Menu

What age Disneyland?

I know that some families buy season tickets to Disneyland and go every year. We are not one of those families. Our kids are still young (7,6 &4) and we'll probably take them 1 or 2 times in their childhood, but make it a really good trip. So, what's the best age? I don't want my 4 year old to "not remember a thing", so I"m still thinking she's too young. Plus, she's probably too young to go on a lot of rides. Any opinions? BTDT?

I know that some families buy season tickets to Disneyland and go every year. We are not one of those families. Our kids are still young (7,6 &4) and we'll probably take them 1 or 2 times in their childhood, but make it a really good trip. So, what's the best age? I don't want my 4 year old to "not remember a thing", so I"m still thinking she's too young. Plus, she's probably too young to go on a lot of rides. Any opinions? BTDT?

We went earlier this year with a 4y10m old. She's been before, and has always liked it well enough, but this year she was actually really INTO everything that was going on and interested in rides. Many rides required 42"-44" tall and since she is on the taller side for her age she was able to ride pretty much everything. I commented that I thought this was the first "real" Disney experience she would remember.

If you only plan a few childhood trips, and especially if your 4 year old is average or shorter height, I'd wait a year or so until he could ride the majority of the rides. My four year old likes to keep up with the older kids, and it would not have been as enjoyable for her (or me!) if I was always having to tell her she wasn't tall enough yet. There are parts of the park we could have hung out in that had more height-appropriate rides, but we didn't really go to Disney to spend most of the day separately - kwim?

Short answer: depends on height, but 4-5 is a good age for that first Disney experience!

Mine have been to Disney World 3 times and Disneyland once. My youngest was 3 (3 months shy of 4) last year when we did Disneyland, and he remembers it pretty clearly still. He doesn't seem to remember much of anything from trips before that, though. I think 7,6, and 4 are GREAT ages, personally. I think pretty much any age we've done so far has something to recommend it, though.

If you only plan a few childhood trips, and especially if your 4 year old is average or shorter height, I'd wait a year or so until he could ride the majority of the rides.

Oh, that's a good point. Mine are all very tall, so by three they're tall enough for most anything they're interested in. My 4 year old hit 44" a couple of months ago, and we're all hugely relieved, as we're leaving for WDW tomorrow and he does NOT deal well with being left out of things his older brothers get to do :D

The first time we went, my dd was only 1 (but it was the month of her second birthday). We figured she wouldn't remember a thing and that we were really going for us and the older kids. That was fine. But, she's the one I remember having the most magical experience. She absolutely adored it. We don't have annual passes, but we do now go every year. I figure that kind of magic isn't going to happen as my kids get older. It'll stop being as much fun. I want to eek as much of it out as I can!!!

After that first visit, we'd look at pictures often. Meg would ask if we could go for a walk at home. I'd ask where she wanted to walk - she'd answer, "The princess castle!!!"

Now, she's definitely old enough that she remembers our visits. She can't wait to go back in January!!! She'll be old enough to ride nearly everything this visit!!

The first time we went, my dd was only 1 (but it was the month of her second birthday). We figured she wouldn't remember a thing and that we were really going for us and the older kids. That was fine. But, she's the one I remember having the most magical experience. She absolutely adored it. We don't have annual passes, but we do now go every year. I figure that kind of magic isn't going to happen as my kids get older. It'll stop being as much fun. I want to eek as much of it out as I can!!!

Yes, same here. Seeing the magic through the eyes of a 2 year old was something I'll never forget. However, we obviously don't live close enough to go often and I have to say, we have all loved it, both times we've been. I don't think there is one "right" age, Disney has a way of captivating all ages, but there's just something about seeing it through the eyes of a really small child.

Yes, same here. Seeing the magic through the eyes of a 2 year old was something I'll never forget. However, we obviously don't live close enough to go often and I have to say, we have all loved it, both times we've been. I don't think there is one "right" age, Disney has a way of captivating all ages, but there's just something about seeing it through the eyes of a really small child.

Absolutely! We took our oldest when she was just shy of 2. I can't even begin to tell you how amazing it was to watch her take in all the sights, sounds, colors, and "magic" that is WDW. She absolutely beamed happiness. She may not remember all of it, but, as parents, we sure do. Plus, we have the videos to prove it ;).

We have since taken the others as small children with the same result (except for the fact that my youngest wanted NOTHING to do with the characters.)

ETA: OP, I think this is a perfect time to take your children to Disneyland!

Edited by Imprimis

We took our oldest dd to Disney for the first time when she had just turned 4. I felt she was the perfect age. She loved it, and still remembers that first visit. There were some things she couldn't ride at that age, but there is so much to see and do that it didn't feel like we were missing anything.

Our second dd was 6 when we went for the first time, and that was a great age as well. She could have ridden more of the rides at that age/size, but there were a few things she was afraid to ride. Again, we had a great time, and she talked about our visit long afterward.

We were at Disney again just a few weeks ago. Our two dds are 14 and 9 now, and loved it just as much as their first time. There is just something magical about Disney, IMO, and people of all ages can find enjoyment in it.

