Menu

I need either advice or talking down: I feel like we're so behind

melissel

And I feel like I squandered my DD's head start :( I mean, I know there's nothing I can do about it now, but if some of you more seasoned HSers could give me some guidance, I'd appreciate it.

The back story is that my eldest DD, while only 7, gave herself a heck of a head start. She may or may not be gifted--I suspect that she is, somewhat, though I'm not overly concerned with that since I want to meet her wherever she is, regardless. She taught herself to read when she was just past 4, picks up anything she's taught very easily, absorbs everything going on around her, is very mature emotionally, etc. Honestly, if her sister's not with us, it's almost like having another adult around.

I started HSing her for K, but because I was working nearly full-time (until about 8 weeks ago) and had a toddler etc., we didn't finish any of the curricula we started, and we didn't start some of the curricula I really believe in. So here we are, most of the way through second grade, and we're only halfway through Right Start B, Growing With Grammar 1, SOTW Ancients, just about to start AAS 1, etc. She's capable of so much more, and I'm so mad at myself.

My dilemma is this: Obviously, much of what we're doing is too easy for her, but I feel like the next level of each thing builds on this previous level. Should I be skipping/combining lessons or skipping levels to get her closer to the appropriate places, or by doing that, will I lose the value of the foundation and repetition that's built in? Am I just making too much of the numbers and levels? I'll confess that it saddens me when I read people's sigs and their five-year-old is wrapping up RS B or their seven-year-old is on AAS 3. I know I shouldn't compare, but I also don't want to whitewash our position by telling myself that if I wanted, I could really consider her in first grade since by age, that's where she could feasibly be. IMO, that doesn't recognize her actual ability, it just assuages my guilt.

So WWYD in this situation, given this bright kid? Combine and skip and struggle to "catch up"? Or does it all come out in the wash at some point in the future?

TIA for your insight and advice.

Edited by melissel

I have a K child and I honestly feel what we learn right now is gravy. For pre-k, which have done the last year, I had serious events happen that derailed our "plans." It was such a blessing! I took a step back and realized that academics at this age are not important (at least not to me right now).

I would not freak out. I see first grade as being when it gets a little more formal. I think RS B is acceptable for 1st grade, if I'm not mistaken. I think what you have sounds, to me as a newbie (so take it for what its worth), like a good place to pick back up and move forward. I have a feeling she will be "up to speed" and doing just fine.

Don't beat yourself up. At this age, there is plenty of room for adjustments. So take a deep breath and realize you are doing good work :)

I know I'm not a seasoned hs'er, but I think the most important thing in your situation is:

Stop reading people's sig lines. :lol: I'm serious, though. It's just not a good idea almost ever. For anyone.

Ok, I can say that w/out being seasoned. The rest of what I have to say might be worthless, but I have a big mouth online, so if you need to ignore me, I understand. ;)

Academics aside for a moment (& I'm seasoned enough to know the seasoned people will tell you *that*--they'll say she's only 7, etc.; I'm fresh enough to know how unsatisfactory that answer can be sometimes, lol)--

how is your dd *enjoying* the material? Forgetting the #s & pretending you're just reading all this yummy curric for *fun*--does she like it, dread it, bored w/ it?

I wanted to hs partly because things were too slow & boring for me growing up. Then we had life hit w/ ours, & I've felt exactly what you're describing. The very "potential" I'm hs'ing to meet, I'm squandering the way ps squandered mine.

BUT...ds doesn't have to do busywork (despite the ws I just posted about, lol). He doesn't have to read a bunch of textbooks or sit in a class & do nothing while he waits for everyone else to catch up. When he's not doing classes, he's reading, he's building, he's designing, playing, etc.

And when we get back to *school,* I almost always find that somehow, somewhere, he has just...*absorbed* so much more than I could have imagined.

Phone's ringing...gl!

Stop reading people's sig lines. :lol: I'm serious, though. It's just not a good idea almost ever. For anyone.

:iagree: This is soooooooooooooooo true! This first year taught me that is a big no-no! I enjoy reading about various curricula, but have to limit myself. Also, I find comparisons to be poison. Look at your situation and child alone. Comparisons are such a trap for derailing progress (in my very green opinion)!!!

