Menu

Need ideas for a single serving size dessert with no chocolate or coconut.

We have been having regular Sunday dinners at my fil's house for the past few months, since my mil passed away. All the kids and grandkids come and either bring food or cook there. I somehow lucked out and got assigned to bring dessert every week. :)

My dh can't have chocolate, because it irritates his GERD. But I tend to fall into the "if I'm gonna waste calories on dessert, it'd better be chocolate" camp. Sometimes I just make two smallish desserts, one with chocolate and one without. But the chocolate dessert I've got planned for tomorrow is a big recipe, so I'd like to take just it and a single serving of something my dh can have. (if I make too much dessert, fil insists we take it home, and we just don't need sweets laying around here.)

Anyway, now that you've got more info than you ever needed, LOL, what I need is this:

Dessert ideas for individual servings, preferably that can be frozen (so I can not worry about dh's Sunday dessert for a few weeks at a time), that have no chocolate or coconut (he's allergic). He likes banana and peach a lot; in fact, he likes most fruit.

TIA!

Edited by bethanyniez

Fruit tarts? You can use store bought pastry if you are not inclined to make your own. They freeze well. You can make them in a little dish or in large muffin tins.

Cheesecake freezes well also.

I love frozen apple pie...I like it still ice cold, when it is barely thawed out enough to get a fork into it. mmmmm

Cookie dough that can be frozen into logs and then sliced to bake as needed.

Blond brownies topped with a coffee flavored ice cream (or other flavor).

Banana bread

Peach crisp/crumble/buckle in small dishes

My dh's favorite is peach cobbler. You could make them in mini-loaf pans and freeze for later. Blueberry cobbler would be great this time of year too.

Someone recently posted a link to mini pies that you bake in canning jars. I think the recipe makes 4 at a time and are freezable.

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/09/single-serving-pie-in-jar.html

You could try cookies too - peanute butter, oatmeal or thumb print.

The first thing that I thought of was flan.

Me too!!! :D

You can even cheat and buy it pre-made. They carry it at Walmart - one brand is just so-so, but the other is delicious!

Just checked and Raymundos is the awesome one. : )

Kozy Shack has individual servings of rice pudding. I also recommend that, but I'm not sure how well either of these freeze.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Me too!!! :D

You can even cheat and buy it pre-made. They carry it at Walmart - one brand is just so-so' date=' but the other is delicious!

Just checked and Raymundos is the awesome one. : )[/quote']

Ok, I've *heard* of flan, but never had it or made it. Anyone have a good recipie?

If you want I have a really easy, single serving lemon cake/custard thing that is really yummy.

PM me if you want the recipe.

Lara

Surely you know that this post is against board rules? You just aren't allowed to say your thing (whatever type of food thing it is) is "really yummy" and then not post the recipe. Uh-uh. :glare:

What about cheesecake? We use the jello pudding cheescake mix. It's completely fake, but it's yummy.

http://www.amazon.com/Jell-o-No-Bake-Cheesecake-11-1/dp/B00168AE74/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1280621385&sr=8-9

I buy cupcake liners and make it as individual serving size cheescake cupcakes. We all like to eat it frozen, so that works out perfectly here.

I too was thinking of a simple way to dress up ice cream. Add one of those gourmet type cookies, like Pepperidge Farms, to a dish of superb ice cream.

Fresh fruit topped with real whipped topping is heavenly. But that would be something to prepare the day of, not freeze.

This has become my absolute new summer favorite, and has been a huge hit with the family. Ultra healthy ice cream:

Freeze: 1 chopped banana (should be about 1 cup) and 1 cup of chopped peaches (or mix peaches and raspberries)

To make: Toss frozen fruit into VitaMix or food processor (I haven't tried the food processor, but the original recipe said this), add 1/4-1/2 cup of vanilla soy milk (or you could use milk, add some sweetner)

My favorite, quick go-to dessert.

1 pkg instant cheesecake pudding mix

1 pkg neufchatel cheese

1 angel food cake

1 can cherry pie filling

Whipped Cream

Make pudding according to box and then blend in cream cheese until smooth. It will set up quickly.

Put angel food cake in a dish and spread pudding mixture on top. Pour cherry pie filling over the pudding. Done. It's so good.

I sometimes add berries or cut strawberries. Sometimes no pie filling and just berries. I vary it. Whipped Cream can be added to the top.

