Menu

planned c-section.....what do I need to know?

I'm 40 wks 5 days pregnant and unless I go into labor in the next 51 hours, I'll be having a c-section. My first was an emergency c-section because of fetal distress and I found that I was mentally unprepared for it. I didn't realize that I woudn't be able to care for my baby for the first 48 or so hours and I felt like a dismal failure as a mother when my son hadn't even been here for 2 days. I think I've come to terms with that- even though my husband will do the first 50 diaper changes, the ratio will quickly even out and it will be okay. My physical recovery was horrible last time, but I have no idea if that was "normal" or not? Apparently, the farther past my due date I get, the more likely it is for my uterus to rupture? That has me freaked out too, because I am NOT done having kids. So, even though I've been hoping and praying that I would deliver 'normally', now I'm kindof hoping I don't go into labor because I'm terrified of that happening. The doc thinks it's very unlikely that I will go into labor because my cervix hasn't moved or softened at all. Anyway, the first c-section was kindof a blur and I'd really like any advice on being prepared for this- physically and emotionally. Thanks.

:grouphug:

Take it easy on yourself. My little girl (1st baby) is 6 weeks old today and I had her through an emergency c-section after having a full labor.

Don't focus on what you can't do for your baby, focus on what you can do and enjoy the time. I was able to breastfeed, although it wasn't easy. I also was able to cuddle with my little girl.

I watched my wonderful dh care for all of her other needs. This bonding between daughter and father was a real blessing to watch.

Focus on the good things and it will be all right.

How sure of your dates is your doc? I mean, do you know when you got pregnant, or are they just going off of that little "dial a pregnancy" thing?

By that dial thing, I delivered on my due date. By when I actually got pregnant (I knew the date - it was the only day DS was in town), I delivered a full two weeks late.

I wasn't "soft" or anything until I was two weeks "late". And when kid came out, he was obviously overdue - long fingernails, dry, the whole bit.

Just a thought (hope it calms you a bit :confused: )

a

My first dd was an unplanned c-section. I pushed for 3 hours and she was stuck. It took a long time to recover physically, I didn't get her for several hours and she bonded to my dh first.

My second dd was a planned c-section. Beforehand I arranged my house so that it would be easier to use, cooked and froze meals, and got everything ready. We went in, I had my epidural, they took her out, I cuddled and nursed her for an hour (she didn't want to leave me) then my dh went off to bath her. I went back to my room and a little while later she was with me. It was a wonderful experience, she bonded well to me. I was up and about quickly. I mean I was taking her to the library and La Leche league meetings within a month.

So basically, the unplanned can be horrible, painful and hard. The planned can be a lot better. Just some reassurance.:001_smile:

I have had 3 c-sections and I have not had trouble bonding with any of them. I got to each of them as soon as I got into my room from recovery (within a half hour) In fact with our first, even though Dan held her first, she was so much of a momma's girl that even the hospital staff or friends who came to see her could hold her....right from the beginning...even dad wasn't a very good choice. I healed quickly and changed many a diaper, even before coming home from the hospital. Although I never expereince a "natural" birth and can't compare, my expereinces were nothing but wonderful...and most importantly, the baby was fine and I was fine.

Blessings to you and your little one!

Kathy

My first was an emergency c-section with a tough recovery. My second was a planned c-section and the recovery was so much easier. I wasn't exhausted from labor, so I feel like I was able to do alot more alot earlier with ds than I was with dd.

Hello,

I've had 4 c-sections, so I've had a lot of experience with what you're (maybe) going to go through. My first piece of advice...don't, don't, don't think that it's any less wonderful than a vaginal birth. I would be dead if I hadn't had a c-section, so I think they're pretty wonderful. We moms tend to get into this "competition" of "my birth was better than yours" Who cares? Is the baby healthy? Are you healthy? Then the birth was perfect, however the baby came out. (Ok, off my soapbox now.)

Next, if you had more time, I would recommend this book: The Essential C-Section Guide by Maureen Connolly and Dana Sullivan. But, you probably don't have time (or feel like!) reading this book right now, so I'll tell you the most important thing I learned. Go on a clear diet (broth, jello) for 24 hours before the delivery. This will help prevent some of the awful gas pain you might get afterward (which made the incision pain so much worse!) Also, no matter what they tell you, do not eat any "real" food until after....(I'll just say it) you've passed gas or done a BM. You don't want to put anything in there if you're not sure it's going to come out. My personal tip is to wear socks in the OR because they are often so cold. Also, if you wear contacts/glasses, make sure you're allowed to wear your glasses for the delivery--you want to see you're baby, don't you?