I'd slow down, give yourself and your child a break, and consider: first, that young kids, no matter how gifted, learn through play and interest; and second, that many countries do not begin formal education until age 7, and their kids "catch up," if that's the term, to others who begin much earlier, in a really short period of time because the kids are more developmentally read for sit-down education at seven than at four or five.

Comparisons are invidious things. One of the hardest things to do as a homeschooling mom is to stop comparing or to think in terms of level and "progress" as measured by external curricular landmarks. I was personally only able to do so because my daughter is both gifted and has learning disabilities, so no levels and timetables were going to apply to her, that was very clear. I had a slow learning curve! Sounds like you are ahead of where I was by questioning your own motives and measuring sticks at this point.

Don't worry so much about what your daughter is capable of achieving with a program of "more." She's still young; formal school is supposed to take only a couple of hours at this stage; most schools -- and dare I say most homeschoolers? well, many at least -- do not plough through their entire planned curriculum on schedule at this age. You don't want to burn out by working too hard to get where you think you ought to be or where someone else says kids should be. Remember: it's a marathon, not a sprinting race. Even better: it's a journey, not any kind of a race. So easy to say, and so very hard to put into practice daily!

OK I have not read any responces, so If I am about to parrot everybody else, Im sorry, and If I say something completely against what everybody else is saying, this is just my opinion!

Your dd is 7. You are NOT behind. DO NOT skip even if what she is doing now is "below her" because you might miss something that she doesnt quite get. Just get going on the work, work through summer as a catch up time (we do-- this year, we will have quite a bit of summer work to do) but I dont consider US behind, I just pulled my kids from public school last year (our first year homeschooling) and they didnt learn alot of the things they (mainly my 6th grader) should have. Talk about a let down! I brought her home at the beginning of 6th grade and she had NO history to speak of:001_huh:) I have learned to not look back, but just look forward! Looking back does NO good! All it does is gets depressing, and there is too much in the world to do that! Just move forward and you will be fine! She will get to work that is at her level soon and you will do great! :D

I hope this was a little helpful anyway~!

:iagree: :iagree:

:iagree: This is soooooooooooooooo true! This first year taught me that is a big no-no! I enjoy reading about various curricula, but have to limit myself. Also, I find comparisons to be poison. Look at your situation and child alone. Comparisons are such a trap for derailing progress (in my very green opinion)!!!

:iagree: :iagree:

Ok, I am a seasoned homeschooler. I say..take a look at where you are....and take a look at where you would like to be...by summer...by fall...by next summer.

Then, take a deep breath and make yourself a path to achieve those goals that is loose enough to be flexible and tight enough to keep you on track. Follow your heart and your dd's leading. When it gets easy...speed up. When it gets hard, slow down.

Homeschooling is a marathon, not a sprint to the finish. What she learned this past year will help her foundation. Kids are pretty impressive with what they learn when we forget or do not have the time to teach them.

Focus on your relationship with her and learn what makes her tick. Most of all enjoy this time when she is young. It gets tricky once they get to be teens.

Good luck, and if you need a shoulder feel free to pm me.

~~Faithe (who has btdt many times now.)

Do yourself a favor and stop looking at others signature. Comparing will drive you crazy and raise doubts within yourself.

You are doing fine and your daughter is doing fine. I would just advice you to just know what she needs to learn and accomplish during the year. Through my homeschooling, I have learned that sometimes less is better especially with younger ones. Concentrate on the basics, reading, writing and math. Everything will fall into place if these 3 subjects are given focus. You can read books (science and history) together as a family (read aloud) and do weekly experiments.

Make a list of your goals and eliminate unnecessary things. Read,read,read. Do math drills. And tons of playtime. It's better to do things slow and get it done, than do it fast and you end up repeating.

I also have a very gifted 7 year old, but he is working through FLL1 and will do each level according to the "grade level" he "should" be at. It's all so arbitrary, really...but my point is that I want him to get a good, basic foundation and to enjoy the ride. If we race at breakneck speed through anything, that won't happen.:001_smile:

On the other hand, I have a 9 year old who, due to a poor curriculum fit and a mom who was in denial for awhile:tongue_smilie:, is "behind". I made a plan to get caught up to the level that he is capable of in math, and we are doubling up on some language arts...but he will enter "fourth grade" next year and our time in this lovely grammar stage will be drawing to a close - thus, my need to get him caught up. He will be doing WWE3 next year, though, and I won't rush through that because it is an area in which he struggles and I want him to get a good foundation.

