Menu

A gentle proposal to moms of youngers.

FloridaLisa

Gosh, am I the only one that cannot afford these things??? We have 2 vehicles that we need to pray over every time we get in them. No money to get them fixed or replaced. We have little to no income. The museum is not an option. We have been attempting the zoo, but alas it would cost us near $100 between tickets and food. It just ain't happening. So if my little loves books then why not enjoy them? If she loves Leap Frog we are happy she is happy. If she loves writing then we are glad she has something fun to do. I don't believe in PUSHING a young child, but if they have interest in these things that are available to us then I really don't see harm. I would love to go to a fort with her, or watch her expression when seeing a monkey swing, or go to a play, etc, etc, etc. But my goodness with the price of gas it cost me $7 to go to the post office to mail off sold books. I just don't see how anyone can afford these things these days. I see your heart and it is kind, but it just doesn't work for everyone like that. I think anyone can do Kindergarden for 2 years though (IF the child wants to). Just cus you are done with K doesn't mean you need to progress to 1st at such a young age. You should see my dd light up when she counts to 10 by herself, or says all of the sounds of the alphabet. I can't see denying her these simple pleasures when it is almost all she has got. Yes, we take her outside. She *helps* in the garden, she plays in the sand, she watches a frog pass by. But she needs more variety and books provide that. And some curriculum is made just right for the littles...not pushy, just fun.

Obviously, you have to do what works for you, and you have to work with what's available in your area. That's the beauty of home schooling. I don't think the OP is saying that using a curriculum is harming the child; she's simply reminding newbies and moms of littles to remember that these years fly by and playing with your children at the park, and doing things with them has a lot of value--sometimes more value than book study at this age.

I live in a touristy town, and there are always things going on here. Our chamber of commerce and visitor's center always has info about local events, festivals, etc that are very inexpensive or free. Our university auditorium has $5 tickets for home schoolers to the children's productions and $10 tickets to "Big Name" productions (like professional ballet or concerts) Maybe your area has something similar and you could find some fun field trips for you and your dd that are local and free. Or, carpool with a friend for a field trip. Sometimes it takes some research and resourcefulness, but the payoff is grand!

For anyone looking for thrifty activities, I would like to remind you of your public library, which often has read-alouds and various other interesting, free activities for kids. Speaking of which, in at least some parts of the country, Macy's has partnered with your local public library and various museums and offers 2 or 4 (depending) free passes for entrance. It's a nice program.

GREAT suggestion! I have to say that I am SOOO glad that all of the TOO many curriculum options, catalogs, learning styles, companies were just not there when we started homeschooling! In fact, we never did art or science and our school only took us a couple of hours a day. We did a LOT of traveling and playing and exploring.

I am a mother to one that is graduating this year and here to say that you DO NOT get that time back. EVER. I had a house full of littles back in the 90's. I was raising/homeschooling babies/toddlers/preschoolers, all six under the age of seven at time. I was so focused on daily needs and school, school, school, that we didn't do fun. When the foster children left, we were in a routine that we pretty much stuck to. About the only extra thing we did was make Christmas cookies and ornaments for the neighbors.

Now, my older homeschooled children: 19,16 and 13 are in their high-school years and there is no time in their schedules to play. I regret it terribly. Yes, we did make trips to zoo once in awhile on the weekend or a historical village. But that was about it.

Now I'm planning for my 1st grade son who I am hoping to pull from PS.

His days will include fun and lots of it.

If you are afraid of losing precious educational time. Let us consider what goes on in a typical public school classroom.

This is in the city...not the suburbs, there may be a difference.

9:00 arrive at school, remove outer garments, attendance, calm down

9:30 breakfast (yes, breakfast provided by the state)

10:00 Calendar time

10:30 Gym or Art

11:00 Music or Singing in class

12:00 Activity boxes

12:30 lunch

1:00 rest time (yep!)

1:30 Reading

2:00 Centers

2:30 Math

3:00 Home

Within those 1/2 hour blocks, if the child finishes his worksheets or time with the teacher, he can play or lay down with a blanket . some days (usually once a week, the whole school watches a movie in the gym with popcorn and everything). Then his classroom has movie days in the class where they watch TV shows a couple of days a week and sometimes a moive.

I didn't add recess which comes after lunch and in the afternoon. I also didn't add all of the times that classes are interrupted with disruptive students. In my son's class, it's about every 15-20 minutes (I've sat in).

If you get in a solid 1 1/2 -2 hours at the most with your K-3rd that is way more than a public school child is going to get in a classroom. You would not believe the interruptions, silly things that they learn not pertaining to education, and disruptions. Then with class of kids, you always have someone soiling themselves, throwing up, etc. That takes time to clean up, phone parents and find clean clothes. Its a circus.

