Menu

DH got fired

So DH lost his job Saturday. On the one hand, it was an awful job and we've needed to find a way for him to not be working it for a while, but couldn't afford for him to just quit. On the other, DH with no job means money is even tighter around here.

He's filing for unemployment today.

DES wants documentation (for the change of income for our food stamps/medicaid), and given how unhappy his former boss is with him, that may be easier said than done. We're hoping the unemployment people will be able to give him something written to take to them.

Meanwhile, even though I really don't want to, I put my name in for a full-time supervisor position that should be opening up in a few months. It would be 40 hours a week, 5 overnight shifts...and a fairly substantial payraise (between $100 and $150 a week).

We're hoping DH can find a job on campus, something that will actually work with his school schedule or even be related to his studies. Ideally, it'd come with a tuition waiver and enough money to cover his child support payments.

Why does financial craziness always seem to happen right before the holidays?

So DH lost his job Saturday. On the one hand, it was an awful job and we've needed to find a way for him to not be working it for a while, but couldn't afford for him to just quit. On the other, DH with no job means money is even tighter around here.

DES wants documentation (for the change of income for our food stamps/medicaid), and given how unhappy his former boss is with him, that may be easier said than done. We're hoping the unemployment people will be able to give him something written to take to them.

Meanwhile, even though I really don't want to, I put my name in for a full-time supervisor position that should be opening up in a few months. It would be 40 hours a week, 5 overnight shifts...and a fairly substantial payraise (between $100 and $150 a week).

We're hoping DH can find a job on campus, something that will actually work with his school schedule or even be related to his studies. Ideally, it'd come with a tuition waiver and enough money to cover his child support payments.

I wish you the best of luck. We have been in a similar situation, and I know a lot of other people are too. :grouphug:

Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end :grouphug:

We have just gone through my husband being laid off due to funding cutbacks. I understand. Hang in there :) I am a firm believer that everything is for a reason (even though it is impossible to understand at the time) and hopefully something much better will come your way soon.

It would probably be better for me to get the promotion than for him to find another job right away. He was falling behind in Japanese and plans to take 17 credit hours next semester, so he can take Japanese at the CC (on the advice of one of the Uni's Japanese instructors--the one whose class he isn't in) next semester, and still get in his 12 hours for full time for financial aid at the university.

If I get the promotion, among other things I'll be full time and thus be able to get disability insurance, and maybe have time to accrue a little sick time, both of which will help a lot when the baby comes. Right now we're looking at me being out of work for 6 weeks to 2 months, and I'll get about a week and a half of vacation and personal time, the rest unpaid.

:grouphug:. I hope something wonderful appears soon for both of you! Also, I don't know about your college town, but I have found that in the last two I have lived in, besides bartending, the most lucrative jobs are large apartment leasing offices :-). If you or DH have a salesperson mentality, those jobs can pay a lot and be very flexible.

Edited by 3littlekeets

Once he registers for unemployment, they will send him a letter telling him that he is eligible and how much he should receive. Take that to DES to show the change in his income level.

For the child support issue.....have him file a motion with the court to have it reduced since his income has been reduced. These documents can be obtained from the courthouse and filled out by him without an attorney. There is probably a filing fee, but ask the court if they have an income waiver where you simply show documentation (again the letter from Unemployment) that says your income is below their required level and the fees may be waived. Then, take documentation of his income (same letter), your expenses (gather up bills showing minimum payments, etc). Since you already have a court order they already know that he's married and has other children so unless you've added to your family since hte last hearing, no need for proof of dependents. While it's possible that his ex will hire an attorney to fight it.....he can represent himself and this is really one of the easier hearings to represent yourself. Child support is really about numbers. If he's awarded unemployment then their possible argument that he quit just to avoid child support is moot.....and then the only other argument is that he should be able to find another job quickly. His rebuttal to that is that the economy says differently....and he'll want to bring along a list of everyone that he applies for jobs or even looks into jobs. Just to show he is trying, after all your family isn't going to survive on unemployment! Also take along the fact that he's getting DES. Again, showing that he's not got the money to pay support, or at least not that amount.

Now...the downside to going to court to change support is that if a change is granted, the court will likely schedule a follow up in 6 months or something, and if by then he's making more money, there is the chance that the support will be raised based on the new income. So...if by chance he sends his support and never sees the ex or the child, you may want to weigh whether it's worth asking for a decrease if that would then mean ex would know that he changed jobs. In other words...once he has a better paying job he's not obligated to tell her so she can request an increase, it's up to her to know to request it....and of course asking for a decrease puts that under the radar.

Good luck!:grouphug:

Now...the downside to going to court to change support is that if a change is granted, the court will likely schedule a follow up in 6 months or something, and if by then he's making more money, there is the chance that the support will be raised based on the new income. So...if by chance he sends his support and never sees the ex or the child, you may want to weigh whether it's worth asking for a decrease if that would then mean ex would know that he changed jobs. In other words...once he has a better paying job he's not obligated to tell her so she can request an increase, it's up to her to know to request it....and of course asking for a decrease puts that under the radar.

Good luck!:grouphug:

Lovely advice.

It irks me to no end that people have children, get divorced, start new families and think it is just too expensive to pay child support for those other children. How silly to think that those kids with the custodial parent may need new shoes, clothing. God forbid they want to eat! Sorry.......mommy/daddy has a new family.

End of my rant.

Hmm...the child support, where to begin?

DH has, in fact, attempted to have it reduced because of his reduced income. The last attempt, the State of Idaho (where the divorce was filed and his ex used to live) said they would forward it all to Arizona as that is now where the child resides. Then, a few weeks later, DH got a notice that because of lack of response from involved parties, the request was denied.

Arizona DES says that it's Idaho's baliwick. So we're kind of stuck on that front.

DH is all for supporting his DD1. The fact that his ex hasn't actually COLLECTED any of the child support in the last several years is kind of...annoying is the wrong word, considering the hardship that obligation places on us. Flabbergasting? Ourtrageous? The child support is still set at a rate in keeping with the job he had several years ago; it was reasonable then, with our current situation, it just isn't.

He hasn't seen his daughter (now 13) since she was 3. At this point, without money to go to court (ha!), he has no hope of it; we know they're in Arizona somewhere; DH's mother is still in touch with his ex and probably has their address, but won't share it. He doesn't like that it's this way; it was his ex's choice in the matter.