If your child reads, can do basic printing of letters/words and can do basic arithmetic, I would say that you are not "behind". The rest of it, in my oh so humble opinion, is gravy and will come with time.

And I feel like I squandered my DD's head start :( I mean, I know there's nothing I can do about it now, but if some of you more seasoned HSers could give me some guidance, I'd appreciate it.

The back story is that my eldest DD, while only 7, gave herself a heck of a head start. She may or may not be gifted--I suspect that she is, somewhat, though I'm not overly concerned with that since I want to meet her wherever she is, regardless. She taught herself to read when she was just past 4, picks up anything she's taught very easily, absorbs everything going on around her, is very mature emotionally, etc.

Oh my goodness, you have nothing (and I truly mean NOTHING) to feel guilty about! You haven't "squandered" anything! This isn't a race, so unless you were planning on graduating your DD at 14 or something, the "headstart" doesn't mean anything in the long run. This past year was not a once-in-a-lifetime, never-to-be-repeated opportunity ~ it was just one of many many years of homeschooling you have ahead of you. In Finland they don't even start school until 7, and by the age of 15 their overall test scores are ahead of every other country, in spite of their lack of a "headstart." So think of her schooling as starting now, and forget about what did or didn't happen last year.

You say she "picks up anything she's taught very easily," so you shouldn't have any problem getting her ready for college by 12th grade, right? Because that's the real "finish line," not each individual grade level. Even if you count this year as 2nd grade, you still have six years to cover basic math, reading & writing, and give her an introduction to science and history. There's so much repetition in elementary school, you could really teach a child everything they need to know for HS in a couple of years in middle school.

When I pulled my DS out of PS after 4th grade, he was doing 3rd grade math, was behind in reading, and had done almost no history or science in school (although he'd done a lot of science at home). Less than 2 years later, he's doing Prealgebra, reading on level, watching Teaching Co lectures for history and doing HS level science. His four years of lousy schooling didn't really hurt him in the end. I'm sure by the time he leaves for college, he'll be at pretty much the same level he'd have been at if I'd homeschooled him from K and forced him to do 6 hours of seatwork every day from K to 4th (because at that age, 90% of the academic work probably would have gone in one ear and out the other!).

Please stop beating yourself up over this!!! It truly doesn't matter what anyone else's child is doing. I'm sure your daughter is fine, I'm sure she'll continue to be fine, and I'm sure there will continue to be bumps in the road where everything goes to h**l for a few weeks (or months) here and there. None of that will matter in the end. Honestly! :001_smile:

:grouphug:

Jackie

I'll help you feel better. Just look at my siggie. :D

My 9 yr old didn't finish RS Level B until he was 8. He is just now starting AAS level 3. We are just now starting WWE level 3. It took us two years to finish SOTW Ancients.

My 6 yr old is in RS level A and I've only done like three lessons with him in AAS level 1.

Your dd is doing great. :001_smile:

If you want you try doing double lessons every now and then. However, just remember that she's a kid and needs lots of time to play. That's way more important than "catching up"

My opinion is that a little curricula is better than too much! Especially during K through 3rd grade. It can get in the way of real learning and just turn a kid off. As you say, your daughter is probably capable of more academics, but would it really have been the best route? I'll bet she's been learning all sorts of more important things during this time than written grammar and such. Real life is much more educational. I think age seven or eight is the perfect time to start more written work. My kids seem to have picked up so much more from our reading of great books, field trips, real life experiences than from any curriculum we've tried! I think if you just start up where you have left off, you can't really go wrong. You'll figure out together what works best as you move forward.

If you feel it really is too easy for her, then feel free to skip and combine as necessary until she feels challenged, but not overwhelmed. Just move through what you have at a faster clip.

Try not to worry. She's 7, not 17. You're already looking at making changes to improve what you're doing. Even if you have "failed," you're fixing it.

Comparison is the enemy of contentment. Don't be anxious. (Ha! Look who's talking.)

