Menu

A HUUUUGE thank you to Jann in TX!!!!!!!!

Hi, newbie to the hs board!! Been on K-8 for about 8 years though :) I'm starting to look into pre-alg/algebra stuff even though we're well over a year away (I want to start working through them myself.) I was able to pretty much figure out a TON just by reading Jann's posts about all the different curric for this-every time I did a search with a question, and my questions were pretty specific, there she was with the answer!! :)

Bottom line, I was able to easily narrow it all down to what sounded like it would fit our needs (prbly Lial's or Foerster), just based on the detailed posts, and ordered used copies of Lial's BCM, Intro Alg, and Foerster's Alg 1 to take a look at. I was able to find editions and even ISBN #s on Jann's great posts!!!

I now feel confident that I am started down the path to finding what's right for us.

THANK YOU, Jann, for being so generous with sharing your knowledge!

Edited by HappyGrace

I need to go read all of her posts...I'm plodding through with my son, but need to look at all of them...my son is very good at math, figures it out quickly...and HATES books with color in them...seems like all the upper math texts have loads of color on the pages, that's why we went with Life of Fred, but LOF just did not give enough practice problems so we're combining that with Saxon Algebra, and I don't like SA...ugh...

I may try Ask Dr. Callahan, has Jann said anything about their videos? I think they do use Jacob's or Foresters'...

I would lOVE it if someone could take those books and make a picture (jpg) of a sample page from each and just have them in one thread....would love to just 'see' them! :)

Tara

...my son is very good at math, figures it out quickly...and HATES books with color in them...seems like all the upper math texts have loads of color on the pages, that's why we went with Life of Fred, but LOF just did not give enough practice problems so we're combining that with Saxon Algebra, and I don't like SA...ugh...

It sounds like Foerster's would be perfect for your son. It's mostly black & white with a few items (like key points, lines between sections) in light blue (the only other color), and lots of white space. The explanations are very clear and explicit, with lots of great word problems, and a super clean, simple layout. Tons of practice problems if you need them (I think most people just do the odd #s). It's cheap to buy 2nd hand, and you can get a complete solutions manual for it. I never imagined I could love a math textbook, but when I saw Foerster's it was :001_wub:

Math Without Borders has DVDs for both Foerster's I & II. There is a review of both the Foerster's text and the MWB dvds here.

Jackie

It sounds like Foerster's would be perfect for your son. It's mostly black & white with a few items (like key points, lines between sections) in light blue (the only other color), and lots of white space. The explanations are very clear and explicit, with lots of great word problems, and a super clean, simple layout. Tons of practice problems if you need them (I think most people just do the odd #s). It's cheap to buy 2nd hand, and you can get a complete solutions manual for it. I never imagined I could love a math textbook, but when I saw Foerster's it was :001_wub:

Math Without Borders has DVDs for both Foerster's I & II. There is a review of both the Foerster's text and the MWB dvds here.

Jackie

Thank you so much! Just what I needed! Checking it out now!!

Tara

Jann has been great for our home schooling journey also. My son took algebra 1 with Jann last year and proclaimed for the first time that he liked math. Of course, he asked to take Jann again this year for geometry. We were glad to oblige him. :-)

I'm happy to share what I have learned/observed and I hope that it helps make someone's homeschooling journey a bit easier.

Oh, but it's more than just making the hsing journey easier on Mom. You've encouraged me and given me the confidence to choose a math program that I believe will work. Your scheduling suggestions have allowed me to jump right in, instead of wading through several chapters to see what works. I no longer worry about the upcoming school year.

We're only two chapters into Intro Alg, but both my dd and I see her finally "getting it." My daughter's confidence is blooming, and she's no longer dreading SATs and thinking she'll never get into a 4-year college without a decent math score.

THANK YOU, Jann!