Menu

Artist and composer monthly?

parias1126

We've done some random artist and composer studies (last year we studied Van Gogh and Beethoven). The year before, we studied Monet. For artist prints, I bought the Taschen Portfolio from Barnes and Noble (you can still buy them online at a great price).

We also studied Renaissance art last year because we were covering that time period in history. We also studied some art and music from the Middle Ages prior to that.

This year, we will be in the Baroque period, so we are studying artists and composers from that period. We will sample art and music from many, but we will delve more deeply on certain ones.

For art, we will start with Caravaggio (no books written for children about him, so we will do picture study). We will study deepy Rembrandt, Vermeer, Velazquez and Vigee-LeBrun (because she painted Marie Antionette, not because of "Baroqueness"). We will look at art from other Baroque artists as well.

For music, we will concentrate on Bach, Handel and Vivaldi, though we will start with listening to some Monteverdi and Purcell (no books for children on these figures either).

My plans are on the left-hand side of my blog.

For artist prints, I ordered calendars with Vermeer, Rembrandt and Rubens. I also ordered prints from Ambleside Online.

I may order architecture prints from University Prints.

Oh, I also make a screen saver out of prints for artists we are currently studying.

Edited by nestof3

We're getting geared up to start our year... anyhow, we choose a composer and artist for each month, I reserve a biography of each (and a couple of story books) at the library. I have a good collection of classical music, but if I need more, I reserve that at the library too. I also have Discovering Great Artists on hand... Here's a list of story books on composers and artists.

How it works: Once we have everything on hand, we'll read the biographies/stories. We listen to the music (at home or in the car, sometimes while working on art projects, etc.), and check out art online through something like Artchives. We do a project from the hands-on art book. I may have the kids fill out a notebooking sheet for each composer/artist. And that's it!

Go to Classics4Kids - a new composer each month with a short printout and weekly audio broadcast. I just use them out of order - 2x/term.

I haven't found anything for artist study yet, so I make my own from Penny Gardener and Ambleside. I am still luring my children in, as suggested on Charlotte Mason Help, so I pick artists/pieces that will appeal to the boys.

Amy

I like this book for studying composers. There is information about each composer's life and a worksheet to review it. There is a cd with one major piece from each composer. It's simple but good.

Garden of Praise has the site of artists studies that is free. There is information on the artist, artwork, printables and online games.

We use the layout from http://www.materamabilis.org/ but for all 3 kiddos at the same time for composer study and picture study.

I do like the idea someposted (Angela maybe) of each child making their own Artist's book using a postcard size picture that they place in *their* book with the picture title and artist. My kids would love this. I want to stop by Ross/TJMaxx for some photo albums with write-in spaces (one for each child).

We play one composer the entire month.

The book looks great!

I like this book for studying composers. There is information about each composer's life and a worksheet to review it. There is a cd with one major piece from each composer. It's simple but good.

Garden of Praise has the site of artists studies that is free. There is information on the artist, artwork, printables and online games.

Weird, I keep getting different payment subscriptions. It tells me I have to buy a subscription or upload a file.

I just downloaded it without paying. On the right side of the screen is a download button.

Thank you, sarawatsonim!

Edited by nestof3

We are using Harmony Fine Arts as well. It's great. This month we are studying Renoir and Vivaldi. She has links to the pictures on-line and it's all very well organized. So, we do art and music appreciation 2 days a week and then Applied Art using Drawing with Children and Applied Music attempting to learn to read music and play the recorder. It's been great.

Weird, I keep getting different payment subscriptions. It tells me I have to buy a subscription or upload a file.

I think it is new? At least it told me I had to pay last week. If you have "enough" files shared, you don't have to pay. I think their method (selling things they didn't create - and they add your stuff to the "archive" for you) is poor taste, even though I understand bandwidth is expensive. (All this is from the FAQ.) I moved my stuff to hslaunch.com

Anyway, I wanted you to know you aren't seeing things!

EDIT to add: I had ~5 files shared, but hadn't added any for a while - I don't know if this is why it wants me to subscribe.

LOL!

Amy

Edited by mtcougar832
add

For art, we will start with Caravaggio (no books written for children about him, so we will do picture study). We will study deepy Rembrandt, Vermeer, Velazquez and Vigee-LeBrun (because she painted Marie Antionette, not because of "Baroqueness"). We will look at art from other Baroque artists as well.

I think I have a book about Caravaggio but couldn't find it at home.

There is a freebie download for "Any painter study" from HOCH:

http://www.handsofachild.com/shop/Freebie.aspx

You can make your own lap-n-note book using it.

There is a very good serias of " Great Artists" books for kids( printed in 1903) by Jennie Ellis Keysor. Reproductions are in black and white but you can find them in color elsewhere.

Here is a link to Great Artist books:

http://www.mainlesson.com/displayauthor.php?author=keysor

Does anyone have a monthly plan they wish to share? Do you work on a composer or artist each month? If not, how do you go about your studies? I would love any suggestions, links to helpful blogs, websites, etc.

We are going to do a "composer of the month" type thing starting in September. Mainly listen to the composer's music while riding in the van - of course talk about a few details regarding the composer (very simple stuff). I plan on starting with German composers because of our strong German heritage.

We are going to do monthly studies of American artists along with our American history study this year. I used the Great American Artists for Kids book (from our library) to choose who we will study.

We are starting next month and studying the following. There are lots more in the book, but I picked the ones I liked or especially liked the project.

September- Edward Hicks

October-John James Audubon

November-Mary Cassat

December-Currier & Ives

January-Frank Lloyd Wright, Walt Disney

February-Grandma Moses

March-Theodor Seuss Geisel, Norman Rockwell

April-Andy Warhol

May-Bev Doolittle

I'm going to use the information and project from the book and look for library books or stuff online.

We've been reading a chapter book titled A Nest for Celeste which is about James Audubon.

We are going to do monthly studies of American artists along with our American history study this year. I used the Great American Artists for Kids book (from our library) to choose who we will study.

We are starting next month and studying the following. There are lots more in the book, but I picked the ones I liked or especially liked the project.

September- Edward Hicks

October-John James Audubon

November-Mary Cassat

December-Currier & Ives

January-Frank Lloyd Wright, Walt Disney

February-Grandma Moses

March-Theodor Seuss Geisel, Norman Rockwell

April-Andy Warhol

May-Bev Doolittle

I'm going to use the information and project from the book and look for library books or stuff online.

I'll add what we are doing this year:

Term 1: John James Audubon

Term 2: N C Wyeth

Term 3: Sir Edwin Henry Landseer & Thomas Gainsborough

We are doing the "Book of Masterpieces" - I read about it on CharlotteMasonHelp. I found pictures through Penny Gardener's website and a yahoo group for Ambleside year 0. I choose the pictures based on what my children would like, next year I hope to branch out a little more. I have the pictures printed 4x6, 4 copies (1 for me plus 3 DC) and we do one every week.

HTH and I'm enjoying others' selections.

Amy

We use Meet the Masters for art study once a month or so, and I usually buy a couple of books to reinforce what we learn - I try for Smart About Art and a book by Laurence Anholt if either series covers the artist in question. Meet the Masters includes art history and an art project with some technique work in preparation for the project.

I can't quite get a similar thing going with composers...

Nikki

We do the same as Nikki, follow the Meet the Masters program, cover an artist unit per month, and do follow-up additional readings/projects. We just started, but it's already such a success with our family. I love both the Smart About Art and Anholt books, but I'm loving Venezia's books even better - Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists. Coincidentally I was preparing a blog post on all the MTM artists covered, along with any go-along books. I also am listing all the Venezia books just for convenience.

I'm printing out tons of prints for ease of artist appreciation studies, mostly using Art Archive and AO Artist Study Yahoo groups.

We're having a blast learning about the artists so far, can't wait to start learning about composers! I'm already picking out resources for our composer study, this is all so much fun. And thanks Sara for your great compilation of composer study you made and shared!

Someone just told me about a series called Classical Kids. They're audio dramas that give some history on the composer set to the music of that composer. We just tried the one called Beethoven Lives Upstairs and it was fantastic. We're actually on our second round of it. We'll definitely check out the other programs in this series.

I think I'm going to download some of the pieces they feature in the program to play in the house and the car and we'll call this "Beethoven month". I might also try to find a picture and a short bio.

As for artists, I bought a book an artist friend recommended called Month by Month Masterpieces, but I haven't done much with it yet. It's got an artist of the month and big posters of their works. I think it's out of print now, but I got it used (WITH all the posters, hooray!) on Amazon.