Menu

Dynamic Literacy....swoon!!!!!!!!!!

Halcyon

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many total roots, prefixes, and suffixes does this program teach?

I think the ToC of each book lists out the affixes or roots that are covered.

If I count "topics" in the ToCs, I come up with 65 for Foundations, and 97 for Elements. However, I didn't count that carefully, and it was hard to tell if there are repeats, especially across Foundations and Elements. It also seemed like some of the topics in Foundations were more about combining affixes and spelling versus actually teaching new affixes.

So that gives me a wild guess of more than a hundred, but less than 162roots and affixes????

(I'm trying to compare with MCT.)

Kuovonne, if you can look at the DL samples (and since you may already have the MCT Building Lang book) how would you compare these two?

I haven't looked at the higher level MCT vocab books yet (only seen the sample of Building Lang), but I do plan to get them for dd later, so your thoughts would be helpful to me (and I am sure, to others reading this thread.)

From my impression of MCT's books, he discusses language, rather than teach through exercises. I don't know if MCT has the kind of exercises (word find and what not) that I saw in the DL Foundations 1 sample. So, at first glance, it appears that both set of vocab books approach the teaching of vocab in different ways. And I would think, that in that sense, they are not really comparable. Am I right?

Based on my imperssions, what I have (tentatively) decided is to do the DL Foundations (1 and 2) books upto third or fourth grade and then move on to MCT Caeser's English in fourth or fifth grade.

WWYD? :bigear:

So that gives me a wild guess of more than a hundred, but less than 162roots and affixes????

BTW, is there any info available on which roots (stems?) are covered in each of the MCT books?

TIA

I'm starting to wonder about this for self study. My vocabulary is atrocious.

Rosie,

For self-study, you would be better off with a book or free word list off the net. Surely you are not going to fill a series of worksheets to learn your words! :001_smile: Some suggestions:

1. The Greek and Latin Roots of English by Tamara Green

2. Derivation of words, with exercises on prefixes, suffixes, and stems by Mary Frances Hyde

3. A Selection of Latin Roots and Greek Roots

4. LearnThat.org Roots & Prefix Reference and Suffix Reference

HTH

Surely you are not going to fill a series of worksheets to learn your words! :001_smile:

It is possible. I'm working through Analytical Grammar because reading definitions of grammatical terms online didn't help a jot. Thank you for the links, though, I shall have a look.

Hi Kuovonne - the 5 years directly teaches 75 affixes and 93 roots, plus lot of affix combinations (un + able) as well as units on doubling with -ing and -ed, dropped 'e' with -ing and -ed, change -y to -i with a bunch of different combinations. The game includes another 117 roots and hundred affixes, plus 18,000 words.

Rosie

Now THIS I would do--if I felt the need. It does look like the most sensible vocabulary program I've seen in a while.

That said, I would not buy it for early elementary. This is not (ideally) how small children build their vocabulary. They benefit far more from hearing a greater variety of words used by the adults in their lives (both in conversation and in reading aloud) than some program.

Oh, and if your posts here are any indication, your vocabulary is not atrocious. :001_smile:

Rosie

:lol: Not laughing at you, but because I said the same thing to my dh last night when I used the wrong term for prefix. (Don't even ask.)

When I read (when I have time....what is that again:confused:), I find I generally pick up on the tone of the author and start incorporating words. Sadly, though, the latest books I've read are The Twilight series....not huge vocabulary builders. :tongue_smilie:

Hi Kuovonne - the 5 years directly teaches 75 affixes and 93 roots, plus lot of affix combinations (un + able) as well as units on doubling with -ing and -ed, dropped 'e' with -ing and -ed, change -y to -i with a bunch of different combinations. The game includes another 117 roots and hundred affixes, plus 18,000 words.

