Menu

Restaurant etiquette

On a booth, edge of the table (after everyone is done, so you aren't shoving used dishes past an eating person). When the waitress or waiter can get around you, leave it be, unless the place is very casual and the waitress looks harried. Any place fancy, you put your knife across the top and sit back a bit to let the people know you are ready for it to be cleared.

I've been the tired bus girl. When I leave a place (unless fancy), the plates are often still there, because we don't get dessert and bolt when we are done (I'm often at the register asking for the bill). I stack the dishes, put all the napkins and silverware on them, and move everything together, ready to be picked up.

Should you push your plate to the edge of the table when you are finished or should you leave it in front of you?

Dh and I disagree.

:)

Define "edge of table." :confused:

At any rate, I don't think you need to move it. The servers can tell if you're finished eating.

Sorry, I should have said 'end of table' Away from you, closest to the server.

I do agree with kalanamak that you can move your plate to the edge in a booth once your server needs to reach it.

My problem? DH eats much faster than I do. I HATE it when he moves his plate over to the end of the table before I'm finished. It is a hint to the server they should pick it up. So, I'm left eating when his plate has been cleared. It's annoying.

Here are some links - I tried to find out what Miss Manners thinks about it, but I couldn't find the reference in my book. (Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior)

http://etiquetteschoolofohio.com/?p=277

http://www.findalink.net/diningetiquette.php

http://www.livestrong.com/article/253305-childrens-eating-etiquette-place-settings/

I can think of several practical reasons why you wouldn't clear your own plate:

Having to ask someone else at the table to take your dirty plate

Reaching across someone to place it at the edge of the table

Risking knocking over drinks or condiments while moving it

Sorry, I should have said 'end of table' Away from you, closest to the server.

But if I'm at a round table, there isn't an "end," right?

My answer is the same, though. Just let the server pick it up where it is.

I usually crumple up my napkin and lay it on the table next to the plate. I have noticed to my surprise, though, that many people don't even use their napkins, so I guess that can't be part of your question, lol.

You should lay your silverware parallel and diagonally across the corner of your plate and leave it in front of you.

This is what we do. Although I usually move my 3 year olds plate out of the way when he is finished eating and stack it on top the plate of someone else who has finished.

I do agree with kalanamak that you can move your plate to the edge in a booth once your server needs to reach it.

My problem? DH eats much faster than I do. I HATE it when he moves his plate over to the end of the table before I'm finished. It is a hint to the server they should pick it up. So, I'm left eating when his plate has been cleared. It's annoying.

In formal dining, a server is not to clear the plates until everyone at the table has finished. So laying your silverware across the plate edge and leaning back is what a diner should do, in terms of formal etiquette. In more casual dining, servers do clear plates as each individual finishes. I also eat more slowly than other family members, so I know what you mean, Mrs. M. I feel like everyone is waiting on me, just watching me eat. To-go boxes are my friend :).

Whatever you do, please do not place your cloth napkin on top of your plate. It is gross and and a mess for the servers. Same goes for cigarettes. Your used plate or glass is not an ashtray.

We usually just leave plates where they are and let the server pick them up. There are exceptions, of course. A couple times a year we go to a buffet place. There we usually stack the plates at the end because we usually have so many little plates that they get in the way. The other exception is if we're in a big booth where it's too hard for the server to reach the plates at the far end of the table. Then we just pass the plates to the server (but we leave them in place until the server is ready to pick them up).

Cinder

I only scoot dishes to the edge of the table if I want a refill, such as water or lemonade. The longer I go without a refill, the closer to the edge the glass is scooted. Until... well, you know.

I'm thinking now that might be a GREAT idea to try with plates. If I scoot it to the edge, will they deduce I'm hoping for a second chocolate volcano?

I was always taught that I am not to move a dish. The fork and knife are placed parallel at the 4:20 position on the plate and the server will remove them as one with the plate. A napkin is not to touch the top of the table while anyone is present, rather it should lie on a chair if one needs to leave the table.

It seems sort of snotty, doesn't it?!!:D

Most of our plates end up stacked in front of the 14 yo, as she finishes off everyone's meal (growing teen, you know. :D)

Otherwise, we leave them in front of us just as Mrs Mungo said.

I agree with pp that if it is a more casual restaurant, I will throw etiquette to the wind and hand the plate up to the waitress with a smile.

I stack the dirty dishes as I can't stand the mess and crowding.

Me too. :) My family finally gave up trying to fight it. They know I'm a stacker.:lol: I stack largest to smallest and crumple up straw wrappers, butter wrappers, etc. and put them on the top dish. I'm even known to wipe up any spilled salsa, bread crumbs, etc.;)

I've had countless servers thank me for the effort as they walk by and pick up one neat stack. Oh, I also make sure that my stacks won't be heavy. If there are lots of dishes, I'll make multiple stacks.

I don't do any of this at a fine dining place.:)