Menu

Do you think we mess up our kids with all the curriculum changing?

The title kind of says it all. I've been reading through the posts and like me, people seem to switch up curriculum fairly often. Do you think it messes with our kids heads when we do that? I mean it's fun for me to try new curriculum, but I'm not in school any more, Indy is and I wonder if I confuse him with the changes. Should we be more concerned with stability and continuity if we find something that works?

I have a few streams of thought on this, having homeschooled my kiddos since 1997....

In the skills area, which would be the 3 r's I think it's important to stick with a METHOD that's working. For instance, SM and MM are supposed to teach math concepts in a similar fashion. Switching to one or the other of those will give the kiddo a continuity, and even some variety in learning those skills. Also, lots of folks use a couple different METHODS simultaneously (not either/or) to reap the benefits of each. Some kids respond well to this, others get overwhelmed, so like most everything it's gonna depend on the kid.

I think the problem (at least in our family) is finding that perfect fit without having to try tons of methods. For instance, having struggled thru several phonics programs trying to teach one of my sons to read, I FINALLY realized the phonics METHOD was wrong for him. When we switched to a more whole-to-parts method, he took off. Now we're going back and working the the 'parts', ie: spelling ;)

In the content areas, I don't think switching programs is a problem. I used all manner of history and science curricula with my now-adult kids, and there were never gaps. We did use literature/historical novels/library non-fiction throughout, though.

Great question. I will say, constantly switching curricula is what makes homeschooling expensive....:D

I definitely feel I can get better results if I am consistent with the basics, particularly math. However, I agree with the other poster who said she changed schools 5 times and did fine. I certainly didn't use the same math program all through school and I didn't have any trouble.

I think as homeschoolers we do have an advantage in being able to tailor things specifically to our children and if we find the right match, they have the opportunity to reach a higher level and do better than they might have otherwise. But, I do think that for most kids, all will be well in the end whatever we use as long as we are consistently working with them.

Lisa

Yes, I do think we can over switch and mess up our dc. Constant switching can really cause gaps, mostly b/c what curricula A focuses on for reading may differ from curricula B, so when you switch, you may miss solid reinforcement on a different topic. Programs expect that you've completed their prior materials, so their approach will focus more heavily on new topics, while reviewing old ones. If you never really focused on the "old one" then you'll either have a gap or a weak spot and a weak spot is not always easy to detect, particularly for a novice teacher. We want author's to build on previous editions/levels, but what Author A likes, Author B may approach differently,so I truly caution all the unnecessary switching.

I do agree on finding the correct approach for your child.

Using the same quality program from start to finish does ensure you're covering everything. You don't know that if you're jumping around.

I struggled through gaps with my eldest son's language arts education. I will never do that again.

I am now filling in gaps with dd10's in math b/c I switched programs unnecessarily and now I'm irritated to the extreme b/c she was doing fine where she was and I switched...we're heading right back and I wasted 1.5 years on something else. Even though she was making excellent marks, overall, she did not gain knowledge, grow in her ability or retain much from our second try. I wasted 1.5 years for her and I've done her an injustice.

Seriously, if it ain't broke, don't change. There is no reason to.

I will agree there are so many excellent history or science choices that it may seem like it won't matter if you change, but I can say, our home has understand the continuity of history better than ever since we've stuck to one program. Simply as the program carries us forward, we learn to make connections. When you have used several programs , the connections don't necessarily stick b/c each year those connections seem unfamiliar.

Finally, I think all the options allow us to jump ship too soon. We want everything to be so easy, and b/c there are so many options, we'll keep looking until it's easiest...easiest isn't always best (I don't mean in regards to learning style, but teaching requirement). I tried easiest a lot as a new teacher, so I get how wonderful easy can be, but I'll say this much, the programs that draw Me deeper, will carry my children to deeper places, too, and we learn so much more when I am being challenged as a teacher b/c *I* am thrilled when I have my own lightbulb moments and that enthusiasm passes on to the dc. Stick it out every now and then and give it a try. I am thankful for the first couple years of easy b/c it gave me confidence, but if I'm being honest, the not as easy materials have been of much higher quality and above all, they've made me a much better teacher. It's nice to grow in my trade.

