Menu

Poll: Do you wash your bagged salad?

Do you wash your pre-washed bagged salads?  

1. 1. Do you wash your pre-washed bagged salads?

• yes
    • no

I have always washed bagged lettuce, but recently on America's Test Kitchen they said it actually introduces more bacteria to wash bagged lettuce. It seems they said it had to do with cross contamination issues in most kitchens. They said it was just safer to use it as it comes.

I found a humongous dried bug in a Dole salad mix last year while washing it. That was my last time buying a bagged salad (unless you count the big container of organic spinach at Costco).

So yeah, unless you want to crunch on a critter, I would rinse bagged salad.

I found a dead bug in a package dole celery bought at wal- mart not to long ago. That was the last time I bought produce at walmart. Our locally owned grocery is usually cheaper on most grocery items anyway and their produce tends to look fresher, too.

Until now it had never occurred to me that I should wash bagged salads, but after this thread I may start.

I found a dead bug in a package dole celery bought at wal- mart not to long ago. That was the last time I bought produce at walmart. Our locally owned grocery is usually cheaper on most grocery items anyway and their produce tends to look fresher, too.

Until now it had never occurred to me that I should wash bagged salads, but after this thread I may start.

I think I should stop reading this thread. The last thing I need is more motivation to stay away from salad! :lol:

I don't wash bagged salad (and we it eat on a daily basis).

I also blow on things I've dropped on the floor or ground to "clean" them. And spit-wipe a napkin to clean my kids' faces.

We also go by the five second rule (or two minute rule, or whatever time is just slightly longer than when I dropped it).

And this even though I grew up in a country where we had to bleach our lettuce and boil and filter our water. (I guess part of me still thinks American food has been sterlized?)

It's probably good that most of you don't know me IRL, or you'd never come over to dinner. :lol:

I have always washed bagged lettuce, but recently on America's Test Kitchen they said it actually introduces more bacteria to wash bagged lettuce. It seems they said it had to do with cross contamination issues in most kitchens. They said it was just safer to use it as it comes.

How does washing bagged lettuce lead to cross-contamination? Do people put it on the counter or on any old kitchen towel that is lying around?

I understand that cross-contamination is an issue -- there is none in my kitchen, to the best of my ability, but I am curious.

We also go by the five second rule (or two minute rule, or whatever time is just slightly longer than when I dropped it).

Our 5 second rule is elastic like that. :lol:

It's probably good that most of you don't know me IRL, or you'd never come over to dinner. :lol:
I'd be delighted to come for dinner. Will my kids have to put on shoes?

I also blow on things I've dropped on the floor or ground to "clean" them. And spit-wipe a napkin to clean my kids' faces.

Yeah, but...those are family-style germs.

My floor, my spit, my kids.

;)