Menu

Reading Experts: Tracking with a finger?

Spy Car

My first grader (6) is reading beautifully, I could not be happier. However, in recent weeks he has begun tracking with his finger as he reads.

"WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?", I ask.

My teacher said I should do it

Why?

So I don't lose my place.

But you don't lose your place now.

She said I should do it.

Well you can't do it here, and maybe I better speak with your teacher.

So now I'm dealing with finger tracking at home. Constantly. Stop that.

So how bad is this? Am I wrong to squelch this, or do I go all mama-bear on this practice?

I know it "bugs me", but should it?

Advice from wise reading experts appreciated.

Bill

Well, things could be worse. At least tracking with his finger doesn't do any harm, unlike, say telling him to look at the pictures to guess the words.

You might want to ask him if the teacher told specifically *him* to track with his finger, or if the teacher told the class in general. You might also want to explain to him that sometimes a teacher may say to do things which are really just suggestions, and not hard and fast rules, and then confirm which it was in this case with the teacher.

Edited by Kuovonne

I've read enough to know it's something of a minor controversy wrt proficient but still developing readers, but not enough to take sides. However, I prefer a piece of paper placed under the line of text being read to a moving finger, for no good supportable reason other than I think it's less likely to become a habit.

Well, things could be worse. At least tracking with his finger doesn't do any harm, unlike, say telling him to look at the pictures to guess the words.

Thank goodness it is not that bad. He seems to have a very good positive upbeat teacher, this is just a habit that is getting under my skin.

You might want to ask him if the teacher told specifically *him* to track with his finger, or if the teacher told the class in general. You might also want to explain to him that sometimes a teacher may say to do things which are really just suggestions, and not hard and fast rules, and then confirm which it was in this case with the teacher.

I will ask. I'm assuming it is a "general" admonition as he has never shown a disability to track sentences without using a finger in our reading together, which happens almost every day.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I've read enough to know it's something of a minor controversy wrt proficient but still developing readers, but not enough to take sides. However, I prefer a piece of paper placed under the line of text being read to a moving finger, for no good supportable reason other than I think it's less likely to become a habit.

I look to you for answers Moira, this is no time to be wishy-washy :D

Bill

I suspect what she said is 'If you are having trouble keeping your place you can track it with your finger.' There is nothing wrong with this and can prevent frustration with developing readers who have a tendency to lose their place and the shy away from books with smaller print and longer paragraphs.

It is also possible that your son is more focused and keeps his place better when he's at home so she told him to track with his finger. Kids are more easily distracted at school than at home so just because he doesn't have trouble tracking at home doesn't mean he doesn't have that trouble at school. So she might be seeing something you don't.

Either way it's not a sword to fall on. You can just tell him he doesn't need to do it unless he's having trouble.

Heather

Bill - Do they use Read Well or Open Court at school? If that is the reading program, finger-tracking is an integral part of the teach to read program, and your ds will probably lose points if he doesn't do it at least at school. I haven't done enough research to decide if it is a problem long term or not. If they don't use these programs, it is probably just a well-intentioned suggestion.

Bill - Do they use Read Well or Open Court at school? If that is the reading program, finger-tracking is an integral part of the teach to read program, and your ds will probably lose points if he doesn't do it at least at school. I haven't done enough research to decide if it is a problem long term or not. If they don't use these programs, it is probably just a well-intentioned suggestion.

They "pretend" to use Open Court. The Open Court materials are in the class-room on the odd chance someone from the district might show up (which they don't since we have one of the most highly functioning/high test score schools in the district).

But they don't actually use OC in the classroom. It is an expensive "show" and a waste of taxpayer dollars. But maybe this idea of tracking did infiltrate from Open Court? It is quite possible. It is a "required" program in our district and most of the schools do here do use it.

Bill

I never realized that finger-tracking was a controversial practice. I always just thought that's what beginning readers did. :confused:

I finger track when I'm reading aloud to pre-literate kids and then once they begin to decode, they do it until it's no longer necessary. My oldest didn't have a problem discontinuing the practice and my DS only does it when reading paragraphs of more than 2 lines. I really don't think it's a big deal.

I never really thought about it before and am not quite sure where it originally came from. I never had any formal reading instruction since I taught myself long before I entered kindergarten. Maybe it's something my mom learned in elementary school back in the '50's and I picked it up from watching her.

I thought that might be the case. Open Court and Read Well include dots below the text and pictures and students are taught to track the dots with their fingers as they learn to read. I might do a little bit of digging with your ds's teacher to find out how important this aspect of the program is in his classroom. In our district, kids are required to finger-track with the dots at school, so depending on how much it bothers you, you may need to talk with the teacher.

