.

Since then, dh has cut out a paper star for the topper, & somebody has added cut-out snowflakes. 3yo put a hairclip on one branch, & 2yo stuck some silk flowers here & there, along with a purse that he needs when he "goes to work." There's also a string of foil candy canes, stuck in a wad in one corner.

One picture is worth a thousand words!;)

To everyone else: there are NO lazy homeschoolers! ;) remember that.

Keep the pix coming -- this is fun!

Love it!

My DS plays in our tree. As in, with his Star Wars figures. The tree is their home base. :tongue_smilie: I never know who - or what! - I might find hanging out on a branch when I walk past.

These sure are precious days, aren't they?

We love it! And we love your Christmas-hairdo on your avatar!:001_smile:

Thank you!

I left our huge, House of Lloyd tree with the EX, since he has the bigger house. That tree would take up about 1/4 of my living room, so we make due with the smaller one on an end table.

As for my holiday coif, it is rather special, isn't it? :lol:

Chucki: What's with the presents under the tree? Wrapped? Wrapped beautifully? Oh, Lord, I feel like such a slug - I have not purchased one.single.thing.:leaving: Oh, and your tree is gorgeous!!!!:001_wub:

Thanks.

The presents are mostly from Grandma and Papa. (Four out of five boxes have arrived.) I wrapped almost all of dh's as I got them so I'm not overwhelmed on Christmas Eve.

It looks better when the lights are off!

ETA: Added one with the boys' tree in their room.

Any more?:toetap05:

:lol::lol:

So nice! I have to tell you somethng funny -- my ds10 is looking at the photos here with me and we were looking at your trees. He sees your 'screen name' and says incredulously: 'The CRAPPY homeschooler?'

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I corrected him.:D

Love it!

My DS plays in our tree. As in, with his Star Wars figures. The tree is their home base. :tongue_smilie: I never know who - or what! - I might find hanging out on a branch when I walk past.

These sure are precious days, aren't they?

For several years, ils had a cat who liked to sleep & crouch in the tree. He'd jump out on our heads as we walked past. :scared:

Oh, Lord, I feel like such a slug - I have not purchased one.single.thing.:leaving:

To everyone else: there are NO lazy homeschoolers! ;) remember that.

Mariann,

:grouphug: You are NOT a slug - you have been very busy caring for your family and yourself lately. Sometimes life happens and Christmas doesn't come together in our ideal way, and that's OK. Don't let the present shopping stress you out too much, and please let us know if it is, so we can send you more encouraging words and you can enjoy your holidays. :grouphug:

J

who hopes she wasn't too presumptuous...

picture.php?albumid=414&pictureid=1874

The kids decorated ours after I put the string of beads on. The ornaments are a mixture of special ornaments, handmade ornaments from DS's preschool days and Awana, and a few glitter-decorated bulbs I bought. The star was picked out be DD when she was little.

Starting in 1995, I started buying myself a special ornament each year. I now get the kids ornaments, too, making it an expensive tradition...but at least they'll each get a box of special ornaments to take with them. We have baby's first Christmas ornaments, a house for the year we bought our first house, a twin towers ornament from 9/11, Harry Potter ornaments, football, spiderman, pregnant bears, etc. Two of them have bit the dust though.

OK Tammy, here's the thing. I used to work at the head office of a huge crafty decoratey chain. I was in charge of their monthly decorating magazine, from working with the buyers to get the latest and greatest, scouting for shoot locations, setting up the photo shoots, writing articles and directing people how to achieve this look, working with the magazine printer; you name it. All that to say that I have a lot of experience when it comes to super amazing, beautiful Christmas scenes. You, honey, are the QUEEN! That picture is simply beyond stunning. Hats off to you!

_MG_0054.jpg

Just took a picture of mine last night - sorry it's so big - this is the image I had posted on my facebook and just brought it over here.

Mariann,

:grouphug: You are NOT a slug - you have been very busy caring for your family and yourself lately. Sometimes life happens and Christmas doesn't come together in our ideal way, and that's OK. Don't let the present shopping stress you out too much, and please let us know if it is, so we can send you more encouraging words and you can enjoy your holidays. :grouphug:

J

who hopes she wasn't too presumptuous...[/QUOTE] Awwwwww,:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:, thank you. Seriously, if the xanax wasn't working so well, I'd cry.:grouphug::grouphug: Thank you - that was so nice to read.

Karyn, you are so sweet :) Btw, where in Canada are you? I am from Calgary, Alberta, at least I was until I met/married my American husband, when I was 27.

I'm in Edmonton! Howdy former neighbour! Assuming you're not there anymore! :D GO FLAMES GO! :D

Mariann, we just hijacked your thread! So sorry! But you know, all the popular threads do get hijacked. Consider it a compliment! :D

AAAARRRRGGG!!!

No, it's not Talk Like a Pirate Day, it's Waitin' on the Piano Movers Week. I should say, Fortnight. We sold the big grand and I will put our tree in the music room soon to be reading/coffee-sipping room. But the movers were busy and can't pick up til Friday morning.

Maybe I'll be able to add to the thread this weekend. All your trees are so pretty, it's hard to have to wait!

Tammy, is that photo for real???

Goodness gracious, that tree and those BEAUTIFUL ADORABLE kids and your pretty house background all need to be on a magazine cover!!!

:) It's real. But it does take some skill to capture. In fact, I had to merge two pictures to get the twinkly lights!

Tammy, is that photo for real???

Goodness gracious, that tree and those BEAUTIFUL ADORABLE kids and your pretty house background all need to be on a magazine cover!!!

:iagree:

Oh, I get that Crappy Comment a lot! Really didn't think ahead when I chose my screen name! Hee Hee!

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler

:) It's real. But it does take some skill to capture. In fact, I had to merge two pictures to get the twinkly lights!

You have got some skillz there girl!

I don't have the camera I guess. Yeah, that's it. I just can't ever get the lighting to look like that. Wanna come over and take a gorgeous pic of my kids and tree for my Christmas photo? :tongue_smilie:

I'm in Edmonton! Howdy former neighbour! Assuming you're not there anymore! :D GO FLAMES GO! :D

Mariann, we just hijacked your thread! So sorry! But you know, all the popular threads do get hijacked. Consider it a compliment! :D

:DActually, I do. This has been like sitting around someone's tree and chatting chatting.gif with everyone!:grouphug:

You have got some skillz there girl!

I don't have the camera I guess. Yeah, that's it. I just can't ever get the lighting to look like that. Wanna come over and take a gorgeous pic of my kids and tree for my Christmas photo? :tongue_smilie:

All of these nice comments have me quite beaming!

Actually, you would require a good camera to do a shot like this. You have to push the limits of a camera for this, because it's VERY dark, and you have to shoot completely manual (and I used two completely different sets of settings without moving the camera in this case. you also need a tripod (or in my case, a tall stool, lol)). You also need to have a camera that handles high ISOs well, because it's so dark, otherwise the noise would be unbearable.