Menu

Hunting...opinions needed.

This October, my husband would like to go hunting in the Colorado wilderness with our just turned 15 year old son. I would like him to go without our son. Here is some background:

We moved to TX from CA two years ago. Life in CA did not involve any hunting or talk of hunting or interest in hunting. Once here in TX, my husband spent time around people for who hunting is a way of life, and a natural part of life. He bought a rifle, and when hunting season began he went hunting exactly twice, which involved sitting in a deer stand on his coworker's property for several hours without even seeing a deer. That is the sum of his experience. His experience with guns is similarly limited. He goes to the shooting range a few times a year.

Don't get me wrong...my husband is very intelligent and capable, and I know hunting isn't rocket science (although I recognize there is skill involved). Before my husband goes on this trip he will be taking a hunting safety course (it's a requirement), and my son, if allowed to go, would take the course as well. My son has no experience at all with shooting or hunting. He was never the type to be interested in it, but he is interested in his dad and being close to him.

My husband wants our son to go because there will be lots of bonding time, the scenery will be gorgeous and majestic, it will involve camping and things like that in addition to the trying to kill beautiful creatures in their natural habit just for the fun of it. I don't want our son to go because my husband has never really hunted. He has never shot, killed, skinned an animal. I think he can do it just fine, but I would like him to have experienced it before getting our son involved. I know my son and despite his fascination with weapons, I know he would not take pleasure in killing an animal. Shooting a gun, yes, the hunt and challenge, yes, but the actual killing, no. He's not even a big meat eater...he could take it or leave it.

I'm sorry this is getting so long. Anyway, I just want to know what you would do in this situation...to get some perspective from other moms who perhaps agree to things that they're not comfortable with because you recognize that men are different from women, etc. I am a Christian who tries to be a loving, supportive wife. I don't think we can afford hunting; I don't complain. I hate the idea of hunting (not wishing to debate this; just my feelings), but I recognize my husband's right to feel differently and don't try to prevent him from hunting. But when it comes to our kids we have to compromise and I just would prefer my son not get involved in hunting yet. He's only a few years away from 18...can't it wait? My husband was 38 his first time.

Thank you SO much for reading...give it to me straight.

Safety first: Your dh and son would take a course and your dh isn't super experienced but he isn't totally new to shooting either. So, I think they should be ok on safety.

Bonding: What a wonderful experience for the men in your life! This really is not about killing Bambi. It's about being outside, dirty, with each other!

Hunting: I doubt it will be wholesale carnage. They may very well not see a deer at all. And they may very well miss. But if they do get one, I think a 15 year old is big enough to handle it. Will your dh force him to skin the animal etc. if he gets grossed out? If your dh is sensitive to your son then I think they will be just fine.

I've had to step back a few times and let my husband lead our boys in a way that was definite "manly" and not the way my mommy's heart would have directed them. My husband is just the kind of man I want my sons to grow into. He is capable of growing our sons into men. I think this is a great way for your husband and son to engage in something that is away from home and interesting to both. BTW, my sons are 16 and 12.

I hope that helps,

Christi

with some mentoring from you and DH. If he wants to go, he should go. If he doesn't want to, that's different. If he wants to be with your DH but isn't sure how he will feel about the shooting and skinning, I think at 15 he could articulate this and share his mixed emotions.

I think you should stay entirely out of it, apart from hearing your son out on his feelings and encouraging him to talk to his father.

It sounds like a lot of fun, honestly. I think your DH and son will really benefit from the time together.

You know, it sounds to me that it is very much a terrific attempt on your husband's part to make memories for your son. Since we've moved to AL from CT, my dh, too, has talked about taking DS hunting! And it really is for a bonding, make memories kind of experience.