What I'm saying is take the great curricula, but choose what's important and don't overdo it. They aren't young very long. Then choose some fun things to do with your child to enjoy the day. Play some playdough, make a mud pie. Climb a tree.

As for the mom that mentioned not having money. We've never had much and still don't. If you look around, there are many things out there you can do. Ask your child what he/she would like to do. Cook something, make a tent. Borrow one of Ed Emberly's books and see what you can draw. Make your own flannelgraph figures and have your children tell you a story. There are a ton of books at the libary about things to do. Plant a garden. The library will have info about what's going on in town over the summer. Go to a metropark and read under a tree. Swing as high as you can. It's not so much what you do, it's that you are doing it together. You are making memories.

I hope that helps.

Let us consider what goes on in a typical public school classroom.

I hope that helps.

I'm wondering if you're in the States? This seems like it's not worth sending them to school. What about the children whose parents don't want them to watch movies? That's just crazy...and I love it...Math is at the end. I wonder how many times that gets bumped...all the real "academics" are in the afternoon...???

WOW!

Carrie

Yes, I'm in the states. Won't mention where. The only reason for sending him was that he needed special services. He gets even less education because he gets speech and OT services during the day!

Yea, movie day...my other son is in the 7th grade..they do that there too. Amazing!

The concepts he is learning now are the ones that I already taught him last year. I keep telling the teacher that he already learned that....

She then will write in her notes.."C" is so proud of what he learned today.

Geesh.

Thank you for the reminder! I'm learning this the hard way! I decided to "buckle down" with some pretty intense studies -- and lots of them, this year. We've had to many long day and by the middle of the year we were all growing weary. I have spent a good bit of time coming to terms with our long term educational goals for our kids and the environment/style of homeschool we want here at home!

I'm trying to relax, but I'm also a list checker!! Those things don't mesh very well. I'm looking forward to reading more about Charlotte Mason's approach this summer.

If you are afraid of losing precious educational time. Let us consider what goes on in a typical public school classroom.

Wow! That wasn't my son's school schedule this year at public school at all.

7:45am Arrive and pick up breakfast. Take breakfast to classroom

7:45am-8:20am. Morning work (work that can be done independently, such as penmanship) and eat your breakfast.

8:20-9:20am- Reading

9:20am-10:30 am- Math

10:30-10:50 am- Lunch

10:50-11:20- Recess

11:30-12:30- Reading (yep, they had it twice)

12:30-1:30- Math (twice in the day)

1:30-3:00 Tech, gym, art, German, or whatever else they had that day. Occasionally science or social studies or the like. But all of those were rotated within this hour and a half period.

What a touch-point for guilt this is for me! I'm a goal-oriented, schedule-driven person who has a tendency to be always looking ahead. Yet I'm constantly trying to keep this take-it-slowly-you-only-get-one-chance-at-childhood thing in mind. We try to get outside as much as possible. Even though we live in an apartment complex, there's tons of green space around and I figure it's good if the dc spend at least a couple hours outside every nice day. But I still feel guilty. We don't have much money and I'm not fond of packing the kids up to go someplace new and noisy unless I have dh around to help me - I just get stressed out too easily and turn into "Monster Mama."

Yes, we take her outside. She *helps* in the garden, she plays in the sand, she watches a frog pass by. But she needs more variety and books provide that. And some curriculum is made just right for the littles...not pushy, just fun.

So, Susie, I'd say that giving your little one the opportunities to be in God's great world outside are wonderful! Cultural opportunities are good - and make very nice memories - but it's the time spent with people that count. We saved up so that I could spend $50 taking my oldest dd to a performance of "The Nutcracker" last Christmas. I really don't think she remembers much about it. Now, the video that her aunt gave her of the San Francisco Ballet production - that she remembers! (And it didn't cost us a dime!:) I love family members who ask for suggestions for gifts.) And remember that read-alouds at the library with crafts can be done at home, too. The point is that your dd will remember time spent with you. And the memories will be best if you're not stressing about the money you're spending, be it on gas or tickets. If you want to do something special, could you plant something special - maybe sunflowers - that she can watch grow?

Please feel encouraged!

Mama Anna

You know what? It's not academics that keep me from getting out and doing all these special things with my kids. It's having a 3-year-old who doesn't nap and a 16-month-old (who's at the top of the weight charts, making her hard to handle) and being 20 weeks pregnant, and laundry spilling out my ears, and a house that's way too big with way too much stuff in it, and terrible back pain that crops up whenever I do even the bare minimum of housework, and a husband who works about 80 hours a week, and my mother-in-law's voice in my head pointing out everything I'm doing wrong.

A few read-alouds and a page of math occasionally isn't the problem. Honestly, it's just something my kid and I can do together that's quick and easy and won't contribute to the mess.

