Menu

Convince me why I should get a king instead of a queen

Ok, so we went mattress shopping last night.

Sears was a bust. There was absolutely no help in the mattress department. I had already checked Sam's and Costco, so I knew what they had.

We ended up at Mattress Firm and got down to two beds and I think we made a decision.

The final two were a Simmons Beautyrest (World Class) - heavenly, yet firm. Good mattress. Under $2,000 for a king.

Then there was the Tempurpedic. For a queen we could get one for about $2,000 for a middle of the line.

I like the idea of the bed, I know it would be good for my back and shoulder, but there is no bounce. And I couldn't exactly bring that up to the salesman, but hello. I like my bouncy bed. ;) Even if its firm, springs have a little bounce. If you *know what I mean*. ;););)

So, what to do? We have always wanted a king, we have a king size quilt, blanket, and comforter. But, we will need some sheets. Our bedroom has the space.

Should we get a king? Will we feel too far away? Or will we enjoy the extra room? lol ;)

Tracie

PS We waited overnight thanks to Dave Ramsey and I'm glad we did. The salesman was a born salesman... very good.. and not in a creepy, pushy way. He knew his stuff and took his time with us... over an hour. We are def. buying from him. Anyway....

Maybe you and dh should spend a few nights at a nice hotel with a king size mattress to test it out :)

That's why I want one! :) So much room... after I sleep in one, I wish we had one. I guess after 18 years of marriage and hardly getting anything that is just for *us*, I do feel like we deserve it.

And I'm leaning towards the traditional mattress. The Tempurpedic was nice, though!!

We bought a king, back when three "extras" squeezed in between us, so we didn't end up falling off the bed. It was wonderful.

Our "extras" are now too big for that and it DOES feel like we are too far apart. He can go to bed hours before me and my side is still cold! It feels like no one else is in the bed unless you scoot so far towards the middle that you can't reach the bedside light (I have to read in bed to fall asleep.)

Can't wait for the mattress to die so we can downsize!

We have the room, but have kept our queen size bed.

~I really like the openness of our bedroom.

~We flipped the mattress last week and I was thankful for the queen size.

~I like sleeping close to my man. :001_wub:

I am not helping you though, am I?

We got a king when we had kids. I still have at least one child in bed with me and sometimes two, depending upon who's sick or had a bad dream. So, we stick with our king. I also need my space at night. I'm NOT a cuddler. I think we'll stick with our king even after our dd moves out and into her own room!!

Our King Size bed was our lifesaver. We both grew up as only children and were use to our space. We both started sleeping much better when we got it. I'm tempted to say I would give up my high speed internet before my bed, but it's a tough call ;)

I wouldn't be coherent at all if it wasn't for my king size bed.

I guess it might depend on your age, but we've reached the age where sleep comes first. For better or for worse! We snuggle to fall asleep, then we 'migrate' in our sleep to our own side, and sleep much better, thank you!

However, he's now a bit far to kick him properly when he snores.

We recently got a Simmons Beautyrest Black in King sized and LOVE it. Dh was very ambivalent about getting a new mattress saying whatever I wanted was fine with him. Well, forward about a week after getting it. He LOVES it. He is so glad we did that. And new pillows too!

Go for the Simmons regular mattress in King.

We recently got a Simmons Beautyrest Black in King sized and LOVE it. Dh was very ambivalent about getting a new mattress saying whatever I wanted was fine with him. Well, forward about a week after getting it. He LOVES it. He is so glad we did that. And new pillows too!

Go for the Simmons regular mattress in King.

Okay - what do you like about this mattress? Is it hard/soft?

I've been waking up with back pain that gets better after I've been awake for about 20 minutes. So, I think it's the mattress (ours is 12 years old). I'm currently researching this too!!

If you're cuddlers while you sleep, you may prefer to stick with the queen. If you're like I am (as I've aged, lol) - I like my own space when I'm sleeping - upgrading to our king was heaven.

:iagree: If you're people who spoon/cuddle in your sleep, you'll probably be fine in a queen. If you like room to stretch out, the king is heaven.

We love our king! When we have to sleep in a queen or -- heaven forbid -- a double, we both sleep poorly.

Lisa

With a King dh's elbow never whacks me in my sleep when he rolls onto his back and puts his hands behind his head. With a King I can turn over in bed without having to stay in one tiny spot. Perhaps because I married in my 30s, perhaps just because, I like to cuddle, but when it's time to sleep, I want my space. I was so happy when our Queen mattress died. And by then, dh was ready for the space, too. Sleeping crowded is easier to do when you're younger, at least IMO. Also, dh is like a furnace...