I never realized that finger-tracking was a controversial practice. I always just thought that's what beginning readers did. :confused:

Maybe it's not contoversial. It "bugs" me, but why I don't know. I'm trying to figure out if my distaste for the paractice is irrational, or warranted. I don't know.

Perhaps I need to chill?

I finger track when I'm reading aloud to pre-literate kids and then once they begin to decode, they do it until it's no longer necessary. My oldest didn't have a problem discontinuing the practice and my DS only does it when reading paragraphs of more than 2 lines. I really don't think it's a big deal.

I never really thought about it before and am not quite sure where it originally came from. I never had any formal reading instruction since I taught myself long before I entered kindergarten. Maybe it's something my mom learned in elementary school back in the '50's and I picked it up from watching her.

The thing is he has been reading very well with no tracking problems. Last night he read a whole Magic Treehouse book out loud in one sitting. That took over an hour. No problem. Other than reminders to lose the finger.

I'm just not feeling on "solid-ground" on this issue. So, who do I ask but you all?

Bill

I thought that might be the case. Open Court and Read Well include dots below the text and pictures and students are taught to track the dots with their fingers as they learn to read. I might do a little bit of digging with your ds's teacher to find out how important this aspect of the program is in his classroom. In our district, kids are required to finger-track with the dots at school, so depending on how much it bothers you, you may need to talk with the teacher.

What do you think? No big deal? I'm not sensing anyone sees this as a hill to die on. Do I just need to mellow out?

Bill

It's really helpful for kids who are having trouble tracking. But if he's already reading well without doing it, it might slow him down.

I'd clarify with the teacher, but I would probably discourage him unless there is a reason to do it.

I always thought finger tracking wasn't ok except at the very earliest stages of reading if necessary. But honestly I had no idea where I got that belief from. So a quick Google search led me to discover that some people even believe it helps with speed reading. I had never heard that one before.

When I was a boy (back int he olden days :D) there was a popular method called Evelyn Wood Speed Reading. It was a craze, and then died.

I can see why it is encouraged from a practicality standpoint. I don't encourage finger tracking, but I'm always right there next to my child to help him back to where he left off if he loses his place. I couldn't do that so easily in a classroom of 20 plus students. So perhaps it is a way of encouraging a child to be as independent as possible through the learning process.

Sounds reasonable as to "why", still not sure I like it :D

Bill

What do you think? No big deal? I'm not sensing anyone sees this as a hill to die on. Do I just need to mellow out?

Bill

If he doesn't need it, I'd probably discourage it, but I don't think its the end of the world. But what do I know? We're just starting this educational journey too, so I don't know how I'll feel about this in 2 years or if it will still be a problem.

It's really helpful for kids who are having trouble tracking. But if he's already reading well without doing it, it might slow him down.

I'd clarify with the teacher, but I would probably discourage him unless there is a reason to do it.

It also seems to make the reading choppier in that one-word-at-a-time way that is natural for young readers.

I suppose one could make the argument that looking at one-word-at-a-time could get the children to really focus on the phonics and mitigate against thoughtless guessing and sight reading prematurely. Hmmm.

Bill (at war with himself :tongue_smilie:)

I'd say the finger-tracking is not a hill to die on.

However, my gut reaction is that your son's issue isn't finger-tracking.

Rather, it sounds like the issue is doing what his teacher tells him to.

He wants to do what his teacher tells him to do, even though it is

rather a useless activity for him.

It sounds like he is doing the finger tracking out of obedience to his teacher;

although in this case, he might have mis-interpreted what his teacher

really requires of him.

1st grade at our ps apparently 'mandates' tracking. My oldest, now at home, never complained. However, a friend whose son HAD visual tracking issues and had gone through thousands of dollars of therapy to improve it, which included elminating his need to track with his finger as reading since he was an advanced reader, was furious. But the teacher would tell the boy he had to (just like he had to come home and read the silly phonics readers for homework despite the ability to read chapter books instead).

So being able to read without tracking does any more than indicate that the child does not have visual motor issues, I don't know. But they do work on this in therapy.

Brownie

I still track with my 3x5 card (always my bookmark) but mostly because I never get a moment's peace and I'd lose my place every time the kids asked me something if I didn't. For the record I'm a very fast reader with an excellent memory (not quite photographic but pretty dang close), so it hasn't seemed to negatively impact my comprehension.

I have one child who likes to also use a 3x5 card and another who doesn't. Both are proficient readers.

The only thing about it that would bother me is if he is being told this is the PROPER way to read. As if there was only one way. I'd hate to think he felt he had to comply to some arbitrary rule.