My .02? Ask yourself - is it worth it to my marriage to cause possible resentment over this hunting experience? For me - I'd let them go. Father son stuff is difficult to negotiate - praise God that He has turned your dh's heart to his son -

I know how you feel Denise! Since we moved here to PA from NJ my dh as also developed an interest in hunting. My boys are too young to hunt yet but they go dear spotting and turkey calling for fun anyway. It has been a wonderful bonding experience for them.

I pretty much agree with everything everyone has said here. It sounds like you need some kind of reassurance from your hubby and son. I think you should explain your feelings to them and may be they can help you calm your fears. I doubt it will be as bad as you fear and at 15 your son can probably deal with it.

I would also pray for peace. God has a way of working in these situations.

I will pray that all goes well for you!

Adrianne

This is just my opinion--just my opinion--got that everyone?

I don't like hunting. I totally get that it's a sport, that it's necessary sometimes to keep population down, that Christians have dominion over the earth (in case someone throws that one out), that people have been doing it for thousands (or millions, whatever floats your boat) of years, etc etc etc.

For me, there's got to be a better way to bond than to go out and kill something. Why not have the camping experience and take a camera? It involves the same level of "stealth" to get close to an animal and shoot it with a camera as it does to shoot it with a gun. There's the same talking time, making camp activity, being out in nature with a photo shoot as there is with a gun shoot (if that's even a phrase). It's just as dangerous and manly--watch Wild America if you don't think so.

Is it the dominion thing that makes hunting fun and attractive? Is it the harkening back to our forefathers thing? Is it the power thing? Is it all about providing meat for your family? What is it, anyway, that makes hunting attractive? I don't mean to hijack the thread, I'm just wondering if there's another way to gain the same benefits without the hunting part--not because I'm terribly opposed or think it's wrong, I just don't get it. And, with the inexperience of your man, I'd just think twice about it.

I guess, though, ultimately, I would let your son go. (Didn't see that coming, did ya? :lol:) If it's a guy thing, well, it's a guy thing. At least he wants to spend time with Dad, and vice versa. That's rare as they get older. But I still think there might be alternatives.

If it were me, I'd want my DH to go first without my son. I'd also be worried, if my son eventually went hunting and actually killed an animal, that he would be traumatized. I think I would be traumatized, for sure, if I killed a mammal or bird on purpose.

I have no beef with hunters, though, although I am not happy with thrill killers (those who hunt for the trophy, not the meat).

My brother, OTOH, is an avid hunter and brags all the time that his young daughter was only 9 years old when she bagged her first deer. He is appalled that my children are being raised in the North and that they have never hunted. He thinks that my kids should have been raised in the South and should have been taken hunting by age 8.

There is definitely a cultural difference in views: Up here, I've only met one person who hunts in the entire 19 years I've lived here.

In the end, what would probably happen here is if my DS wanted to go hunting and was 15 years old, DS and DH took a hunting safety course and were fully equipped with safety gear, and plenty of experienced hunters were accompanying he and his dad, I'd let him go. I'd worry and pray the whole time, but I'd keep that to myself. I'd figure the whole deal was a man thing.

RC

Hunting is a major activity here in South Dakota! It is a great bonding activity for fathers/sons or even daughters. I know a few mothers who also hunt. Although I never had the desire to handle a gun, I have wonderful memories of walking the fields on a clear, crisp fall morning hunting pheasants with my dad, grandfather and uncles. My husband was gifted with my grandfathers hunting rifle when he passed away and it is a treasure to our family mostly because of the precious times they spent together.

I would second the advice of someone else...safety courses are critical. But I would also suggest that they start with something easier such as birds or fowl just to get the hang of handling a gun and shooting at a moving object before jumping into big game. Also, the logistics of big game are more complicated and expensive, especially if you don't live close by, (cleaning the game, getting it out of the field, transporting to a locker, and shipping the meat) than dealing with birds or fowl. Also, you won't have to come up with as many recipes for cooking the meat. :)

In South Dakota, there are so many hunting lodges to choose from where a guide will take you on a hunt and coach you through cleaning your game (or clean it for you if you prefer.) Thousands of people fly in from around the country every fall to hunt here. The lodges are very accommodating. If you google South Dakota hunting lodge you will find several. I hope they enjoy it.