I definitely agree that your child is not behind, but just wanted to give you some other ideas to ponder as well.

I would not worry about leveled spelling or phonics, etc. Those subjects are so fluid that you simply need to teach her where she is. I have had a child that couldn't even recognize his letters or write his name at the beginning of 1st grade (we didn't even do K)and by the end 1st grade, he was reading books like Charlotte's Web in a couple of hrs. I've had a child that worked really hard and diligently K, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and didn't finally "get" reading until near the middle of 3rd grade.

My point is that as a 7 yo you don't need to focus on anything other than simply progressing forward little by little. Some times they leap; sometimes they crawl; sometimes the same child is doing both (my struggling reader was a definite leaper in math)

Math.......that is the one subject I would hesitate to just jump ahead. Unless it is obviously mastered, I would plug along from where you are. (but.....if it is mastered, don't be a slave to the text either.)

Most of all, now that you aren't working, I would NOT turn all that energy into school. Use it for more fun time, etc and with coming up with a plan on how to move forward at a relaxed but consistent pace.

I definitely agree that your child is not behind, but just wanted to give you some other ideas to ponder as well.

I would not worry about leveled spelling or phonics, etc. Those subjects are so fluid that you simply need to teach her where she is. I have had a child that couldn't even recognize his letters or write his name at the beginning of 1st grade (we didn't even do K)and by the end 1st grade, he was reading books like Charlotte's Web in a couple of hrs. I've had a child that worked really hard and diligently K, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and didn't finally "get" reading until near the middle of 3rd grade.

My point is that as a 7 yo you don't need to focus on anything other than simply progressing forward little by little. Some times they leap; sometimes they crawl; sometimes the same child is doing both (my struggling reader was a definite leaper in math)

Math.......that is the one subject I would hesitate to just jump ahead. Unless it is obviously mastered, I would plug along from where you are. (but.....if it is mastered, don't be a slave to the text either.)

Most of all, now that you aren't working, I would NOT turn all that energy into school. Use it for more fun time, etc and with coming up with a plan on how to move forward at a relaxed but consistent pace.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Skip!!!!

GWG repeats itself every single year at a higher level. There is NO REASON to do it all.

RightStart can be condensed if things are too easy. I've skipped warm ups and repetitions of games, and I've breezed through lessons if it's obvious that DS understands.

If she's a strong reader already, skip the phonics. Skip grade levels in spelling. There's no need to do them all.

A child should be challenged by what she's doing. Underchallenged children learn to be lazy and never learn to, well, learn--to tackle new things, to try and fail, and all that other stuff.

My friend's DS, for whom I arrange the curriculum, skipped k and 1st and went straight into Calvert 2nd grade. He made straight As. Next year (chronologically "1st"), he'll be doing RS B, lit at a 5th-6th grade level, 4th grade reading comprehension books, SWO D, GWG 3, STOW, and God's Design for Science for the 3rd-6th grade. He never even blinked skipping two years before, even though it was a very schooly curriculum. My own DS is going to skip all of middle school science, and I don't anticipate a problem. He's only done GWG 2, and now he skipped to GWG 6 and is doing just fine.

....com[e] up with a plan on how to move forward at a relaxed but consistent pace.

Chiming in here and agreeing with so much of the advice that you have been given. I think that this statement is the key.

Falling behind our hopes is a perpetual problem in homeschooling. Master the elements of this one and you will have overcome one of the biggest obstacles that we plate-juggling, over-scheduled, over-planning but under-achieving (??) mommas face.

It's easy to make plans. Some of us curriculum junkies LOVE to make plans. Plans are so beautiful, so educational, so perfect. It's hard to execute the plan because that execution requires a TON of other elements and the toughest two to manage are time and the other person - the child! :001_smile: It's just hard to factor them into the broad, grand spreadsheet. :001_smile::001_smile:

I would heartily suggest that you shift your focus toward a slow, steady pace with your child - nothing grand with a broad, sweeping shift toward a completely, new, turn-over-a-new-leaf, reinvent yourself kind of focus. No! Just gently turn your face away from what you are doing that is keeping you from making progress and gently turn in another direction. Be firm about your decision. Hold yourself to the line. But don't make the line an impossible line to reach. Be reasonable and you will see progress.

