Menu

Secular Science Suggestions?

cara

My dd thrived with GEMS science -- take a look at http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/GEMS

I have written extensively about it on the boards, as I think it is one of the greatest science programs around. My husband, a chemist, is giving dd labs this year and she is constantly begging for him to "make it harder" because she learned so much of this already through years of GEMS units.

RS4K Chem I is very good, grade 4-6 level. RS4K Chem II is also very good, grade 7-9 level. When my eldest was 8 we used trade books and some group classes rather than a set curricula. This made it easier to keep up with what she wanted to do and for her to find a level that had her hooked. Paul Hewitt has a few Conceptual Physics books, and I think you good get a lot out of the Touch This! one at this point.

We used RS4K 2 yrs ago, and it was great in every way! I included all DC's, and varied their assignments. The labs were a hit. Chemistry (level 1) was the best.

Now, I need something more challenging than My Pals are Here. I really find it not only boring, but poorly written. I am seriously thinking about returning to TWTM science (we did this our first yr)

Our oldest is currently using Science Shepherd, and we are very happy with it.

Our plan is to ditch My pals...

:)

I used RS4K Chem. I agree it is good. But it is sooo short. It took us about 2 months. And so I had to spend more money and buy more science!

This is why the Chem II is significantly better. Although it's the same number of chapters, it's significantly longer (you can take more than a week to do the chapter, which is a good idea). Also, the labs are much, much better since you design your own.

Parents seeking secular resources should be aware that the author of RS4K (Real Science 4 Kids) is a proponent of creationism/intelligent design, and wrote on her Yahoo forum about her hope that her program would lead children to doubt the Theory of Evolution, and in so doing lead them to embrace Christianity.

This is an author and program with a hidden agenda.

Bill

I think it is about time for someone to write a new homeschool science curriculum. Secular.

I am tired of the choices we have. Either choosing an inferior product or needing to edit a program coming from a particular religious view...or modifying a school textbook.

vent. fume. growl.

Parents seeking secular resources should be aware that the author of RS4K (Real Science 4 Kids) is a proponent of creationism/intelligent design, and wrote on her Yahoo forum about her hope that her program would lead children to doubt the Theory of Evolution, and in so doing lead them to embrace Christianity.

This is an author and program with a hidden agenda.

Bill

At least she's honest about her agenda. fwiw, she doesn't mention creationism/id in the texts, and my take on what she said in her lectures was that she wants to open the doors to discussion.

That said, I'd say her Chemistry is her strongest work, and that has nothing to do with creationism/id. My dd did a secular Chem text after RS4K Chem 2 and neither text discussed those or evolution.

I didn't see it mentioned in the thread, but we're using Singapore My Pals are Here. I don't think the text/workbook alone would be enough, but the Higher Order Thinking Skills book is really great. I'm using everything (text, workbook, teacher's guide (with websites, additional suggestions... although it does need to be adapted for at home use), homework book, HOTS, and tests.

It may be worth considering for some of you. Link here.

There is also Galore Park's "So you really want to learn Science"...

I own this, along with CPO life science, and I am borrowing OM life science. All are secular, all are good, however... none of them do it for me. :tongue_smilie: I flop back and forth between these books.

I wish that Ellen J. McHenry, Stanley Schmidt, MCT, the people from Charlie's Playhouse, the dude from Khan Academy, and about 5 other people I can't remember right now, could get together and write the most kicka$$ science curriculum on the planet, have it be totally secular, easy to implement and perfect for every one's kid... no matter what they are like. :D And free!

I wish that Ellen J. McHenry, Stanley Schmidt, MCT, the people from Charlie's Playhouse, the dude from Khan Academy, and about 5 other people I can't remember right now, could get together and write the most kicka$$ science curriculum on the planet, have it be totally secular, easy to implement and perfect for every one's kid... no matter what they are like. :D And free!

I'd pay for something great. ;)

I totally agree. The choices are dismal. I'm so frustrated I told DH he is now in charge of science.

:iagree: I've gone to just reading science books (we always have one going), buying/doing kits, and doing as much out of the house as we can. We are taking an evolution class at our local zoo now. Hope to find something else to pick up after the holidays. Science is definitely my downfall!

I'm using Science Explorer with my 8yo this year and the level is perfect for him. It is a middle school series from Prentice Hall.

Can you tell me more about this? Does 1 book = 1 year or should we cover more than that in a year? I've looked this over a couple of times. The website has tons of options of extras to buy, have you tried anything other than just the book and tm? Is it worth the $$ to get any extras?

BTW Nebel just posted on his group that the grade 3-5 of BFSU (now called ) is available here and will be coming in a few weeks to other stores like Amazon.

It's called Elementary Science Education: Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, Vol. II, grades 3-5

Format: 8.25 x 11 paperback, 493 pages Publisher: Outskirts Press (Oct 30, 2010) ISBN10: 1432762362 ISBN13: 9781432762360

Unless I missed it, and I did read through the thread but who knows if I was interrupted by my student at just the wrong time :), we are missing Scott McQuerry's Classic Science series.

http://eequalsmcq.com/classicsciinfo.htm

I have found it to be somewhat more in depth and having more experiments - therefore longer lasting - than RS4K. Bonus points for being secular and not giving me the heeby-jeebies when I suspect the author was pushing creationism as RS4K did. Supplies for the experiments have been easier to come by than they were with RS4K. With RS4K, we arrived at the butterfly chapter in the middle of winter (-10 fahrenheit often) when there was no way I could order a butterfly kit. We also supplement the material with corresponding Bill Nye the Science Guy videos or DK Eyewitness videos.

Unless I missed it, and I did read through the thread but who knows if I was interrupted by my student at just the wrong time :), we are missing Scott McQuerry's Classic Science series.

http://eequalsmcq.com/classicsciinfo.htm

I have found it to be somewhat more in depth and having more experiments - therefore longer lasting - than RS4K. Bonus points for being secular and not giving me the heeby-jeebies when I suspect the author was pushing creationism as RS4K did. Supplies for the experiments have been easier to come by than they were with RS4K. With RS4K, we arrived at the butterfly chapter in the middle of winter (-10 fahrenheit often) when there was no way I could order a butterfly kit. We also supplement the material with corresponding Bill Nye the Science Guy videos or DK Eyewitness videos.

Where do you find the Bill Nye videos?

Where do you find the Bill Nye videos?

We have a public school media library that our homeschooling group has access to also. They have every single Bill Nye video. Our regular public library system has most of them too. I can usually find them when I want them. There's a complete list of the Bill Nye series in the wikipedia entry. I sat with that on my screen and the table of contents of the life science book and categorized which Bill Nye's would go with which chapters. Then I request them as needed.