Finally, enjoy your baby. I know it's not the way you dreamed of giving birth, but you still get a beautiful, wonderful little person in your life. The baby will not hold it against you that you didn't change the first 50 diapers. Think of the recovery time not as a "punishment" but as a wonderful opportunity to get to know this little guy (or gal.) I know that if I hadn't had c-sections I would have been up the very next day doing laundry and washing dishes. Let someone else do that. It will get done (and nothing will happen if the kids wear dirty clothes now and then!) ;) You have bono fide excuse for avoiding all that work and just hold and love on your baby. Enjoy that special time because they grow so fast and it does end too soon.

My son was an emergency c-section, my youngest was planned. My youngest was MUCH easier. We were much calmer, I was fully awake (instead of passing out because of blood pressure problems), dh was able to watch her being pulled out :tongue_smilie:, I was up and walking around, showering, breastfeeding, etc. within 2 hours.

I was out of it for a good 4-6 hours with my son. I do look back on that on being a special time for DH to bond with his son. (ds was dh's first child). He was able to bring ds to the nursery, be there while he was bathed and weighed and spend lots of time with him. Despite the delay, I had no problem breastfeeding ds for around 20 months.

The important thing is a healthy baby and whatever it takes to achieve that is the right thing.

You;ve gotten some great advice. There is also a whitepaper on the ICAN website on family centered c-sections, if you need it. That said, you do NOT have to have a c-section at 41 weeks. My first was an c-section, but my second was a vbac at 41 weeks 5 days. There is NO reason you can't wait. There is NO research showing you more likely to rupture. Ask him for the name of the studies he is basing that information on, so you can read the study yourself. I bet he won't have one. If you really want a vaginal birth, which is safer than a c-section for you and the baby, then stand up for your rights and kindly tell the doctor you will discuss this again at 42 weeks, like anyone else. Hugs!!

I'm 40 wks 5 days pregnant and unless I go into labor in the next 51 hours' date=' I'll be having a c-section. My first was an emergency c-section because of fetal distress and I found that I was mentally unprepared for it. I didn't realize that I woudn't be able to care for my baby for the first 48 or so hours and I felt like a dismal failure as a mother when my son hadn't even been here for 2 days. I think I've come to terms with that- even though my husband will do the first 50 diaper changes, the ratio will quickly even out and it will be okay. My physical recovery was horrible last time, but I have no idea if that was "normal" or not? [b']Apparently, the farther past my due date I get, the more likely it is for my uterus to rupture[/b]? That has me freaked out too, because I am NOT done having kids. So, even though I've been hoping and praying that I would deliver 'normally', now I'm kindof hoping I don't go into labor because I'm terrified of that happening. The doc thinks it's very unlikely that I will go into labor because my cervix hasn't moved or softened at all. Anyway, the first c-section was kindof a blur and I'd really like any advice on being prepared for this- physically and emotionally. Thanks.

The bolded part is absolutely not true. There is no increased risk of uterine rupture simply because of due dates. Remember a due date is an estimate and not a definite. If you aren't 100% sure you want a repeat C-section based on only your due date then I suggest reading and researching about over due babies and VBAC and than make your descision. Ican is a great place to start.

None of my babies have been born earlier than 41 weeks with more than a few over 42 weeks, including a VBAC at 42+ weeks.

Edited by Quiver0f10

but my 2nd c-section was so-o much easier, both the surgery and the recovery. I had a tough surgery the first go around (went with the tough pregnancy that required the surgery) and the first week was quite difficult. Second time? I was out of bed walking around later the same day, started driving 3 days later (shh, don't tell doctor).

I think the fact that it is a planned c-section also helps. You can be well-rested ahead of time and schedule it at a decent time of day.

Sending wishes for an easy birth and recovery!

My first was unplanned - I was just too BIG with almost 16 lbs of baby (twins - 9 days late!) for the uterus to contract! I had been awake all night with back pain before the c-section and fell asleep mid phone-call to a friend afterward .

My later kids came one at a time - dd #1 was supposed to be vbac, but she was so big that she ended up a c-section. DD #2 we went ahead and scheduled the c-section since I had three toddlers at home and needed to coordinate kidkare, etc.