Guest janainaz

All the ages of your kids are perfect for Disneyland. In fact, kids at 4 make Disneyland even all the more fun because there is so much to do! When I lived in CA, I took my ds10 when he was 4 all the time. We had so much fun together - cherished memories. My ds5.5 went the first time at 4, and he was even tall enough (and gutsy enough) for Tower of Terror.

Our magic age was 5. At that age they'll remember, but also they'll be old enough not to need a stroller. We didn't want to have to deal with that. It wasn't as if we wouldn't have many opportunities to go, as we lived in San Diego and Disneyland was just a couple of hours away.

Mr. Ellie and I have been to Disneyland over 30 times since we've been married, beginning with our honeymoon. :D Our dds, who are now 32 and 35, have been there many times, too. It is our favorite place. Both our dds love it, too.:D

Guest janainaz
He's a bigger man than me.

Yeah - he's a wild one. But my older son was the same way - he had no fear of big rides. I force myself to go with them and sometimes I wish I hadn't.:)

My kids spent a day at Disneyland when they were 4 and nearly 2. The 4yo remembers, but the one who was 1yo did not.

We spent a vacation at Walt Disney World when they were 6 and a week from turning 4. They both had a wonderful time and remember aspects of it clearly.

Of course, we *all* had a wonderful time, so we've continued to go back annually. This year they were 11 and 8.5... They loved it as always, the 8yo was finally tall enough for all but two rides in the 4 parks (most rides are doable by kids in the 38-40" range, though there are a number without height restrictions; a few require kids to be 44"; two roller-coaster type rides, one in Hollywood Studios and one in Animal Kingdom, require kids to be 48"), and they had a blast. ... That said, I think there's something to be said about going when kids are young enough to experience it as *magic*.

I think 7,6, and 4 is just about perfect. 8, 7, and 5 might be right at perfect. :) But if you wait for 10, 9, and 7, it'll still be pretty darn wonderful. :)

Oh, and one more thing. Spend a few weeks or a couple of months before working up to some nice loooong family walks. Take some nice hikes. Get the kids used to staying on their feet and propelling themselves around on their own two legs. You'll be grateful you did!

There must be something about 4! Our second oldest was 4 when we first went to Disneyland. I think he had the most fun of anyone. I'll never forget the first morning. We headed straight for the Pooh ride. Our ds saw Pooh standing down the hill and took off running as fast as he could. He plowed right into Pooh with a giant bear hug and nearly knocked the poor guy down. :lol: He was nervous around Tigger though. Tigger is a little crazier than Pooh, you know. He thought they were all real. It was so magical for him!

Our family enjoys Disney with children/teens of all ages. At four, your youngest will find everything so magical!

Start taking family walks now and plan on a stroller. All mine piled in our double stroller last year when they "just couldn't walk any more!"

Have fun!

My dd is 5 and we have not gone to WDW yet. One major reason that we are waiting is the fact that she is terrified of dressed up characters. Anytime she sees one she literally cowers behind the nearest parent. This is an improvement from running out the nearest door and having to be caught before she reaches traffic. I do not plan to take her until she is no longer so afraid because I don't think she would really enjoy it. I would say definitely wait until all dc are not afraid of characters such as Santa or Chuck E. Cheese.

My 4 yo had the BEST time at Disneyland. We also had a 2 and 6 yo. Height would be a good consideration depending on how adventurous your 4 yo is. My 6 yo is tall, but he isn't much of a roller-coaster rider. My 4 yo is a little shorter for his age, and he would have loved to go on the 2 or 3 rides he was too short for. Other than that, we all had a wonderful time. It helped that my sister was along so we had one adult per child. Made it much easier when my 6 yo didn't want to go on a ride. I think Abbey had a great idea about taking long family walks ahead of time to work up some stamina. :)

Our kids were 14, 12, and 7 when we went to DisneyWorld, and it was perfect. Everyone could ride pretty much everything and everyone could handle being in the parks from morning to night with no breaks or naps. Seeing all the crying little kids made me so glad we didn't go earlier! Even my youngest dd commented on all the crying kids and said it didn't look like the happiest place on earth.

Our kids were 14, 12, and 7 when we went to DisneyWorld, and it was perfect. Everyone could ride pretty much everything and everyone could handle being in the parks from morning to night with no breaks or naps. Seeing all the crying little kids made me so glad we didn't go earlier! Even my youngest dd commented on all the crying kids and said it didn't look like the happiest place on earth.

What worked really well for us was going at opening and then leaving around 11 or 12. We would go back to the hotel and have lunch then all of us took naps. Around 5 we would grab more to eat and pack a few snacks and head back again until about 10. I don't think I could handle an entire day there! :D It is exhausting for sure! We've been twice as a family and each time we have gotten 5 day passes. It feels a little more leisurely and not as rushed.

1 is too young,

I'd have to disagree with this. Sure they won't remember, but their expressions and excitment was somthing. Both our boys went before turning 2. The oldest was just before turning two and it was so cute. The youngest, we took at six months and he was so mesmoraized by everything. By his expressions he loved it! Sure, they couldn't ride everything, but there really aren't that many rides that have restrictions so it wasn't a big deal. We can't count the number of times we've been to the parks and each time is a different "magic" than the time before.

I was actually happy with the stoller years too, we had something to haul all our stuff. Our next trip will be the first strollerless for us.