Menu

What is your favorite manipulative for preschoolers?

mystika1

counting bears with colored cups for sorting and other activities. My DS LOVED them when he was younger and really latched onto the concepts. We also loved cuisenaire rods even tho miquon never really worked for us. :tongue_smilie:

Pattern blocks are wonderful, and there are a ton of printable pictures for them to match on the various preschool teacher sites.

Also, a set of colored counters in a favorite shape for sorting, patterning, non-standard measurement, basic addition and subtraction, graphing, and a ton of other skills. My DD's favorites were frogs.

Not sure I would call these manipulatives, but my 2yo and 4yo love the Lauri toys (pegs, shape puzzles, etc.) and will play with them for hours. Unifix cubes are also a favorite b/c they snap together very easily. The boys love to make light sabers with them. :glare: And, as prev. mentioned, pattern blocks, cuisenaire rods, counting bears (or other animals, objects).

Pattern blocks are wonderful, and there are a ton of printable pictures for them to match on the various preschool teacher sites.

:iagree:

Also, instead of buying those cute and colorful, yet expensive, counting bears with the cups, we have a bunch of assorted buttons (less than $2 a pack at walmart) and some various containers for sorting by color and size. My ds3 loves playing with these, but now that ds1 is toddling everywhere, I have to be super careful about dropped buttons! I think they might go away for awhile. lol

Mighty Mind is a puzzle game similar to tangrams or pattern blocks. It consists of a collection of plastic pieces in different shapes and colors, and a sequence of ordered challenges that get progressively more difficult.

It's a lot of fun, though I get turned off by their marketing hype.

http://www.mightymind.com/

We have both the Mighty Mind and the Super Mind set. It's useful to us to have two sets of the plastic pieces, so two kids can work on the puzzles simultaneously.

Pattern Blocks

Counting Bears in 3 sizes

Letter Tiles

puzzibits

Pop Beads

and then MUS blocks, legos, and our new favorite are the foam cubes, cylinders and pyramids from the $1.00 spot at Target. (teacher tools out now!)

And fyi for anyone looking for Mighty Mind sets, I have seen them recently at our local TJMaxx, so you might check the toy dept. there if you have one in your area.

My dd's favorite ones from the past 2 years are: colored bears & cups and printouts of patterns to follow; lacing cards; pattern blocks & printed out patterns to follow; dominoes; geo-board with rubberbands; and balance scale.

Kelly's Kindergarten has printouts for the colored bears and the pattern blocks.

I got so many ideas from the 1+1+1=1 blog - I especially loved her Tot Trays. She has a TON of ideas for keeping little ones entertained.

The dollar spot at Target right now has foam cubes - I picked up 3 packages (one cubes, one pyramids, one balls) for $1 each this past week. Bright colors, thick foam, and hopefully some quiet playtime for my 4yo!

Shelly

I got those too (my son picked up a package of the balls in the store and would not let go, drawing my attention to them)! Just trying to figure out what to do with them now :)

I'll put in another vote for both a geoboard and rubberbands (we made our own homemade geoboard- well, my husband did. I just showed him a pattern and asked him to lol), and for pattern blocks.

My 4 year old enjoys both of those things.

P.S. You can google "how to make your own geoboard" and find a few different ones that are pretty easy to make.

Use whatever minipulatives you will be using in K. Let them play with them and understand them and bond with them. My 3rd child hauled cuisenaire rods in dump trucks, built towers with them, made roads with them for years before he actually started math. When he did start math with them the values and sizes and understanding of them were with him deeply. It was almost like taking friends to math class! We loved Miquion.

The favorite at our house was the Tall-Stacker Pegs Building Set from Lauri. Ds spent hours upon hours building with this. Like pp's said, we also got lots of mileage from unifix cubes, cuisenaire rods, and simple colored square tiles. Oh, and don't forget dominos. We have a set of double 12 that allows lots of number matching and allows for larger buildings.

You've already been given several of our favorites (pattern blocks, counting bears, geo boards, unifix cubes...) I am a former preschool teacher and we used all of those things in our classroom. Other manips include tangrams (pattern blocks & tangrams also have activity books/cards that can be used with them). File Folder games are fabulous - a google search will give you tons of ideas. Puzzles are good. Another favorite were "Treasure Boxes". These are small containers of the same size (think ziplock) with various items that can be used for counting, sorting, patterning, etc. One box might have buttons (someone mentioned those already), another might contain colored paper clips, or linking shapes, pop beads, keys....pretty much anything you can think of can be a manipulative.

Another thing I used with my son is called Funtastic Frogs. There are different colored plastic frogs that accompany a workbook for learning patterning and number relationships.

This is a great stage! Have lots of fun!

Lauri ABC puzzles and other toys by Lauri

Jumbo Stacking Pegs

Toy trains/cars

Puzzles

Wooden lacing beads

Large bowl of rice or pasta with spoons, cups, toys, etc. in it

Playdoh

Clay

Quercetti Fantacolor Junior!!

Beans in a bowl with spoon the transfer to another bowl