Menu

When you rent a home, do you expect the broiler pan...

"When I rent, I expect the broiler pan will be left with the oven"  

1. 1. "When I rent, I expect the broiler pan will be left with the oven"

• Yes
    • No

to be with the oven?? It came with the oven when we bought the home new. The oven also has a probe attachment, which of course, I'll leave, but what about the broiler pan?

I know this is a WEIRD question, but we're prepping our home to move out and rent, and I'm wondering if I should take the broiler pan with me. I use it ALL the time, and it's a nice heavy enameled pan, not like ones you buy aftermarket.

For those of you who rent, is there generally a broiler pan with the oven?

Well, with a gas oven the broiler sometimes is at the bottom and the pan that came with the oven is the one that fits into the racks there. I consider it part of the oven.

It's an electric oven, and the pan doesn't fit anywhere specifically -- just the pan with removable slitted top. I keep it in the drawer under the oven. (It's a freestanding range.) The oven isn't super high-end, but it isn't bottom of the line either -- it's a 3 year old GE Profile ceramic-top with 5 burners (1 is a warmer, and two of the burners convert into a bridge burner) with convection oven.

It's an electric oven, and doesn't fit anywhere specifically -- just the pan with removable slitted top.

In that case, no, I would not expect the oven to come with a broiler pan. Only if it were like the pp said, a gas stove that has a bottom broiler with a specific pan that fits it.

If you want that one, and it's not stove specific, you could juat get an aftermarket one to leave.

Now why didn't I think of that? That's a good, cheap solution for my Type A brain who wants to make sure this house is a home for our renters...assuming they can't do it for themselves (my DH would say :glare:)

Having rented out a home once upon a time....I would recommend that you keep your broiler pan since you use it so much. If you feel that you "should" leave one with the oven, buy an aftermarket pan that will fit well enough.

lol - I took my nice dishwasher with me! I bought a contractors' model to leave with the house. I left it for my SIL when we moved this last time, but it's still going strong!

Having rented out a home once upon a time....I would recommend that you keep your broiler pan since you use it so much. If you feel that you "should" leave one with the oven, buy an aftermarket pan that will fit well enough.

lol - I took my nice dishwasher with me! I bought a contractors' model to leave with the house. I left it for my SIL when we moved this last time, but it's still going strong!

They can HAVE MY dishwasher! Errrrghhhh. That's another thread. I keep hoping that they ask for our washer/dryer. We're moving to NOVA, and most of the homes have a washer/dryer in them...usually nice front loader, too :) But as DH reminds me, if we left it, and it died, we'd have to buy new ones for the home to replace the ones we left.

Every house I've rented, and there have been many, has always had a broiler pan with the oven. There is no way to tell if the one I end up renting is original to the oven.

And I cart mine with me so I end up with two. Except right now I've got 3. I'm not sure how. :001_huh:

Every house I've rented, and there have been many, has always had a broiler pan with the oven. There is no way to tell if the one I end up renting is original to the oven.

And I cart mine with me so I end up with two. Except right now I've got 3. I'm not sure how. :001_huh:

All of our houses, except the on base house overseas (where the movers pack everything!) has had a broiler pan. I don't know if it was teh original to the stove, but I think of them as being PART of the stove. One came with the stove, one should stay with the stove.

If you like yours so much, buy another to leave with the stove.

Now why didn't I think of that? That's a good, cheap solution for my Type A brain who wants to make sure this house is a home for our renters...assuming they can't do it for themselves (my DH would say :glare:)

:iagree:what a great suggestion!

Well, with a gas oven the broiler sometimes is at the bottom and the pan that came with the oven is the one that fits into the racks there. I consider it part of the oven.

:iagree:If this is the case, then yes, it would be nice to leave it. If any pan will fit in the broiler, then no. I'd take it.

I can honestly say that I don't remember ever having the broiler pan in a rental. Bought my own and toted it with me with each move. Which is why I currently have 3 (the original one I bought and the ones that came with the 2 new ovens over the past 15 years).

I have rented many homes and never did it come with a broiler pan. I do agree if things are left most tenants feel that the last tenants forgot it so they either take it or throw it away. I personally threw away dishes I found in an apartment that I moved into. I will not use stuff if I don't know who used it last and how they cleaned.

Would you leave a cookie sheet too? I wouldn't think anyone would expect any pans, pots, etc to be left unless negotiated in the contract.

Edited by Kissy

When we moved into our rental, there wasn't a broiler pan in the stove. I complained to the landlord and had them provide one. To me, it's a part of the stove.

I bet if we moved and it was not there, they'd charge it against our deposit.

I guess, since we rent, I've made a very concerted effort to report even the smallest things like that to the landlord. They don't mean much to me in day to day living, but they sure seem to mean a lot (in terms of $$$) when we move out :glare:.

If you don't want to leave your nice one, buy another one and leave it in there. I'm sure your tenants will appreciate it.

Guest ToGMom
We're the homeowners. So when the renters left, they might take it with them???

You'd be surprised at what renters will take with them...:glare:

I feel stupid for asking. I thought a broiler pan was something you buy -- like a pot or a pan. Isn't it the thing with a slited top that you cook things on?

Why should something like that come with an oven?

I just googled it and it looks like something that comes with an oven. I had no idea! I thought my husband bought it (the oven was here before I was). So, if I were to look in the instruction manual, which I would also leave with the stove, and see the broiler pan mentioned as part of it, then:

yes, I'd leave the broiler pan.

Edited by nestof3

We're the homeowners. So when the renters left, they might take it with them???

Absolutely do not expect it to be there when they leave. If they don't ruin it, it just dissappears. Sorry, but too many years of experience here.

manuals for furnaces and applicances we carefully left in the house, all dissapeared along with the broiler pans and ice cube trays.