Blah Jerry!!! I just about had myself talked out of this until next year, or midyear at the earliest. I keep forgetting about that darn game! :lol: I don't allow much computer time for the kiddos ('cause I'm always on here) and I think DS would love it. Grrrrrrr.....;):D

That said, I would not buy it for early elementary. This is not (ideally) how small children build their vocabulary. They benefit far more from hearing a greater variety of words used by the adults in their lives (both in conversation and in reading aloud) than some program.

Oh, and if your posts here are any indication, your vocabulary is not atrocious. :001_smile:

:iagree: (on both counts!:D)

I don't think I will buy the program - we already use Vocabulary from the Classical Roots. It does give me the idea to make a "grid" and have my 12yo make his own words from prefixes/roots/suffixes with the definitions, though.

Kuovonne, if you can look at the DL samples (and since you may already have the MCT Building Lang book) how would you compare these two?

I'll give it a try. Although I have Building Language, I've only seen samples of the others books: DL Elements, DL Foundations, MCT's Ceasar's English I and II. You can see samples and descriptions of MCT's vocab books here.

Comparing just DL Foundations vs. MCT Building Language, I like Building Language better. DL Foundations has too much spelling info for my taste, and I think kids who are well read already have an intuitive understanding of many of the affixes presented.

From my impression of MCT's books, he discusses language, rather than teach through exercises.

I'd say that MCT teaches through discussion.

I don't know if MCT has the kind of exercises (word find and what not) that I saw in the DL Foundations 1 sample.

MCT does not have the type of exercises that DL uses.

So, at first glance, it appears that both set of vocab books approach the teaching of vocab in different ways. And I would think, that in that sense, they are not really comparable. Am I right?

You're right. Although both programs use the same concept (roots/affixes/stems) to teach vocabulary, DL and MCT go about it in totally different ways. (It's like comparing Math-U-See with Miquon.)

DL seems to emphasize combining roots/affixes to get lots of different words.

MCT seems to emphasize using words in sentences and subtleties of meaning. Ceaser's English illustrates vocabulary words with lots of quotes from literature.

Based on my imperssions, what I have (tentatively) decided is to do the DL Foundations (1 and 2) books upto third or fourth grade and then move on to MCT Caeser's English in fourth or fifth grade.

WWYD? :bigear:

I plan on using Building Language, since I already own it and I think that DD will really like it. I see it as a fun introduction to the concept of roots/stems, rather than serious vocabulary study.

After Building Language, I'll probably move on to Ceaser's English. It is cheaper than DL, and it looks like it has more stems. Ceaser's English also seems to get great reviews, even by people who would rather skip Building Language. I'll also put all the stems into Anki, our memory work system, to make review trivial.

Slightly related, I'm hoping that next month DD will ask me why September is the ninth month. That's a mini-history/vocab lesson in itself.

Edited by Kuovonne

:hurray: Thank you for this info! It is exactly what I was wondering about.

Could you give more info about the WordBuild game? I couldn't find a detailed discription or any screen shots on your web site. Have you tested it with Windows 7?

Edited by Kuovonne

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! My ds (10th grade) has been requesting a program exactly like this but (until now) I've been unable to find one. Since we can start with Elements it's a perfect fit as he has 3 years left in high school! It also looks like it will be great to use with my littles when they are done with AAS:001_smile: And thank you SO MUCH for the code; it allowed me to purchase the set!!

Not finding it right now, but darn it all I did have it up on my screen a few hours ago, now I've lost it....:confused:

ETA: Found it! DHS1005

I was going to order it with the coupon....it doesn't validate. I also don't belong to the mag, so that might be it??

You guys are killing me!
:iagree:

It is possible. I'm working through Analytical Grammar because reading definitions of grammatical terms online didn't help a jot. Thank you for the links, though, I shall have a look.
:iagree:I would prefer doing this.

Now THIS I would do--if I felt the need. It does look like the most sensible vocabulary program I've seen in a while.

I am wondering if this program is still good in higher grades, as I see starting it before 5th to be quite impossible.

