Menu

A TWTM Book/Academics site?

I joined expecting to read and participate is discussions by homeschoolers directly related to the book The Well Trained Mind, its recommendations, scheduling, and trivium educational philosophy. There doesn't seem to be much of that here. Is there another site that does this?

Is there a version of this site that is more organized and more easily navigated by being divided into separate categories like academics, lifestyle, trivium philosophy, dealing with criticism, social chat for participants etc.?

I don't think there's anything wrong with a socially oriented group like this, but my interest is primarily in reading from experienced homeschoolers discussions about trivium educational philosophy and academics. If anyone can give me a lead on one more suited to my interests I would appreciate it.

I'm pretty sure this is as close as you are going to get. I know it is frustrating sometimes and I would love to have a subgroup of people who are really committed to classical education. I do find it interesting to read other viewpoints and I have been on this board a long time so I am used to it by now. Maybe someone else will know of a more focused group.

Yes, I think the curriculum board would be the place. Also, we have had many long and deep conversations about these things in the past, and will again! We have some amazingly knowledgeable folks here who are founts of wisdom on the topics you're hoping for. (Perhaps some of the folks that keep those threads on bookmark could post them, to strut our stuff? :D)

But I have to say that I only want to have those conversations sometimes, not all the time. Sometimes I have to talk about something that isn't classical education, only with folks who get where I'm coming from, KWIM? But those conversations are here, and this is the only place I know of to get them.

I agree that the curriculum boards and high school boards are more geared toward this. I will also say that there is FAR more academic discussion in the summer and early fall when people are planning for the next year.

One other thing? People don't give out full book and curriculum lists here because they don't want to copy lists out of TWTM and violate the copyright of our generous hosts.

I joined expecting to read and participate is discussions by homeschoolers directly related to the book The Well Trained Mind, its recommendations, scheduling, and trivium educational philosophy. There doesn't seem to be much of that here. Is there another site that does this?

Is there a version of this site that is more organized and more easily navigated by being divided into separate categories like academics, lifestyle, trivium philosophy, dealing with criticism, social chat for participants etc.?

I don't think there's anything wrong with a socially oriented group like this, but my interest is primarily in reading from experienced homeschoolers discussions about trivium educational philosophy and academics. If anyone can give me a lead on one more suited to my interests I would appreciate it.

instead of complaining about it why don't you start some threads about the topics you are interested in. I'm sure others would participate.

I consider my post to free of any whining.

One of the reasons I would like to have discussions formatted that way is because reading older threads 1) includes the wisdom and experience of more people than those who happen to be participating at the moment and 2) reading discussions related to aspects of a Classical Education at a stage my children have not yet reached or a subject we have not yet started can answer questions I didn't know I might have int he future and address issues I have yet to face, making me better prepared. My time is extremely limited.

Since this is a website called Well Trained Mind, it seemed to me to be the most logical place to ask people who might know of an existing website rather than reinventing the wheel and waiting for activity to build up.

I am not interested in people posting booklists copied from a book I own. I am interested in how people have taken the recommendations and used them and adapted them to meet the needs of each individual child in each individual homeschool.

From my experience, this is the best/most active homeschooling board on the net. There is a lot of info. here on all of the topics you mentioned and the ladies (and men!) are very willing to answer questions. There are many of us here who are closely following the trivium philosophy laid out in TWTM, and who have done so for many years. You can use the search feature if you are looking to find answers in a particular area. Otherwise, ask away. However, you will want to do it on the K-8 Curriculum or High School boards. The general board is a social chat area.

I do not know of any site that is laid out in the exact way you are describing.

From my experience, this is the best/most active homeschooling board on the net. There is a lot of info. here on all of the topics you mentioned and the ladies (and men!) are very willing to answer questions. There are many of us here who are closely following the trivium philosophy laid out in TWTM, and who have done so for many years. You can use the search feature if you are looking to find answers in a particular area. Otherwise, ask away. However, you will want to do it on the K-8 Curriculum or High School boards. The general board is a social chat area.

I do not know of any site that is laid out in the exact way you are describing.

:iagree: My eldest is in ninth grade. We have more or less followed TWTM recommendations since she was in kindergarten. I've done the same for my other two kids. I have made many threads on why I chose this grammar curriculum over that one. There are many threads where I made science suggestions for various grades and ages. I have participated in heavy debates on the value (or lack thereof) of various programs. I have discussed how I did not use the exact same program with all of my children because they are very different children. The same can be said of most of the regulars here.

What are the pitfalls of using Math U See, Teaching Textbooks or some other math program? Most of the regular visitors to the curriculum board can tell you exactly what they are. Why do some people choose SSR&W or 100EZ Lessons instead of OPGTR? What are the pros and cons of each program? Most of the regular visitors to the curriculum board can tell you.

If this isn't the place for you, it isn't the place for you. But, I will tell you it's one of the best hsing forums out there and probably the busiest other than the Sonlight forums (which are not free, not Classical and do not welcome certain criticisms).