I would think you could use small bowls and make individual sized servings.

:D:DAnyone else have ideas? You ladies are so creative..,

Hey, Julie in CA, I bet you've got some suggestions!

Lol! People have given you great ideas so far. I second (or third) the cheesecake suggestion. Bake it, slice it, and freeze the slices. It's easy to pull out just one or two when they're wanted or needed. There are a zillion and one different types of cheesecakes. I have a really superb strawberry cheesecake recipe if that sounds good to you. It's also really beautiful. :001_smile: Creme brulee is decadent, yummy and freezes well. Cakes of all kinds (someone else mentioned carrot cake) freeze well, and you can either bake them as cupcakes or just bake a regular cake, slice, and then freeze the slices. Cream puffs freeze beautifully, and there's a lemon version that's really really good. I sometimes freeze fruit cobbler fillings in individual servings, then attach a little pouch of yummy stuff to sprinkle over the top of the warmed fruit filling. To make cinnamon crunchies (people didn't find the name cinnamon croutons appetizing), you cut any type of bread into teeny cubes, then saute the cubes in a pan with butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. When the cubes are toasty, pour them onto a cookie sheet and bake them until they're uniformly crisp/dry. They can then be frozen in snack-size ziplocs along with a pouch of frozen fruit filling. When you're ready, you can just nuke the fruit filling and sprinkle with the cinnamon croutons. I just made an apricot-almond tart that was yummy and would freeze easily. I have a recipe for coconut banana ice cream pie that's really good. Since it's served frozen, it's easy to keep on hand.

If you'd like any recipes, let me know. I'll keep thinking too, and let you know if I think of anything else that would be wonderful. :001_smile:

ETA: -just saw that coconut is a no-no, but you could still make that coconut banana ice cream pie without it, I think.

Edited by Julie in CA

I seem to have been skinned alive for not adding the recipe.

I did realize later that this recipe make 8 single servings, so I feel kinda dumb now but here goes the recipe (earlier today I was just kinda lazy and didn't want to take the time to put the recipe if no one wanted it) , now I'm kinda drunk so this could make ANYTHING.)

Lemon Custard Cups

1C Sugar

1/4C Flour

2 T butter (melted)

pinch salt

1t lemon peel

1/3C lemon juice

3 egg yolks (slighlty beaten)

11/2C Milk

3 egg whites beaten til stiff

Whipped cream for topping

350 oven

mix in large bowl: Sug, flour, butter (melted); Add lemon peel and juice

mix milk and yolks together, add to sugar mix

fold in whites

put into buttered custard cups (8) and put into hot water bath

13x9x2 pan, 1 inch deep

35-40 min til springy and golden brown

cake will be on top with custard on bottom

add whip cream

can also be made in a 2 qt square pan (but not as good-the middle is soggy)

I don't know if this freezes-it never makes it past the evening here.

It makes single servings, but isn't a single serving recipe--

see how much smarter I am after 3 Mikes????

Lara

I agree with cheesecake. I make Mini cheesecakes in cupcake holders with a Nilla wafer on bottom for the crust. You could freeze them and when ready to serve just thaw and add some fresh strawberries onto or a scoop of the canned cherry pie filling. Sorry if this has already been suggested....I only read through a few of the replies:)

Lol! People have given you great ideas so far. I second (or third) the cheesecake suggestion. Bake it, slice it, and freeze the slices. It's easy to pull out just one or two when they're wanted or needed. There are a zillion and one different types of cheesecakes. I have a really superb strawberry cheesecake recipe if that sounds good to you. It's also really beautiful. :001_smile: Creme brulee is decadent, yummy and freezes well.

I'm thinking everyone's idea of individidual cheese cakes is a good one. I could use muffin tins, and a graham cracker crust.

I know my dh is a big fan of creme brulee. Pioneer woman just posted her recipe for it the other day. I was thinking of that, but does it freeze good? Would I freeze it, then when I need it, just take it out and then do the caremelized sugar on top, or do you freeze it with the sugar already done? Also, I don't have a butane torch. I'm guessing one of those long lighters wouldn't get hot enough? I'd hate to buy a butane torch *just* for creme brulee. Or is it not that tricky to do the sugar with a broiler?

Thanks for the ideas ladies! Oh, and my dh will thank you too, I'm sure. :D