The only downside to a c-section I recall is the gas pain that kicks in for a bit the day after.

I'm 40 wks 5 days pregnant and unless I go into labor in the next 51 hours' date=' I'll be having a c-section. My first was an emergency c-section because of fetal distress and I found that I was mentally unprepared for it. I didn't realize that I woudn't be able to care for my baby for the first 48 or so hours and I felt like a dismal failure as a mother when my son hadn't even been here for 2 days. I think I've come to terms with that- even though my husband will do the first 50 diaper changes, the ratio will quickly even out and it will be okay. My physical recovery was horrible last time, but I have no idea if that was "normal" or not? Apparently, the farther past my due date I get, the more likely it is for my uterus to rupture? That has me freaked out too, because I am NOT done having kids. So, even though I've been hoping and praying that I would deliver 'normally', now I'm kindof hoping I don't go into labor because I'm terrified of that happening. The doc thinks it's very unlikely that I will go into labor because my cervix hasn't moved or softened at all. Anyway, the first c-section was kindof a blur and I'd really like any advice on being prepared for this- physically and emotionally. Thanks.[/quote']

I've had four c-sections (the final pregnancy was twins - I was huge - beyond huge - ). The first one was an emergency after 36 hours of labor and the recovery was awful - I think mostly from the physical exhaustion of labor and THEN having surgery.

My other three were easy as can be. After the twins were born, there was a malfunction with the PCA pump and I wasn't getting any morphine although the machine said that I was (there was a hole in the tubing - my hospital gown was soaked and I was a 10+ on the pain scale) - I was given in an injection when the problem was discovered and I was knocked out for 12 hours. DH kept trying to ask me if I wanted to hold one of the babies - :lol::lol::lol: - I couldn't open one eye, forget holding a baby.

The next morning, everything was fine and I felt great.

My suggestions: as soon as you are able, begin walking - up and down the hall, back and forth - first, 5 minutes at a time, then, rest for about 30 minutes. then, increase to 10 minutes, then rest for 30 minutes again. As long as you feel okay, continue doing this. Back up if you get tired. And, when you are not walking, keep an ice pack on your incision - you cannot believe how much relief this will give you. And, continue doing the ice pack at home. Heed the doctor's instructions about NOT going up and down the stairs or riding in the car.

Best wishes!

If it helps, my second c-section was amazingly easy compared to my first. I had no idea what to expect with the first and it was HARD. The second I knew what I was capable of and was able to take time to heal and enjoy the time with the baby. I did have my mom stay in the hospital with me rather than dh because she was more helpful - handing me the baby, giving me the diapers, etc.

Hello,

I've had 4 c-sections, so I've had a lot of experience with what you're (maybe) going to go through. My first piece of advice...don't, don't, don't think that it's any less wonderful than a vaginal birth. I would be dead if I hadn't had a c-section, so I think they're pretty wonderful. We moms tend to get into this "competition" of "my birth was better than yours" Who cares? Is the baby healthy? Are you healthy? Then the birth was perfect, however the baby came out. (Ok, off my soapbox now.)

Finally, enjoy your baby. I know it's not the way you dreamed of giving birth, but you still get a beautiful, wonderful little person in your life. The baby will not hold it against you that you didn't change the first 50 diapers. Think of the recovery time not as a "punishment" but as a wonderful opportunity to get to know this little guy (or gal.) I know that if I hadn't had c-sections I would have been up the very next day doing laundry and washing dishes. Let someone else do that. It will get done (and nothing will happen if the kids wear dirty clothes now and then!) ;) You have bono fide excuse for avoiding all that work and just hold and love on your baby. Enjoy that special time because they grow so fast and it does end too soon.

:iagree:

You sound quite fearful--do you think you can come to a place where you can embrace the planned c-section if it is to happen? Rescue Remedy might be helpful in calming.

My planned c-section (my only birth, and my little guy was transverse breech and I had placenta previa) was six years ago. Please forgive my rambling, but here's some advice if you want it:

I agree about eating fairly light before, but not so light you'll feel weak. Get some good protein into you.

Be confident about all aspects of the birth that are important to you (feeling in control, breastfeeding, bonding, caring for the baby--whatever it is that is important to you). Just being confident can make such a difference.

Send your husband or a friend to a health food store to get some (homeopathic) Arnica. Arnica really helps considerably with healing. I credit it for my very quick recovery.

