Menu

Ok, this needs to STOP!!

I have figured that thus far, joining this forum has cost me between $500 and $800. Thus far. I have been homeschooling for 16 years this fall. I know ALL about curriculum, methods, philosophies, etc. I don't need any more curriculum recommendations. I GIVE them. And, yet.......somehow you all have managed to "post" me into spending money on all kinds of stuff!! :lol:

I have now thrown my DS's math program over for MM. But wait....now I'm intrigued by MEP. :glare:

I ordered 3 LOF books last month for DD.

Today, I just learned about another series of history books that I think I am going to "need".

And, I'm not EVEN going to get started on MCT. :glare:

I'm also pretty sure that Jeff Bezos from Amazon is going to show up at my door, reward in hand, because I single-handedly saved his company from the effects of this recession through my spending alone. And, pathetically, I'm hoping he brings a bunch of Amazon gift certificates. :lol:

I have NO. SELF. CONTROL. And, you people need to stop this now. Please???

Off to phone WP and order more curriculum.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

curriculum junkie

Haha! And here I thought *I* was single handedly keeping Amazon from folding. I swear if it weren't for the military community overseas Amazon would have folded. Every time I go pick up our mail there a shelves full of packages with the little Amazon swoop on them. I'm impatiently waiting for the books I ordered to go along with History Odyssey to show up.

What WP program are you going to do? We did CATW this year and loved it. I was going to do S&S this year until I came to this board and started reading TWTM. Gah!

Haha! And here I thought *I* was single handedly keeping Amazon from folding. I swear if it weren't for the military community overseas Amazon would have folded. Every time I go pick up our mail there a shelves full of packages with the little Amazon swoop on them. I'm impatiently waiting for the books I ordered to go along with History Odyssey to show up.

What WP program are you going to do? We did CATW this year and loved it. I was going to do S&S this year until I came to this board and started reading TWTM. Gah!

I'm doing "American Story I" with my youngest and combining it with the corresponding KONOS units I already own. Because if I just did WP on its own, it would be easy, and I can't have that. :lol: I also love to PLAN curriculum as well as buy it.

I'm also using WP "Animal Worlds", which I already own, as his science for next year. I bought it to use when he was 4 or 5 and it didn't quite work out, so I'm adding the materials for the older learners and giving it another go. Should be a fun year!!

Diane W.

married for 22 years

Because if I just did WP on its own, it would be easy, and I can't have that. :lol: I also love to PLAN curriculum as well as buy it.

It's like you are watching me or something! :)

I always have to add add add and then plan plan plan. And then buy more.:001_huh: Then I have to plan more to add that in. Cuz gee I don't have anything else to do!!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME??

My son is going to go to private school this fall, and I'm still going to buy the next level of MCT (Voyage) and the rest of the LOF series.

How do I justify THAT????

ETA: Well, if school doesn't work out, we're all ready to roll, right?

Julie

Well you could justify the LOF as simply educational reading. A friend came by the other week and picked up my son's LOF Advanced Algebra book. He spent the entire night reading it and laughing. He was going out to buy his own because he liked it so much.

I'm also pretty sure that Jeff Bezos from Amazon is going to show up at my door, reward in hand, because I single-handedly saved his company from the effects of this recession through my spending alone. And, pathetically, I'm hoping he brings a bunch of Amazon gift certificates. :lol:

Back when Amazon was a smaller, newer company I lived in Germany. I ordered everything I could from Amazon. I received free amazon sticky notes and coffee mugs!! Too bad they don't still do that.

For me, I think it balances out in the end. For everything I buy, there's at least one thing I was considering that I choose NOT to because of something I read here. There are plenty of things that are appealing when I see them in a catalog that once I start reading about them here I realize they don't work for my family's needs.

I have figured that thus far, joining this forum has cost me between $500 and $800. Thus far. I have been homeschooling for 16 years this fall. I know ALL about curriculum, methods, philosophies, etc. I don't need any more curriculum recommendations. I GIVE them. And, yet.......somehow you all have managed to "post" me into spending money on all kinds of stuff!! :lol:

I have now thrown my DS's math program over for MM. But wait....now I'm intrigued by MEP. :glare:

I ordered 3 LOF books last month for DD.

Today, I just learned about another series of history books that I think I am going to "need".

And, I'm not EVEN going to get started on MCT. :glare:

I have NO. SELF. CONTROL. And, you people need to stop this now. Please???

Off to phone WP and order more curriculum.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

curriculum junkie

BTDT. I have gotten to where I don't read 'those kinds of posts':D unless I am looking for something. I have finally pretty much gotten all the extra stuff sold and off my shelves.

It's like you are watching me or something! :)

I always have to add add add and then plan plan plan. And then buy more.:001_huh: Then I have to plan more to add that in. Cuz gee I don't have anything else to do!!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME??

Oh, good. So, I'm not the only one who takes all the very well organized teacher's manuals that come with the curriculum and transcribes them to ANOTHER planner to add even more stuff and more subjects and more references, cross-references, library notes, video recommendations, read-alouds, etc., etc., ad nauseum???? :lol:

Or, opens my brand new curriculum on box day, spreads it all out on my living room floor and rolls around in it??? :w00t:

Or, as my husband said when he saw me, planner in hand, eyes glazed over, kitchen table covered in books and laughing maniacally, "I think there's a 12-step program for that. Maybe you ought to look into it." :blink: What? And ruin all my fun????

Diane W.

married for 22 years

It's not just books & curriculum either. I've recently been buying tools & lumber since someone here reminded me I like to build things. (Oh, and have since whipped up a bunny cage, and acquired a pet rabbit for dd.)

Today, I bought two cutco knives from my nephew who just started selling them.

$500 - $800? You got off easy! :lol:

Well, whatever you do, do not open the TC Great Courses thread...

I did.

70% off.

:svengo:

Oh, crud. 70% off??? Seriously?? I would LOVE some of those for my 16 yo dd!! I am in serious trouble. :glare: Again.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

Oh, crud. 70% off??? Seriously?? I would LOVE some of those for my 16 yo dd!! I am in serious trouble. :glare: Again.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

Don't worry, they always have something 70% off. They rotate their sale stock so that everything goes on sale at least once a year. ;)

Oh, good. So, I'm not the only one who takes all the very well organized teacher's manuals that come with the curriculum and transcribes them to ANOTHER planner to add even more stuff and more subjects and more references, cross-references, library notes, video recommendations, read-alouds, etc., etc., ad nauseum???? :lol:

What type of planner do you use? I'm finding myself doing this now and really need a simpler system! Right now, I'm printing my own planning pages, but am always looking at how other people do it.

Thanks!

Kim

What type of planner do you use? I'm finding myself doing this now and really need a simpler system! Right now, I'm printing my own planning pages, but am always looking at how other people do it.

Thanks!

Kim

I just go to our regular school supply store and get one of the bigger ones they sell. That way I can fit both of my kids' schedules across a 2 page spread and have plenty of room to write notes as well. I've tried homeschool planners in the past, but they haven't worked as well as the regular classroom ones do.

Here's an example from Amazon, and one I've used in the past. It really is big, but it works!!

http://www.amazon.com/THE-ULTIMATE-TEACHERS-PLAN-BOOK/dp/B000FA1KTK/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1276267370&sr=8-15

Well you could justify the LOF as simply educational reading. A friend came by the other week and picked up my son's LOF Advanced Algebra book. He spent the entire night reading it and laughing. He was going out to buy his own because he liked it so much.

Along with math?

How did I miss this?