Menu

grammAr, grammAr, grammAr...

I think you ladies are being just rEdiculous! Lol Really though.... I know how you feel. That and grammEr drive me nuts! Everytime I see someone type rEdiculous instead of rIdiculous, I get so mad. I guess it's not a word people use too often.

The other one is when someone says something like, "She DON'T need to go to the store." How does this even SOUND grammatically correct? I try to teach my children not to do this and when to use "does" or "doesn't" and when someone does it grammatically incorrect in front of my children, it irks me!

And please don't look down on me if there are errors in this post. Those of you with iPhones know how annoying this supposedly amazing piece of technology can be. Unfortunately, it hasn't been perfected as of yet! LOL

Edited by parias1126

I actually use "teh" on purpose for some things. It is internet slang in some circles.

But the rest of the stuff? Um, yeah.

Wait: Yeah and Yea. The first is boredom or assent (Yeah, whatever, ok), and the second is Whoopee! or cheerleading, or assent (Yea, I firmly agree).

a

All I want to say is that it is BARROW. Wheel BARROW. Not barrel! You would be AMAZED how many people, including adults, think it is a wheel "barrel." (I'm referring to how often I've heard it said in real life, not on here).

And there are some phrases that are always used wrong. It's one AND the same, not one IN the same. It's nip it in the BUD, not nip it in the BUTT. It's I couldn't care less, not I COULD care less. It's once IN a while, not once AND a while.

Okay, thanks, I feel better now. haha.

Wait: Yeah and Yea. The first is boredom or assent (Yeah, whatever, ok), and the second is Whoopee! or cheerleading, or assent (Yea, I firmly agree).

I've been fighting this battle with my FB friends and people who text me--including ER, who definitely (NOT definately, and NOT defiantly!) knows better. They use Yea for Yeah, and Yay for Yea. Drives me bonkers!

And the other one that really gets to me is using alright (which is not even a real word) in place of all right.

Yeah. I'm going to be all right. I definitely needed to get this off my chest. :lol:

Anyways, I bought 3 grammer curriculums at a garage sell yesterday. I was going to sale some math curriculums, but their was already to of them they're. :willy_nilly:

That is another one that drives me crazy!

sale

sell

They don't even *sound* the same! How do people get them mixed up?!

"I have some items for sell." "Will you sale those to me?" What? Really?? I see this *all* the time.

When Mom and I received the first first galleys of the very first edition of The Well-Trained Mind, the typesetter had put the following heading across every single page of the first section...

THE GRAMMER STAGE

I was so afraid to crack open the first copies of the book itself in case they'd forgotten to fix that.

SWB

sale

sell

"I have some items for sell." "Will you sale those to me?" What? Really?? I see this *all* the time.

I think for some people they do sound the same or almost the same.

Just thought of something else.. I cannot type texts on my cell in this modern, teenage text-speak. I can't even read it. Does that mean I'm just old, or have a severe case of spelling OCD?

Me, either. I know some adult, middle-aged women who post on FB using that kind of spelling and it drives. me. NUTS!

sale

sell

I think for some people they do sound the same or almost the same.

:iagree: It's hard to tell the difference when my Texan hubby says them, and he doesn't really even have much of a drawl.

The thing that gets me is when people (teens, mostly) want to emphasize that they REALLY LOVE something when posting on fb. "LOOOOOOOVE" would be annoying enough, but they post, "LOVEEEEEEE." It just makes me itch to ask them if they really love-eeeeeeee their new phones or boyfriends or whatever!

Definitely, definitely, definitely (as opposed to definetely :tongue_smilie: which is, of course, incorrect).

...or definately. "Definately" a popular spelling of "definitely"...on this board. :tongue_smilie:

Really surprised no one has mentioned cirriculum. As in, "I need a spelling cirriculum". Gotta go, getting way too in touch with my inner mean girl.

Geo

...now that I've read all the posts in this thread, I can see I had nothing original to add to the conversation. Poo.

Edited by Geo

:lol:

These threads make me paranoid about my spelling & grammar...:leaving:

I just rebel against the pressure to conform to good grammar!!! I still remember the day I wrote this (what I thought) wonderful story for my mother. She looked at it and said "I can't read this!!! The grammar is to bad!!!" Come on! I was in 3rd grade, way to squelch my interest.

So, I live in a state of perpetual grammar rebellion :D!

Thankfully, dh has wonderful grammar skills...so the kiddos don't suffer to terribly!

(Now you know the story behind my siggy line!)

Edited by simka2
okay...even I can add "ly" to a word!