Write a birth plan or change the one you have to include the c-section. Be clear about what you hope to have happen with the birth. Do you want to see the baby immediately? Do want to breastfeed in the recovery room? Do you want to room in? Do you want visitors as soon as possible? Again, whatever it is that's important to you, do your best to take charge of it so that you feel some aspect of control.

After the birth, keep close tabs on your needs. Get up and walk around as soon as you can, but don't be afraid to ask for pain meds as needed. Keep the baby in the room with you if you want, but don't be afraid to ask the nurses to take him or her if you need to rest. If you plan to breastfeed and find it difficult to get positioned comfortably, ask for help. Get all the rest you can since you already have another little one at home.

Good luck! In just a few days, all that will matter is that your babe is healthy and safe in your arms. :)

I hate to say this, but c-sections are profitable. I hear of a lot of moms going two weeks or so over their "due date". I almost wonder if doctors aren't purposely citing earlier due dates. Your doctor can suggest, but you have the say so. I've heard eating eggplant, jumping jacks, and a lot of other things can help. :)

I had back-to-back planned c/s with my boys (14 months apart). The second c/s was harder to recover from because DS was a baby Goliath weighing in at over 10lbs, and because the stress of having my parents with us was wearing me out.

Oral Demerol was my friend. I'm allergic to percocet and vicodin, and tylenol 3 wasn't even touching the pain. My doctor prescribed the demerol, and it was functional with minimal pain. However, I did not breastfeed, so if you choose to go that route, talk to your doctor ahead of time.

Good luck with your new baby. :)

I have also had 4 c-sections and have had no problems. The first was emergency because I was in labor for 18 hours, my water had broken, and my ds had not dropped. After the section, I was in recovery for 3 hours and didn't get to see ds until after I was out of recovery. Not sure why, as my other ones were brought with me from the delivery room to recovery. I had a hard time breastfeeding him and that led to a lot of stress after the birth. I worried that I wasn't doing the best for him. However, he is a healthy growing, intelligent boy and we have a very strong bond. I have since decided that it doesn't matter how you take care of them (vag birth, c-section, breastfeeding, bottle) - just that you do take care of them! My recovery wasn't too bad (except for the first-time mom sleep thing), but I do remember having such a tough time when they made me walk for the first time. But I just kept at it and I think that helped.

When I was pregnant with my second (dd), I talked to the doc about VBAC and she said she thought it was actually more dangerous, but that there were risks to both. After doing this c-section thing again and again with different docs (we move alot), over the years, I have decided you can find a doc that supports every angle on the VBAC vs C-section debate. Anyway, since my recovery was not bad with the first, I decided to have another section with the second. Went into labor early with that one also. With her, they had to take her to the nursery at first because her heartrate was low, but brought her by about an hour later. Was able to nurse her and we also bonded well. I kept her in the room with me during the day and sent her to the nursery at night.

Third and fourth ones I decided to do another c-section, because my labors had been so bad and the recoveries had been so easy. In fact, I still cannot believe how well I was getting around the hospital room with the third (fourth was a lot tougher, because I had more scar tissue that time). My husband was able to carry both of them from the operating room to the recovery room and I nursed them both while I was in recovery. I kept them both in the room with me the whole time I was there except for one night that I just really needed some sleep!

Anyways, I guess I am just sharing this story with you to ease your stress a little. The recoveries have never been the same as each other, but they were never bad (the first and fourth were the worst). I think getting up and walking, even if it is just to the door and back, makes a big difference. So does staying on top of your pain meds. They aren't going to hurt the baby and you aren't doing yourself or the baby any favors if you are in so much pain you can't take care of the baby or yourself. The docs won't give you more than is safe and you won't get addicted to it or anything...it will just help you rest better. Also, the nurses ARE there to help you. Just know, when the baby is not your first, I always found the nurses to be more hands off because they figure you know what you are doing. BUT, don't be afraid to call them in and ask for help getting the baby or putting the baby back in the bassinet. I ended up having to do that a lot with the fourth and was embarrassed to ask at first and they assured me it was what I should have been doing!

