Menu

Is there something soy sauce - ish

My thought would be to check the Thai Kitchen brand of sauces... but I can't imagine subbing fish sauce for soy sauce (though I love fish sauce in pad thai and cashew chicken! yum!). I use Rice Wine Vinegar in some rice dishes for good flavor, and there are good chili sauces if you like spicy stuff.

What kind of Asian food is it that you have to have? That might help in recommending sauces.

My thought would be to check the Thai Kitchen brand of sauces... but I can't imagine subbing fish sauce for soy sauce (though I love fish sauce in pad thai and cashew chicken! yum!). I use Rice Wine Vinegar in some rice dishes for good flavor, and there are good chili sauces if you like spicy stuff.

What kind of Asian food is it that you have to have? That might help in recommending sauces.

Japanese food - esp. stir-fries with a sauce. or marinated chicken.

Filipino food - like chicken adobo

I don't know about subbing for soy sauce, but other flavors that taste like Asia to me...

ginger

MSG

fish sauce

toasted sesame oil

garlic

Seriously, my favorite Chinese condiment is the ginger and green onion stuff they serve with the homemade dumplings at my favorite hole in the wall - and it's my favorite because it reminds me of when I lived in China.

Has he ever tried soy sauce? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I just once read that soy sauce because it is fermented is not quite like soy in other forms. (No, I don't believe everything I read...lol).

This is a fairly new allergy. We had been eating a lot of soy - mostly in the form of soy sauce. We went totally off of it for a month and when he had it again in the form of soy sauce in a marinade, he reacted noticeably.:crying:

. . . that does not have soy in it? Dh is allergic to soy but we *need* to eat Asian food.

Worchester

Wasabi

Rice wine vinegar

For Asian food that doesn't have to have soy, what about sushi or curry.

I found a page with soy allergen substitutions that includes a link for a chickpea based miso.

"Other options to try that will impart a unique flavor with a salty component are olive brine, umeboshi vinegar (also called ume plum vinegar) or balsamic vinegar plus a fair amount of salt."

Dd15 is allergic to soy. We use the ume plum vinegar or Worcestershire sauce (caution: some brands contain soy!), depending on the recipe, as a soy sauce substitute. I find the ume plum vinegar at our local natural foods co-op place but you might find it at a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

Okay, I'm not up on my Japanese food, but I do like to use soy sauce in stuff (and on top of my take out lo mein and broccoli w/garlic sauce). I looked at the ingredients in the little package at the Chinese food joint, and would you believe there was no soy at all in it? HFCS, salt, and a bunch of other stuff I didn't recognize. (We use organic tamari, and do not touch that stuff.) But, would you be able to make a broth (either chicken or beef) concoction with salt, rice vinegar, maybe a little sugar, and a few drops of Worcestershire? I *think* you could possibly mimic the salty flavor like that. Maybe you'd need to add some other things I'm not familiar with (like fish sauce or something) to get the flavor to be acceptable.

Eternalknot posted a similar recipe to this one:

Like her recipe, I would a bit of beef bouillion paste to the sauce recipe below. The *organic* versions of "Better than Bouillon" are gluten-, dairy- and MSG-free. It appears to be soy-free, too, but I'd call the company to be sure.

Ingredients

8 fl.oz Molasses

3 fl.oz. Balsamic Vinegar

Sugar to taste

Instructions

1. Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until well blended.

Maggi. YOu can probably find it in your international food section, in either the Asian section, or (surprisingly) the Dutch. It tastes quite a bit like soy sauce, but a bit stronger IMHO. Here's a photo and the ingredients list - yikes, it reads a bit like a chemical soup. I always thought becasue everyone since my Oma had used it, it would be "old-school"..... guess not.

I'm usually a lurker here, but we have soy allergies in our family too (and my husband is asian!). It has been hard.

I was in WholeFoods recently, and found a coconut based product that claimed to be a soy sauce substitute. IT TASTES JUST LIKE SOY SAUCE!

The product was called Raw Coconut Aminos, and here is the product's website: http://www.coconutsecret.com/products2.html

The stuff isn't cheap, so we just buy it once in awhile for a treat. Two of my children were able to have teryaki chicken for the first time. We are so happy, lol!

Sarah

My friend has soy allergies, so I asked him. He emailed me this link:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/soy-sauce-substitute/Detail.aspx

He says it's the closest convincible substitute he's found.

Eternalknot posted a similar recipe to this one:

Like her recipe, I would a bit of beef bouillion paste to the sauce recipe below. The *organic* versions of "Better than Bouillon" are gluten-, dairy- and MSG-free. It appears to be soy-free, too, but I'd call the company to be sure.

Ingredients

8 fl.oz Molasses

3 fl.oz. Balsamic Vinegar

Sugar to taste

Instructions

1. Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until well blended.

I'm usually a lurker here, but we have soy allergies in our family too (and my husband is asian!). It has been hard.

I was in WholeFoods recently, and found a coconut based product that claimed to be a soy sauce substitute. IT TASTES JUST LIKE SOY SAUCE!

The product was called Raw Coconut Aminos, and here is the product's website: http://www.coconutsecret.com/products2.html

The stuff isn't cheap, so we just buy it once in awhile for a treat. Two of my children were able to have teryaki chicken for the first time. We are so happy, lol!

Sarah

OK - here's my plan. Hit Wholefoods first and get the Raw Coconut Aminos to try. Then try these recipes too. Thanks everyone.

Marmite. If you thinned it with water then it might not be far off the taste of soy. You might not agree though. My bottle doesn't seem to contain soy - it's mostly yeast extract and salt.

Laura

:iagree:

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I think Marmite thinned with water would be a very fine substitute for soy sauce.

Bill

Hmmm. I wonder where I would find it in the Pacific northwest. It might be rampant around here. . . I've just never looked for it before!

Jean, there is a store in Gillman Village called Anglophilia (or something close to that). All things British are sold there--I think I remember seeing Marmite on the shelves. Now I'm hankering for adobo!

Jean, there is a store in Gillman Village called Anglophilia (or something close to that). All things British are sold there--I think I remember seeing Marmite on the shelves. Now I'm hankering for adobo!

Thanks Natalieclare. Once I'm totally better, I'll have to invite your family over for some adobo. Except that I'm not sure I'd want to experiment on alternate soy products for guests.:tongue_smilie: I could make one pot of "real" adobo for most of us and a small pot of the "fake" stuff for my dh.