Menu

Wedding cake blues...literally

I'm leaving today to visit my sister in Oklahoma. Her oldest dd (who was homeschooled until her Sr year) is getting married on Saturday. By family tradition, I am making her wedding cake.

The bride has had my mother's wedding dress re-done (50 years after my mother wore it). It is off white and will have a dark TEAL sash. The bridesmaids will have lighter 'teal-ish' dresses.

The wedding cake will be similar to this one

My 'blue' problems is with the fondant ribbon on the cake, the blue hydrangeas that will top and border the cake, the dark teal sash on the wedding dress (more green than the hydrangeas) and the lighter teal (blue-green) of the wedding party.

Also-- the grooms tie will match the brides sash. Bride will carry a bouqet of pink hydgrangeas, HOT-PINK gerber daisies and possibly blue hydrangeas too... the groomsmen will have PURPLE cumber-buns!

What should I match?!!! Should I go with a blue to complement the TONS of hydrangeas around/on the cake or should I match the wedding party?

DH thinks that I'm being crazy--obsessing about a color--when I should be obsessing over the near-perfect fondant work I'll have to do because the cake is so simple!

I'll be baking the cakes Wednesday, filling and crumb coating Thursday, putting fondant on Friday and stacking/trimming Saturday morning... so I have plenty of time yet to obsess!

(I've also heard the florist has had 'fun' working with the color/flower choices too!)

The wedding cake will be similar to this one

What should I match?!!! Should I go with a blue to complement the TONS of hydrangeas around/on the cake or should I match the wedding party?

I would do what I have highlighted in red -- the picture of the cake is gorgeous - one of the things that makes it gorgeous is the simplicity and contrast of the white and blue. You will lose that aspect if you begin pulling in different colors - you will lost the contrast. (what color are the tablecloths? -- if white, I would definitely copy the color in the photo)

(I've also heard the florist has had 'fun' working with the color/flower choices too!)

And maybe one of the reasons you are obsessing is because you are not crunched for time, kwim? If I have the luxury of time, I can sit and toss ideas around ad infinitum. Once the time crunch is on, though, I make a decision.

Please post photos of everything! Have fun!:)

...I'm sorry. :grouphug:

What about layering the ribbon so that you can have two colors incorporated at the same time? I'm not sure how to describe what I mean...:confused:

Julie, do you mean a ribbon in one color (the dominant color--- maybe the bride's sash) with a thinner ribbon of the secondary color laying on top (the entire length of the primary one) in the other color? That's how I imagined what you wrote. I think that would be quite pretty.

Jann, if you want to incorporate the purple the groomsmen are wearing, maybe you could do so with little purple pearls along the edges of the hot pink 'upper' layer of ribbon (as Julie suggested)? It is definitely an interesting color combination! At the very least, I would try to match the bride's sash and be happy with that. As others posted, she'll have her photo with the cake, so that would look nice. Is there a groom's cake? Can that be tailored to the entire wedding party's colors (and the purple the groomsmen will wear?).

That cake is stunning. Simple and elegant. I, too, would love to see photos of the finished product!

Normally I'd go with matching what's on the table with the cake - the bridesmaids' colors rarely factor into the choice since they don't hover around the cake table. But the photo you linked showed a ribbon that's darker than the flowers and I think that's a stunning choice. Making it match the accent color the bride and groom are wearing might look really nice. Perhaps make the fondant asap and let it sit a day to settle into the real color, and then see if it needs to be lightened to blend or look nice.

Last weekend I made 200 cupcakes for a wedding- half were iced in lilac and half in royal blue. Seriously, WHO ate the cupcakes iced in royal blue? Their teeth would be blue and it's just....ick. Just because a color is beautiful in a bridesmaid dress doesn't mean you have to serve FOOD in that color. But I did what the bride asked...

Julie, do you mean a ribbon in one color (the dominant color--- maybe the bride's sash) with a thinner ribbon of the secondary color laying on top (the entire length of the primary one) in the other color? That's how I imagined what you wrote. I think that would be quite pretty.

:D Yeah, that's what I meant to say! :D

I do have a back up plan with a REAL ribbon...

The temp outside will be in the 100-105 range... I'm not sure if the air conditioning in the TINY little church will be able to handle it enough for me to roll out a 50+ in ribbon of fondant and actually get it onto the cake without it melting/stretching too much...

I'll practice and then be perfectly HAPPY to give up...

BUT still ... I have multiple ribbon color choices!!!

I'm also considering asking the florist to tint the hydrangeas a tiny bit teal...

UGG!

What does the bride want? If she is just leaving it up to you, I think I would match the sash and bridemaids' dresses. I hope you will post pics when you get it done!!

:iagree:

Don't worry about the groomsmen's cumberbunds. I would also assume the bouquet may just be flowers she just likes, not necessarily something she thinks *matches*. That just leaves you with the blues. :D

Do you know which teal she is using?

Some people call blue-green teal, some call green-blue teal. They are two very different colors. The ribbon on the cake is almost the same as blue-green.

In this color chart there is teal on the right side, but in the middle there is Jade. I have seen a color very close to Jade being called teal too.

I was in a wedding in the 80's in which I was told the colors were 'teal and purple'. I was imagining the bluer-teal. I was very, very surprised to find out it was a very green-teal. I was her MOH and was helping her make decorating and caterer decisions based on the wrong color...lol.

I would rather not advise on color choices. It's such an individual thing - but OMG, you are going to bake & decorate THIS cake?

I have to agree with your dh - I'd be having sleepless nights already. In fact, I'd be starting already because it would take me days to smooth out the frosting.

:001_smile:

...I'm sorry. :grouphug:

What about layering the ribbon so that you can have two colors incorporated at the same time? I'm not sure how to describe what I mean...:confused:

I like that idea. If you cant do that, then I would just match the hydgrangeas around the cake as best as you can.

I do have a back up plan with a REAL ribbon...

The temp outside will be in the 100-105 range... I'm not sure if the air conditioning in the TINY little church will be able to handle it enough for me to roll out a 50+ in ribbon of fondant and actually get it onto the cake without it melting/stretching too much...

I'll practice and then be perfectly HAPPY to give up...

BUT still ... I have multiple ribbon color choices!!!

I'm also considering asking the florist to tint the hydrangeas a tiny bit teal...

UGG!

You probably know this, but I will mention it just in case. Some ribbon can bleed if it gets wet. You will want to make sure the fondant doesn't wick color from the ribbon.