Though I guess I should say that I have fairly poor eyesight and wear glasses, thanks to a childhood bought of rheumatic fever. :blush:

Edited by Daisy

I'd say the finger-tracking is not a hill to die on.

However, my gut reaction is that your son's issue isn't finger-tracking.

Rather, it sounds like the issue is doing what his teacher tells him to.

He wants to do what his teacher tells him to do, even though it is

rather a useless activity for him.

It sounds like he is doing the finger tracking out of obedience to his teacher;

although in this case, he might have mis-interpreted what his teacher

really requires of him.

I know he tries to be obedient to his teacher. He is a very good boy that way (especially since he does have a mind of his own) and I don't want undermine that quality. He sounds pretty clear on what his teacher wants him to do, so he is doing it.

Since no one seems "outraged" maybe I'll just endure :D

Bill

... However, a friend whose son HAD visual tracking issues and had gone through thousands of dollars of therapy to improve it, which included elminating his need to track with his finger ...

Brownie

My oldest dd was evaluated (at our request) for visual tracking issues. One of the key things they noted was that she used her finger to track while reading. I explained that the method I used to teach her to read (100 EL) taught her to do it that way. They continued to insist that she obviously had issues because she used her finger to track under the words she was reading.

Since I didn't stand over her and insist she continue to do it, she dropped the practice. It didn't stand in the way of her reading fluently, but it was a "red flag" to the vision therapy people.

As long as you don't plan to put your son in front of vision therapy people where they will insist your child has tracking issues because he's following his teacher's instructions, I think you should try very hard to not see your son's finger on the page while he's reading aloud for you. Imagine it is invisible...

I think you need to talk to the teacher because this could be evidence that she thinks he is at a lower level of reading than he is. Tracking is a beginning reader skill but it should be encouraged to be discarded when the child is reading so as not to get in the way of fluency. If he really feels he needs the finger have him track down the page on the side rather than under the words but I would guess he wouldn't need that. A quick chat with the teacher will tell you if it a required part of the curriculum, something that was misunderstood (ie if you have trouble go trace which was taken as always), or that she thinks he is reading at a lower level than he is really.

... However, I prefer a piece of paper placed under the line of text being read to a moving finger, for no good supportable reason other than I think it's less likely to become a habit.

When I was studying about reading strategies, I read a suggestion somewhere (wish I knew to whom the credit belongs!) that the reader put a marker ABOVE the line of text to be read. I used this method with both my beginning readers and it worked beautifully. 1) It helps guard against distractions and keep the place, and 2) the reader is still able to look ahead because the paper is not covering up the text. So, it fosters more mature reading habits from the get go.

DH says finger tracking helps with speed reading, but I dunno since I never tried it.

When I was studying about reading strategies, I read a suggestion somewhere (wish I knew to whom the credit belongs!) that the reader put a marker ABOVE the line of text to be read. I used this method with both my beginning readers and it worked beautifully. 1) It helps guard against distractions and keep the place, and 2) the reader is still able to look ahead because the paper is not covering up the text. So, it fosters more mature reading habits from the get go.
Oooh... thanks, I'll keep that in mind. :)

Same here.

Another bothersome thing I now have to do extensive research about and take a stance on.

Nah, I think I'll just forget I read this thread :P

My dh is a doctor and he STILL does it sometimes when he reads a book for fun!! I've never seen him do it with any of his orthopaedic stuff, but he does it all the time with regular books. It would drive me crazy as I read really, really fast and I can't move my finger fast enough, nor would I want to try.

Voting not a hill to die on. Chill.

But, it would drive me crazy too. Only thing worse is putting something under the line of text. If you cover up the text, how can you read multiple lines at once???? At least with the finger, I can read almost all the text on the page as the finger is moving down the one line!:D

Voting not a hill to die on. Chill.

OK, I'm Starting to feel much more relaxed :chillpill:

But, it would drive me crazy too. Only thing worse is putting something under the line of text. If you cover up the text, how can you read multiple lines at once???? At least with the finger, I can read almost all the text on the page as the finger is moving down the one line!:D

Now my blood is boiling again :D

Bill

Guest RecumbentHeart

:blush:I'm confused.

I just started reading Breakthrough Rapid Reading to increase my speed and comprehension skills in reading and the first thing they insist upon is the use of the finger for the first step in increasing speed and for stopping subconscious regressions. So ... Is the problem just related to beginning readers and if so, what is it? ... Or did I miss that info by skipping some posts?:blush:

Edited by RecumbentHeart

It wouldn't really bother me one way or the other.

