Menu

Approximately how much money do you waste every year?

sassenach

How much money washes down the drain each year?  

1. 1. How much money washes down the drain each year?

• $0- I'm that good
    • $1-25- small mishaps along the way
    • $25-100- it's bound to happen.
    • $100-200- but I really thought this one was different!
    • $200+ oops!

I was just thinking about my purchases gone wrong over the years and wondering just how common it is. So how much money to you spend yearly on educational items that either fail spectacularly or don't make it off the shelf? This includes the ones that you intend on starting year after year, after year, after year.

Poll to follow!

I was just thinking about this today and was wanting to ask the same question of others here. I answered $25-$100 in the poll, but for me it varies. It seems like the more money I have available to spend, the more I end up wasting. In the lean years when dh was unemployed/under employed, I didn't waste anything, but I bought very little curriculum...just what I HAD to have to cover the basics.

Susan in TX

I chose $25-$100, but I don't really know/keep track that well. I know for K year, I bought the entire Math Mammoth Light Blue Series and that flopped. So that was in the $30's.

This last year, I can't think of any actual curriculum that flopped or never made it off the shelf. We didn't spend much on curriculum and there was some that we were going to do but will be doing this next year. There are quite a few books I bought to go along with some units we never got to. But I don't really count those as washed down the drain because they are books. They'll get used and read by someone at some point. :)

Oooh, interesting. We just finished our first year, so I can't really comment, since one year doesn't really make a pattern. However, I will say that we are ditching SWR, which we bought for $100. I'll still use the rule cards, though, so $10 or $15 of that doesn't count as wasted. We also did not use the MBTP 5-7 Change concept. I think that was $40 (got part of it used) + however much the books were. The books don't count, though, since we can always use books, and we're keeping them. So about $125 maybe? Hopefully I'll do better now that I know more about what her likes and dislikes are and how she learns. :)

I have wasted a tremendous amount of money in the past with boxed curriculum, etc because I really thought that I needed the help scheduling and laying it all out. Hundreds of dollars wasted. This year, I took a different approach. I am using the library/internet extensively for a program I laid out myself. I got a few books from Amazon and many from Paperback swap. I have stopped listening to so much advice and am relying on my own instincts more. Already, the year is shaping up to be our best yet. I have spent very little thus far this year.

Usually the mistakes come from impulse buys at used book sales and conferences. Which is why I didn't go to any this year, and also why I have spent less than $100 for new curricula this year.

I've also found that I spend less in general, and make fewer mistakes as the years go by. I know what worked with the oldes, so I don't need to buy all new for the next one, and also I have a feel for our style, so the new things I try suit our style more.

Guest aquiverfull

This is a timely poll. :P Normally, there is something each year that doesn't work out, but we give it a try. It's usually not that much money lost. I do lots of research in advance and usually end up using what we buy. This year has been my worst year yet. I've changed my mind on many of the things I originally bought and am still changing my mind. I do feel guilty about it. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in wasting money.

So far for this next year I have wasted about $50+. I get caught up in the "oh that looks good I have to have it". I am trying so hard not to do it anymore, but gosh sometimes it is hard not to.

Now over the last few years I have wasted thousands of dollars of stuff I never used, would not work for us, was unable to resale and gave away. That doesn't include the ones I have gotten but was able to get my money back.

I chose $100-$200. Our first year I wasted a ton of money. I ended up ditching our curriculum and going with Sonight two months in to the year. Last year was much less of a loss. I'm hoping I did good this year though. I end up buying too much that we just can't get to it all in time.

Hmm, technically I don't know if I "waste" too much. I buy ALOT used, and tend to resell it for very close to what I paid, even if I did not end up using it. I don't think I have ever bought something new and it didn't work for us...so no waste there.

Although last year I did buy 1st and K HOP, both of which are flops, (1st got opened and put away in the same day, bought K, used it a month, and realized it wasn't clicking in his brain). So yeah, that is waste, and selling at loss currently.

My biggest foreseeable problem is having to re-purchase. Now that DS7 is getting older, there are a few curriculums I bought for DS12 that I can forsee using again (most not, because they are very different learners), BUT end up selling cuz I need the $$$ to purchase this year's curriculum. I have sold Apologia's Astronomy and Swimming Creatures, both books I LOVED and would totally use again with DS7 and DS4....but couldn't have sitting there for 1-3 years, so sold. Writing Tales Lve 1, loved it for older DS....and could've worked for younger DS's, but sold and will probably end up going through all WWE levels (own Lev 1 already, and kept that)...but if I didn't HAVE to sell WT1...totally could have used it.

So my biggest waste currently is probably just selling knowing that I will probably have to repurchase in the future :(.

One of the options should have been, "La,la, la! I'm not listening!" :glare:

I'm actually not entirely sure.

If you count the books I get for me, "It's a great reference!" or the books I get when on sale, "But it's the Oxford Medieval Series! These'll be great for middle school!", then I don't want to know how much goes.