Wish I had know about the light liquid diet before the section, because that gas is a pain!!! lol

Oh, and about the uterine rupture....not gonna happen - very rare. When I was having my third, I talked a lot with my doc about risks. I knew even then that I wanted a fourth, but I too was worried about uterine rupture - it's one of those "big scary" things you hear about, kwim? I trust my doc and he is very good at giving facts, numbers, sources, alternatives, etc. He said that was very rare and that the biggest risk comes at/after 5 c-sections. The risk that the placenta will attach to the scar tissue. But all that means is that the actual c-section will be rough because they have to pull the tissue apart. But that doesn't happen as early as #2 section. In fact, he even said that possibility (at #5) was lower than the chance of having a baby with down syndrome because of being over 35.

Sorry for being so long winded. I know it always helps me to hear other people's stories so I can feel better about what is about to happen. Make sure you really discuss with your doctor your concerns, and if you really want to have a VBAC, make that known and ask why he is so concerned about it when so many people have them. But, if you do end up having the C-section, it's not a bad thing. You will still have that wonderful bond with your children. I never felt bad that I didn't have them vaginally - heck, I carried them for 9 months, delievered them and cared for them after, with help of course - what is there to feel bad about? And chances are, your recovery will be better with a planned one than the first emergency one because you didn't have to suffer through labor.

Good luck either way! All will be fine and you will soon be holding that beautiful little baby in your arms!

I agree with what many others have said....my recovery from my second was so much better! I don't know whether it was because I knew what to expect and was prepared or what! One thing that helped me was to buy a back support brace (the kind that wraps around your mid-section and velcroes). It sort of held my flabby tummy up off my incision site and gave a lot of support.

Also, holding a pillow on my abdomen for those first few BM's helped ease the pain. On a funny note, when I had my c/section, they wouldn't let me leave the hospital until I went "ca-ca".....no joke, that is what the nurse called it:lol:

Edited by hsbaby

My first was an emergency c-section with a tough recovery. My second was a planned c-section and the recovery was so much easier. I wasn't exhausted from labor, so I feel like I was able to do alot more alot earlier with ds than I was with dd.

:iagree:

Guest mrsjamiesouth
I'm 40 wks 5 days pregnant and unless I go into labor in the next 51 hours' date=' I'll be having a c-section. My first was an emergency c-section because of fetal distress and I found that I was mentally unprepared for it. I didn't realize that I woudn't be able to care for my baby for the first 48 or so hours and I felt like a dismal failure as a mother when my son hadn't even been here for 2 days. I think I've come to terms with that- even though my husband will do the first 50 diaper changes, the ratio will quickly even out and it will be okay. My physical recovery was horrible last time, but I have no idea if that was "normal" or not? Apparently, the farther past my due date I get, the more likely it is for my uterus to rupture? That has me freaked out too, because I am NOT done having kids. So, even though I've been hoping and praying that I would deliver 'normally', now I'm kindof hoping I don't go into labor because I'm terrified of that happening. The doc thinks it's very unlikely that I will go into labor because my cervix hasn't moved or softened at all. Anyway, the first c-section was kindof a blur and I'd really like any advice on being prepared for this- physically and emotionally. Thanks.[/quote']

I have had 3 c-sections, 2 of them planned. The best advice I got was go in expecting the worse pain you have ever had, each c-section hurts worse than the 1st. If you are prepared for horrible pain and it is horrible you are at least expecting it, but if it isn't as bad as you prepared for then you will be glad. I spoke to my Dr. before having no.3 about the horrible pain I had with no. 2 , and he went ahead and gave me morphine in my spinal tap. The pain was much easier having had the morphine in advance. I also suggest you make yourself get out of bed within hours after you are put back into your room. The sooner you get up and make yourself move the sooner you will recover.

Also be prepared to wait. Even though your c-section is supposed to be at 10am, if there is an emergency your appointment will be shoved back. This happened to me with both no.2 and no.3. With no.2 they actually forgot about me and didn't remember me until 11pm, I had been there since 5am. They gave my dh and I a nice steak dinner that night to make up for it!

I'm soooo glad to hear that there are so many easier recoveries after a planned c-section! The first one was really rough! I'm pretty sure about the due dates, pretty sure of conception date and a couple of ultrasounds where she measured exactly to the day. The last u/s was on my due date and they think she's almost 9 lbs. I go to a practice where I rotate docs and they asked me who I wanted to do it- so I don't think it's really profit-motivated. I think their general policy is not to have previous sections go over 41 weeks (although they were willing to go a couple days over that, but then I wouldn't have had my preferred doc) They told me that nothing is 100% but they seem pretty sure that I'm not going to go into labor anytime soon.