We have a king and love it! We do end up with a kid or two in our bed at some point in the night so we need the space. We also like to cuddle then migrate as another poster put it.

Also, about the tempurpedic...we had a queen size one of those...no bounce at all AND if you or your dh get hot during the night (like my dh) it holds the heat so you are even hotter. He had the fans on in the middle of winter because he was sweating sleeping on that mattress. Not a good fit for us.

:iagree: If you're people who spoon/cuddle in your sleep, you'll probably be fine in a queen. If you like room to stretch out, the king is heaven.

We love our king! When we have to sleep in a queen or -- heaven forbid -- a double, we both sleep poorly.

Lisa

:iagree: The only time we sleep in a double is at my mom's. We've all tried to convince her to get a larger bed for when we (sibs) come to visit but to no avail....

We have a queen.

I'm 5'10" and dh is 6'2", we're not little people but we have never felt cramped in our queen bed. We don't snuggle all night, but the option is always there without too much movement.;)

Honestly, I would never get a king because we move so often and it is a pain in the patooey to get king mattresses in some houses. That and it just seems like a waste of space for us. I'd much rather have a nice comfy reading chair next to the bed than unneeded sleeping surface.

Having said that, I don't think I move around a lot in my sleep and neither does dh. If we had other sleep interruption issues, we might feel differently.

Jo

Ok, so we went mattress shopping last night.

I like the idea of the bed, I know it would be good for my back and shoulder, but there is no bounce. And I couldn't exactly bring that up to the salesman, but hello. I like my bouncy bed. ;) Even if its firm, springs have a little bounce. If you *know what I mean*. ;););)

When we were shopping for a new waterbed matress recently dh actually called up a dealer and asked how the bed "performed in certain situations." I was so glad it was a phone call and not in person. I was laughing so hard. Being a waterbed we were more concerned with bottoming out than bounce though :blush:

King or queen - we're with a queen and I feel no need for more space. But, here's the history. For the first 12 years of our marriage we had a full-size bed. During our first year of marriage, we visited Gordon-Conwell, the seminary where we eventually went. They nicely gave us an on-campus apartment during our visit. When we went in the bedroom, we immediately noticed it had TWO twin-sized beds. There was NO WAY we were sleeping apart. So for two nights, we shared a twin-sized bed. :) We did end up with six kids within seven years! :) Now, we were recently in Ukraine and stayed at the Hotel Rus for a night. It seems that they went through a time when they had many American business people staying in their hotel. They heard from these businessmen and women that although they did not mind sharing a room, they did mind sharing a bed. So, they changed ALL of their rooms to having two single beds! ALL! So, while in Ukraine, we were faced with the same situation. After 16 years of marriage, we elected to sleep in the separate twin beds. :) Anyway, I love our queen. It's got bounce and space. We can start of spooning and then get our own space but still reach out a leg and touch base in the middle of the night.

Let us know what you decide!

~Cindy

I so wish we had a king - but our old house is so narrow in bits that we almost could not get our queen mattress up the stairs to our bedroom!!! My in-laws actually started to loudly plan how they'd take our queen and give us their 30+yr-old double mattress (which idea of accepting a very used mattress so creeped me out! And hubby would have taken it - cheap-o!)

We moved to a king last year... best thing ever! Before we had kids a queen was fine, but with two littles who want to jump in too it was way too crowded.

My dh also has some sleep issues (severe restless leg syndrome) and the king sized bed makes all the difference for me. I can lay kind of diagonally if needed--I like to touch, but I want my legs out of the impact zone. Last time we visited my mom (who has queen--or maybe full?) in her guest room I actually moved to the floor in the middle of the night. It was better than the constant kicks!

Honestly, $2000 seems like so much to pay! I think it was a lot less when we got a King Sealy Posturepedic from Costco, much closer to $1000 (about 2 years ago or less). It was not the absolute top of the line but somewhere in the middle. We love it. I can't believe how much some of these mattresses cost.

Our king has been nice while are kids are young, because they seem to crawl in with us at least once a week. For those nights when they aren't sleeping with us, it does seem like a huge amount of space between us at times.

As long as my bedroom is large enough, I like having the king, but if I had a small bedroom, I would downsize so the bed wouldn't be overpowering.

Good luck with your shopping.