Menu

Winners and Losers

Winner- Pioneer Woman's green bean casserole.

Loser- Pioneer Woman's cracked potatoes. I think that was my fault though, I didn't cook them quite long enough and they didn't "crack" nicely. Everyone else loved them.

I tried a new stuffing recipe this year -it was awesome! I wanted to try a new pumpkin pie recipe, but that resulted in rebellion. I was promptly informed that if something is really good, it should be left alone. I honestly don't like pumpkin pie anyway, so I went with the majority vote. Each of the animals were provided with a fresh pear for Thanksgiving. Animal consensus seems to be that this tradition should continue.

Krista

No real losers today. I made pumpkin pie which my picky 9 year old loved. It was a new recipe but she pronounced it better than the other recipe I have used in the past. Made my husband's favorite deep dish apple pie which he loved and I made my normal sweet potatoes. Most of rest was cooked by SIL which automatically makes it a winner in my book, especially the chicken and dumplings. YUM!

Winners - as always Mashed Potatoes (with sour cream, cream cheese and butter). Spinach Dip Cheese Ball with crackers and veggies. Brussels Sprouts and Carrots. Ham instead of Turkey (since that eliminates the dressing, gravy and cranberry sauce it makes it so much easier)

Losers - no real losers. I made a few tarts so the one person who didn't like Pumpkin Pie could have something and the crust got soggy on some. Also my rolls didn't rise as much as I expected, but tasted fine.

I was so lucky my pumpkin pie turned out. I was supposed to use 12 oz evaporated milk and instead bought 14 oz sweetened condensed milk, so I used it and eliminated 1/3 c sugar. Turned out perfect.

Winners: 1) Making no hors dourves today, so we actually were hungry for dinner and able to enjoy it without feeling sick. My entire day was not spent cooking; instead, 2) I'm making only hors dourves tomorrow. 3) Make-ahead gravy, using the giblets and canned chicken broth and more. It was great to know it would work out, instead of me frantically desperate at the last minute with turkey drippings.

Losers: NOTHING!

Winner: The dinner rolls that MrTea made to replace the ones I made. Doubly impressive because until today I thought he only knew how to brew coffee and make toast. He whipped out an old Betty Crocker cookbook with a "can-do" attitude, and made some really awesome rolls.

Loser: My rolls. They were hockey pucks.

Winner: Playing Cranium with the family today. What a bunch of hams.

Loser: Finding out we have plumbing problems to tackle at our rental house in the morning. Good thing I wasn't planning on going shopping.

Winners:

Guacamole: Using lime juice instead of lemon made this keep without discoloring for 2 days. It was great for part of a light brunch snack so that we could have an early Thanksgiving dinner. Interestingly enough, the onion toned down during the two days, making it much blander the second time. I think that the lime 'cooked' the onion--good to know that this can happen.

Squash soup (very disguised, with lots of sage and roasted garlic, since no one in the group really likes squash, but it's very healthy)

Apple Crisp: This recipe is my own invented combo of several others, and was a very big hit

Potluck Thanksgiving dinner--no one had to do too much, and there was something for everyone

Losers:

Potluck Thanksgiving dinner--there were no mashed potatoes!!! No potatoes of any kind at all!

Winner: Roasted vegies (Brussels sprouts, parsnips, onions, carrots). LOVE parsnips and Brussels sprouts.

2nd place winner: Wild rice with caramelized onions and cranberries. Mmmmm.

Loser: Ree's Crash hot potatoes. Okay, so my family loves these, but I just don't dig 'em.

Winner: Vegetable Stuffing Casserole! Hands down, the best Thanksgiving sidedish ever.

Winner: Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie (OMG!)

Looser: Paula Dean's Pumpkin Cheesecake. Everyone agreed it was delicious! But they also said they'd rather have either pumpkin pie OR cheesecake.

Recipe:

Vegetable Stuffing Casserole

freshly ground black pepper

1 med head cauliflower, cut up

1 bunch broccoli, cut up

(Or you can make this with zucchini and yellow squash instead.)

1 cup grated carrot

1 med chopped sweet onion

1 pint sour cream

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1 stick butter

1 package Pepperage Farm Herb Seasoned stuffing mix

Melt butter and toss with stuffing mix in a large bowl. Set aside.

Saute onion in a little butter on med until translucent.

Add grated carrot and saute two minutes longer. Set aside.

Cook vegetables until tender crisp. (I steem them on the stove top.)

In huge bowl, mix soup and sour cream together. Grind in some black pepper.

Add onions & carrots and drained vegetables. Stir to combine.

In greased baking dish, (9X13 works as well as other sizes) spread out half the stuffing mix. Pour vegetable/ sauce fillng over top and spread out evenly.

Sprinkle top with more stuffing mix. (I never use it all.)

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes till bubbly.

This makes a big holiday batch. Half is for a family dinner.

OMG!

Edited by katemary63