Menu

Pizza w/o cheese recipe

A fake cheese (see recipe following), plenty of homemade pizza sauce, plenty of vegetables, and whatever else you like on pizza.

Pizza Cheese Recipe

Ingredients

• 1 cup water or soymilk
  • 1 tsp soy sauce or Braggs1/4 tsp garlic
  • 1 tsp onion powder or Spike seasoning
  • 1 Tb. tahini
  • 1 Tb lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp smoke flavoring
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 3 Tb ground oats
  • 1 Tb cornstarch
  • 1 Tb flour
  • sprinkle of dry mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1/4 tsp. tumeric (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 Tb. olive oil

Directions

1. Mix cool water or soymilk in a large cup with the flour and cornstarch until smooth.
  2. Put water mixture into a saucepan and begin heating on medium heat.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the olive oil.
  4. Continue heating and stirring until mixture thickens to desired consistency.
  5. Stir in the olive oil until fully incorporated.
  6. Spoon over pizza and heat according to your pizza recipe.

Caramelized onions (slice thin, then cook them down and down and down with a little apple cider vinegar and a few drops of honey) spread on whole grain pizza dough, then topped with roasted red peppers, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, or any other veggies...

Caramelized onions (slice thin, then cook them down and down and down with a little apple cider vinegar and a few drops of honey) spread on whole grain pizza dough, then topped with roasted red peppers, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, or any other veggies...

That sounds yummy!!! I think I will make one like this tonight with the others I had planned.

I make one pizza using sheep cheese rather than cow cheese, and that solves our problem. My favorite for this is Pecorino Romano. It is definately not the same as a traditional pizza, but it is really yummy with some great basil and oregano.

The other thing we do is make focaccia bread, topped with basil, oregano, garlic, and sliced fresh tomato, and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.

We have always made pizza without cheese. I just make whatever type of pizza we are having, and leave the cheese off all but dh's portion. Yes, it is messy and toppings fall off left and right! :tongue_smilie: It is still yummy though.

We do this even with Papa Murphy's pizza. We will get a pizza half with cheese, half without cheese. We don't have trouble with toppings falling off though - perhaps there is more tomato sauce to make it all stick?

My ds cannot have cheese or milk products. He prefers his pizza with lots of Italian sausage.

I have also really enjoyed cheeseless veggie pizza. More sauce does help everything from drying out. Another option is to saute before topping.

My favorite cheeseless thus far has been eggplant--I put a thick layer of rounds over thick sauce, then brushed the eggplant with olive oil and sprinkled with garlic salt. It would most likely have been even tastier if I had first spread roasted garlic on the crust, then add the sauce, then the eggplant. I didn't have any roasted garlic, though, so defaulted to garlic salt.

My husband and daughter are both allergic to tomatoes and cheese. That is a real bummer because we LOVE pizza! I have been experimenting with substitutes, and what we use now instead of tomato sauce (at least on THEIR half :) is pureed black beans. Instead of cheese, LOTS of toppings -- artichoke hearts, chopped green onions, fresh basil leaves, garlic, olive oil. It's probably not really pizza anymore, but we still call it that. :-)

Ds1 can't have dairy or soy (or gluten).

I usually make a hummus pizza for him that he loves. I just spread hummus on it and top with lots of different veggies (onions, green, yellow, red, orange bell peppers, olives, etc).

Otherwise, I just use tomato sauce and top with lots of veggies, sometimes ground beef or Italian sausage.

I have a "cheese" sprinkle that I use a lot for pasta and sometimes use with the pizza. It's called Parma! by Eat Raw.

My vegetarians make it with pizza sauce and toppings, and herb oil like fococcia bread or with pesto and tomatoes and probably a few other combinations I can't think of. They are very creative with pizza toppings. I believe that they have also used alfredo sauce instead of pizza sauce.