Menu

Just bought a new mattress and I hate it...

We have had a futon for the last 15 years, with a memory foam topper on it. I was totally happy with it, but DH thinks it is the pits and sleeps better in hotels.

We shopped for HOURS and finally bit the bullet last night and bought a Sealy something, Euro Pillowtop. In the store, it felt softer, I guess because the floor model has been there awhile and seen a lot of use. I like REALLY soft, my husband likes firm, and we compromised on this. But we brought it home, and it is like a rock. I slept horribly. I really dislike it. I am so bummed, because we spent a lot on it, waited a long time to get a real bed, and are stuck with it for the next 20 years.

Console me. Do they get softer?

Hubby thought it was firmer than expected, too, and he didn't sleep great either. Will we get used to it?

I want to cry!

Call the store today and check their return policy. I would probably return it if possible.

:iagree:

We bought a new mattress a few years ago and I hated it from the start. Dh convinced me to give it some time to get used to it. I still hate it and wish I would have returned it.

• Like 1

Many mattress stores have a generous return policy.

We just got a new mattress and had the same experience: it seemed much firmer than the one at the store. It's been almost three weeks now and we've gotten used to it. In our case, we had some serious craters in our previous mattress, so the fact that this one is flat is a big plus!

I will go find the name, I am not sure at the moment. If I lived near you, I would deliver it to your door!

My husband is not one to return things. I can tell he was irritated this morning when I mentioned hoping I could put the foam topper back on, and I am pretty sure he would rather die than ask the guy to take it back. We bought it from a small store, and the guy spent hours with us. He is the only employee there. Honestly, I am embarrassed to ask him to take it back.

I am pretty sure the foam topper will make it bearable for me. I am just so bummed that we spent so many hundreds of dollars on something that I like no better than our ancient futon mattress.

As long as you buy another mattress from the same store, there's no reason to feel guilty. He'll get just as much commission from another mattress as he did from this one. I mean, a bad night's sleep can make you miserable. A bad night's sleep every night for twenty years, because you feel guilty about asking a sales person to meet your needs, is just silly. Honestly, my DH NEVER makes returns, either. It's just because he's scared of confrontation and is worried that the people at the store will get "forceful". I'd bite the bullet and do it for him - he'll likely be grateful to have a slightly softer mattress and not have to be the bad guy.

Most mattress companies have a decent return policy - something like 30 to 60 days. They recognize it as part of their business - that once people get something home and spend a night or two on it they may not like it. They have a SHORT return window, so that people can't let their kids jump on it for months and then return it ;) but generally they'll accept returns (often for in-store credit so you'll buy a replacement with them). Does the store have a web page? If so, they probably have their returns policy listed on it somewhere.

You really should at least check your paperwork or call to find out the actual return policy. Many mattress places give you a certain amount of time, ie, 30 days, to return/exchange. Find out the policy of your store. If you can try for a few more nights before you have to return it, your dh may come to agree with you that it's not the best for you. ;)

it is VERY common for mattresses to be returned. I don't know how the stores handle it but they certainly anticipate the possibility and have a plan in place. You shouldn't worry about that. You have spent good money, you need to get what you paid for - a mattress for a restful night's sleep.

Receipt says, "All sales final, no refunds, no exchanges"

CRY...

Wow, I am sorry. I guess it is a very small store. Caveat emptor lesson learned.

Okay, so to redeem the situation, I would cut that memory foam in half and put it on your side. It might make the bed look a bit uneven when made up, but that's a small price to pay for a good night's sleep.

I would still call up the store and explain, and ask what they can do. They don't want an unhappy customer, and hopefully they will value your future business, and the fact that you can share your experience with others who might be in the market for a new mattress.

If that doesn't work, I'd consider listing the mattress on Craigslist or a local newspaper and see if you can sell it for a decent price. If you end up buying a new mattress, there are models that have different firmnesses on each side - my dh and I have one - mine has a memory foam layer and his has a latex foam layer.

Receipt says, "All sales final, no refunds, no exchanges"

CRY...