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I consider my post to free of any whining.

One of the reasons I would like to have discussions formatted that way is because reading older threads 1) includes the wisdom and experience of more people than those who happen to be participating at the moment and 2) reading discussions related to aspects of a Classical Education at a stage my children have not yet reached or a subject we have not yet started can answer questions I didn't know I might have int he future and address issues I have yet to face, making me better prepared. My time is extremely limited.

Since this is a website called Well Trained Mind, it seemed to me to be the most logical place to ask people who might know of an existing website rather than reinventing the wheel and waiting for activity to build up.

I am not interested in people posting booklists copied from a book I own. I am interested in how people have taken the recommendations and used them and adapted them to meet the needs of each individual child in each individual homeschool.

This is the best place to ask... but you have to ask.

If time is of the essence and you're not interested in fluff, then use the search tool (it's just under the left hand side of your "welcome" box). There are a great many threads discussing everything you seem to be looking for.

Hope that helps ;)

ETA, at the very bottom of the screen you'll find "tags." We have some very dilligent posters here that make sure that things like "classical curriculum" are properly tagged. That makes searching even easier.

I would search a topic you're interested in and start reading threads.

I would search then hit Tag Search. I occasionally will do this.

I think there is just a wealth of information on here. During the summer I spent weeks making Google docs of posts I read here with truly stellar information.

There are some great minds on here who are experienced, intelligent, and generous hs'ers.

I also agree when everyone is in "preparation mode" in the summer months that the curriculum info is abundant. I think Sept-Jan is crazy time for most of us and we're just struggling to keep it all together, and the board turns more from recource, to place to hang out and relax.

And definitely spend some time on the High School boards.

GL!

Edited by cjbeach

1. Does anyone incorporate Socratic questioning in the earlier years to encourage narration and in the later years as part of Logic and Rhetoric? If so, where do you go to get the questions?

2. Many of the early recommendations in TWTM and the activity books are geared for reading and writing. If a child is more visual (charts, graphs, diagrams, etc.) and struggles in writing, are there any recommendations geared to that particular learning style, or do I have to make them all up myself?

3. When assigning a book of Classic Literature to a HS student, are there general guidelines for setting deadlines to read the book and turn in an essay? How can I know what a reasonable time is to give when I don't have time to read the book myself?

4. Is there a list of alternative recommendations for library books when my library doesn't carry many of the suggested titles in TWTM and I don't have money (or the desire) to purchase them instead?

I also think that once school starts, people settle in to their own routines, and they just come here for downtime chatting.

I know I spend my summer discussing academics and my school year doing academics. I just like hanging out here during the school year.

If you ask specific questions, though, I am sure you will get responses.

1. Does anyone incorporate Socratic questioning in the earlier years to encourage narration and in the later years as part of Logic and Rhetoric? If so, where do you go to get the questions?

2. Many of the early recommendations in TWTM and the activity books are geared for reading and writing. If a child is more visual (charts, graphs, diagrams, etc.) and struggles in writing, are there any recommendations geared to that particular learning style, or do I have to make them all up myself?

3. When assigning a book of Classic Literature to a HS student, are there general guidelines for setting deadlines to read the book and turn in an essay? How can I know what a reasonable time is to give when I don't have time to read the book myself?

4. Is there a list of alternative recommendations for library books when my library doesn't carry many of the suggested titles in TWTM and I don't have money (or the desire) to purchase them instead?

You might want to start separate threads for these questions with detailed titles. People tend to respond most to threads they have a real stake in.

I can speak to the topic of book recomendations. When we started homeschooling, we lived overseas. We often didn't have access to the specific titles that are listed in WTM.

One thing to keep in mind is that the recommendations in WTM for something like history or science are recommendations. They obviously can't include books published since your edition of WTM came out. And they often don't list books that are out of print because the authors don't want to recommend books that are hard to get ahold of.

What has worked for us is to spend time getting really familiar with what our library does offer. I often found books that were equal to or better than the WTM recommendations, but were from British publishers and not often found in the US. Library book sales have also been my friend. I've been able to collect a lot of books for a small fraction of the cover price.

You should also try to think of why you want a particular book. Is it so you can do history with a less fluent reader or so you can delve more into a topic. The answer will drive what sort of book you're looking for.

I use the Veritas Press, Sonlight and Emmanuel Books catalogs for more book recommendations. I sometimes check out topical book threads here. And Tapestry of Grace booklists can give you an idea of the difficulty level of different titles.

I usually do more orally when this is the case. I find writing to be more physically laborious for my youngest son, so I do as much as I can orally. Even with math, I write out some of his problems. He is actually quite good at math, he just takes a long time to write, and it tires his hand.

I also read aloud a lot. I read all of our science and history aloud. This brings about natural discussions. I find this better at a younger age rather than sending the boys off to read on their own.

