Menu

Hard Decision @ Pet Cat... WWYD???

Hello,

I am just wanting to get some advice on what to do with a situation I currently have right now. It is involving our pet cat. I have had her since she was 8 weeks old and she is now 13 years old. She is a Maine Coon and has always been an indoor cat. She is wonderfully sweet too.

However, we have a problem. She is in need of grooming very badly. She has knots and big chunks of matted hair on her which cannot be brushed out or cut out easily at all. I know that we need to get her professionally groomed, but it is going to cost us a fortune. The vet will not groom her without her having her shots current, so now it will cost us a LOT to do everything.

We are in no position financially to do this for her. And, unfortunately, when we do have extra money (very rarely), it has to go towards bills or medical appointments for the human family living here.

My husband is very tired cleaning up after her every day because she misses the litter box a lot, tracks it on her paws all over the floors, etc.... She is just a mess. Bless her heart, she seems to have arthritis too and I wish we had tons of money to be able to help her out, but we don't.

Here is where my hard decision comes in. I have an Aunt who lives only minutes away from us. She has no children, but quite a few cats (possibly 6-8 at this time). The cats are like her children, she LOVES them.

Anyway, I KNOW that she would be willing to take our cat, pay for her shots and grooming, any meds that she may need, etc... as long as she could keep her for good.

This is the part I am having a hard time with because I do love my cat. However, she is simply not getting the care or attention that she needs anymore here. I really feel like such a bad "momma" to her right now.

I am worried that she won't do well around the other cats because she has never had to deal with that type environment. I also worry that moving her to someplace else at her age might stress her out badly. I don't know though.

I REALLY, REALLY want to do what is best for her right now. My Aunt has actually offered to take her. Every time I think of it though, my heart hurts a little. :( I know that I would be welcome to go and visit anytime I want, and I would hope that Callie (my cat) wouldn't hate me for sending her to a new home.

I know that sounds silly, but it really does worry me. We genuinely cannot afford to take care of her properly right now though, and we can't have her around other people because of the way she looks.

What would you do in this situation??? I don't want to be selfish and keep her here just for me. Nobody else in the house would really care if she went to another home, just mainly me. Oh, this is just so difficult, but I have to make the decision.

Please help with some kind, but wise words on this matter. Thank you! :)

Well, I think it sound slike a viable option for her but have you first looked into getting her vaccines updated at a vaccine clinic.

All states are made to offer these and some are even free Rabies vaccines, you only need ot pay for the Distemper combination vax then and others you pay a small fee for both.

Normally they would be under $20.00 total.

Then, see if you have any vet tech schools or grooming schools in the area or better yet check with your local 4-H. They could offer some assistance in finding someone willing to do this for a lesser charge/fee.

I know that we offer grooming of a cat for about $25-30 not including a bath.

This would do nothing to help you withher possible health issues so that would still be a concern but it does offer you some other options.

Otherwise it sounds like you have thought this out well and if you cannot afford to care for her health then trying to find her a home that could would be her best option.

Although I would recommend not getting another pet until your finances have improved.

Good luck!

:grouphug:

It's never easy to admit someone else might do it better, especially when it comes to those we love.

How about a few trial visits? Could you go over and let her "visit" with your aunt and her cats with you there? This could be a gentle transition for everyone involved, if you have the time to spare.

My first thought is...it it really a standard thing that no one will groom a cat if she's not up to date on shots? My vet doesn't even recommend most shots for indoor cats (I took mine in a few weeks ago, and the only thing she suggested was a rabies shot "for legal reasons") What about a groomer not affiliated with a vet?

I know that may not solve the whole problem--if you're worried about ongoing grooming costs or other expenses for the cat, but if it's just the need to get shots that you're worried about, I would think there must be ways around that. On the other hand, she is getting older and will likely have more medical expenses in the near future, so now might be the time to think about re-homing her, given that you have the opportunity, if you think that's going to be a hardship. It's so tough, though, I know. If she were with her aunt, at least you'd be able to visit her regularly. :grouphug:

Thanks for the response.

I do not plan on having any more pets for a very long time, if ever. Like I mentioned above, I have had Callie for years and years. It has not always been like this, up until about a year ago, we were able to keep up with everything for her, so this has not been an ongoing thing.

Also, I really believe that it will take someone wonderfully talented and very professional to groom her since she looks so very rough. Some of the mattes are very bad. Her fur has started doing this and it never really did this before, it is actually quite strange, but awful.