I am happy for those who can manage to get out to museums/zoos and such. I live in the middle of nowhere. I sometimes feel I am reading about an entirely different world...

I would also love to just do something outdoors with my 9 and 5 year old on our own property that wouldn't involve a 2 hour drive to the city...like plant a garden or something. But I have a 3 year old who will not stay in the yard and a 15 month old who is teething and wants to live in my lap. I don't really see a good way to do anything extracurricular honestly. If I manage to get 3 meals on the table, 1 nap for the 3yo, 2 naps for the 15 month old, laundry and dishes done, AND not have a splitting headache by the end....it's a good day for me. Doing all of that AND school for the 9 and 5 yo is kinda tough. Going out and doing something "fun" sounds exhausting. Seriously though, not everybody has entertainment at the ready in their community. We don't even have a Wal-Mart, let alone anything cultural or educational. I went to public school and only went on 1 field trip a year if I was lucky. Can't a family vacation once a year count as a field trip? (and here's hoping we can afford some manner of family vacation this year....)

Thank you for the reminder! As I sit here reading this, I currently have my 10yo dd in ps and my 4yo ds is home with me. I think too often he and I are running off to do what 'mommy "needs" to do' when we could be enjoying the zoos or multiple museums we are so fortunate to have nearby! Plus, as I plan on bringing my dd back home for school next year, I know she will do better with some 'breaks' here and there. So thank you for reminding me that we should take time to enjoy what is around us!

I am happy for those who can manage to get out to museums/zoos and such. I live in the middle of nowhere. I sometimes feel I am reading about an entirely different world...

I would also love to just do something outdoors with my 9 and 5 year old on our own property that wouldn't involve a 2 hour drive to the city...like plant a garden or something.

My children have loved a little trip we went on to see a small family dairy. Another big hit was a small county-type fair. I don't think small children need complicated event after complicated event.

I think looking at an animal in its natural surroundings is more exciting than an animal at the zoo. Don't sell yourself short or feel you have nothing.

Be inspired by Charlotte Mason, who felt that just roaming around outside, especially letting your children roam in your sight with the baby on a blanket (or lap!) would be excitement enough. Try looking at birds, flowers, trees, small animals, frogs, bugs, whatever, that you have in your yard. Maybe a field trip to your neighbor's house would be exciting, too -- does anyone keep bees or animals or anything like that nearby? Does anyone make jam or pies that you can watch and learn from? How about seeing how the store or post office work?

Yea! I love these threads. We took last week off and just played. We also went on a field trip to an alpaca farm and a farm machinery tour. Both were free, and on the people's personal property. They just love to do tours for kiddos and share.

It is very hard to do some things with babies though. Our co-op plans regular field trips and many of those my kids have to miss out on because one or both of my younger boys are not allowed due to age. I feel sad for my oldest ds when I can't take him to the symphany preformance, or the field trip at the TV news station because I'm not allowed to take my youngers ones. Sometimes DH can take time off work for field trips. Two weeks ago he took half a day off to take the boys on the field trip to a recycling center while I stayed home with the baby. Wish he could do that more often, but he does need to earn the money.

I also live a bit out so if we go anywhere it will take us all day. Those are times I pop the SOTW cds in, and we listen while we drive. I love those cds!

I started to post this under one of the posts asking for input on a schedule but, not being targeted to anyone in particular, I thought it was worth posting separately. I just want to throw out a suggestion to all moms of youngers. Take the time now while you have it to explore, discover, play. Go to the museums, historical sites, factory tours, u-pick farms, play days and pumpkin patches. Enjoy these young years. Believe me, they are fleeting and before you know it, you'll be up to your eyeballs in such hairy stuff that it's difficult to take a day off. :001_smile:

Even though I still have several littles, once my oldest hit a certain age, it became very hard to justify taking off for a field trip. And I hate leaving him to buckle down to his books while we go play! So, each year, it seems we take fewer and fewer field trips. And *I* miss them!

I'm sure you are already planning lots of this, but many are eager to jump into all the great curricula they've researched, reviewed and discussed and in their hastiness, overlook the glory of these precious years.

Many blessings! Go back to your regularly-scheduled planning!

Lisa

:iagree: I don't think there's anything, homeschooling-wise, that I have felt more strongly about than what you just said. So very often when I see new homeschool moms inputting their schedules and wanting advice, I want to yell what you just said from the rooftops!! NOT because I am having a superiority complex, but because I soooooooooo wish I had just lightened up and enjoyed it back then. Oh, to redo those years and had fun just being adventurous with them. I still have littles also, but I'm up against the same issue...I have older kids who it is hard to leave behind or pull along on a light-hearted field trip.

Teresa