I don't like hunting. I totally get that it's a sport, that it's necessary sometimes to keep population down, that Christians have dominion over the earth (in case someone throws that one out), that people have been doing it for thousands (or millions, whatever floats your boat) of years, etc etc etc.

For me, there's got to be a better way to bond than to go out and kill something. Why not have the camping experience and take a camera? It involves the same level of "stealth" to get close to an animal and shoot it with a camera as it does to shoot it with a gun. There's the same talking time, making camp activity, being out in nature with a photo shoot as there is with a gun shoot (if that's even a phrase). It's just as dangerous and manly--watch Wild America if you don't think so.

Is it the dominion thing that makes hunting fun and attractive? Is it the harkening back to our forefathers thing? Is it the power thing? Is it all about providing meat for your family? What is it, anyway, that makes hunting attractive? I don't mean to hijack the thread, I'm just wondering if there's another way to gain the same benefits without the hunting part--not because I'm terribly opposed or think it's wrong, I just don't get it. And, with the inexperience of your man, I'd just think twice about it.

I guess, though, ultimately, I would let your son go. (Didn't see that coming, did ya? :lol:) If it's a guy thing, well, it's a guy thing. At least he wants to spend time with Dad, and vice versa. That's rare as they get older. But I still think there might be alternatives.

I love the way you worded every single thing in all of your parentheses.

I agree with you that there are alot of other bonding ways in this world.

It is a guy thing. So let him go.

The safety class may do them both worlds of good.

I know a few hunters. I respect the ones who eat what they kill. I will eat what they kill. yummy.

In the future it will be a valuable skill to posess.

My ds is nowhere near hunting age, and DH doesn't really get into hunting that much. He has gone with my dad, he has gone with his brother, but it's not likely that he'll just choose to go hunting when ds is older.

However, I wouldn't question it if they did. Just a thought here, if you don't want to eat the meat (which is very good btw) there are places you can donate it. There are LOTS of people who would gladly take venison and it would feed a lot of people. Everyone I know who hunts also eats what they hunt. Several people even depend on that for their meat throughout the year. Venison is very healthy. So, it doesn't have to be just "sport" killing.

That being said, the thought of dh taking ds and shooting a deer makes me cringe, but it would be something they could definately do together that mom is NOT going to be involved in.

(I hope they're not hunting deer in Colorado. They would be hunting elk, correct? I think the deer here taste awful. Not to mention CWD.)

Before I give my answer, I want to say that I have hunted deer (in Minnesota), pheasant, and small game. Both dds have hunted with me. However, I would pause before sending a child of mine off hunting with someone whose hunting experience was one hunt with no kills. For me, there would be a question of safety and a question of fun. If they are hiring a guide, I would be all for the trip.

Hunting: I doubt it will be wholesale carnage. They may very well not see a deer at all. And they may very well miss.

I was going to say the same thing. Sometimes hunting is like fishing - it's not really about bagging anything, just an excuse to be outdoors, do some male bonding, and have peace and quiet. As long as all the safety requirements have been met, I'd say let 'em go. It's probably not much about the deer anyway.

How wonderful that your dh wants to have some male bonding with your son. I always remember Dr. Laura saying that kids need moms to try and protect their kids and nuture them, and they need dads to push them outside their comfort zones. Sounds like this is one of those times, and, even though this would not be your first choice of activities, remember to be thankful that your dh wants to bong with your ds!!

I'd let him go. Fifteen is nearly grown up and it sounds like a great way for the two of them to learn together. Most likely they won't even see any wildlife and if they do they'll make some kind of mistake that scares it away. The two of them will get exercise, get tired, get the chance to be on their own without you influencing them. It will be wonderful, and even if it isn't it will be wonderful that they're together.