:iagree: (on both counts!:D)

I don't think I will buy the program - we already use Vocabulary from the Classical Roots. It does give me the idea to make a "grid" and have my 12yo make his own words from prefixes/roots/suffixes with the definitions, though.

The idea of this program does look good, but I am thinking that The Phonics Road and Latin Road probably have this covered for us. I was thinking that surely their are programs teaching prefixes and suffixes, how they change meaning, etc. We are learning the spelling rules for them in PR 1 right now, so I would imagine we will get to the meaning in a later level. I am checking.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I was going to order it with the coupon....it doesn't validate. I also don't belong to the mag, so that might be it??

I just ordered using it and don't belong to the mag. The first time I tried it didn't go through so I backed up and tried again and it worked. It was in bold in the post I copied it from, maybe that made it not work the first time? Anyway, try again and see if it works.

I just ordered using it and don't belong to the mag. The first time I tried it didn't go through so I backed up and tried again and it worked. It was in bold in the post I copied it from, maybe that made it not work the first time? Anyway, try again and see if it works.

Yes...maybe that was the problem....I also copied it from the post in bold. The next time I just typed it in. Thanks for helping:001_smile:

We will be doing CE II this year, but as it's only 20 weeks, I think we will add in DL as well. DD is going into grade 6, should she start on Elements 1?

If you're doing CEII, why not just move into Word within the Word when done? It is very much based on roots/prefixes/suffixes and how you can use them to decode meanings of new words you haven't specifically learned. It teaches a rather overwhelming 25 roots a week (but it's meant for middle/high school, not elementary).

I've decided to do WWW (and ML) over two years to ease us in. :tongue_smilie: Then the pace won't be much faster than CEI or II.

Edited by matroyshka

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Yes...maybe that was the problem....I also copied it from the post in bold. The next time I just typed it in. Thanks for helping:001_smile:

I'm always happy to enable;):lol: I can't wait to get it!!! I'll be using it with my 9th and 10th graders, and eventually with my littles (toddler, pre-K and 1st). I still can't believe I found exactly what my ds was requesting:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

Could you give more info about the WordBuild game? I couldn't find a detailed discription or any screen shots on your web site. Have you tested it with Windows 7?

The game asks the player (you can have 99) to select a root, then it presents all the prefixes, suffixes, and other roots that will work with that root. There is background music (17 choices), and lots of audio feedback. Players string together one spelling of the root (some have as many as 6!) with combinations of prefixes and suffixes to try to build words. The screen shows the meaning of each price as it is selected. When the player thinks she has a word, she hits "Check It" and the system validates the word, provides assorted audio "atta-girls" and adds it to a running list. If it isn't a word, it makes some funny comments.

You can turn on a timer to play competitively for high score by root, or leave the timer off and play as long as you like. Either way, you can print a list of your words when you're done, and they are saved to be added to next time you play that root - unless the timer is on, in which case you always start with a blank slate and have 3 minutes to build words.

Most people find it addictive. This comes straight from the Elements 1 Teache Edition for the root DIC - The word ADDICTED was originally a positive term meaning “to have declared oneself in favor of a belief, deity, or topic.â€

oops..........forgot to tell you, we've had no reports of any issues with Windows 7

The game asks the player (you can have 99) to select a root, then it presents all the prefixes, suffixes, and other roots that will work with that root. There is background music (17 choices), and lots of audio feedback. Players string together one spelling of the root (some have as many as 6!) with combinations of prefixes and suffixes to try to build words. The screen shows the meaning of each price as it is selected. When the player thinks she has a word, she hits "Check It" and the system validates the word, provides assorted audio "atta-girls" and adds it to a running list. If it isn't a word, it makes some funny comments.

You can turn on a timer to play competitively for high score by root, or leave the timer off and play as long as you like. Either way, you can print a list of your words when you're done, and they are saved to be added to next time you play that root - unless the timer is on, in which case you always start with a blank slate and have 3 minutes to build words.

