Menu

anyone have a chore chart?

parias1126

We have having some discipline issues in my house with my 6 year old son. I really need to find a chore chart to get him on track. I am trying to put together some type of reward system along with this chore chart. Does anyone have a fabulous chore chart or ideas I can look at on your blog? If so, can you please link it? I joined abcteach last night hoping to find things such as this. I didn't find anything like what I am looking for so I am disapointed...starting to wonder if I am going to get my monies worth after only a few hours of being a member. :001_unsure:

Anyway, if you have a blog link (even if its not yours) with pictures of fabulous chore charts, I would love to see it! Or if you have a website that I can take a chart from, can you please link it?

Thanks! :)

I just made one for all my kids and for my dd5 and ds7, I used little pictures so they could "see" what they were to do. Mine is done in Publisher and is based on 3 times during each day (morning, after school and bedtime). I don't know how to link it here so if you email me I can send you a copy either as a pdf or the Publisher form. Our reward system is allowance and is based on "points". My kids have the opportunity to earn 4 points each day...1 each for morning routine, schoolwork, after school and bedtime. Each point is worth a specific denomination of money (for my 7yo it is 10 cents). We pay them every 2 weeks so they can earn 48 points every two weeks or for ds7...$4.80 plus any extra points he earns (extra chores or being extra helpful, extra good attitudes, etc.). The kids don't earn points on Sunday. We are rarely home anyway. Ds checks off each day on his chart. My older kids have charts with just words and places to check off each item. Dh and I determine whether or not to award the points each day based on attitude, completion and work ethic, etc. A bit complicated, but it is working so far. HTH.

I just made one for all my kids and for my dd5 and ds7, I used little pictures so they could "see" what they were to do. Mine is done in Publisher and is based on 3 times during each day (morning, after school and bedtime). I don't know how to link it here so if you email me I can send you a copy either as a pdf or the Publisher form. Our reward system is allowance and is based on "points". My kids have the opportunity to earn 4 points each day...1 each for morning routine, schoolwork, after school and bedtime. Each point is worth a specific denomination of money (for my 7yo it is 10 cents). We pay them every 2 weeks so they can earn 48 points every two weeks or for ds7...$4.80 plus any extra points he earns (extra chores or being extra helpful, extra good attitudes, etc.). The kids don't earn points on Sunday. We are rarely home anyway. Ds checks off each day on his chart. My older kids have charts with just words and places to check off each item. Dh and I determine whether or not to award the points each day based on attitude, completion and work ethic, etc. A bit complicated, but it is working so far. HTH.

This sounds like exactly what I am looking for. I would love to have one with pictures so the children can "see" what they have to do. This would be especially helpful for my 3 year old! PMing you now :)

I second this (Program suggested by krazzymommy).... We are using Accountable kids - I think since my daughter was 3 and she's now 6.5 - she loves it (we love it)......

Now I know you (parias1126) mentioned doing it on your own, you could improvise your own materials for the charts but I would recommend getting the Book - is worth the investment to understand the program and then adapt it to your own family....

Kate

Edited by shehmeth
typo

We have the P.E.G.S. system from Family Tools - and we really like it.

I spent hours searching and trying to come up with the right chore chart system for our 6 year old! I wanted to work on behavior issues as well as build accountability for chores.

It's a peg board, with little disks with pics of chores on the front. When the kiddos do their chores, they flip the disk over to see the stickers we put on the back.

But the best part is the "ABC" part at the bottom - Attitude, Behavior, Communication... When the kiddos do good things, we send them in to give themselves a bonus (green disk). When they have a bad attitude, etc - they get a penalty.

We have the bonuses tied to a privilege jar (also purchased through the same site). Picking a privilege is a lot of fun! It's been a good motivator.

I don't have a blog, but here's a review I found just by googling: http://tinyurl.com/32rum33

We use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Chore-Board-Helping-Around-House-Game/dp/0811863980#reader_0811863980

It's not really a game though... Basically you list (in dry erase marker) all the possible chores your kids could do. They write in the prize at the end. Then they have little magnetic characters (like "sweeping beauty") and they move one space each time they do a chore. There are a few interesting things along the way.

Presents when they complete it have included: a ten dollar bill, webkinz, new books, snorkel and mask, tiara. I let them choose the prize individually. It's simple enough to work well in our house -- we've been using it for a year now.

Chore charts have never worked for me. One thing that has really helped us stay on track with chores is having our kids work their chores into our daily routine. For example, DS2's daily chore is to set the table for dinner. So, when he sees me cooking, he sets the table. DS1 takes out the trash every night at bedtime. If we had a chart and chores were just something "that needed to get done whenever throughout the day" then they'd never get done because I'd forget to look at the chart and so would they.

With four kids, chores/housework seems endless. Starting from a young age we have had a chore chart that we made on Excel. Start by making a list of chores you think are age appropriate(or get ideas from others), then slot them into each day of the week you want chores done. If you have multiple kids, make sure they alternate days on specific chores so no one has to always be the sweeper or vacuumer. Every family will differ in what they think is appropriate chores for their kids. We have a rule of no TV, computer, wii, or visiting friends until chores are done. If a child has attitude problems about chores, lies about doing a chore, or other bad behavior pertaining to chores, they get to do more chores. Luckily we don't have to do that very often, but we usually try to make it as unpleasant as possible to get the point across that we all have to do things we don't like to do. We don't give allowances, we just expect them to do their part as part of the family. On occasion we pay them for other jobs around the house that are more uncommon like helping dad stack wood for the winter or tedious spring cleaning type tasks. I don't think I could keep up with a sticker or toy based award system, but I do make a point in giving them a lot of praise in a job well done.