Whoever grooms her can't sedate her either because of her size and age. Our vet will not allow this because he says it could be dangerous for her.

Anyway, thank you. Right now, we are looking at a cost of at least $300.00 which we simply don't have.

Very hard decision, indeed (((hugs))).

Is there a way you can barter with your aunt? As a cat-lover, maybe she would appreciate your concern over relocating an older (only) cat into a home with several other cats. Is there something you, your husband, your kids, or family as a whole could do to earn or payback your aunt if she were to front you the money?

It sounds like she how life is overwhelming for you at the present, and she truly shares your desire for the cat to be well-cared for and loved.

I would find another vet and get a different opinion. This doesn't seem to be a response that has the best interest of your cat at heart. If you want to keep the cat I think there will be people in the community out there to help you. Sorry that is not much help, but wanted you to know that it may work out.:grouphug:

Lesley

Thanks for the response.

I do not plan on having any more pets for a very long time, if ever. Like I mentioned above, I have had Callie for years and years. It has not always been like this, up until about a year ago, we were able to keep up with everything for her, so this has not been an ongoing thing.

Also, I really believe that it will take someone wonderfully talented and very professional to groom her since she looks so very rough. Some of the mattes are very bad. Her fur has started doing this and it never really did this before, it is actually quite strange, but awful.

Whoever grooms her can't sedate her either because of her size and age. Our vet will not allow this because he says it could be dangerous for her.

Anyway, thank you. Right now, we are looking at a cost of at least $300.00 which we simply don't have.

The older they get the less they care for themselves. She's stopped being as careful with her grooming, that is why it's gotten worse.

I hope you find an answer that works for everyone.

I just wanted to comment on this portion, because, I don't believe it is true. My kitty is 11 years old and a Maine Coon. He is 20 pounds (a very good weight for his breed and size) and just today I took him to our vet, who sedated him and cleaned his teeth. He did very well and there were no complications or problems with sedating him.

I would suggest you check with some other groomers and/or a different vet. You should not need shots for grooming and sedation shouldn't be a problem simply because of age or size, only if there are other health problems present.

I would find another vet and get a different opinion. This doesn't seem to be a response that has the best interest of your cat at heart. If you want to keep the cat I think there will be people in the community out there to help you. Sorry that is not much help, but wanted you to know that it may work out.:grouphug:

Lesley

:iagree:

Vaccines are required by many groomers because of the risk of cat to cat disease transmission however she is not that old at all. Obviously her health is unknown to us and without doing a blood panel and urine check up there could be health issues that we are unaware of. Maybe that is why he is quoting you so high of a price for grooming and vaccines.

If you are interested in keeping her I would recommend again looking for the vaccine clinics and checking with other groomers.

it is rare that I or my coworkers would need to sedate a cat for grooming, even if they are nasty can barely touch them type (which unfortunately does happen often).

Again only do this if you are interested in trying but because she is aging she is not able to groom herself properly.

Unless she is severly underweight or overweight and if we knew what sort of condition her organs were in, that would be the only time I would be cautious with sedation.

I just assisted with a dental cleaning and leg amputation on an otherwise very healthy 22 year old cat who is still very spry and active.

Otherwise if your aunt can afford and wants to care for her then let her try but you are correct in that your cat might not like moving to a household with other cats so it will be a decision that you have to make for the best of your family.

Hang in there!

Would your cat let you do the grooming? I have a large male who is very fluffy and I routinely bathe and give him lion cuts at least 2x a year. I wouldn't recommend cutting with scissors but use an electric shaver to avoid accidently cutting the skin. It is hard to see what is skin and what is matted fur when you are using scissors. Petsmart has special pet shavers that are low noise too. My kitty takes a snooze while he gets his shave.

I can understand why vets and groomers would want the pets to be up to date on their shots. It is in consideration of other pets health and the safety of the groomer/vet. Some of the groomers that travel to people's home may not have the same requirements.

Thank you for all the responses. I have some thinking to do on this whole matter.

The reason I am told that they won't sedate her is because she is overweight at 25 pounds. Really though, they haven't had to do that anyway because she is a pretty patient cat overall.

I think that I am going to try again to do some grooming with her. I can cut out the small mats or knots very easily. What is strange is how her hair along her back has matted.