I think I would just tell him that the teacher probably suggested it to the class to help ensure that they don't lose their place in case there was anyone in the class that does have trouble with that, but that if he doesn't feel he has a problem keeping track of "his place," he doesn't have to use his finger at home.

But that it is okay to do it at school if that's what this particular teacher wishes.

1) It helps guard against distractions and keep the place, and 2) the reader is still able to look ahead because the paper is not covering up the text.

I finger track when I'm reading. I have a tendency to skip ahead and miss out on important information, then I'm forced to reread it, sometimes a few times. The finger tracking keeps my focus on one line at a time. I don't think I could use a piece of paper. That would distract me to have to keep moving it and making sure it lined up under the sentences. My fingers work just fine. I can read aloud without finger tracking but I still prefer to do it. My eyes wander ahead and I can lose my place. I didn't start that until I was an adult though.

A kid who can read Magic Treehouse is past the point where he/she ought to be finger-tracking.
I disagree. A kid reading Magic Treehouse is still quite capable of missing words, skipping whole lines, missing the vowels in the middle of words, etc.

Finger tracking is how I was trained in speed reading. You train the eyes to move more efficiently that way.

My kids don't naturally do that and I encourage them to do it. They make far fewer mistakes that way.

When I am reading for accuracy--usually non-fiction--I finger track. My retention is a lot better as I glean more depth the first go-thru.

Edited by Geek

Finger tracking is how I was trained in speed reading. You train the eyes to move more efficiently that way.

My kids don't naturally do that and I encourage them to do it. They make far fewer mistakes that way.

When I am reading for accuracy--usually non-fiction--I finger track. My retention is a lot better as I glean more depth the first go-thru.

:iagree:

I'm sitting here reading Virolution & finger tracking for speed(thumb tracking if you want to be completely accurate)

So long as it's only for tracking lines, not individual words, I'd say it's a good habit to get into.

I can't stand finger tracking, which.... is why I just use my finger while he's reading :) I don't want him reading books that are harder "one finger at a time." And, I've noticed that while he's reading by himself.. he doesn't finger track. So... I'm letting the tracking go.... I've always thought it made children look like poor, choppy readers... :(

I disagree. A kid reading Magic Treehouse is still quite capable of missing words, skipping whole lines, missing the vowels in the middle of words, etc.

So you think it is actually better to finger track? Hmm.

I am asking (in the first place) because I'm simply not sure what's best. The fact that finger-tracking "bugs" me, doesn't mean (even in my own mind :D) that I'm on a sound footing with this prejudice.

Last year I got (far less) bugged that every lesson in Kindergarten turned into a coloring project. But at the end of the day, I saw the teacher's wisdom, and realized the pay-off was large in a number of ways including building up those little hands for handwriting.

I'm open to learning. But the finger tracking has been getting under my skin.

Bill (:bigear:)

I have my MS in reading and taught 1st for years. Word-pointing is good at the beginning level when they are learning to be word-by-word readers. Once they gain fluency and start reading in phrases, it is best to have them hold a paper or index card under the line so as not to slow them down.

Yes, of course I did. His teacher asked him (and I'm presuming all the other children) to do so.

Bill

Did you ask his teacher why she recommends text pointing when he was reading perfectly fine without it? Would he get in trouble if he stopped? Sounds like a parent-teacher issue since she was the one that got him started on it. I would find out why from her.

ETA: I guess you covered all that in the OP! Duh! But I would still talk to her and tell her that your son doesn't need it. And ask why she recommended/required it?

Edited by MissKNG

Seem like more individual word tracking to me.

Bill

My guess is they are trying to help kids who have tracking issues, but they don't have time to target just those who are having problems so they just make it a blanket policy.

But l would be with the gals who prefer you use a sheet of paper or a 3x5 card (doubles as a bookmark). With a dyslexic you can still have the word substitutions and skips even with finger tracking, unless they are pausing at every word. You do stop the line skipping, which is the bigger issue. Using a 3x5 card also allows for natural reading rhythm.

But then you will have to supply 3x5 cards and fingers are so cheap, so they do fingers.

Heather

Thursday night is Back-to-School night, so I'll ask the teacher about her reasoning for this practice then.

And since the practice seems less controversial than...say...not returning shopping carts to the cart corral :D...I'll just stay in "inquiry mode" :tongue_smilie:

Bill (who has decided not to ask: Why are YOU undermining my son's home-education??? :lol:)

The Hive's service to humanity (or at least unsuspecting kindy teachers) :lol:

First Grade actually ;) :D

I do need to note the irony that The Hive has rescued a public school teacher (and by extension, the whole institutionalized school system) from abuse from me :tongue_smilie:

Bill