Menu

Why Latin? In one sentence, please.

Kay in Cal

OK, I'm used to the "Why do you homeschool?" question from acquaintances, and have developed some go-to answers over the years.

However, this week was asked twice, "Why do you teach Latin?" *

I found myself starting to talk about the Trivium, the history of Latin as the basis for western education, how Latin prepares the mind for logic, Dorothy Sayers, Latin-Centered curiculum, our goal of being able to read original works in Latin... and it all tumbled out as too much. I have too much information to answer concisely or clearly and was caught unprepared. Two raised eyebrows ensued.

So, if you teach Latin--give me a good, concise, understandable, non-snarky answer to give to someone who asks "Why?"

*--Yes, I do know I don't have to give an explanation to anyone, but both of these persons were church friends and were honestly curious about the value of Latin, not just busybodies with nothing better to do than give me a hard time. Otherwise I would have come up with something like "Because we enjoy the tango, and hope to visit Latin America some day."

I kind of say something close to that as well. Because it will prepare them to study any number of modern languages, since many were based on Latin.

My mom likes it because it will really help their SAT scores.

And sometimes I say because it is also the language of science. (and my dd has said since she was 3 that she is going to be a paleontologist.)

This is what I told my brother-in-law just a few weeks ago:

Latin is the root of all languages and many of our words come right from Latin, it reinforces grammar and teaches vocabulary. Latin is all around us, It is on our money, on our monuments and in terms we use everday like, AM and PM, lbs, ect, A.D., P.S....

Ok, that was two sentences. ;)

because I wish I had learned Latin as I think it would have really helped me on the SAT's

Latin is the root of all languages and many of our words come right from Latin, it reinforces grammar and teaches vocabulary. Latin is all around us, It is on our money, on our monuments and in terms we use everday like, AM and PM, lbs, ect, A.D., P.S....

but this reason sounds a lot better than mine :D

You could combine several main positives into short phrases, for example:

"Oh, it teaches so much: logical thinking, vocabulary, grammar, history, to name a few, and it makes it easy to learn another language."

Of course, I could never say that, maybe I need it on a note card or something! I would end up babbling and not saying anything close to that.

Because DS asked for it. (Yes, he really did ask to learn Latin. :))

But really I usually say the things others have already mentioned: it helps with learning other languages later, English roots and science/medical/legal terminology.

We are just starting Latin this year so I haven't had it come up much so far.

I explained to a parent that I teach Latin because it is not conversational language and therefore is easiest taught by me rather than a living language that should be taught by someone who can speak it. I didn't want to sound superior to this tri-lingual person. He said he understood.

"Why do you teach Latin?"

"Because it helps our understanding of English grammar, it teaches us how to study something systematically (which is useful in other studies), and it provides an understanding of the structure of other languages."

I had this same conversation last week, and the person fully agreed with me after I explained.

I don't teach it yet - but I begged for it (unsuccessfully) in high school myself....

"It is a gateway language"

Seriously though - most languages are latin based. Science and the medical field are all latin based. Our own language has a latin base. If you understand latin roots, suffixes, prefixes, etc - you can figure just about ANYTHING out.

Seriously though - most languages are latin based.

They're not.

A few dozen are, and the rest of about six thousand world languages aren't.

... but English-wise and Romance languages-wise, it IS a useful vocabulary tool, and for the latter also syntax tool.

Edited by Ester Maria

I always give an answer that I know they will understand:

"Studies show people who study Latin score higher on the SAT than those who don't"

That's not really why we study Latin, but everyone seems to "get" that answer.

That's what we say for a one sentence answer. The explaination I gave my son was that it made the English language like a code to break. Rather than memorizing all the words, he could figure out their meaning through Latin.