Menu

Help me think of a nurtrition myth to debunk for my class.

My nutrition prof. gave us an extra credit paper. We have to identify a nutrition 'myth', such as a book, product, or quote. Then, we have to use a credible source or sources to debunk it. She told us that pretty much only .gov, .edu, or .org sites would be accepted as 'credible'. Or, we can get quotes from a 'professional'.

The paper only has to be one page.

So, any have any interesting suggestions? I'm open to pretty much anything.

We haven't received any grades in class yet, but I *have* to get an A. This is a prereq. for the nursing program, which has HIGHLY competitve admissions; you really, really want to apply with a 4.0. So, I figure a one page paper is a good way to stack the odds in my favor. :tongue_smilie:

That eggs cause cholesterol problems.

Can't do this one, she already covered it in class. Her explanation was that you need saturated fat with cholesterol in order for the cholesterol to be absorbed. So as long as the eggs are prepared without adding saturated fat, you're not going to absorb the cholesterol.

Otherwise, this would be perfect; I'm afraid it'd seem like 'cheating' if I did this one. :)

High fructose corn syrup is no big deal. As the ads from the Corn Refiners Association say:

"High-fructose corn syrup is made from corn, has no artificial ingredients, has the same calories as sugar and is okay to eat in moderation."

Easy to debunk.

Enjoy the wide variety of parody videos on YouTube.

High fructose corn syrup is no big deal. As the ads from the Corn Refiners Association say:

"High-fructose corn syrup is made from corn, has no artificial ingredients, has the same calories as sugar and is okay to eat in moderation."

Easy to debunk.

Oh yes, I had forgotten about this one! Also a good idea...

Easy to debunk.

Although because you need to use a government site to "debunk" it you may have to go with "Corn syrup is bad for you and regular sugar is better" The government thinks corn syrup is a fine substitute for sugar.

You could "debunk" artificial colors cause behavior problems in children. Although I believe this to be true and so does Great Britain, the US government does not.

Melissa

The myth that saturated fat causes cardiovascular disease. :D

Here's an abstract for you:

Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease

Intake of saturated fat was not associated with an increased risk of CHD, stroke, or CVD.
A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD.

I do not agree with all their stuff..but if you need hard data to validate myths regarding what you are talking about, then that's where I would go. :)

My nutrition prof. gave us an extra credit paper. We have to identify a nutrition 'myth', such as a book, product, or quote. Then, we have to use a credible source or sources to debunk it. She told us that pretty much only .gov, .edu, or .org sites would be accepted as 'credible'. Or, we can get quotes from a 'professional'.

The paper only has to be one page.

So, any have any interesting suggestions? I'm open to pretty much anything.

We haven't received any grades in class yet, but I *have* to get an A. This is a prereq. for the nursing program, which has HIGHLY competitve admissions; you really, really want to apply with a 4.0. So, I figure a one page paper is a good way to stack the odds in my favor. :tongue_smilie:

The myth that saturated fat causes cardiovascular disease. :D

Yup, love this one. Also, the correlating myth that cholesterol causes heart disease (http://www.thincs.org). And the myth that weight gain is a result of a surplus of calories in versus calories out (Gary Taubes). But these are BIG topics. These are the kind of topics that people write entire books and PhD theses about - that people devote their entire careers to! As dear as they are to my heart, I think they might be a lot to take on for this kind of paper.

What you might consider instead is something a little smaller in scope, that you can give more focus and attention to, to bring more depth to your paper. What comes to my mind is the myths revolving around Vitamin A: that it is "toxic" and dangerous, that beta carotene is Vitamin A, that sort of thing.

Here is an article that would give you a great start. And it is extensively referenced: http://www.westonaprice.org/abcs-of-nutrition/167-vitamin-a-saga.html

Just a thought. :001_smile:

That dairy products are good for you and a great source of calcium.

Dairy has a lot of calcium in it, but it is not a type that is readily absorbed by our bodies. Plus it has a TON of fat in it. And hormones, etc if it is not organic. Most people have an intolerance to lactose or to the proteins in dairy - causing chronic stomach issues, chronic ear infections in kiddos, etc.

But ignoring at and only looking at the calcium content and the amount of calcium you actually absorb per serving - Salmon and broccoli are actually the best sources of calcium! HIGH in calcium, and it is a nice super absorbable form of calcium too!!

One that I heard was debunked:

A child who eats peanuts, milk, etc before 1yo, is more likely to be allergic to that food.

I don't know if the debunking was credible or not, but it may be interesting to figure out.

This is not a myth, but is quite true. Due to the nature of an infant/toddler's immune system and the natural permiability of the gut, large molecules such as proteins can pass thru the gut and into the blood stream where they are then percieved as invaders and antibodies are created - causing allergies to specific foods. And it is before the age of 2-3 yo actually.

Is it also very true that breastfeeding dramatically decreasing the risk of food allergies and other allergies - cuz it allows the gut to mature naturally and supports a healthy gut and healthy immune system. And the proteins in BM are "pre-digested" compared to formula or table foods.

I don't suppose the Gerson Therapy which has cured people from what are dubbed incurable cancers would be considered credible since our gov't won't acknowledge it? (For the same reason they won't acknowledge that HFCS is bad - money.) You should watch the documentary The Beautiful Truth; it's on Netflix. There's another Gerson Therapy movie on there as well.