When I planned high school, I googled high school teachers' websites to get an idea of how many books they wanted their students to read and how many essays they required. I also took book recommendations from these websites and also college professor websites I found.

If you ask about a time period or subject matter, I am sure you will get many responses. I have lists of books we have used for history and certain science subjects on my blog. I personally LOVE scouring my library and Amazon's used books for history books, so I feel like I find a lot of treasures that are not listed in the SOTW activity guides. I always use her lists as a spring board, but I spend my summers searching for wonderful books to use in the upcoming year.

You'll probably get more answers if you start a separate thread for your questions. There are people who will open a thread for those types of questions that wouldn't for your original post. I can take a stab at them to get you started though.

#1. There are programs like 'Teaching the Classics' that can help you there.

#2. You might want to specify which subjects you are talking about.

#4 Your local librarian should be able to help you find suitable substitutes for any WTM recommendations. That is their job. Do remember that not everyone working in a library is a librarian. The chickie who shelves books may not have any more insight than you would obtain by looking on the shelf for yourself.

Rosie

Do remember that not everyone working in a library is a librarian. The chickie who shelves books may not have any more insight than you would obtain by looking on the shelf for yourself.

Rosie

Ain't that the truth! I WILL work in the children's section of the library some day. I just have to.

1. http://fibers.philau.edu/ntc/I99P01/Socratic%20Dialog.html

http://www.garlikov.com/Soc_Meth.html

http://classicalscholar.com/tag/socratic-dialogue/

I think you can use the Socratic method with children of any age. These links should get you started in thinking about how to frame your questions....

2. Maths such as Singapore or Miquon, which are very visual, might be more in line with your type of learner at this stage. There are many early pre-writing workbooks available that have children just tracing patterns of various sorts to help them get accustomed to gripping accurately. Other activities that develop fine motor skills might also be helpful. Many Montessori materials might fit the bill for you.

3. If you've had your high school student at home for a while, you should be able to gauge a general number of pages per hour that they are capable of reading over time. If you have a new student, you might try gauging number of pages read in an hour for about a week and taking an average. Divide the number of pages in any given book by that average to see how long it should take them to complete the book. When my older son was home, he generally could cover a 250-300 page novel in a week's time. If the reading is something that is much more difficult in terms of syntax, etc., then it would of course take longer.

4. A lot of us create lists for this very reason and also because we may just want other choices. If you ask for some specific lists by age or grade and time period/subject, then I'm sure you'll get many different responses.

I use Socratic questioning for my older kids as part of our literary analysis. I do not use it with younger kids. I think grammar age kids should be allowed to just enjoy literature. SWB discourages starting this sort of thing too early in her lectures (on the Peace Hill Press site). In mid-logic stage we start the type of analysis described in Deconstructing Penguins.

I only had one like this and we did a lot orally, on the computer, on the white board and so forth. There are programs geared toward visual learners-Sing, Spell, Read and Write, Math U See, etc. People would make recommendations if you asked a specific question with regard to subject, age and grade level.

This is too general of a question. My ninth grader read Gilgamesh in two days, the full version of The Iliad took a few weeks. It's going to vary widely according to the child and work. I read all of the books, I find it hard to imagine discussing a book in depth that I haven't read.

Which books? Do mean curriculum-wise? Story books? History books? For example, you can find alternative history books listed in the Activity Guide for Story of the World. If you are using a different curriculum, then it will have its own suggestions. Edited by Mrs Mungo

Yes. I make them up; they ask each other, they talk and ask me in the car, etc! Also, sometimes I read a text way above their grade level and paraphrase things and have them guess answers before even reading the sentence. "What year do you think the printing press was invented?" "How many pages do you think the Gutenberg Bible was?" "How long do you think it took to write out a Bible by hand before Gutenberg?" (7 years!) My daughter's guess was closer than my husband's! (We asked him when he got home.) This went over too well, they wanted me to think of questions for every. single. sentence. It was rewarding, but very tiring for me. (They were energized!)

Math: Singapore, RS

Spelling: Sequential spelling if they are good at patterns, my charts for spelling and reading.

Grammar: MCT is more visual than most

Threads tagged Visual Spacial Learner

Here are some of favorite threads about learning and thinking:

What is not a Classical Education?

Interest Driven Education

I have several other favorites that I thought I bookmarked, but I guess I didn't...I'll make a thread about people's favorite threads about classical education and education philosophy, I would love to have that for reference! Here it is:

People's favorite education threads.

Edited by ElizabethB

A lot of people on this forum do not follow a strict classical model because their kids' learning styles are more compatible with something else...:glare:

Many of these parents love TWTM or some of her other stuff - like SOTW or WWE (we love WWE, BTW - 'tis the greatest writing program ever in the history of mankind :D).

We're probably considered eclectic homeschoolers, but I have read TWTM a couple of times, we use Writing with Ease and I'm probably going to use FLL1 with one of my kids next year.

Like other people said, you can always post real specific questions on the Curriculum Board. :)