Menu

S/O Do you prefer Miracle Whip or Mayo?

S/O Do you prefer Miracle Whip or Mayo  

1. 1. S/O Do you prefer Miracle Whip or Mayo

• Miracle Whip
    • Mayo

Okay, that's four for Duke's. We need a new poll, Hellman's, homemade, or Duke's ;)

:iagree: This was me! I only would eat Miracle Whip as a kid, but now I think its gross. My dh insists we only buy Duke's Mayo.

Miracle Whip is disgusting.

We grew up with Hellman's full fat mayo, and I believed it was the only mayo one should ever use UNTIL I moved down south at the age of 32. Being here, I've discovered Duke's, and it trumps Hellman's any day! :tongue_smilie:

Mayo, but only on a handful of things (e.g. BLT, tomato sandwich, turkey sandwich, deviled eggs). *Never* on hamburgers. What is it about the states that hamburgers come slathered with mayonnaise by default? Uck. Why not just eat it out of the jar? *shudder*

Miracle Whip is unspeakably vile, no matter how it's used.

I never realized there was a difference. So, what is the difference?

Miracle Whip is made the same way and of similar ingredients as commercial, mass-produced mayonnaise, but with an added spice mixture so unsavory as to render it unpalatable. Though to be fair, I find the majority of mass-produced mayonnaise to be unpalatable as well.

I didn't vote because I like them equally well, depending on what I'm using it for. Mayo is for chicken salad or tuna salad. Miracle Whip is my preference for sandwiches. I do not know why I prefer Miracle Whip on sandwiches, I just do. So I keep both in the house. However, I am the only one in the house who likes Miracle Whip. My MIL introduced it to me. :)

Huh. I never realized so many people despised Miracle Whip! It's all I ever had growing up. I've since acquired a taste for mayo and will crave it in tuna salad sometimes, so I didn't vote. I usually have a small jar of mayo around for recipes and occasional cravings. I prefer Miracle Whip on sandwiches and my husband will not eat mayo, so we always have a big jar of Whip around.

Here's something gross for you to ponder: my mom used to eat Miracle Whip on Oreo cookies :ack2:.

I've never tried either, I don't think.

We didn't eat sandwiches, tuna or chicken salad, or devil eggs as kids bc those aren't normal foods for us. I don't make (or eat) any of those now. Nor do my kids lol.

Maybe I'll have to do a taste test - the strong feelings on each side have truly piqued my curiosity as to what I'm missing!

I've only tried Miracle Whip once or twice in my life, and while I can't remember where or when I do quite clearly recall that I thought it was vile.

Hellmann's mayo all the way. Love the stuff, although I try not to eat it too often because whoa, calories.

Add another Duke's fan :D (though the regular only, the light, fat free and cholesterol free all have sweetener :ack2:). The big difference, for those who are not fortunate enough to have experienced the true wonder that is Duke's mayonnaise (especially on a tomato sandwich;)), is that Duke's has no sugar or sweetener at all. My father didn't believe we could tell the difference until he had us do a blind taste test of two different mayos on saltines. No contest.

Coincidentally, we're doing some "taste-testing" at home now with mayo. We've concluded that the Trader Joe's mayo without sweetener still tastes like Hellmans (so, fail ;)), and Lowe's Foods Best Value Southern Style Mayo (also no sweetener) may be an acceptable substitute for Duke's for those times when the budget is tight.

Sorry, for me, Miracle Whip falls into the category of "not food."

Only Duke's mayo here....

Add another Duke's fan :D
Love Duke's Mayo...

So that's what... sevenish? Lol, out of around 150 *snort.* Someone alert Duke's, they need to grow their market :lol:

Here's something gross for you to ponder: my mom used to eat Miracle Whip on Oreo cookies :ack2:.

I agree, that's really gross!

I found Duke's at Central Market yesterday in TX. It had very simple ingredients like the Spectrum mayo I already buy, but soybean oil was the first ingredient. Spectrum has canola. Which is worse for you? I would have guessed soybean, but I know that canola is always genetically modified, so I can't decide.