Menu

s/o Have You Been To A Grateful Dead Concert?

Have you been to a Grateful Dead concert?  

1. 1. Have you been to a Grateful Dead concert?

• Oh yes I have!
    • Not a â??Grateful Deadâ? show, but Jerry Garcia Band, Ratdog, Phil & Friends, etc
    • Never in person, but I have a collection of live shows.
    • Iâ??ve seen Phish. Do I get half credit? (Answer:No)
    • Would you accept String Cheese?
    • No. Not in this lifetime.

I remember exactly where I was and how significant a loss it was to the music community. Now decades later, with a son who is a fiddle player, I can appreciate the roots of the Dead's music so much more. However, being a mom to an acoustic musician who practices daily, I don't enjoy the live recordings much - because they seem so messy. But the studio recordings are really wonderful. What creativity with guitar solos and folk music. It's all still in my heart...........

No. BUT I was eating at the Blue Nile on Telegraph the night of Jerry Garcia's death, and there was a guy outside yelling "Jerry's dead, man! Jerry's dead!"

That's the closest I ever got. I'm more of an Oingo Boingo/Sarah McLachlan girl.

You people are funny.

I'm one of the few who saw Phish. Sort of. Anyway, I was bored out of my skull - the songs went on for.ever. My DeadHead friends dragged me. I found other things to do, though, and it all must have turned out well.

You people are funny.

I'm one of the few who saw Phish. Sort of. Anyway, I was bored out of my skull - the songs went on for.ever. My DeadHead friends dragged me. I found other things to do, though, and it all must have turned out well.

See, I loved/love the Dead, but never liked Phish at all. My friends all thought they were great, but I couldn't even stand listening to it at all.

Ah, the good 'ol days....(need lighter flame smilie here)

And it has, indeed, been a long, strange trip so far.

I've been to several shows. My dh toured with them in '91-though that's a bit, um, hazy.

We also love Jerry's more folksy roots with Grisman. Our boys were raised with Not for Kids Only. And, yes, they still think they have an Uncle Jerry. ;)

My dh really enjoys Phish and Trey's solo stuff. We enjoy String Cheese together, both the band and the food. Nothing can replace good old fashioned Grateful Dead though.

Have you heard the Pizza Tapes?

*Why* does that not surprise me?

Is it totally rude of me to ask for the story? :D

Oh, it's not as exciting as it sounds...

Our family business interacted with most of the other peripheral entertainment businesses in town (limo companies, the unions that rigged the sets and lights, the caterers, the contractors, etc.).

I think I went to every headline act (and plenty of obscure ones) from about 1980-1985 in one major city. Got to see REM in a tiny, dang near condemned theater in '82 (cool) and spend one Cars concert talking to an old guy who turned out to be Stevie Nick's dad (odd).

It's a big list.

a

No, but I have found some of the songs from American Beauty (the only album I've heard twice) are very soothing when sung to babies. I also love the song Black Muddy River, but I've only heard it by friends, and the wonderful Norma Waterson. Very traditional in feel.

You can hear it hear:

http://www.google.com/search?q=norma+waterson&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I believe it is her granddaughter singing harmony, and I always think this sums up my mother's philosophy about death.

Edited by kalanamak

Nope.

Honestly I had never really heard of him when he died. I was 12 and it was all over the news, but I had no idea who he was. :tongue_smilie:

My son's godfather was a deadhead and followed them for over a year. I assume that doesn't count? :001_smile:

We enjoy String Cheese together, both the band and the food.

I had no idea that "string cheese" was a band - I thought it was thrown into the poll as a funny 'other' option & that's why I picked it. Oops. :tongue_smilie:

I know that the Grateful Dead were a band of some sort, and I know that people who were big fans of them were called "dead heads" [and wore a lot of tye dyed clothes, I think] ..but that's it. I don't know any songs that they did - unless it's one of those things where I've heard a song and just never knew the band.

[No idea who this "phish" is either. Or any of the other names in the poll. Phil? Ratdog?]

[Only band I've ever seen in concert is Metallica back in '92; I was 15.]

I took one of those Facebook quizzes, Which Dead Rock Star Are You and the answer was Jerry Garcia. He's dead?! I had no idea.

I get paid to run lights and sound in a concert hall. The only non-classical, non-jazz live music concerts I've seen are Bruce Cockburn in 1989 and Lyle Lovett & John Hiatt this year. Sad but true.

My only connection to the Dead, besides the quiz, is that my choir director in high school was very prominently featured in a now-famous photo of a screaming crowd in a book about the Dead.

That's so funny, fivetails! Yes, The String Cheese Incident is the name of a band. Phish is also a jam band like the Dead and String Cheese. Phil (Lesh) is bass player from the Dead. Ratdog is Bobby's (Weir-rhythm guitar) band after Jerry Garcia died and the Dead disbanded. Although, now they are back together under the name The Dead.

There's a little music lesson for ya. :o The music is rather enjoyable, so check it out sometime.

• 3 weeks later...
This a Public Poll.

Who are you?

Where are you?

How are you?

Bill

Yes! I've seen them a few times.

I'm a girl who doesn't listen to the dead, but was smart enough to go with friends who've traveled all over the world following them.

It's kind of like going to a foreign country with a friend who's from there. The experience is a little richer. :D

I'm in So Cal

I'm feeling good, this thread has me smiling and thinking about old friends.