I guess by now you've heard of the terrible tragedy that happened today. A hunter shot and killed his 8yo son while they hunted for turkey. He had asked the boy to stay behind and the little boy did not listen and followed his dad. The dad thought his little boy was a turkey and shot him. I can not possibly imagine what that family is going through!

God bless you in your decision. Perhaps now might not be the best timing.

Kim in TN (used to be in NV)

Let them go.

I'm going to stick my neck out here, know that I'm talking in general and NOT to you, I don't know you.........so here goes.

I think as homeschooling moms we can produce the biggest sissy boys around. We're with our sons so much, and we do it in the name of "close relationships", and "quality time", or whatever. Boys shouldn't be made to feel that their desire to do things like climb trees, shoot guns and canoe the rapids are a bad thing. Moms shouldn't try to project their feelings about such activities on their boys.

I'd much rather have a boy that was a bit rough around the edges than one that's effeminate. And I'll stick my neck out further and say that I sure don't want my girls marrying a mama's boy.

There's a ditch on both sides of the road. Boys can grow up unfeeling and be terrible at nuturing, and I don't want that either. But when my boys walk in with a nasty dead turkey, or smelly fish, I bite my tongue and cook it for them. And then I eat it with them.

Let them go. In my opinion 15 is pretty old to be going on your first hunt.

Let them go.

I think as homeschooling moms we can produce the biggest sissy boys around. We're with our sons so much, and we do it in the name of "close relationships", and "quality time", or whatever. Boys shouldn't be made to feel that their desire to do things like climb trees, shoot guns and canoe the rapids are a bad thing. Moms shouldn't try to project their feelings about such activities on their boys.

I'd much rather have a boy that was a bit rough around the edges than one that's effeminate. And I'll stick my neck out further and say that I sure don't want my girls marrying a mama's boy.

Hear! Hear! I have to watch this tendency in myself.

First, bravo on your husband wanting to take that course first. They are really fantastic. I just took it about 2 weeks ago with my kids.

My husband is going elk hunting this year with some experienced hunters. He wants to get a better feel for the best places and ways to hunt elk then he may actually take my daughters hunting, who have assured me they can look at a cute Bambi and shoot it, no doubt because of the attitude of their parents, which effects kids a lot. So, they'll go next year. I think there is some wisdom in having your husband go first but your son isn't really a little kid. He's nearly a man. It's just as reasonable to think they could learn together at this point.

Is it possible that your concern for killing a living thing is causing you to make assumptions over your son's feelings? Or could you be encouraging this in him, which is really not going to be best for the man he's trying to become in following in his father's footsteps? Can I suggest you take the course too? I don't intend to hunt anytime soon but my husband requested I take it and I did. I can now keep up with everything going on and advise the children.

Are you vegetarian? I think hunting is, in many ways, a more humane thing than 1) letting the animals destroy their own habitat with excessive numbers or starve to death in the winter when there are too many (something carefully calculated and managed, as they'd learn in a hunter safety course) and 2) better than the life so many dairy cows, chickens, and other animals live in a feed lot. I really sort of think that if we're going to eat the meat, we should own up to where we get the meat and such a thing would be a good life lesson for a young man.

My husband has taken up shooting a lot lately and nothing freaks a mother out more than when a father takes his SEVEN year old son out to the national forest in a canyon to shoot where there is no cell phone service and is late returning home. (2 weeks ago as a treat after my son took the Hunter Safety course.) I admit I lost a bit of my wifely respect on that one, but only a bit. ;) Then today I read of a recent gun accident with a father and a nine year old son hunting turkey to make my heart stop and cause me to almost lose my resolve. But I realize how very rare such things are and I have to trust God and trust my husband in the end.

If I caught his age correctly, he'll be driving in about a year? I'd be more frightened of that one! LOL!