I'm just really relieved to know that the recovery isn't necessarily going to be horrible! I'll definitely take the advice about not eating much! I really, really want to breastfeed- and did with my first, but I'd read that it was much easier with a regular delivery.

I feel much better having read other people's stories! Thanks!!!

Another set of easy recoveries here. I don't know any different, and have many friends who have had v-births that had easy recoveries as well. I was up and showered same-day as delivery in both cases, and home within 4 days of delivery in both cases. I was exercising (with doctor's consent and care) within 4 weeks.

My experience was that my second c-section was significantly easier than my first-to the point of hosting a family-only (all 8 of us) birthday party for my oldest who turned 2 the day we came home from the hospital. My first was emergency since my bp shot up and ds#1 was retreating back up into my womb. I was a complete exhausted mess the first go around. Second time, not a problem. Get up when the nurses tell you to so you can walk around and make sure to use their physical strength to help you. They know all the tricks to getting you up and around so use them and abuse them. I kept ds2 in the bed with me about 90% of the time. That made nursing him so much easier and my recovery mentally easier. I also limited the number of visitors simply due to exhaustion. With nurses coming in so much and family bringing the older dc by, I was worn out. Also, if you have a tendency to get nauseous after the surgery, there is something the anesthesiologist can add to make that easier to fight. I didn't learn that until the 3rd c-section. Bring plenty of carbs, if you eat them. I was starving all the time so eating Pringles and saltine crackers kept me going until the food services ladies came around.

It soounds like you've heard encouraging news for you! I had an emergency c-section followed by two planned c-sections. And the recovery for a planned c-section was so much easier!! I attributed it to all the hours of labor, no sleep, and two - hours of pushing. With a planned c-section - you go in well rested (hopefully) and there's no physical drain of energy from labor that you have to recover from as well.

I successfully breast-fed all three of my babies. In fact, I never heard that it could be more difficult for c-section babies! So I wouldn't worry about that.

Congrats!!

As far as the breastfeeding...after the first it was so much easier. The c-section shouldn't give you any problems. The baby may seem a bit groggy at first but that passes quickly. You breastfed your first, so you know a lot more now. It always helps if at least one person in the breastfeeding relationship knows what they're doing!

Good luck....and keep us updated! I'll keep you in my prayers the next few days!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I have had three C-sections. My last one, I was able to recover in the same room as my baby, and he never left my sight. They also released me within 36 hours of my C-section at my request! I found I did great as long as I didn't go too long without my pain meds.

I'm soooo glad to hear that there are so many easier recoveries after a planned c-section! The first one was really rough! I'm pretty sure about the due dates' date=' pretty sure of conception date and a couple of ultrasounds where she measured exactly to the day. The last u/s was on my due date and they think she's almost 9 lbs. I go to a practice where I rotate docs and they asked me who I wanted to do it- so I don't think it's really profit-motivated. [b']I think their general policy is not to have previous sections go over 41 weeks (although they were willing to go a couple days over that, but then I wouldn't have had my preferred doc) [/b]They told me that nothing is 100% but they seem pretty sure that I'm not going to go into labor anytime soon.

I'm just really relieved to know that the recovery isn't necessarily going to be horrible! I'll definitely take the advice about not eating much! I really, really want to breastfeed- and did with my first, but I'd read that it was much easier with a regular delivery.

I feel much better having read other people's stories! Thanks!!!

Just a gentle reminder that their policy doesn't have to be your policy. Make sure that YOU really WANT a scheduled c-section. If you do, then great, make plans and enjoy. But if YOU would rather have a vaginal birth, or wait the NORMAL 42 weeks before deciding, then you CAN do that, no matter what their policy is. Just smile and say no thank you. This is major surgery, and you want to make sure you are doing it because you researched it and decided you really need the surgery, not because of an arbitrary timetable. The average length of gestation is 41 weeks 3 days. Scheduling a c-section at 41 weeks doesn't even give you the average amount of time. And many many many women have been told that they were no where near going into labor, only to deliver that same day.

That said, I have nothing but happy wishes and for you either way, enjoy that baby! Oh, and almost forgot, my c-section baby was 7lbs 13oz, my VBAC baby was 9lbs, with no problems. Two of my friends had VBACS that same week, one baby was 10lbs 1oz, and one was 10lbs 5oz! No complications or problems with either one, and one of the moms is a little petite thing!

