Menu

San Francisco, now it is pets too.

It seems that they want to regulate every iota of peoples' lives, thinking this is a good thing...

Aren't there statistics that people with pets generally have healthier lifestyles (lower stress, higher general happiness, longer lives, etc.)? I would think with SF's apparent concern over peoples' health that they would encourage pet ownership? Am I overthinking it?

I'm telling you true. If everyone had just three or four more kids, they wouldn't have time for this crap.

Tho they might still have to time to comment about it online.;)

Hey, SF is just starting with animals. After that, they'll start on their kid regulations. :lol:

Is there an update on that story? It was dated July 8, 2010 and said that the supervisors were voting that night?

You can find the meeting minutes for their July 8 meeting here, item #5 (both sides of the argument were given ample time to discuss their concerns):

http://www.sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=2216

Amongst other things it is abundantly clear from the minutes the issue was misrepresented in the media.

The discussion continued the following month (minutes here again item #5):

http://www.sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=2248

At this meeting a women suggested a fairly well-thought out education campaign to address the issues this ban was intended to eliminate. The commissioners were impressed and decided to table the "ban" until the education proposal could be more fully fleshed out.

A update of progress presentation was made at this meeting in October:

http://www.sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=2345

In short - the ban has been tabled.

I'm trying to imagine the circumstances under which someone would take a hamster to a shelter to be euthanized.

I doubt most intend to have them euthanized.

My kids want hamsters, and I've always said no, having had one myself and completely regretting it! Still, I couldn't help but check out the small animal box on Petfinder. OMG - the number of small furries (and not-so-furries) on there is INSANE!!!!!

Banning animal sales certainly isn't the answer, but boy do I wish it were that easy!

I'm trying to imagine the circumstances under which someone would take a hamster to a shelter to be euthanized.

I'm a foster home for a local animal shelter. I don't take hamsters, but I am very familiar with the shelter and how animals end up there. The biggest reason small animals end up in our shelter is because people underestimate the work required to care for them and overestimate how cuddly they will be. (These reasons are not the same as why dogs and cats end up there, btw.)

Many people thinks of animals as objects and have no sense of responsibility toward them. They feel that their pets are there merely to please them and, if/when they cease to do so, out they go.

Tara

I'd love to see "pet stores" banned. A lot of the animals sold in pet stores have suspicious/illegal backgrounds (puppy mills, for instance) and a whole variety of health problems. There are millions of abandoned/unwanted animals out there in need of a loving home and "pet stores" do nothing but contribute to that sad situation.