Menu

Boxed curriculum ...

Luanne

I would use (and am using) My Father's World (www.mfwbooks.com) . It is comprehensive and fun and has a fantastic cycle by which you can teach across multiple age ranges at once. The cycle starts with a year of geography (Exploring Countries and Cultures) and then there are 4 years of history based study.

From 3rd grade on it doesn't include LA and Math, but I have already found it neccessary to use separate programs for that since she is working at different grade levels for Math and LA.

If you have any questions about the program in particular, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. Otherwise you could go to groups.yahoo.com/mfwfamilies or the forums on their web site.

math, LA, science, history, etc.? Let's see...if I wanted totally secular and I had the money I would go w/ K12 hands down. Very thorough and challenging and just a solid program. If I wanted Christian...I would (and am!) go w/ MFW. Now, it does not include *everything* in the later elem. years (past K and 1st), but does include history, bible, science, art, music, reading. You just need to choose your own math and LA curriculum. Honestly, the one thing that I've learned this year (our 1st year hsing outside of a virtual academy) is that all my dc are so totally different in their learning styles. One is very logical, the other not. One needs more hands-on and mastery approach to math while another could do math in their sleep, manipulatives or not! A boxed curriculum, while very convenient, would never work well for us. I doubt there exists a boxed curriculum (that included everything) that would "fit" well with all my dc.

We chose MFW for next year b/c for history, science, art, music...my dc can all learn together. For math and LA, all 4 of my older elem./middle school dc use different math programs, different spelling and grammar programs and different writing programs. I do hope you get some good responses. Sorry I can't be of more help in choosing!

I have used Calvert for 1-3rd. I found all the grades had TONS of busywork. The "history" seemed like an afterthought. The way writing writing was "taught" did not make sense. They do have good enrichment programs, though.

I have looked at and contemplated Oak Meadow for years. I still go back and forth on using it for next year.

Another vote for K12 here. I have learned SO much using this program with my daughter. We have used 1st-5th grade in all subjects except math. They teach some things I didn't learn until college, but in a very accessible and interesting way. Some people don't like the amount of "busy" work, but the K12 philosophy doesn't really expect that you will do every single activity in each lesson. They tout it as a buffet, where you have a variety of choices and it is up to you to decide how much or little is necessary to make the objectives of the lesson sink in. And though it is not exactly a "real books" curriculum, their literature program is the best I have come across for the grade levels mentioned above.

If I could not use K12, I would probably choose Calvert (4th grade and above). I think Calvert's presentation is much drier, but it is a solid, complete program without doubt.

Heart of Dakota!!!!!! :001_wub:

And I DO have every intention of continuing with the program!!

:party:

I absolutely love HOD!! It is everything I have ever wanted in a curriculum: planned out, but flexible; God- honoring; fun; very Charlotte Mason; living books; projects; notebooking; etc. Whats not to love? :D

K12 first choice, Calvert second choice. We used Calvert for 1st through 5th, and K12 for 5th and 6th so far. Calvert is good but kind of boring. K12 is a lot of busy work (which we skipped). We have also used Sonlight and Winter Promise, but not completely successfully. While I personally love literature based programs, my kids don't respond well to them.

ps - We prefer secular materials because we aren't religious. This is usually an important point for people choosing materials.

It is a bit more artistic and gentle than many of the other boxed things.

Ditto. We're using a portion of Oak Meadow 6 History/Ebglish syllabus this year for 5th grade Ancients and will finish next year during 6th grade since OM6 covers WTM years 1, 2 & a bit of 3. We're using all of OM6 science this year & will use OM7 Earth Science next fall during 6th grade.

My only problem with OM is the math is at least 1 grade behind.

I do like that OM offers high school level Latin, Spanish, French & German packages.

If I had my way I'd choose Sonlight, but you said you didn't want a "real books" program...

SO I think based on what you asked, that we'd have to ruled out MFW because that's a "real Books Program" ...

So...probably Calvert or BJU - Calvert if you want secular, BJU if you want Christian.

Calvert is so easy to implement. You'd have to cut out some of the busy work, but other than that it's pretty good.

BJU is not dry or boring and there's always the option of the teachers on DVD or Hard Drive. Decent Value for what you get.

I personally will be using mostly AOP, with some additions. I wouldn't even say I'm classical anymore at this point, but doing what's best for my situation and family.

I like AOP because all the materials are affordable, and very very easy to use, leaving me plenty of time and energy to explore our own interests. We are a very bookish family and my dh also is constantly buying/downloading awesome science and history documentaries for all of us. I feel my kids get a lot of learning right there so I've decided to stop stressing over trying to provide everything myself. If you get the AOP catalog you will get a much better feel for their overall programs and services. We'll be using Horizons everything and then Lifepacs for LA and electives, and SOS for the four other main subjects.

I can always supplement or add on where I think AOP is a bit weak for my kids. But basically here I am in first grade and I'm done trying to plan out everything my kids learn. They learn more and we have more fun when we pursue our own interests in the content areas and keep to the basics in the skill areas.

But again, I happen to have a 4 and 6 year old that will watch and understand (for the most part) a 3 hour documentary on Quantum Physics, or Black Holes, or The Universe, or THe Blue Planet. ....

So I don't know that everyone's kids would be well suited to this plan.

Anyway I feel AOP covers the basics very well and has lots to offer, for an affordable price, allowing me the time and money to supplement, or pursue other interests!

I was so glad to find this thread as I was just coming to ask the same thing. I am not a fan of the box sets, but looking for simplicity next year. I love choosing my own stuff but next year I will have 3 home and I am looking for simplicity. I have been flubbing back and forth between BJU and Abeka. Still not sure, but I have used BJU in the past and liked it ok.