Maybe they would consider letting you exchange it for the floor model that you tried in the store? It wouldn't cost them anything, and you'd get the level of softness/support that you actually chose.

Jackie

Guest Katia

Oh, I'm so sorry! But, I can certainly relate.

We just bought a new mattress; a Restonic. I didn't want it and didn't like it at the store, but dh thought it was ok. Long story I'm not going into as to why we are looking at this store at all.....(my dad wanted us to buy it there, sigh) Well, after 4 nights of feeling like I'm on a rock, not sleeping, listening to it squeak and creak, and aching all over (especially my back), it is going BACK.

The store we purchased it at has a policy that when you purchase their mattress pad you have the option to return the mattress within 60 days, BUT they want you to sleep on it for 30 days as they say it takes that long to get used to the mattress. Nope. Aint' gonna happen. I'm not sleeping! Dh called them and told them if they want us to keep it 30 days; fine. But it wouldn't be on our bed and we wouldn't be sleeping on it; we would replace it with something from another store asap. They said something about talking to the manager and getting approval, etc.

The other mattresses at this store that we could have exchanged for were Simmon's Beauty Rest mattresses, and they did have one that we liked with the memory foam, but dh can't stand to be hot at night and memory foam holds in heat. He was sweating just laying on it at the store. sigh.

Anyhow, the Simmon's Beauty Rest mattress come with a 'plush' side and a 'firm' side. You may want to look at them!

Yesterday, dh and I went mattress shopping again, and we both found one we love....and yes, it's from a different store/brand that only this one store makes (it's made exclusively by this store).

Good news: new mattress is being delivered MONDAY!!! I can't wait for a good night's sleep.

Bad news: I have no idea where we will put this nasty mattress until they come to pick it up...maybe the garage? I hope they come and get it waayyyy before the 30 days are up.

The mattress that we ended up getting was a Lebeda Opulence. Wow. It's fab! The other one we liked almost as well was the Ledeba Reve. Our old mattress was a Lebeda Bastogne and we loved it as well, but my ds needed a 'guest' mattress for a bed he inherited, so we gave him our 'old' Bastonge and 'treated' ourselves to a new one.

Guess we'll stick with Lebeda in the mattress department. They are so superior in quality, workmanship and 'feel'. If they are available in your area, I highly recommend them. I have them on all my children's beds as well.

http://www.lebeda.com/default.aspx

I should have shopped around more.

Wish I had know about the Simmons with a firm side and a soft side.

We went to Sam's Club, next to this little place, and DH liked the guy and felt we had spent so much time talking to him that he felt we should just buy one there.

Unlike me to not research to death, but I had paid for a sitter to watch my kids for those hours, and just wanted to be done.

I will wait for hubby to come home and see what he thinks. I think he will just assume we will get used to it, and he will be irritated with me if I push the issue. Sigh. So, unless he reacts differently than I am guessing, I will have to put the foam topper back on. Which he has already told me he doesn't want. Doesn't want 2 different levels on the bed, and doesn't want it on his side.

Or maybe, he will hate it after another night and decide to call the store and hope we can do something else.

GROAN....

Wow, I am sorry. I guess it is a very small store. Caveat emptor lesson learned.

Okay, so to redeem the situation, I would cut that memory foam in half and put it on your side. It might make the bed look a bit uneven when made up, but that's a small price to pay for a good night's sleep.

This is what I did with my memory foam topper. Dh didn't like how the topper felt, so I just cut it in half and put it on my side. Yes, it looks weird, but it works.

Called hubby, he was irritated but said he agreed it was a lot firmer than the one at the store. He told me to call the store and ask to switch for the really soft one that I liked. I called, and the guy was nice but said he cannot by law take a mattress back. He can't sell anything that has been used even for one night, and he doesnt have a license to sell used.

He told me there are some stores that do take them back, but they typically charge a penalty and then give you credit toward buying a new one. He doesn't do that. He also said those places then sell the rejected mattresses through liquidators.

Anyway, he told me to keep trying it and within a week or 2 hopefully we will adjust to it.

Maybe we will.

My sweet parents told me that I could trade mine for one in their guest room, if I wanted. :-) Really kind of them. I will try to make this work, but if not, I guess we can do that.

I did put the topper back on and it of course feels all squishy and nice to me, so I think DH will have to adjust to my having the 2" topper on my side (unless he decides he likes the topper on this firm mattress!). We have an Ikea bed that really accommodates a thin mattress, so with this new very thick 16" mattress, plus a 2" topper, you can't even see the headboard anymore. Oh well.

I guess I will try to think about how good I have it that my biggest concern right now is mattresses. Right? I have 3 healthy children, and everything is wonderful.

... We have an Ikea bed that really accommodates a thin mattress, so with this new very thick 16" mattress, plus a 2" topper, you can't even see the headboard anymore...

We once bought a pillowtop mattress for our four-poster bed. It was so thick, we needed a step stool to get into the bed! That one got exchanged right away, in fact, I think we sent it back with the delivery men. That was many years ago. It is funny, now, to think back on it. Wasn't funny then...

You have done your best. Now go spend some time with your wonderfuls!

A few years ago we shelled out big bucks (more than $4000) for a king size Tempurpedic mattress. The one in the store was heavenly and I had to do some serious talking, eye batting and pleading to get dh to agree to buy it. They delivered it the next day and we HATED it. It was hard as a slab of marble. Dh was less than happy and I wanted to cry. We talked to the store and we could bring it back. We went in a picked out a new mattress, but they couldn't deliver it for 9 days. We had already gotten rid of our old mattress and had no choice but to sleep on the original mattress. By the 4th night, it was slightly more comfortable. By the 6th it was quite comfortably and the day before we were due to have it changed, it was crazy comfortable. We called the store and asked to stop the exchange. It just took the mattress time to get broken in. We've had it for 4 years now and it is the most comfortable mattress ever. When we go somewhere we talk about how much we miss our bed. Maybe yours just needs time to be slept on.

When I recently bought a mattress the guy warned me how firm it was going to be when it arrives. The mattresses take (according to him) about two months to get to their stated firmness level. His exact words were "This mattress is pretty firm, so when it shows up at your house it is going to feel like a rock!" :glare:

It is getting better.

Really? I was guessing they would not take it back because then they would have to sell it as used. ?

You can not legal sell a used mattress (at least the last time I worked in retail). It would be returned to vendor for credit so the store would not lose any money and the manufactorer would know that it is a bad product. I have seen so many mattresses return to both Sam's and Costco's that it's not even funny. It is really hard to pick a good mattress.

I bought a memory foam bed several months ago. After a few days I was SO miserable in it. I asked the guy at the store and he said:

1) it took him a week or two to get used to it also

and

2) if I wasn't happy with it, I could return it anytime in the next X days and find another bed.

At 2 weeks, I was happy. When hubby returned home, he had difficulty with it (probably made worse by the fact that we don't always sleep in the same room). I expressed to him that he should try sleeping it in two whole weeks.

And now we've been away from home over 2 months <sigh>. Can't wait til we get our bed back :)

I guess I will try to think about how good I have it that my biggest concern right now is mattresses. Right? I have 3 healthy children, and everything is wonderful.

I think this is your best bet and what I try to do (though not always successfully, mind you) when I have an upset about some material item like this. After we moved into our house, the power company decided to reroute their electrical lines and basically encircled our house with electrical poles. We were extremely upset, but I kept reminding myself of what a nice house we had and to think about all the people that didn't even have homes and those who didn't even have food. Reminding myself that this was a small issue in the big scheme of life actually worked for me that time.

It also sounds like the mattress topper should solve your problem if your husband doesn't get too adamant about it. I've got one of those and it makes a world of difference on our horrible 20+ year old mattress.

I hope you find a solution you can live with! It is difficult to fork out all that money and then not be happy.

Lisa

• 11 years later...

We bought a new mattress a month ago and after a couple of days, it was too firm so we bought a mattress topper and it was fine for a few weeks but now I have the back, shoulder and neck pain every night. We cannot return the mattress and it is in great condition. We only actually slept on it to nights then got the mattress topper. What should I do?