Regarding the idea that uterine rupture is more likely after 41 weeks, this study shows that is NOT true. It states that rupture does NOT increase beyond 41 weeks. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16199624

Actually, almost all the women i know that have had VBACs had them after 41 weeks. Go figure.

Anyway, just make sure that if you agree to the surgery it's because you actually agree, not to be a good patient or do what they say.

I've had four :). Yes, planned cesareans are MUCH easier! I always take peppermint tea to help with the gas pains from the surgery. I also lay flat and walk my fingers up and down my abdomen in a circular motion to move the air bubbles. The gas pains in my shoulders are the worst part of recovery for me! I get up as soon as they remove the catheter (24 hours?). Make sure they put the calf massagers on you. Sometimes you have to ask them, but make sure you leave them on as long as you can stand them. Movement is so important to help prevent blood clots. Find out what your hospital's policy is on babies after delivery. I have delivered in hospitals that allow you to bring baby to recovery and hospitals that did not bring me my baby for HOURS and HOURS. Walk as much as you can. Don't be afraid to ask for help getting out of bed or asking for pain medication while you are in the hospital. If you are breastfeeding and you do take pain meds, watch your baby for signs of constipation, jaundice, and lethargy. Someone else mentioned it, but tell the anesthesiologist if you start to feel nauseous. I would NOT want to throw up during surgery! Do not mop floors or walk on the beach when you go home :glare:;).

Just because you are having surgery does NOT mean you have no say in your care. I prefer natural childbirth when it is safe for mom and baby. In my case, c-sections are the safest option. I hope you are able to have the birth you hope for!

Gosh - you are at such an amazing point in your life, I hate to see you struggling over this. I had an emergency c-section with my first (and I was 35 at the time) - and while I was in the hospital I questioned whether i would EVER be able to take care of my baby. But once I was home it was smooth sailing. My doctor thought I was insane when at 2 weeks i asked to go back to the gym and get back to weight training. BTW - I had my second VBAC, so I don't know how it would have been if it had been another c-section. But that's another option to consider, as others have said. I would have to say that each baby is different, and even though your first was hard, your second may be a piece of cake. Whatever happens, please please please remember that this is a miracle that you don't want to forget to treasure. Blessings to you, and please let us know how you are doing.

I'm still being very encouraged by the personal stories of easy recoveries. Thank you so much for those. Especially Runmiarun's. My ds's b-day will be coming up quickly after this! My first wasn't easy and I've heard many horror stories IRL. The bonding thing took me by surprise the first time, but I think I'm prepared for that this time.

Stairs? Are stairs a serious issue? My bedroom is on a different floor than the bathroom- the couch is NOT very comfy. But the last few weeks of the pregnancy have been HORRIBLE and I really want to get back to normal as quickly as possible.....would that include an air mattress on the living room floor? (So I don't have to go upstairs for anything?) Stairs weren't an issue last time- we live in a different house now.

That website was also interesting reading- I do know that I will strongly request that the baby is put on my chest immediately after birth!

:grouphug:

I watched my wonderful dh care for all of her other needs. This bonding between daughter and father was a real blessing to watch.

Focus on the good things and it will be all right.

I haven't had time to read the other responses, but this is so true. I had a planned c with my last baby, and it went much more smoothly than I imagined! After the first day or so, recovery wasn't too bad. And what she said about watching your husband care for the newborn is so amazing. My DH loves all his boys, but he has a really special bond with the third and I think it's because he did so much for him those early days when I couldn't do it all.

I had an unplanned emergency c-section. I make it a rule not to discuss the details of my labour and delivery with pregnant people because in the end, my kid's alive, and that is truly the only important detail of it all. My recovery was pretty straight-forward with no complications. I can't imagine how much more I could have bonded with my son than what we had and have, so no worries there.

The only thing I'd mention in addition to all the advice you got already is this: They will make you get up and walk quite shortly after your surgery. I mean... about 6 or so hours later, depending on how long you take in recovery. No one warned me about the sensation of standing up the first time. You will feel everything inside you shift when you stand. It is an alarming feeling if you are unprepared. To me, I felt as if my insides would fall out. Of course, they wouldn't, but that is sort of the feeling. I was not expecting anything like that, and the sensation coupled with not knowing what the heck was happening made me vomit all over the nurse. I also tore some stitches doing that, but they were quickly repaired.

I tell you this, not to alarm you (because you. will. be. fine), but because I know that if I had known what to expect, I would have been much better off physically and psychologically -- not to mention would have saved a very cute uniform and shoes. Poor nurse.