It was as if she began losing her hair straight down the middle of her back and the hair parted, leaving a bald spot. Then, all the hair on either side began matting up terribly. Not small knots, but one massive matted area on each side. The matting goes so close to the skin that it is nearly impossible to simply cut it or even shave it. I have never seen anything like it before.

Callie is extremely patient with me, so I think I may give it another go before moving her out.

Also, my vet has always told me that Callie must be up to date on shots in order to be groomed there as well. I have taken her to other places to be groomed and have walked out very angry due to them not handling her properly at all. I really am not wanting to switch vets because I have come to trust them very well after going through a few rotten experiences in the beginning with her.

Anyway, thanks so much for the replies. I have a lot to think about. I hope each of you have a wonderful evening.

I would do the grooming myself. This will sound truly awful, but...

We had a long-haired indoor cat who was getting up there in years and his fur was getting terribly matty and yucky. We would brush him, but couldn't really get all the mats properly. Vet grooming would have cost around $100 and they wanted to put him under to do it. I didn't feel comfortable taking that risk with him, so...

I bought a grooming kit for $30 and I cut out as much of the worst mats as I could, then I shaved him -- every lick of hair on his body (left his head fur). I used the longest setting on the trimmer that I could. Once it was all gone, there were still the roots of a few mats, but then I bathed him (oh the horror! he didn't like that!) to get the rest of the mats out and wash him up properly. Part of the matting problem was the dirt embedding in the mats. Washing loosened everything up and I was able to go back over those spots, once he was dry, using the trimmer again to get it all even.

His fur did grow back, but we kept it trimmed periodically. Along with regular brushing, we were able to keep his grooming under control.

I have a 20 pound cat that was totally matted....but felt no one would be ABLE to groom her since she is a terror, LOL.

Well....I found someone that would do it with no anesthesia....I told them I would come and get her if they couldn't do it.

They did a wonderful job....although....they did tell me she was their toughest case, LOL!

She slept for 3 days after she was groomed, LOL!

It was as if she began losing her hair straight down the middle of her back and the hair parted, leaving a bald spot. Then, all the hair on either side began matting up terribly. Not small knots, but one massive matted area on each side. The matting goes so close to the skin that it is nearly impossible to simply cut it or even shave it. I have never seen anything like it before.

Callie is extremely patient with me, so I think I may give it another go before moving her out. .

I have a very feisty, hands-off sort of long-haired cat. He hates to be brushed so from time to time I have to deal with the larger matting it sounds like you're describing. If she's patient you should have an easier time than me--I have to get in and do it in short clips (or else I'll be bitten) and a little at a time.

What works best for me is to loosen up the mat using my (fellow sewers, close your ears! :bigear:) good quality, sharp sewing shears. Instead of going in parallel to the skin, I go in more perpendicular with the sharp tips and make small snips to help loosen things up. Then it's easier to cut away away at the mat, working from the top of the mat. As you cut it away you'll be able to see more what's going on and be less likely to pull at her skin.

You can also clip her around the mated areas now to keep those from spreading.

I'd give the cat to your aunt. Matts like that are horribly painful. They pull on the skin as she walks and moves, and get tighter over time. Often when the cat is shaved it is discovered that large amounts of the hair have been pulled out by the roots. Also, even after this is fixed you have an older cat that will have more medical expenses in the coming years. If you cant provide for that and your aunt can then that is the right decision.

The reason I am told that they won't sedate her is because she is overweight at 25 pounds. Really though, they haven't had to do that anyway because she is a pretty patient cat overall.

I think that I am going to try again to do some grooming with her. I can cut out the small mats or knots very easily. What is strange is how her hair along her back has matted.

Ok, we have a Maine Coon as well. Are you sure yours is over weight? Ours is about 22lbs...and she is not over weight...she is just a big cat.

At one point, our MC's fur got pretty matted, similar to what you describe. DH and I spent about a week (we did it over short periods of time, so she would not get stressed out.) He would hold her down, while I took scissors to her. I would cut the matted area down in small pieces. Once I got down to the point where I was afraid I would get skin...I would then take a wire brush, and then brush the rest of the mat out.

It was time consuming...and a bit stressful because she has black skin, so I was scared to death I would cut her...but we got it done.

Maine Coon cats don't usually need any special care to prevent matting of their fur. An occasional brushing is usually enough, and they do the rest with their grooming. But when cats are ill or unhappy, they tend to stop grooming themselves, and their coat changes dramatically. The combination causes their appearance to go downhill quickly.