Here is a chore chart generator that I have used from DLTK. I love the idea of pictures next to the chores especially for my little ones. This chart doesn't have that option but if you don't mind that it is super easy to use and turns out cute. I printed on cardstock and then put in a page protector (hmmm, maybe I do need a laminator ;)) so they can check off as they complete.

I was thinking of using the library pockets. Have the chores in one pocket and transfer them over when completed.

This is a really good idea.

Here is a chore chart generator that I have used from DLTK. I love the idea of pictures next to the chores especially for my little ones. This chart doesn't have that option but if you don't mind that it is super easy to use and turns out cute. I printed on cardstock and then put in a page protector (hmmm, maybe I do need a laminator ;)) so they can check off as they complete.

I have used this in the past with great success. And yes laminating makes it last a little longer. :lol:

• 10 months later...

We had a chore system that worked relatively well until he got busy in public school and we needed something more flexible and simpler.

It's a really easy set up, using manila folders and colored index cards:

I sat down one night and cut index cards into strips:

1247.jpg

Coral for his bedroom

Green for his bathroom

Yellow for other parts of the house

and Blue for once a week chores.

One strip for each day the chore needed to be done (ex. 6 coral cards that say "make bed" and one that says "strip bed")

And each chore has a corresponding index card with instructions kept in a box near the system:

1248.jpg

Each week we'd take all the cards and let him decide which day to do which chore while setting it up. The only rule was contradicting chores (make bed/strip bed) couldn't be on the same day and no doubling up (make bed/make bed).

1246.jpg

And we went over a contract with his stipulations and mine, the two biggest being the time I could expect them done and No Nagging before that time. :lol:

Every day we had it easy. He'd do them, I'd check at our agreed upon time and either take the cards from the 'done' section or hand them back to him and tell him 'your chores are not done'. No dialog, no arguing, no getting into it with him. He had the index cards available to tell him the standards we expected, we spent time at the beginning going over each chore, teaching it and then watching him do it until he got it. It's a no-excuses household here.

Unfortunately him going to public school threw a wrench into the system because there were some days he wasn't home until 8pm due to activities. We tried the Flylady student control journal and had less than successful results. Now we're looking at Accountable Kids but if that doesn't fit us I think we'll go back to the index card system.

This might not help unless you digital scrapbook, but I have this one on my blog to download and decorate, but you could also get an idea from it.

Somewhat Muddled Musings Chore Chart

I loved your idea for this! I hope you don't mind, I made my own table and saved it in PDF format so others could download it and fill it in as they need.

Feel free to browse my printables on my blog and see if I've created anything you can use. :001_smile:

http://ourlearningjourneyhomeschooling.blogspot.com/2011/07/chore-chart-grid.html

I'm sick and tired of doing it all around here. I've decided the kids need to help more. So I've been combing several threads about chores and systems. I think I'm coming around to an idea. I think as part of our morning meeting (which starts during breakfast), I will hand out cards with chores on them. When I tell them "it's chore time," they can get their cards and get to work. I might put a sunshine on the ones that need to be done in the morning and something else for afternoon chores. At 4 everyone stops what they're doing and does a genera pick up, that will not change. I'll try to remember to come back and update after we've done this for a while, but I think it will work. It will let them know what they're responsible for, but not tie me to specific times or rewards.

I like the looks of Accountable Kids, but with 4 kids, I can't afford it. I found this: http://confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com/2011/01/chore-chart-cards.html

and plan on using it with my crew.

I was the one who started this thread last year. Looks like this post is from January 12th of this year. I wish I would have had something like this last year. I will be using this in the Fall. It looks wonderful!

I use goalforit! website. It is free. You can assign chores, behaviors, or anything else you want. They get moolas for doing chores. When they have earned enough moolas they can turn them in. You set your own rewards so they can be what every you want. When they turn in their moolas they can print off a certificate saying good job this is what you have earned.

You can print off the charts they look good in color and in black and white. You can change the banner at the top and the virtual stickers that get put on their charts.

I have a printed copy to remind them what they need to do and then I log in the chores they have done.

I love this one: http://www.somewhatsimple.com/2010/05/magnetic-chore-chart-with-not-so-idle-hands.html

It's a chore board that is magnetic. She made glass tiles of each chore and the kid moves it from the "To do" side to the "done" side. If your crafty, you might like it. :D

This is a great idea! I really like it! Unfortunately, I'll just have to sit back in awe... because it's a bit too crafty for me to ever get around to actually creating myself.

I came across a few simple chore charts after a quick online search, but ended up making our own version using Microsoft Excel. I laminated it so that my little man can check off his completed tasks with a wet erase marker.

This is a great idea! I really like it! Unfortunately, I'll just have to sit back in awe... because it's a bit too crafty for me to ever get around to actually creating myself.

I came across a few simple chore charts after a quick online search, but ended up making our own version using Microsoft Excel. I laminated it so that my little man can check off his completed tasks with a wet erase marker.

I love the magnetic idea too! We have been using dtlk laminated sheets. I just PM'd you - I LOVE your setup. Very cute and simple :)