Edited by Audrey

I haven't had time to read the other responses, but this is so true. I had a planned c with my last baby, and it went much more smoothly than I imagined! After the first day or so, recovery wasn't too bad. And what she said about watching your husband care for the newborn is so amazing. My DH loves all his boys, but he has a really special bond with the third and I think it's because he did so much for him those early days when I couldn't do it all.

Oh so true! Right after they took ds out and started sewing me up, I remember dh holding him up and asking "what's his name?" and I told him and from that moment until I held him myself in the room later, my dh was with him every. single. second. of his new little life. The nurses told me how, all the while I was in hospital, my dh held ds the whole time in the nursery and would ask if I was awake to bring him in to me. Later, they just moved dh into the room with one of those chairs that fold out into a cot.

Let me tell you... if you weren't hopelessly in love with your husband before, you sure as heck will be after you see him like that. I'll never forget it, and never have a single regret about ds's birth precisely because of that.

I'm still being very encouraged by the personal stories of easy recoveries. Thank you so much for those. Especially Runmiarun's. My ds's b-day will be coming up quickly after this! ....

Stairs? Are stairs a serious issue? My bedroom is on a different floor than the bathroom- the couch is NOT very comfy. But the last few weeks of the pregnancy have been HORRIBLE and I really want to get back to normal as quickly as possible.....would that include an air mattress on the living room floor? (So I don't have to go upstairs for anything?) Stairs weren't an issue last time- we live in a different house now.

Stairs can be an issue. I lived downstairs for the first month with ds#1. It wasn't comfortable but trying to get up the stairs was worse, for me. The going-down the stairs was difficult and made my incision tingle. Is your couch one where you could take the cushions off and put the air mattress on the base? I know I had such a hard time rolling off the couch and/or bed with all 3 of my sections for about 3-4 days after coming home. I needed DH to push me off or pull me up. I slept at a 45 degree angle for the first couple of days on the couch.

As for the party, it was very simple. Pizza and a chocolate chip cookie cake. If I hadn't had the good drugs to fight the pain, I don't think I would have done the party. But with all the family already in town, we had one chance to celebrate.

would that include an air mattress on the living room floor? (So I don't have to go upstairs for anything?)

There would be no way I could use an air mattress on the loor after having a C-section! - I could hardly sit up and get out of my regular bed without help!! Trying to get up off the floor? Yikes!! I'd rather take the stairs - very slowly.

Oh - has anyone recommended control top panties? I didn't get that tip until my 3rd C-section. They really do help to feel that you aren't falling all out of yourself!! LOL.

I'm another that had a *horrible* first experience (and felt like a failure too for not being able to push the guy out after 3 hours), and went on to have a wonderful 2nd c-section. I was able to breastfeed within the first hour. My mom stayed in the hospital with me so she could get the baby for me when she needed to feed, and that was a lifesaver.

One of the things I remember most is that I felt *so* good after 2 weeks, I stopped taking my meds. Then I felt *really* bad for about a week until I got back on track again. So even if you feel like you're recovering quickly, take it easy! Keep up with your meds and give yourself a full 6 weeks to heal!

This is the stuff I didn't like as much the 2nd time and would have liked to have known about. If you are opposed to any negative thoughts here, then stop reading. :) I *was* more aware of the surgery this time, and I've heard that from other multiple c-section moms. It wasn't frightening or painful or anything - just a strange awareness of the whole thing. And I highly recommend *not* eating anything for several hours before the surgery - everyone I've talked to (as well as myself) has tried to throw up on the table. They'll give you anti-nausea meds if you need them, and the feeling might only last a few seconds, but it's a common thing (at least with the 4 women I know who have gone on to have multiple c-sections).

Other than that, your 2nd c-section will probably feel like a cake walk compared to the first. I pray it goes well for you!

M first c-section was with the twins, and it was terrible for me. The twins were taken away to the NICU, and I didn't see them for two days because I couldn't get out of bed. It was really a terrible feeling, and I was so jealous of everyone in my family who got to see them before me.

My second c-section was planned and was a completely different experience. My son came to the recovery room with me, and I was able to breastfeed him within hours of having him. Everyone (the doctor, nurses, and my family) knew beforehand how important bonding with my son was to me, and they truly helped me after the c-section. My recovery was much quicker the second time too. I think because I felt better about everything, I was able to be pro-active with my recovery.