Menu

When someone you love dies....

I want to post the obit of my grandfather who died in the midst of my move. I'm just begininng to process this. He was what I would call a GREAT man. I was born to his youngest daugter in the height of his political days. My mom left home, to have me away from where her unwed status would affect his rep (Alaska was a bit conservative in some ways).

That didn't last long...from my earliest days he was there. It is he who gave me an unconventional classical education. It started with books.... instilling a love of reading, then it was teaching me chess and french, finally it was the hours of conversations on logic and law. I learned math at the helm of sailboat, charting routes thru the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Understanding, the tides and the stars.

I didn't fully understand how blessed I was. When I think about his life, how he lived and what he accomplished...I am inspiried!!!

Just wanted to share, and hear anyone else's stories of inspiring loved ones :001_smile:

Henry Jules Camarot

| Visit Guest Book

share_icon.gif

10572921.jpgHenry Jules CAMAROT May 2, 1923 ~ November 10, 2010 Henry Jules Camarot is survived by his wife Betty; three daughters (Linda, Gabrielle and Tammy); seven grandchildren, four great-grandchildren and too many friends to count. Henry was born of an immigrant family and raised in Hells Kitchen, New York. He was a veteran of WWII, 11th Airborne, later the U.S. Army Transportation Corps, 2nd Class Deep Sea Diver. Received his masters degree in law from George Washington University. Became Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Territory of Alaska, later Assistant Attorney General for the Territory; was Executive Director of the Legislative Council for Territory of Alaska, which was instrumental in Alaska becoming a state; was General Counsel for Alaska Airlines. He was a highly successful trial lawyer in several states until retiring in 1996 at the age of 72.He was 77 years old when elected as a state legislator of Arizona House of Representatives, the first Democrat elected in that district of 25 years. Henry and his family loved boats and took many trips from Seattle, throughout the San Juans and Canada. We miss Henry / Dad / Grandpa very much, but we know he is smiling - he has the company of his beloved dog of ten years who died 24 hours to the minute after Henry passed. We know they are together - boating.

Published in The Seattle Times on November 21, 2010

:grouphug:

(and the part about his dog dying exactly 24 hrs later made me :crying:)

Jackie

My mom said it was the most unbelievable thing she has ever seen. They were sitting in the living room, the dog was standing in the center of the room...and literally feel over dead. They looked at the clock and it was exactly 24hrs...TO THE MINUTE, that Gradpa had passed.

He loved sailing. His finally words were..."Ooooooh....have you ever seen an ocean so BLUE?"

He loved sailing. His finally words were..."Ooooooh....have you ever seen an ocean so BLUE?"

My brother died of cancer last year. The day he died, as he was floating in and out of consciousness, he kept talking about how beautiful the mountains were and how blue the sky was. His last words were that his backpack was packed and he was ready to go. :crying:

Jackie

• 1 year later...