If you limit it to actual curriculum, then I'm very good! (Bought Spelling Workout for this year but then we switched to AAS towards the end of last year and we just won't use SWO.)

Each year less and less. I would say about 50-100. I have some really good homeschooling cyber moms and we mail our curriculum to each other so the other can get a look at something before purchasing. We insure our packages and so far, so good! This has been an excellent way not to overspend, and yes, while you are spending on shipping and insuring, you are saving a lot more on curriculum that flops and you have to practically give away at selling time.

Like some of the other posters mentioned. Each year you sort of get more settled on what you know will work and what you know won't. And each year I make a real commitment to the curriculum I buy. In other words, we try, rilly, rilly try, to make everything fit us and work. Only in the case of extreme tears and frustration will we consider going for a different curriculum.

It seems like the more money I have available to spend, the more I end up wasting.

:iagree:

Usually the mistakes come from impulse buys at used book sales and conferences.

on the off chance that my husband will read this thread, I refuse to answer!

:lol::lol:

As the years go by I'm doing better. Also, making myself wait a week before buying something I think will be really cool has helped me avoid impulse buys that sound great and then don't work for us in practice.

I voted $25-100. I usually pick up several picture or chapter books to read and never get around to it. We've also been working on the same Artpac 1s for a few years now. :blush: I guess it hasn't been a complete waste. :lol:

I'm really glad I looked at my shelves before placing my order this year...I almost re-bought a few chapter books that I'd forgotten about. :blush: We switched to HOD and I stuck to their list, so we'll be using it all...I hope. ;)

Usually the mistakes come from impulse buys at used book sales and conferences. Which is why I didn't go to any this year, and also why I have spent less than $100 for new curricula this year.

I've also found that I spend less in general, and make fewer mistakes as the years go by. I know what worked with the oldes, so I don't need to buy all new for the next one, and also I have a feel for our style, so the new things I try suit our style more.

:iagree: That's me completely. Used sales aren't even worth it for me, because I almost always buy something on impulse that never gets used. The RR booth at the convention does the same thing to me.

Over the years of homeschooling, I've decided that no program, used or unused, is a waste. It's all a learning experience. (Thomas Edison: I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.)

But I answered $25 - $100 because I waste money on POSTAGE! Inevitably, I eat postage costs in a big way in an effort to sell curriculum. I decide I want $25 for something, ask for $30 and end up spending $7 or so in shipping costs (envelope or box, actual postage, and time/effort to get to the post office). It doesn't seem like much, but the last time I sold stuff, I spent twice as much on postage than I originally estimated. It would have made more sense to drop the books off at Good Will. :(

Guest aquiverfull
Over the years of homeschooling, I've decided that no program, used or unused, is a waste. It's all a learning experience. (Thomas Edison: I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.)

But I answered $25 - $100 because I waste money on POSTAGE! Inevitably, I eat postage costs in a big way in an effort to sell curriculum. I decide I want $25 for something, ask for $30 and end up spending $7 or so in shipping costs (envelope or box, actual postage, and time/effort to get to the post office). It doesn't seem like much, but the last time I sold stuff, I spent twice as much on postage than I originally estimated. It would have made more sense to drop the books off at Good Will. :(

Love the Thomas Edison quote. :D

I agree with the postage. It's so expensive to ship curriculum. I've ended up not making much $$ after shipping costs/paypal fees, etc..

Apparently, it's more than I thought, given the number of things I have on the For Sale board that say "never used." Ugh.

I know how that is. I don't look at it as a waste though, since I can always resell. There are also things that I've purchased for one child and it didn't work, but I can see how it might work better for my younger ones coming up the ranks, so that isn't a waste either. Maybe just not the best use of $$ for the time being!

I don't think *all* unused curric should count as "wasted" $. *You* learn something from most of the stuff you buy. I count the stuff I don't use (but read, although not nec *thoroughly*) as "teacher education."

We barely used MUS, but gosh, that guy has a lot to teach about *how* to teach math. I've got his ideas floating around in my head now, along w/ the Miquon, Saxon (mostly what I *don't* want to do), & Singapore.

Plus, if you can resell the items you don't use, that's a REALLY great deal on keeping your skills up-to-date. :001_smile:

• 3 weeks later...
I was just thinking about my purchases gone wrong over the years and wondering just how common it is. So how much money to you spend yearly on educational items that either fail spectacularly or don't make it off the shelf? This includes the ones that you intend on starting year after year, after year, after year.

Poll to follow!

I am a researcher, so not much goes down the drain. Even if I don't like it I can generally make use of it.

For example there was the year my oldest fell in love with RS4K Chemistry, I bought it and the Kogs. It fell flat. I sold the Kogs loosing about 25% there, and was able to buy a couple of DK books to add to the base program making a full schedule that would work for her. Basically I only lost the 25% on the KOGS. But I don't have that sort of issue every year. Most of the time I re-use stuff I already have or already knows works for us with nothing wasted.

I chose $1-25, as an average of the years.

Heather