Menu

Whatcha reading?

I'm reading "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking, alongside of which I'm also re-reading "Introducing Relativity" by Bruce Bassett because Hawking leaves many gaps when he discusses relativity. The Bassett book is probably the most understandable book dealing with relativity, quantum theory and just really all the major points of current cosmological physics that I've ever read.

Somehow I'm in the middle of four books:

Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey

Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher by Richard P. Feynman (not my definition of easy)

Murder on the Appian Way by ?

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

I just finished Cannery Row (my first Steinbeck) which was a fun and easy read.

Oh, and reading Summer of the Monkeys to the kids.

I loved Summer of the Monkeys and am wanting to read Six Easy Pieces.

"Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone" by Martin Dugard

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Africa-Adventures-Stanley-Livingstone/dp/0767910745/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208049207&sr=1-2

Not too far into it yet, but so far it is really fascinating!

and

"Helen of Troy" by Margaret George

http://www.amazon.com/Helen-Troy-Margaret-George/dp/0143038990/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208049300&sr=1-1

Right now, I'm so peeved at Helen that I've had to put the book down for a few days, lol!

I loved Summer of the Monkeys and am wanting to read Six Easy Pieces.

I loved it as a child too.

Six Easy Pieces is interesting, but it is a challenge for me. (I've never taken physics. When he tells the Cal-Tech freshmen that not all of them are going to understand all of the lectures . . . well, I'm at least a step below them when it comes to knowledge of physics.:lol:)

pride and prejudice, Marley and Me, A mother's Legacy, the joyful homeschooler, and Pocket full of Pinecones (taking me a while to get through this one)

oh, and Ribsey to the dc.

I guess I am sorta ADD when it comes to reading, i cant just read one book...I am scatter brained! lol:tongue_smilie:

My reality: :banghead:

Type 1 Diabetes: A guide for Children, Adolescents, Young Adults, and their Caregivers; Everything you need to know to become an expert on your own diabetes. By Ragnar Hanas, MD

Also:

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin. by Gary Scheiner

(By the way, these are both excellent if you need such information! I recommend reading with highlighter in hand.) :thumbup1:

By George Dawson and Richard Glaubman. It's about George Dawson's life. He was born in 1898, the grandson of a slave. He learned to read at age 98. It's a truly uplifting book- this man has a great outlook on life, extremely positive in spite of growing up in the segregated South.

I finished A Wind in the Door last week so I started A Swiftly Tilting Planet today. I am also reading Lincoln: A Photobiography and The Middle Moffat. I am also working my way through the 4th McGuffey reader.

I have a copy of that signed by the author! I love that series.

I'm currently reading a book called "Lamb" and it's a fictional account of the adventures of Jesus and his best friend Biff from age six and up. Here's a link to the book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-4772005-6320169?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Lamb&x=0&y=0

I think it's kind of funny. Historically, it's accurate. I've also read Anne Rice's

"Christ the Lord" http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Lord-Out-Egypt-Novel/dp/0345492730/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207809128&sr=1-2 I like that both authors took up the "missing early years."

Not books for everyone, but I'm really getting a kick out of Lamb - and I really enjoyed the Anne Rice book as well.

Another plug for Lamb here! I read it and LOVED it. I have a solid biblical base so I wasn't offended but I can see where some may not like this. Tread lightly here! I found it to be a great story and very funny.

Ann Rice's wasn't nearly as good for me. I read it but can barely remember it, but that pretty much says what I thought about it. Kind of bland and not terribly memorable. Sorry if I offend there, I hate giving bad book reviews.

Christy

Just began Fat Envelope Frenzy about five students seeking College admission to Harvard.

For my book group, we're reading Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb. It takes place, in part, in Ethiopia where one of our members is currently doing a term abroad in an Ethiopian orphanage.

Regards,

Kareni

Currently on my night stand:

The Edwardian Lady " The story of Edith Holden"

A Charlotte Mason Companion by Andreola

Square foot gardening

my bible

For homeschool

Just began Les Miserables

Reading the little house series to RyLee

Bible daily

Daily walk bible

and Luke w/ RyLee

pride and prejudice, Marley and Me, A mother's Legacy, the joyful homeschooler, and Pocket full of Pinecones (taking me a while to get through this one)

oh, and Ribsey to the dc.

I guess I am sorta ADD when it comes to reading, i cant just read one book...I am scatter brained! lol:tongue_smilie:

My kids received the children's audio version for Christmas and I remember hearing them laughing aloud at parts, and of course crying at others.

This is a story most dog owners could appreciate.

but I failed to fulfill it, LOL.

I'm currently reading Eldest, The War of the Worlds, Pride and Prejudice, The Princess Bride, Peter and the Starcatchers, and Inkspell.

There are just too many books I want to read, and life is short, hence the juggling act.

for myself:

See, I Told Me So, a compilation of articles of encouragement by homeschool moms. I got it as an ebook about 2 years ago, finally reading it.

Deconstructing Penguings: Parents, Kids and the Bond of Reading by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone

The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A. J. Jacobs

The Last Girls by Lee Smith (my beach read)

I'm about a third of the way through The Mill on the Floss and halfway done a manuscript from a friend. The Mill on the Floss contains some interesting thoughts from the author about the universal suitability of classical education. Poor Tom Tulliver probably couldn't be less suited for it, and I feel for the poor child while reading about his lessons and seeing all that is good and right and competent in him getting sidelined. I'm also plugging away through Liza Picard's books on London; I've made it to Victorian London... yay me. :)

Jeanne - I was amazed the first time I read the book, too! It is soooo different from the movie. My grandma loved the book too. My mom's name is Bonnie Blue. :lol:

I'm currently reading a book called "Lamb" and it's a fictional account of the adventures of Jesus and his best friend Biff from age six and up. Here's a link to the book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-4772005-6320169?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Lamb&x=0&y=0

I think it's kind of funny. Historically, it's accurate. I've also read Anne Rice's

"Christ the Lord" http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Lord-Out-Egypt-Novel/dp/0345492730/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207809128&sr=1-2 I like that both authors took up the "missing early years."

Not books for everyone, but I'm really getting a kick out of Lamb - and I really enjoyed the Anne Rice book as well.

Lamb is one of my absolute favorite books. Actually all of Christopher Moore's books are good - hysterical as a matter of fact.

I did not care of Anne Rice's book. I like most of her other books...but there was something about this one I just didn't like. There is a sequel that is either coming soon or was just released.

I am reading the highly irreverent "I hope they serve beer in Hell" by Tucker Max.