Menu

Moving/de-clutter question about "stuff"

Okay, I know it's all just "stuff", clutter, things to dust, etc, etc. But for those of you who move a lot or have decluttered what you regret? We're getting ready to move and I'm trying to be prudent and brutal at the same time. I tend to get very trash happy as the moving day gets closer, which is good, but usually there is something that gets sold or trashed that I miss. Does that happen with you?

What do you regret moving? What do you regret NOT keeping?

My regrets for not moving:

My piano. I miss it. It wasn't a great quality piano but it had belonged to family member. I had forgotten how much stress relief it was to play.

My regrets for moving:

Our current fridge. It's too big, the layout of it is awful. It's staying here when we leave.

oh yes on the piano....we sold ours and it was a prudent move, but purchasing another is a chore

keeping-freezer and lawn furniture! why???

we downsized 2200 square foot home into a Penske truck and mini van! I would do it again for the freedom it brought to our home! organization is a breeze when you don't have things

There's a lot I regret moving, but nothing I regret leaving. I'm looking around the room I'm sitting in now and thinking, "Why did we bring that?" Example: very large TV armoire. It looked great in the old living room, but it's too big for this family room. We paid a lot for it, and that clouded our judgement. :glare:

Most of what we have now will not move with us next time.

I'm getting rid of baby clothes and toddler/preschool clothes from dd today. Just took boxes out for our church garage sale. Also took out 6-8 old dresses I will never get back in to--

Will I regret it? Maybe. I can't think like that today or I won't purge, and it's time.

I've never regretted purging before, because I can only do it when I'm ready, and half the stuff, I don't remember anyway! (I'm very visual--out of sight, out of mind)

So far I have never regretted anything I have gotten rid of other than my personal bike. I haven't been able to replace it with one of similar comfort and quality.

With this move I am hopig to sell enough furniture and big items to replace the giant TV and TV armoir with something that is more compact. We are also planning on replacing our dining room table for something smaller. I will miss my large seats 8+ table, but we just don't have good space for it.

So far, I neither miss nor regret anything I've parted with upon moving (except friends, of course!).

There are many things I do regret having taken into my house in the past. Things I didn't really want to begin with. MIL is a sentimental keeper, and the only way her dh can get her to part with them is to convince her to pass them along to a family member. Guess who has been the middle man for the last decade? Well, no more. As I round out the year of focused decluttering, I am finally going to get rid of stuff that others have made me feel compelled to hold onto.

In the past, we have shopped for and purchased houses with an eye to what we need to contain our stuff (large furniture pieces, etc). Next time, I am going for a place I love and whatever fits, fits. The rest I will part with. I have reached a place in my life where I do not want to be burdened with managing stuff. Within 5 years 3/4s of my kids will be on their own and I do not plan to keep what I don't truly need.

oh yes on the piano....we sold ours and it was a prudent move, but purchasing another is a chore

keeping-freezer and lawn furniture! why???

we downsized 2200 square foot home into a Penske truck and mini van! I would do it again for the freedom it brought to our home! organization is a breeze when you don't have things

I shall use this as my new motto. :D

I regret moving all my books. After moving many, many boxes of books, I decided I would never do that again and sold or gave most of them away. My only regret is not writing down all the titles. I wish I'd kept a record of everything I've read.

I agree with this. Lots of what I've purged this year... books. I am concentrating on keeping the best, and what I am afraid may become extinct. But the rest.... I know your books are special to you, Paula, but I would not be surprised to find out that the books I've parted with collectively weighed 1000+ pounds. That's both a physical and mental load off!

Things I have gotten rid of and wished I hadn't...A bread machine, a sewing machine (had to rebuy both) Any home decor items...I love to decorate, but depending on when I'm moving..I might be tempted to get rid of say...Easter decor or 4th of July.

My problem is packing away the little keepsake treasures I do love, only to not find them for a year (did that this last weekend)

I have regretted getting rid of curtains, anything that has a shelf, and small tables. Granted I might keep them in storage, but the items I have are unique pieces I have finished myself...I can't just replace them from walmart or target ;)!

I agree with this. Lots of what I've purged this year... books. I am concentrating on keeping the best, and what I am afraid may become extinct. But the rest.... I know your books are special to you, Paula, but I would not be surprised to find out that the books I've parted with collectively weighed 1000+ pounds. That's both a physical and mental load off!

So if I get rid of everything else I'll have more room for books, eh? :lol: I have downsized a few books though.

I agree with Perry, I should be making a list of titles I've read.

AuntieM I love your trash to cash total, it just keeps rising, how excellent!