I think the main question is whether, aside from finances, you are able as a family to provide for her needs. Is she being loved and given attention? Was she before her fur became a mess? If the answer is that your family life is too busy to give her the love and attention she needs, then by all means let your aunt adopt her. She'll get the care she needs, and probably enjoy the company of the other cats too. :)

If you love her and had been giving her attention in the past and are willing to put in the effort as a family, a little bit of love and care can go a long way. I would recommend buying a de-matting rake. This is a metal comb - more like a set of single sided knives that cut through the fur -that works wonders on mats. Work slowly and gently, and for short periods of time as what has been said about the mats is very true - they can be very painful. Don't try to get the whole rake through the fur, just use one or two tines and put them close against the skin and gently work them out cutting through the mat. They will come out in clumps, but most of the fur with remain and be fine. You will probably find that she's very dirty, but don't wash her first - that will make the mats even worse and make it more painful for her. Do a thorough mat removal and overall brushing, and then give her a shower/bath with baby shampoo. Dilute some of the shampoo in a plastic container, and after she's wet, pour this over her, or apply it with a sponge, and work it into her fur. Rinse and repeat. Pay particular attention to her rear end. Make sure you rinse all the shampoo out thoroughly. Dry her with a towel, and let her dry in a warm room - not airconditioned or with air blowing on her. A hair dryer can be used on a low setting, but most cats find the noise upsetting. When she's dry, or even as she dries, gently brush her with a gentle cat brush (plastic tips on the bristles to protect their skin). Then give her lots of love and attention and you'll probably notice that she resumes her good grooming habits. If she doesn't, there may be an underlying medical problem. If you've done all of this, and the cat needs a vet, you can maybe appeal to your aunt and ask for her help. If you show her a clean, brushed and loved cat who needs a vet, she may be willing to help out without the stipulation that she keeps the cat. It's worth a try.

Let us know what you decide. 12 or 13 isn't old for a cat. :)

ETA: If the mats are truly everywhere, as was previously suggested, shaving the body may be the easiest and least painful way to go. I really need to read first and post later.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I'd give the cat to your aunt. Matts like that are horribly painful. They pull on the skin as she walks and moves, and get tighter over time. .

Which is probably why you think she's arthritic, when in fact it very well could be that just moving is incredibly painful for her, poor thing. 13 really isn't that old for a cat.

I have to agree--- your aunt seems much better able to provide her the care she needs.

I'm sorry you're going through this, but think of how poor kitty must feel.

astrid

Yup, that's what I thought too. Not arthritic, just painful to move because every move pulls on her hair.

Also, if you try to cut them out yourself do NOT use scissors. ONLY use clippers. Cat skin is like paper, it is SOOOO easy to cut by accident. I can't tell you how many cats I've seen with lacerations from well meaning owners using scissors.

Katie

Which is probably why you think she's arthritic, when in fact it very well could be that just moving is incredibly painful for her, poor thing. 13 really isn't that old for a cat.

I have to agree--- your aunt seems much better able to provide her the care she needs.

I'm sorry you're going through this, but think of how poor kitty must feel.

astrid

If it was my cat, I would do the grooming myself. Cut out the mats as best you can, give her a bath/blow dry, and see how she looks.

Take care,

Suzanne

Same here. I know my cat wouldn't look fantastic after me and my scissors got through with her but the mats would be gone and she'd be more comfortable.

People used to do this kind of thing themselves, didn't they? Certainly my mother always has with her animals.

Yup, that's what I thought too. Not arthritic, just painful to move because every move pulls on her hair.

Also, if you try to cut them out yourself do NOT use scissors. ONLY use clippers. Cat skin is like paper, it is SOOOO easy to cut by accident. I can't tell you how many cats I've seen with lacerations from well meaning owners using scissors.

Katie

Then nix my scissor suggestion. :)

Then give her lots of love and attention and you'll probably notice that she resumes her good grooming habits. If she doesn't' date=' there may be an underlying medical problem. If you've done all of this, and the cat needs a vet, you can maybe appeal to your aunt and ask for her help. If you show her a clean, brushed and loved cat who needs a vet, she may be willing to help out without the stipulation that she keeps the cat. It's worth a try..[/quote']

When my cat leans on the heavy side he can't reach several areas and that's when he has matting problems. Otherwise he has good grooming habbits.

Katie

:iagree: