Menu

Would anyone require their child to take piano/instrument lessons?

No, because you'd be wasting a lot of emotion and money. Unless your child is into music, I wouldnt "make" them learn an instrument. My 8 yr old said he wanted to play piano, so we signed him up... he didnt care for it and getting him to practice just ended in fights. We let him drop them... and we are all happier.

I'm struggling with this right now. I would like for all of my kids to learn to play an instrument, because I just consider it to be one of those important life skills. (I realize that this has more to do with my own love of music than any absolute necessity -- lots of people lead very happy lives playing nothing more than the radio!) One already does play an instrument; one is learning; one is an Aspie and I pick my battles *very* carefully; and that leaves the child whom I would like to learn an instrument -- but who is not interested. The thing is, he isn't interested in much of anything, so I don't know if that's a good barometer! He asked for a guitar, and he got one for his birthday. I really think that the least he can do is give lessons a shot.

But as I said, I struggle with it. Music ought to be a joy, not an obligation. Then again, there's a lot to be said for the discipline....

Sigh.

Yes, but my son is musically gifted. I say I *make* him take lessons because he also struggles to a degree with SPD, and although he is quite addicted to playing music, the associated rigor/discipline/focus is hard for him. He's just a kid that goes through lots of ups and downs with *everything*. He's have quit long ago if I let him. Not an option. I told him he has to take lessons until he finishes level 10 of certificate of merit :). At that point he will be able to do whatever he wants in any music related area. It is to his benefit to stick it out and see things through, and it is to my benefit to make him do so, although I want rip his head off occasionally :). BTW, he has been taking since age almost 8, and he is almost 14 now and doing level 7 CM. There are many many side benefits that I won't go into - both physically/motor skill wise and maturity wise.

My son started very young (2 years old...almost 3). He showed interest in music at a very young age. At 5 years old, he is really only now able to play with both hands and he has to put in a lot of effort so I would not say that he has a natural talent. However, I wanted him to start early so it would be just a way of life for him. There really isn't much argument over piano at this point. For him, it's just the way it is. For me, I see learning music the same as learning math or learning to read. If he would like to try a new instrument when he's older, I'm not opposed to that. If he wants to stop lessons once he's graduated, that will be his choice. For now, music is a required subject.

And for what reason? And at what age?

Yes. Because I thought I was supposed to provide "music" for my children. It started around age 5.

In retrospect (they took lessons for 4 years), I'm glad did. Ds doesn't play anything anymore, just listens. Dd plays what she likes to hear (modern music) - but she can only play it because she had lessons to learn how to read the music and what to do with it. I can only hope ds gets to the same place someday; the knowledge has been provided and taught, the rest is up to them now, with a fair few nudges from Yours Truly :).

ETA - I shouldn't say that dd still plays "because she had lesson to learn how to read the music" - that just helps. Both dd and dh (who can't read a lick of music) play a lot, mostly figuring things by ear. I just think the exposure to the notes has been helpful for dd.

Edited by LauraGB

Dh and I have decided that it's very important for our children to have experiences in both sports and music. We won't force them to do anything, but we are going to encourage as much as possible. We're very fortunate to have a great homeschool music program in our area that offers band, orchestra and choir programs as well as a local homeschool drama group. We'll offer them many opportunities to find their niche, but if it's just not up their alley we won't push.

As for what age, I'm thinking that by late elementary (4-5th) to early middle school (6-7th) I'd like them to be experimenting with different musical arts.

Yes, I consider this an essential skill. They do not have to become musicians, but they should learn to read music. Also, you get a better grasp of music theory etc when you actually play an instrument.

DD started piano at age 5 and played for six years.

DS started piano at age 7 and played for three years.

They did not have to stick with it forever, but they had to give it a try and learn the basics.

DD has since moved on to choir (which is fine with me I am a singer too and consider voice my primary instrument)

I would not start with a child until they can read.

Yes, people learn all sorts of useful skills when they learn to play an instrument. It's a non-negotiable, like math, reading, swimming, learning to ride a bike, learning to drive, etc

:iagree:

I personally don't care if it's an instrument or singing in the choir. Both my kids have chosen instruments (piano and guitar) and it has worked well for us. My dd is non-musical, BUT she just adores her piano teacher and is motivated to work hard to please her. This process has actually helped her immeasurably, both in terms of developing pitch and a musical ear, but also the process of plugging away at something that doesn't come easily, and succeeding at it, has been a great life lesson.

Just a thought about the "music ought to be a joy, not an obligation...." I've had to think this through as well, and as I said, my son would have quit multiple times, but the reasoning I've stuck with, with him, is that yes, the learning is *hard work* - VERY hard work sometimes - but it is the path to FREEDOM......freedom to truly enjoy playing "anything you want to play". DS loves to sit down and just play....stuff he has heard by ear....miscellaneous easier repetoire...you name it. And he is free to do that, and enjoy doing it because he has put in the hard work of practicing. For years. With and without nagging/dragging/blood/sweat/tears. Sometimes they have to be forced to do some of the hard work before they can truly enjoy for themselves the results. I guess what I mean is....success begets success...and some kids need a little dragging to get them to the success at first. Sometimes you have to be pushed a bit through the "obligation" to be able to see the "joy". I'll bet there are more adults than not that were pushed a bit to learn music that are glad their parents did so. Just my 2c.

Kayleen

Well, sort of. "Make" may be a strong word because music is sort of a family business thing, and just like a farmer has his children learn some aspects of farming, my kids learn aspects of music. They do have choices on instruments or how they wish to include their talents into the group.

My son was "made" to take violin for years, it was just one of the things he did, not something we ever negotiated. I thought he'd be good at it, he thought it looked cool, I took him to lessons. He loved the idea, absolutely loved it when he accomplished something with it, has a great deal of talent, but practice was a fight at times. I took it simply as a character issue. He wanted to live off talent alone, and he was happy being lazy. That wasn't an issue of music not being his thing, it was simply character molding. Whatever a family or child's focus is, whether sports or chess, there will be decisions for building character. Music is as fine a way to build character and perseverance as sports or anything else, but in our case more applicable.

He has the basic skills now so we pulled him from the formal viola lessons recently so he could take a break and simply enjoy fiddling for a couple years as he matures, since the techniques required at the level he had attained were higher than I think he had the maturity to do well. He'll need to personally own the next step in his skills there, though he is expected to give his best for the group. He also takes fiddle lessons twice a month from a fiddle player who does know basic classical technique as well, to ensure he doesn't lose any skills or develop bad habits.

My old daughters are self-motivated because I let them choose the instruments, the expression of their talent, and they have built the character at this point for the work.

My youngest starts violin in a few weeks. She'd be terribly left out if she didn't.

All this said - I don't like seeing music as nothing more than one more "subject". Music should be an aspect of community and life. Yes, there is grunt work involved and character to mold, but there should also be purpose behind it. Making music as a family, for the elderly, in church, personal satisfaction... something. Just don't isolate it as another thing they'll sit back and wonder why on earth they're doing this. They get enough of that from algebra. :lol:

Absolutely!!!

Reasons:

1. I'm all in to developing all areas of their brain (left, right front back)...reading music and playing help develop specific areas that really can not be matched....

http://musiced.about.com/od/beginnersguide/a/pinst.htm

2. We invested in a piano...we treat music just as we do math...it's essential..do we expect them to become master pianists? No, none of mine have shown that gift...but can they sit and play/read music, yes...do I teach them math so they'll be an Einstein? no, I teach them so they will be proficient not perfect.

3. Now that they've each had 5 years of lessons, their music lessons are simple, just pick 3 songs and practice..they're all enjoying picking out their own music and advancing themselves..each weekend we have a mini-concert where they each play for me & dad...

At any time they can try another instrument, the hard part is done, they can read music...if you can read piano, you can pretty much work your way through other instruments...

My kids may complain about math, science, writing and even piano...but the fewest of the complaints come from piano...when you can play the theme song from Lord of the Rings...and it's your favorite movie, it's really amazing to see them get into it....just another facet of the love of learning I want to impart to my kids.

Tara

In our family piano lessons are part of their education. Its not negotiable. In general they all really like playing and they know they can play the music that they enjoy because they practice. Of course, sometimes they are not as enthusiastic.

My neighbor is a music teacher. She says that when parents tell her that their kids won't practice she says, "Do they do their math homework?" Its just a matter of priorities. Math is not usually negotiable, piano practice isn't either, around here. Of course, music doesn't have to be a priority. All families are different.

Terry

Just a thought about the "music ought to be a joy, not an obligation...." I've had to think this through as well, and as I said, my son would have quit multiple times, but the reasoning I've stuck with, with him, is that yes, the learning is *hard work* - VERY hard work sometimes - but it is the path to FREEDOM......freedom to truly enjoy playing "anything you want to play". DS loves to sit down and just play....stuff he has heard by ear....miscellaneous easier repetoire...you name it. And he is free to do that, and enjoy doing it because he has put in the hard work of practicing. For years. With and without nagging/dragging/blood/sweat/tears. Sometimes they have to be forced to do some of the hard work before they can truly enjoy for themselves the results. I guess what I mean is....success begets success...and some kids need a little dragging to get them to the success at first. Sometimes you have to be pushed a bit through the "obligation" to be able to see the "joy". I'll bet there are more adults than not that were pushed a bit to learn music that are glad their parents did so. Just my 2c.

Kayleen

I agree with this. I have told my kids that while the early stages of learning an instrument can seem dreary at times, there does come that wonderful point at which you have learned enough that you can take off on your own. It happened to me. I took a couple of years of piano and felt like all I did was scales and arpeggios and other boring drills, while plodding through silly "baby" tunes. Then one summer I picked up a book that was a little above my playing level, and I spent time working on these tunes (which were more like "real" songs) until I had mastered them. Two things enabled me to do that -- a) motivation and b) a knowledge of the basics. I may not be able to instill the motivation in my son to do the same thing I did, but I can give him a knowledge of the basics.

No, I would leave that up to them.

I, too, have to provide "music" as a required subject, but that can be done in other ways than playing an instrument. For instance, last year, for 4th grade, we read a mini bio on a different composer each week, and then listened to samples of that composer's music on Youtube, among other things.

What I require are the fundaments of solfeggio and harmony (learned in small digestible chunks each year), basic overview of the history of (Western) music, as well as attending at least 5-6 "musical events" yearly (classical music concerts, opera, ballet, etc.) - which they get anyway because we still take them with us at this age, but we actively try to instill that as a life-long habit (just as theatres or art exhibitions). On the long run, I guess I want my children to receive basic music literacy, be able to read music, differentiate various forms of music, generally know what they're listening to and, hopefully, hear that reasonably well.

In the past we've invested in some voice lessons because they were interested in learning how to sing, we got them familiar with the instruments in various ways (once in Italy we sent them to the guy that took piano apart for a group of kids and showed them how exactly it works :D), made sure they knew they only had to ask and they could get music tutors and instrument lessons... but none of them showed much enthusiasm in that camp. Should we have "forced" it? We have relatives and friends that claim so, but we decided not to emphasize this particular area. As long as we fulfill the "societal expectations" with regards to the general knowledge and basic music literacy, I think we're good to go.

If they ever change their minds and decide to take up music seriously - we are willing to invest into their music educations, whatever instrument they choose, and they know it. :) The older kid has been mentioning that she wants to learn how to play a guitar, but she's not sure whether it's "serious enough" to ask yet. If she does, we'll be happy - if not, perfectly fine with us.

Absolutely!!!

2. We invested in a piano...we treat music just as we do math...it's essential..do we expect them to become master pianists? No, none of mine have shown that gift...but can they sit and play/read music, yes...do I teach them math so they'll be an Einstein? no, I teach them so they will be proficient not perfect.

My kids may complain about math, science, writing and even piano...but the fewest of the complaints come from piano...when you can play the theme song from Lord of the Rings...and it's your favorite movie, it's really amazing to see them get into it....just another facet of the love of learning I want to impart to my kids.

Tara

:iagree::iagree:

My oldest asked to take piano, so she takes piano. We got sooo lucky with the teacher. been at it for 4 years. No recitals or any of that cr*p.

My youngest wants to take guitar. sooo anyone know where to find a yamaha 3/4?? That is what a friend recommends we buy and she will do lessons for us. a lesson with both kids will run $30 for 30 minutes.

But I may just do the youngest and let her go at her pace and not 'compete' with the older.

Not sure yot if I will require the youngest to take piano. I think so for at least a year.

But I do consider it 'music' class for their transcripts.

Robin in NJ

All of our kids take music lessons... We don't require them, but we do think it's important to have the exposure. The right teachers and appropriate expectations...so important. We've never had tears over playing. (We have seen motivated children frustrate and challenge themselves, however. This comes from within--and as parent we do our best to support the needs of the young person as they gain expertise). I would not want a child to be feel only misery as they learned something that can bring joy.

Edited by LibraryLover

My kids have all taken instrument lessons since they were about 5yo. I've never presented it as an option, it just "is". I have told them if they wanted to quit, they'd have to choose a new instrument (one year one dd switched to cello because she was discouraged that her younger sister was moving faster. She's since happily moved back to piano).

They also sang in a chorus for 7 years - I sang with them. They couldn't quit because I was having too much fun. :tongue_smilie: The chorus has now dissolved - I'm going to continue with an adult chorus, but I'm not going to make them do any more singing unless they want to. I think the skills they learned there will last them, though.

My kids know that an instrument is part of their lives. DS began at 3 1/2 so he could work on his fine motor skills. Now, we're so invested, there's no quitting. He practices about 15 minutes a day, but it's amazing what can be accomplished in 15 minute intervals over 5 years.

So, until they're 18, they need to play an instrument.

Our area has a homeschool band program. I require my children to participate in both choir and band as soon as they are old enough. 7 for choir and 9 for band. It's part of their education, imo. I do put a high value on music. It's not just an ordinary hobby like ballet or soccer. But that is just my opinion. Out of 4 old enough to participate. I only have one who grumbles occasionally. Unfortunately for him, he's quite good when he puts his mind to it so I encourage him to put his mind to it. ;) He is old enough to go to solo festival this year and is looking forward to that.

My oldest is a music geek. My 3rd son seems to like it, or at least he wants to like it but Oh how he struggles. We'll just see how it all plays out. :001_smile:

And for what reason? And at what age?

Yes, we require ours to take an instrument. They all had to start on piano. Once they do piano for a year or so they can switch. Now we have a guitar player, a piano player and a clarinet player.

Why? Because we're the parents and we say so. It's part of school at our house. If they were still at the private school they started at, it would be the same thing. In 4th grade, you chose chorus or band. I don't know if you can switch after but that goes until 6th or 7th grade when you can also choose drama.

Age? Well the girls started as soon as they were home for school - 6th grade and 4th grade. Then ds started when he aged out of kindermusic classes.

I am requiring it of my children starting next week. They are seven and nine. I started my nine year old in piano at 5 and we stuck with it for a few months, maybe four or five. It was a struggle, she just didn't have the focus for it at all. Talking to piano teachers now, they agree that this is very young. And she is an active squirmy child who was much more interested in touching her teacher's knickknacks than learning anything. It was a matter of both my husband and I wishing we had studied music when we were younger and deciding to provide that for our children. We just decided to provide it too soon.

So we're starting back up again and we'll see what our experience with it is like this time around. If they absolutely hate it, I'm not willing to make our lives miserable over it, so I guess it's not an absolute requirement but it is something I want to strongly encourage. They both want to take violin actually, but I told them that if they show me they can practice piano diligently, we can talk about violin in a year or two.

I want them to enjoy music, to learn the self discipline of studying something every day, and the reward of working hard to learn something new.

Yes. My children will learn to play the piano, taught by me. Beyond that it is up to them if they want to learn another instrument.

Why? Because I think it's important to be able to read music.

My girls have been begging me to teach them to play the violin. But I won't until they learn the piano and have the ability to read music.

Yes, people learn all sorts of useful skills when they learn to play an instrument. It's a non-negotiable, like math, reading, swimming, learning to ride a bike, learning to drive, etc

:iagree:

Ours are required to take piano and will until they are 16. :001_smile: I think it teaches SO MUCH more than just a skill - it's diligence, practice, patience, thinking, tone, art. etc. And no, I am not a music person, I just think it's really, really important. I also have 2 kids who are very bright and most things come easy to them - so having something that's a little harder is good for them - a challenge - something to grow and work at.

While I'd love to see both of my boys play an instrument, the older one doesn't. We tried for years and quite a few different instruments. He would practice as instructed but he never LOVED it. It's just not his thing and no matter how much he works at it, it won't become his thing. So we moved on to something else. For him, it's art and photography that are important, so that's what we support.