Just my 2 cents as someone who went through the muck of gaps b/c I was a switcher and missed out on several little tiny pieces as a result.

Great post!

I also think switching without a true *need* for a switch wastes my time and energy.

What I mean is...OK - I was gonna be cryptic - but let's just make it real....I haven't had much time to be online lately due to health issues. So, yesterday, I come online and read about TOG. I know all about TOG already. I've printed out TOG samples 3-4 times in the past 5 years. I already know it's not gonna work for me next year. I have three kids on three completely different levels, (going into TOG Year 2 - not the best year to start TOG), a brand-new part-time position (not paid) in my DH's business, these weird health issues going on, and a huge need for pre-planned lessons AND $1000 WORTH OF BRAND-NEW, JUST ORDERED, MFW CURRICULUM SITTING IN THE CORNER OF MY DINING ROOM!!!!!

So what did *I* do from 10pm to midnight last night? Lie in bed and think of, "Boy, did I *really* give TOG a good think through before I shot it down?! Did I pray about it? Did I listen?" Well...HELLO!...of course I did!!! LOL

Now, my issue this week was history and literature, where gaps aren't that important. But, the same thing happens in math and writing and every other subject as well. I tend to have *good* reasons for the curriculum I choose. I just tend to forget what those reasons are in the midst of real life.

One thing I've found helpful is to right down my "goal" - my reason for choosing the curriculum I've chosen for each child. What was it that prompted me to choose that particular curriculum? Then, if later I feel the urge to change, I can go back and be more objective and decide if the curriculum is meeting that need. (I tend to make emotional decisions when there is a problem - "OH, I should switch and make this problem go away!", and having a written list of what I expect from the curriculum has greatly curbed that tendency!)

I don't know what that has to do with anything ~ but maybe it will save someone some money someday - LOL!

Edited by Rhondabee

I am personally resistant to change so I tend to err on the side of trying to make a bad curriculum fit work for my kids when it doesn't. So the only changes I have made (in language arts) have been after much struggle, thought and research, and they were very beneficial.

I do read a lot of threads about wonderful programs which sound great and like a good fit for us, but I have to remind myself that what we have is working well for us, I am familiar with it, the kids are familiar with it, etc...and this keeps my wandering eye in check.:tongue_smilie:Oh, and there is the money, too. If I had an unlimited budget, I might be a bit more dangerous.:tongue_smilie:

Guest aquiverfull

I completely agree with Tina. I've experienced the same things with my oldest dd (that I homeschool) and I also feel like I've done her an injustice with all the swapping back and forth. We have the gaps Tina mentioned, and now I'm having to try to fill those in....what a mess! I'm really hoping that I can be more consistent with my younger children.

I believe it's especially important to stick with the same publisher in Math and Language Arts if at all possible. Science and History seem like they'd be more flexible. It's mostly time periods being studied that are changing with History, and since many curricula seem to use a lot of the same books, I think you could get away with less gaps from switching in History than you would with something like Math.

With my oldest being in public school, I've had the opportunity to see just how much switching they do. Her textbooks from year to year have all been different publishers. So even the public schools switch.

Edited by aquiverfull

Ps programs change curriculum frequently, too-even when what they had was working well. Not to mention that each teacher interprets the curriculum differently, and many use additional materials or substitute parts of the curriculum entirely when they find the adopted curriculum doesn't suit their kids. I'm thinking of one school where the 2nd grade teachers discovered that the kids were coming out of 1st grade completely unable to add/subtract, therefore really couldn't progress in the 2nd grade teacher. Every single teacher had a different way of remediating-one used Touch Math, another C-rods, another snap cubes, another had her kids singing their facts, and so on. I'm SURE there were kids in each group who didn't need remediation and ones for whom a different teacher's approach would have been better.