Things I have gotten rid of and wished I hadn't...A bread machine, a sewing machine (had to rebuy both) Any home decor items...I love to decorate, but depending on when I'm moving..I might be tempted to get rid of say...Easter decor or 4th of July.

My problem is packing away the little keepsake treasures I do love, only to not find them for a year (did that this last weekend)

I have regretted getting rid of curtains, anything that has a shelf, and small tables. Granted I might keep them in storage, but the items I have are unique pieces I have finished myself...I can't just replace them from walmart or target ;)!

Ah, my curtains. I moved mine last time and they still work. My mom made most of them and they will mostly have a place in our new home. I have some unique and antique decor items too.

I have a few boxes of partylite votives that I found packed away last week. :lol: They moved down here with us.

The things I regret purging are books we hadn't read in a while (will have to buy them all again at some point), and baby clothes/nursery items.

That being said though, we can fit everything we own (including DH's motorcycle) into a 26' u-haul. 2 yrs later plus 1 more child, we'll be able to do it again w/only minimal purging (we're moving to NY once we sell our house).

Ah, my curtains. I moved mine last time and they still work. My mom made most of them and they will mostly have a place in our new home. I have some unique and antique decor items too.

I have a few boxes of partylite votives that I found packed away last week. :lol: They moved down here with us.

Those aren't by chance from relative of mine ;)! Christmas is a great time to burn lots of votives!!!!

We are getting ready to move for the 8th time since we've been married. My only regrets are a box of nutcrackers I left behind. My family would give me one each Christmas. I still have a few, but my favorites didn't get on the truck. :( My DH's only regret was his bicycle.

I haven't decided what to do with our piano. I'll probably just let DH make that call.

• 2 weeks later...

We are downsizing, too! Ds graduated a year early and unexpectedly moved out of state for college. We now have a 3100 square foot monstronsity of a home with a stoarge shed and two-car garage for us and two girls. We are going to a 1026 square foot apartment with two 5x5 storage rooms that are free. Downsizing becuae of a potential move & to kick our Dave Ramsey plan into high gear. Praying for a tenant for our house right now.

All the tips and info are great! We are keeping our piano, dh plays, taught ds and will teach dd's. It's a family heirloom, too. Just started purging yesterday for a huge yard sale next weekend. My fear is that we will not purge enough! Has anyoe dome that? We are not moving far, so will not have a moving truck to gauge what will fit in the new place. Any advice??

:bigear:

What do you regret moving? What do you regret NOT keeping?

I regret moving the closet organizing systems and the curtain rods and draperies that do not fit the windows or closets in our current home. I can't use them, and we extended our original one year lease to three more years, so I donated them to a charity. The rods will be expensive to replace, but I don't care because I'll make up for it by making new window coverings if necessary. Plus it is my intention never to live in a house which has 19 oversized windows again.

I have never been a pack rat, so we did not have an excess of anything except for books, outgrown toys, specialty baking equipment, and DH's wardrobe. I did not take all of these things because we don't have space for them here. I love and collect those things (except for DH's wardrobe), but I ruthlessly pared down my collections to what I thought was necessary. Having kept these "necessities" has staved off feelings of regret.

The kids took whatever they wanted when we moved. DS2 was overzealous about purging his book collection, so when we can we replace the books he regrets having given up. I also kept the picture books the kids had chosen earlier to keep, even though they were not interested in keeping them at the time of our move.

DH is a pack rat, and he regrets not taking all the clothing which has not fit him for over 10 years, and which still does not fit him. I significantly pared-down his wardrobe of clothing he can wear, and he regrets that, too. Don't feel sorry for him: I moved 40 polo shirts, 50 sweaters, 75 ties, and 40 t-shirts, along with the rest of his currently wearable clothing and shoe collection.

I did not take any clothing of mine with us unless it was my then-current size or one size smaller. I still sigh over having given up a beautiful size 8 dress that I bought 23 years ago, but didn't fit into at the time of purchase or since then. It will live on in my memory.

Anything I have missed and needed, I can easily replace because it would be something that doesn't cost much. The questions I asked myself when determining what to move were:

Have any of us ever used the item? (No to the Madeleine pan.)

Based on my experience, will any of us ever use the item? (No to the Madeleine pan which I had for 15 years.)

Can I easily and relatively inexpensively replace the item if necessary? (Yes to the Madeleine pan.)

Do we have room in our new location to store the item? Everything we take must have a permanent resting place.

Do we have an excess amount of the item such that not taking some of them will not make a difference?

Is the item special to any of us? A reason must be articulated. (This helped me with the toys I love.)

Edited by RoughCollie

I regret moving, but I don't regret all the stuff we got rid of to do so!