Most people find it addictive. This comes straight from the Elements 1 Teache Edition for the root DIC - The word ADDICTED was originally a positive term meaning “to have declared oneself in favor of a belief, deity, or topic.â€

That sounds great.....does it work on Windows 7? I ordered it - I have a Mac and also another computer that runs XP - so no biggie for me if it doesn't...actually it will help keep them OFF my computer, LOL. :tongue_smilie: But mine is where we do school...so that would keep things a bit more centrally located for me if it does and I'll just have to beat them off it with a stick :D

After Building Language, I'll probably move on to Ceaser's English. It is cheaper than DL, and it looks like it has more stems. Ceaser's English also seems to get great reviews, even by people who would rather skip Building Language. I'll also put all the stems into Anki, our memory work system, to make review trivial.

I have CE I and II, and I would say that the vocab in CE I is already at a higher level than the vocab in DL Elements III (the highest level of DL). I also have several other roots programs, including Vocab from Classical Roots and Vocabulary from Latin and Greek Roots, and I would say that the lowest levels of those programs are equivalent to the highest levels in DL. Looking at the ToC for DL Elements III (recommended for high school), I would have to say that my 6th grader already knows all those words, and my 2nd grader knows a lot of them. Interrupt, grieve, recycle, postpone?

CE I (grade 4 & up) has words like traverse, equidistant, manifest, superfluous, sagacity, anarchy. Yes these words are taught as stems/prefixes/suffixes, not just lists of words to memorize, and they're discussed in context, with discussions of literature, quotes from Ovid, etc. The TM (which is all you need) is $20, compared with $79 for DL. For someone who wants a more scheduled/workbook-based vocab program, VfCR and VfL&GR also include more advanced words than DL, and are also much cheaper.

As a spelling program, starting with a K'er or 1st grader, I'd think DL was great (although still quite expensive), but if the point of a vocab program is to expand a child's vocabulary, then I don't really see the point. :confused:

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

I am wondering if this program is still good in higher grades, as I see starting it before 5th to be quite impossible.

Foundations seems to be intended for grades 3 and up, Elements for grades 5-10. I see Foundations as optional (Jerry stated that student can go right into Elements as it does not assume they've used Foundations), so starting @ grade 5/6 with Elements should work well. If I were to use it at all, my goal would be to cover 2 levels before grade 8 or 9.

ETA: I have a college student (not yet a licensed driver), a high schooler, a 5th and 2nd grader this year, so keep in mind I'm very much in hacking mode right now--especially unnecessarily teacher intensive programs . I have ordered Vocabulary from Classical Roots and am feeling good about that choice.

Edited by darlasowders

:lol: Wish there was a smilie that had hands over the ears instead

of this guy. :bigear:

I'm doing pretty well today convincing myself that this looks great, but would look even sweeter NEXT YEAR!!! ;)

ROFLOL at "Resistance is futile."

ITA, Earth Angel, that smilie would come in handy a lot! In the meantime, here ya go:

photo removed 9-13-14

I am sure if you email Jerry he will help you. I actually have been emailing him and getting help because I ordered the Foundations and it has been bugging me because my kids are older and I just knew I should have ordered Elements. He let me return the Foundations and will be sending me the Elements. He was very helpful.

I am really excited to start. Today is our first day back to school and I am bummed we don't have DL to get started but I am so glad I am getting the right level. It's gonna be so fun! My kids will be brilliant!:D

Can you tell me if you start with a second grader, how many books can you expect to cover a year. Presumably we'd start with foundations 1 so would we complete the student book 1 in grade 2 and the student book 2 in grade 3 etc?

Stephanie

On average, I'd say you'd cover 1 level a year. Foundations 1 has 2 student books, but they are used in 1 year (the first is a small color workbook that introduces the idea of playing with words).