At least when we change curriculum it's with our specific child in mind.

Hi,

IMHO, I feel changing curriculum because it is a bad fit for your child will not mess them up. We've had to do this & I feel it's just part of homeschooling (as you figure out what works best). However, constant changing of curriculum because you're getting sucked into the "latest & greatest" fad does probably have it's own consequences over time. I can think of several negatives that could surface if it was an ongoing thing.

Susan

Hi,

IMHO, I feel changing curriculum because it is a bad fit for your child will not mess them up. We've had to do this & I feel it's just part of homeschooling (as you figure out what works best). However, constant changing of curriculum because you're getting sucked into the "latest & greatest" fad does probably have it's own consequences over time. I can think of several negatives that could surface if it was an ongoing thing.

Susan

:iagree:

The title kind of says it all. I've been reading through the posts and like me, people seem to switch up curriculum fairly often. Do you think it messes with our kids heads when we do that? I mean it's fun for me to try new curriculum, but I'm not in school any more, Indy is and I wonder if I confuse him with the changes. Should we be more concerned with stability and continuity if we find something that works?

Nah...we learn something from everything. Schools do it ALL THE TIME! They switch gears and movce on to try something new. I try to stay with math..but switch grammar programs all the time...from workbooks, to text books and back again...We need the change to keep it interesting. I get bored...they get bored.

Continut=ity is great if it is working and everyone is happy...if not...achange can be healthy and beneficial...even if it just means you find out you were happy with what you had ans switch back. :D

Faithe

Hi,

Susan

In theory I agree with you. But when someone posts that her 6yo "struggling" reader has been through 5 different phonics methods already, I just can't help but think that the dc didn't get to use one thing long enough for it to click, KWIM?

I have done a lot of switching for my youngest because it is hard to figure out what programs will be a good fit for her and she has to have a good fit. My other two are visual learners like me, so pretty much anything that appeals to me will work for them.

My oldest had only two math programs that didn't work for her at all - MUS in 1st grade and YourTeacher in 9th for geometry. Aside from that, the programs that looked good to me worked very well for her - Miquon followed by Singapore 3A-6B, Jacobs Algebra, Jacobs Geometry, Kinetic Books Algebra II, Larson's Precalculus.

My middle dd hasn't had any programs that didn't work for her at all. She used two programs for algebra for one year until she figured out that one worked better for her, but the other would have worked too. She did Miquon followed by Singapore 3A-6B, Jacobs Algebra and Kinetic Books Algebra I (dropped Jacobs later on), Jacobs Geometry, Kinetic Books Algebra II.

My youngest has been all over the place in math. Miquon didn't work for her at all. Singapore worked great from 1A-2B, but fell apart for her in 3A. We spent one year trying out Professor B, Moving with Math, MathSteps, and CLE math, none of which worked very well for her (although MWM was definitely the best of the bunch). Then my dd asked to go back to Singapore. She placed into 4A and did great all the way up until 5A, where she started to have problems again. I tried adding in Key to Fractions and Key to Decimals so we could keep going with Singapore, but we had to abandon Singapore again at the end of 5B. Now she's working through Key to Fractions, Key to Decimals, Key to Percents, and Key to Algebra. This approach (especially working from a different series each day) has worked out pretty well for her.

I've kept math consistent through our three years of homeschooling, but that is because I found something that worked well for both of us early on. I haven't stressed about changing grammar programs (from GWG to CLE with a sprinkling of MCT) because, in my opinion, she's still young for formal grammar. What she gets now will be pegs for her older years. I agree that it is important to give materials time, but sometimes something is so obviously a disaster for a particular child that it takes very little time to discover that.

I think the stem of this change is more often fear than fad. We've undertaken the education of our children, and at any sign of struggle there is fear that we are not using the "best" material for them. The truth is learning often involves struggle, so struggle is not necessarily cause for change. It's hard to decipher sometimes, though, when change would be beneficial or when it's best to stick to it. Also, the wealth of resources available to us now can be extremely distracting and overwhelming.

