Menu

Do you like/even notice when people list their curriculum in their sig?

Something I kind of wonder about is when people label their kids in their sig. You know, like "the artistic one," "the engineer," "the literary one." Sometimes the children are very young. I grew up in a family where everyone had their role/pigeonhole, and I came to think of those roles as very restrictive. (I got a 1500 on my SATs, but I was not "the smart one" in the family. And my sister "the troublemaker" - I still see that affecting her relationships in the family 30 years later.) I know that people are probably doing this is a lighthearted way, and I'm probably taking it too seriously, but I do sometimes wonder about defining your children so early.

Yes, I have pondered the same. I actually thought about using something like that in our family blog, rather than their names, then I realised that it would pigeonhole them in a way I didn't want to do. So for now their names are still in the blog.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I (respectfully) disagree.

Especially since just recently there was a post about a (I think) 10 year old's writing, and I did comment, with my 4.5 long years of experience of a parent.

Just because I only have a 4.5 year old daughter doesn't mean I haven't been around/taught/cared for other children, of varying ages.

In the same vein, I have taken advice from parents of infants (and not-even parents yet!!) and given advice to parents with children much older than mine. You don't necessarily have to have the same exact experience as someone else to give valuable advice.

But... in answer to the original post... I love when people list their curriculum, children, and ages in their signatures. Especially if they have a blog linked also. If I see that they are using similar curriculums to me (or curriculums I have been considering) I am very likely to check out the blog.

(And yet, I have my blogs listed and no curriculum. :lol: In my defense, I did just recently make all the final decisions about what to use!! :D

I was looking at your blogs and found out you are the same age as my oldest daughter. She has a little girl that will be 3 in Dec. and a 5 month old little boy.

You sound like such a good Mommy. I saw the photo of your little girl. She looks like a sweetie. :001_smile:

I was looking at your blogs and found out you are the same age as my oldest daughter. She has a little girl that will be 3 in Dec. and a 5 month old little boy.

You sound like such a good Mommy. I saw the photo of your little girl. She looks like a sweetie. :001_smile:

Aw... thank you! :D It's always wonderful to be complimented... especially on the best part of me, my sweet girl!

(I'm SUCH a bad blogger. :tongue_smilie: I actually have new posts waiting to go out, but I've been having computer problems and can't upload my pictures. arg.)

I really enjoy reading poster's signature lines. I've gotten curriculum ideas from folks with other materials in common, and enjoy seeing the various mixes of curriculum other families put together. I do also tend to look to the signature lines when I read something in a post that really moves me... or bothers me. It's helpful to know ages and genders sometimes, when evaluating the options people choose. And I also enjoy the blog links, especially if something in the post itself has intrigued me about the writer. Yes, sometimes I end up on time-wasting rabbit trails, but often I've found some really helpful ideas and tips and approaches by learning from the experiences of others.

*Sniff* My kids are three and one, thank you very much.

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

Exactly. Even though I *know* which parent of a four year old (who surely must be five by now?) some posters are obliquely referring to, and do not personally take offense to most of his input on the boards, I do dislike such characterizations being thrown around casually. Rosie and others make such frequent insightful and encouraging comments, that I would hate for them to feel unwelcome here. :grouphug:

I have found the curriculum lists in signatures really useful. I came onto this board with experience of only UK home ed forums. They generally don't talk curriculum and on the rare occasion they do its only really the very limited British options. I have learnt so much from people's lists and its allowed me to find great places to start researching what will suit us. I think I would have missed a lot of options without those lists. I am very grateful for them.

Exactly. Even though I *know* which parent of a four year old (who surely must be five by now?) some posters are obliquely referring to, and do not personally take offense to most of his input on the boards, I do dislike such characterizations being thrown around casually. Rosie and others make such frequent insightful and encouraging comments, that I would hate for them to feel unwelcome here. :grouphug:

I think many of us are thinking of a her, not a him. ;)

It's not about not being welcome, and it shouldn't offend; anyone can post their opinion or recommendation. I, and others, have just learned that it is more reliable to listen to the recommendations of people who have actually used the curriculum or taught the subject or done the parenting day in and day out with their own dc. I can look at the advice given by a mom of littles and see how I would have said the same thing at the time, but years of experience have changed my views. And when you talk to other older moms, they say the same. Newer homeschool moms have much to offer - energy, a fresh perspective, etc. - they shouldn't need to feel like they have to rush to offer things that take experience to know instead.

I think it's a sign of the times/ our culture/ whatever that no one ever wants to be the new person or have others think they are inexperienced. I have been to so many homeschool meetings with a mom of a preschooler who has done all the research and can tell us all how to do it the right way. :D I just nod and smile and wait.

Ironically, if you go to the high school board, you will see that by the time our dc are 13 or 14 yo, we are a lot more willing to say we don't know and beg for help from those who have btdt. :001_smile:

I find it very helpful, especially when I'm researching curriculum. For example, if I find a 2008 thread about a program that someone LOVES, yet in their sig. I see they are no longer using it, it gives me pause. Did "x-program" really work out for them? If I do further research, I may find a thread where they list the troubles they've had with the program, and decision to try another.

In general, it's just nice to have a little background on the advice-giver. (At this stage in the game, I'm more of an advice asker than a giver. ;) )

I am also humbled by the extraordinary mothers on this board of large families. :) Keep up the excellent work!

Rosie, you are a person whose insights I value very much. Definitely didn't have you in mind. :)

Thanks :) but I was just acknowledging that I know I am in that category for some people. I'm sure they'd rather I was being obnoxious deliberately than suffering from some kind of delusion where I really do think I know everything.

:)

Rosie

Thanks :) but I was just acknowledging that I know I am in that category for some people. I'm sure they'd rather I was being obnoxious deliberately than suffering from some kind of delusion where I really do think I know everything.

:)

Rosie

I have really enjoyed your posts here. You are smart and have a great sense of humor. I hope you do not in any way feel unwelcome.

I definitely notice the curriculum. I like seeing all the different things people are doing, and if someone is using the same things I'm using and has children of similar ages, it usually prompts me to make a mental note to watch their posts, especially if they're school related. It's also interesting to see what all is out there and how many of us seem to be using any given program/book.

:iagree:

I like to read almost anything in signatures. :001_smile: I think it makes everything here more personal, like we're all aquaintances. Curriculum choices are nice to know, and it's interesting when more than one type match up to mine.

P.S. I had to make up a few of my own acronyms for curriculum in my siggy, because I ran out of characters!

I like to read quotes, and sometimes curricula (I run a homeschooling network, so it's nice to find out about new stuff to investigate).

I also find it interesting to read the religious professions of people. But I'm weird that way.

a

I don't think that is weird. I like to find out what religion people are too, but I have always been very interested in religion.