I'll be the dissenter and say no. If this is not a value you want to instill in your son, tell your husband so and put your foot down. To me, this is not a little issue. This would be one battle I'd be prepared to fight.

Guest Amy in MS

I haven't read all of the replys, so I apologize if I'm just rehashing stuff from others.

I grew up in a hunting dominated area of Colorado; in fact, my father was a game warden, and every one I knew hunted. I only hunted small game, we never needed the meat, so I never killed large game--my brother and dad hunted the large game.

That said, I'd let them go, but I'd also want them to go with someone experienced.

Does your husband have any idea how to hunt in Colorado? We had so many idiots fall out of Cedar brush because they tried to build stands. That's not how you hunt in Colorado. Mostly, you walk up and down mountains for hours. Hours.

My brother has walked over 8 hours a day some days.

That's good male bonding time.

I wouldn't expect guys go know how to hunt just because they have a card that says they can shoot a gun. They need to have someone take them out the first time. They need to know how to gut the animal properly, what to do with the remains, etc.

There's so much more to it than walking out into the countryside and shooting something.

I'd let 'em go, but I'd want them to know what they heck they were doing. Maybe they could go to a hunting ranch.

Lots of ranchers open their homes on their properties and host hunters during the fall and winter. (I just thought of this, honestly, I'm not trying to make you a pitch). I'm from one of the most gorgeous areas of CO. (Unfortunately, it's about to be destroyed by all the big Energy moving in.) I can give you the names and contact info of some hunting outfits. They'd provide hubby and son with food, place to stay, and guided hunting into the wilds. (Sorry, this really sounds like a pitch now, but it's not). Let me know if you want info. PM

Amy

Guest Amy in MS

Hi, PICO,

There's no reason to worry about CWD in the deer, mostly. You can have it tested.

It depends on where you get your deer, of course, and some times the year, in reference to the taste. The first year we ate antelope it was hideous. The next year, delicious. Never had a deer or elk I didn't like :) Haven't got CWD yet.

Amy

Guest Amy in MS

Oh, one more thought. Does the son actually want to shoot an animal, or does he just want to be involved with the hunt? If you son doesn't want to bag anything, he can just go with Dad and the guides, or whatever. Guys do that all the time; not everyone on the hunt is expected to try to kill something. If your son has any qualms about killing something, he shouldn't have to, but if he wants to be a part of the adventure--what they hey? Let him come along, he'll learn just as much! It will also cost you less if he doesn't get a tag. Out of state, depending on what you're hunting, they can cost an arm and a leg!

(My brother and I began hunting at the ripe old age of 5--rabbits. We didn't like for them to be dead, but we liked going out with Dad, and we liked the challenge. .. and we liked eating the tasty little buggers. :) )

Amy

IF they are headed off into the wilderness alone, without guides, without assurance that their lack of skill will be compensated by more than a single safety course, I'd be barring the door. I'm hoping that's not the case since you said they were taking a trip that required a safety course first.

IF they will have proper guidance, this sounds like an experience they might both remember for the rest of their lives. And, it might lead to additional ways for them to stay connected in the future. IMO, the chance at creating opportunities to maintain a strong connection to your teenage son is worth exploring. My father was a hunter, untill his physical abilities failed him. I have two older brothers. One never took much interest, though he did hunt a time or two. The other took a more active interest, but you'd never call him a hunter now. He enjoyed the "manly" time, the jokes the old guys tell, the experience of it, not so much the actual hunting (though that didn't bother him, philosophically)

IF you have strong personal opposition to the act of hunting, you should discuss those feelings with both your "guys" and give them another perspective. They could "hunt" with cameras, and still enjoy all the other experiences that come part and parcel that kind of a trip.

IF there is any hint of jealousy niggling at your heart in these feelings (not implying that there is, just realizing it's a possibility), then that's your stuff to work on.

Best wishes

Either let them go - odds are all they will do is "man talk" w/o even seeing an animal to shoot - or buy them some nifty fishing equipment and send them off on a fishing trip. Just as much time for male-bonding! in the great outdoors, w/o the danger of guns.

My dad grew up dove hunting as a teen, later when we were kids he'd go duck hunting. But mostly he loved to fish - Sunday mornings he'd go surf fishing with his local fishing buddies at 4am (S. California), and our summer vacations would be someplace with a lake full of fish. Note - he HATED eating fish - it was just an excuse to go sit by himself or with a buddy or two in the great outdoors.

Think of it as "spa day" for guys. :001_smile:

I hate hunting. I'd be fine with a "bonding" trip that didn't involve hunting. If I could tolerate hunting at all, I would definitely want my dh to have more experience before taking a teenager for the first time.

Growing up, our neighbors lost a teenage son to a hunting accident. His father was an experienced hunter too, and the son had been through a safety course. Just a day or two ago CNN had a story about a father who thought his son was a turkey and shot him fatally. (I only read the headline because stories like that bother me.)

We moved from the city to a rural area where farming and hunting are huge. My dd's high school has no problem with teenagers taking off days or even a week at a time to go hunting with their parents. We have watched hunters shoot their guns near our house. (Not any more. The land around us is now posted.)

My dh works with a lot of hunters who insist to him it isn't about the killing, the blood-lust, etc. It's all about being out in nature, tracking the deer, et al. When my dh points out that you can get all that by hunting with a camera instead of a gun, they have no answer.

Guns are not necessary for male bonding. JMO.

This is what I think........that the hunting thing is just a part of how males are wired. Guys are different from gals. I didn't realize how different until one afternoon when I had two little boys in one bathtub and two little girls in another. I was walking back and forth checking, and the girls were having a tea party. The boys were standing up and having a water battle. Everything in that bathroom was wet.

Men are wired to take care of their families. At least correctly wired men are. I guess there's the occasional bum. (cough, cough, my sister's stbx)

The hunting is an outlet for all that testosterone. Hunting with a camera isn't hunting. There's nothing wrong with it, it just isn't hunting. When a guy comes home with a deer slung over his horse, he knows he can handle things. And for them, this translates over into their family life and work life.

Personally, the less deer and turkey around here the better. The #%$@ things spook my horses.

Don't emasculate the guys. Let them be guys, it's not a crime.

Guest Amy in MS
See, it's the "mostly" there that bothers me.

But I feel the same about food I buy in the store. Spinach is free from e-coli, mostly. Beef is too, mostly.

I have no greater fear with the deer than with food I buy. Granted--there's a risk, but there always is.

Amy

I would have to say a big NO. If its a bonding experience then send them camping for a week in the mountains with a guide. The men in Texas do not hunt. This is a personal opinion only, putting out feed all year long then going to a tower a bit away from the feeder and shooting them when they come to eat is NOT hunting, it is killing. I have to question what kind of person that is. My dh grew up in SD and had to hunt for food and would do it again IF he had to. He has taken oldest son out camping and taught him how to shoot the rifle if he ever had to;this was a great bonding time for them, but no animal had to die for them to connect together. Sorry this turned into vent,:glare: I will try and be quiet now.

I'd say they should go--IF they're going with an experienced hunter(s). If it was my DH and DD, I'd want to go too. (actually, given what a non-outdoorsman my DH is, DD and I going together would be more likely). Hunting licenses are issued in large part to manage the wild deer. It isn't wholesale killing, even if it is done expediently (lure to a stand and shoot). For wholesale killing, go to a CAFO/slaughterhouse sometime.

If nothing else, I personally wouldn't want to ruin my first kill because I didn't know how to properly handle the carcass. It has to be drained, gutted correctly, etc. or the meat will foul. I've never done this in my life, and I'd want experienced hands along to teach me.

If they don't plan on eating it, they shouldn't shoot it. I'd want to eat it and take the hide and horns for use as well.