For me, I have an incredibly difficult time choosing--what we'll use for Latin, for history, for science, for art, etc. Once I FINALLY make my decision, I am generally very satisfied and happy with the result. I agonize SO much during the research phase, though.

In theory I agree with you. But when someone posts that her 6yo "struggling" reader has been through 5 different phonics methods already, I just can't help but think that the dc didn't get to use one thing long enough for it to click, KWIM?

Yes, I totally agree with you. In a situation like that though, I'd imagine it has more to do with the mother freaking out a little, more-so than the child truly not benefiting from any of the 5 programs, lol. Also, it may just be that the child simply isn't ready to read & therefore nothing is "working". Of course I have to throw out the disclaimer that this isn't true in every situation, but in I'd say it is in most.

Susan

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Hi,

Susan

:iagree:However, with the switch you may need to backtrack to make sure the child isn't left with holes. This is especially true with subjects like math where different curricula follow different sequences.

I wouldn't use the "schools do it all the time" as a reason to do so and not be concerned about how the children are affected. Schools do a lot that isn't in the best interest of the children who attend them.

Yes and no. The defining word is "IF" it is working.

I use a whole bunch of math resources. The continuity comes from ME. We have a flow to our lessons that stays pretty much the same, even though I use Miquon today and Singapore tomorrow and MEP next week. I teach the CHILD, not the PROGRAM. If it disrupted the flow of learning, I would cut what needed to be cut. As it is, my ds7 begins to roll his eyes after seeing the same *format* of math for too long...the constant change (within the same general method) keeps things flowing *for him.*

I think this completely depends on the child and the reasons for switching around. The personality of the mom makes a difference too. I am NOT the box-checker! In fact, I completely rebell of all box-checking....I was the child constantly asking "Why don't we do it THIS way instead??? LOL B/C I know any curric requiring box-checking will be completely tweaked to death, I know I need to find the continuity on our daily habits and flow of the lesson and NOT in the curric itself. (My story is subject change when I've got 3 school-agers and no longer have the time to question the curric writer's choices.:tongue_smilie:)

I am now filling in gaps with dd10's in math b/c I switched programs unnecessarily and now I'm irritated to the extreme b/c she was doing fine where she was and I switched...we're heading right back and I wasted 1.5 years on something else. Even though she was making excellent marks, overall, she did not gain knowledge, grow in her ability or retain much from our second try. I wasted 1.5 years for her and I've done her an injustice.

I'm curious as to why you switched math programs since she was doing fine where she was.

Capt-Uhura

Nah. While I wouldn't change something that is obviously working well (Singapore Math, for example, I've been using for 10 years), I think it's better to match the curriculum to the kid rather than the other way around. Switching curriculum has never hurt my kids. On the contrary, they are happier and work harderwhen they've had some say in the choice. I'm very happy to ditch something that's just okay for something that is a better match. To me, that's part of the fun.

Barb

I'm curious as to why you switched math programs since she was doing fine where she was.

Capt-Uhura

Because I was overzealous! I benefited with one other child using this program, so I thought I'd switch up our math for fun, for a change of pace, for a different format....yeah, not a good idea. I got sucked into my very own flavor of the month syndrome!

I personally have found that what works best for us is to be consistent in the areas of math and grammar. Those areas I don't like switching the core curriculum. I do add a lot of extra though to provide variety and different points of view. Subjects like science and history we like to use lots of different curriculum but we finish what we use.

I think that frequent starting and quitting curriculum choices midstream can be confusing and counterproductive unless the curriculum is hopelessly not working or is objectionable for some reason. I try to avoid this as much as possible and will only do so if even tweeking won't salvage it.

I've tried to limit switching. I do think that changing curriculum, especially maths, should be approached with care.

Laura

That's a hard lesson I've learned, but I'm so glad that I've learned it fairly early. (In our 5th year, with 18 more to go!)