As for Uhaul's - my goal is to get everything into a 10' truck. I will settle for a 17' truck, though.;)

My parents moved almost 25 years ago. Mom said that if she had packed Dad's things and he had packed hers they could have moved in a pickup truck.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I have regretted getting rid of curtains

:lol: This cracks me up! There is a rule in many Army families that curtains are the one thing you never get rid of. It's a sure bet that the next place you move will fit the curtains you just ditched. I have quite the curtain collection. :tongue_smilie:

I have not regretted getting rid of anything. I do save emotionally significant articles of the kids' clothes and while it sometimes pains me to give the rest away, I don't actually regret it. The feeling is more akin to nostalgia. Baby sleepers are the flat out worst at provoking these feelings. :001_smile:

I do regret lugging DH's grandparents' hand-me-down gigantic (probably 400 lb.) radio/stereo console from the 50s for every move to present. Yes, it's romantic to listen to records but we are far too close to our weight allowance to move it again.

:lol: This cracks me up! There is a rule in many Army families that curtains are the one thing you never get rid of. It's a sure bet that the next place you move will fit the curtains you just ditched. I have quite the curtain collection.

As prior military, I still save curtains, too! I have a good collection, and will move all of the curtains in the 3K house to the 1K apt. Never know what we may need! Dh is a DOD civvie now, so we still move. :tongue_smilie:

Have any of us ever used the item? (No to the Madeleine pan.)

Based on my experience, will any of us ever use the item? (No to the Madeleine pan which I had for 15 years.)

Can I easily and relatively inexpensively replace the item if necessary? (Yes to the Madeleine pan.)

Do we have room in our new location to store the item? Everything we take must have a permanent resting place.

Do we have an excess amount of the item such that not taking some of them will not make a difference?

Is the item special to any of us? A reason must be articulated. (This helped me with the toys I love.)

I love these questions.

thank you all for joining in. The real packing has started and I'm being pretty brutal. My real joy is ds has stated he is ready to get rid of many of his belongings. I love that kid. Of course, I was at Goodwill today trying to find him long sleeve shirts and pants because it's going to be cold when we move and half of his wardrobe won't even make the move.

It's good to hear about the curtains, but I am leaving the rods, which were not cheap and won't fit our new house.

My books are what I'm most conflicted about. We finally got to the point that we couldn't keep moving them on our own, but it's been really, really hard to get rid of them. We scanned hundreds of them, so I didn't really lose them, but it's not the same. But since we often live overseas and can't take them with us, it really wasn't worth keeping them anymore.

It's also been hard for me to get rid of all the clothes my children have outgrown. A lot of it was ready to go after three children, but I'd like to have kept some things.

There are a few other things that I think of every so often that I wish I could have kept, but really, it's much better to get rid of stuff. Except for kitchen stuff. I'd never want to have to restock a kitchen every time I moved.

Man, dh has garbage bags full of curtains which we take from house to house. All 2nd hand. If it were up to me we would ditch them and when we move...usually every 3-5 years though we seem to be staying here longer than usual- we buy some more 2nd hand ones, if necessary.

I generally only get a small pang every now and then from ditching something I miss later. Its usually a small thing and very replaceable.

Thats my philosophy- but we have enough cash flow and a comfort with 2nd hand goods, that pretty much anything we got rid of is replaceable. So, for me, I would rather err on the side of getting rid of things than keeping them. Wheras dh is the complete opposite and likes to hang on to everything "just in case". Which I am learning is really ok too. I can get rid of my things and let him keep his.

Getting inspired to clean out! (Vases and candle holders, I'm looking at you.)

I kept about 3 baby outfits for my 2 kids, but got rid of the rest. I think I would have regretted getting rid of their stuff if I hadn't kept a couple of outfits.

We are moving in a month. The house we are moving to is less than 1/2 the size of the one now. Today I completely filled the back of my small SUV with boxes of books. Some are valuable books - like the never used curriculum (current editions even) that I have had no luck selling over the last 2 months. All of it went to the libray for their sale. I would have really liked having the money, but I like even more the idea that maybe someone else will be blessed by finding those things at a ridiculously cheap price. Not to mention the library will benefit as well. I am just tired of messing with it all and had to get it out of my way.

Then, I took another full load of toys and old decor to the Humane Society thrift store. After that I took another full load of my clothing to Goodwill. Sigh. I may miss some of that but dh and I will have to share a closet in the new house that is only 4ft long. Right now we are sharing 3 walk in closets that are way bigger so much must go. I have been taking kids clothes to the consignment store for weeks now. Each week I take the limit, and then have to ask for another appt. :tongue_smilie:

I still have 2 bookshelves to purge, the kitchen, and the 2000sq ft basement is still overflowing.