The fable of the tortoise and the hare is REALLY applicable to homeschooling. Really. Sprinters perpetually have a hard time. The plodders really do finish the race with grace. In a world that spends a lot of its time looking at, analyzing, discussing, pondering, and exploring the lives and motivations of the racing hares, the boring tortoise doesn't get much air-time. But a life of steady, peaceful accomplishment is really a joy; there's nothing boring or mundane about it.

THAT lesson learned THIS early in the game will make all of this worth it. You really can use this experience to learn a grand, grand lesson that will serve you very deeply and well for a very long time. :001_smile:

Chin up!

Today is a new day!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Falling behind our hopes is a perpetual problem in homeschooling. Master the elements of this one and you will have overcome one of the biggest obstacles that we plate-juggling, over-scheduled, over-planning but under-achieving (??) mommas face.

I would heartily suggest that you shift your focus toward a slow, steady pace with your child - nothing grand with a broad, sweeping shift toward a completely, new, turn-over-a-new-leaf, reinvent yourself kind of focus. No! Just gently turn your face away from what you are doing that is keeping you from making progress and gently turn in another direction. Be firm about your decision. Hold yourself to the line. But don't make the line an impossible line to reach. Be reasonable and you will see progress.

The fable of the tortoise and the hare is REALLY applicable to homeschooling. Really. Sprinters perpetually have a hard time. The plodders really do finish the race with grace. In a world that spends a lot of its time looking at, analyzing, discussing, pondering, and exploring the lives and motivations of the racing hares, the boring tortoise doesn't get much air-time. But a life of steady, peaceful accomplishment is really a joy; there's nothing boring or mundane about it.

Janice said so beautifully what I was thinking! Not surprising.....she always says truth with such eloquence. This advice is what I would take to heart.

While I don't relish working through the summer, I have accelerated what we do get through for the next few months and will ramp up lessons to 2 or 3 in a day, if we are mentally up to it. We'll take off the month of July, and even a good chunk of May to rest, but the plan is to get "caught up" by September.

:)

Tia, I don't know what lessons you are doing, but may I gently offer a suggestion. The scheduling blunders were not you child's fault, yet the overloading of lessons to catch up places the burden of the lack of teacher oversight during the school yr on your child.

She is little. Ahead, behind......those words are really meaningless. First and foremost, she is child. Educationally, she is where she is. If you overload her with work in an effort to "catch her up" you may ultimately burn her out which will slow her down or even alter her view of learning for her lifetime.

The best educational philosophy is to truly meet them where they are. Move forward steadily and consistently. Fill them with wonder and the desire to discover. If they embrace that, they will be ahead for a lifetime, not for "school."

There is no real way to get behind when they are in primary grades. Those grades are simply the foundation in reading, writing (as in letter formation, not expression), and math. Up until the age of 10.......there is such huge ranges of what that average norm even is. Kids that may appear to be behind, may leap forward. Kids that started ahead very young, may sort of level out and be on grade level. Either way......what does it really matter??? The only thing that really matters is that they are who they are and how do you help them move from their personal point A to their point B.

I hope that I haven't offended you and that you are able to understand the tone in which this is intended.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I'm not a seasoned homeschooler, but as a mom of an identified gifted 5 yr old, who I often feel I'm short changing based on other people's sig lines, I understand completely!

And my question is-is your DD getting frustrated with what you're doing? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. One thing I know from my DD is that when she WANTS to move ahead and learn something, she does it in spurts. And when she does, she'll be very clear about it. It may simply be that your DD is in a time of pulling in and processing now, and will spurt ahead later. Or that she's learning a lot-but in areas outside what your textbooks show.

I'm sure your DD will let you know when she's ready to move faster or if she's bored. Until then, enjoy the scenic route!

So here we are, most of the way through second grade, and we're only halfway through Right Start B, Growing With Grammar 1, SOTW Ancients, just about to start AAS 1, etc. She's capable of so much more, and I'm so mad at myself.

I know I shouldn't compare, but I also don't want to whitewash our position by telling myself that if I wanted, I could really consider her in first grade since by age, that's where she could feasibly be. IMO, that doesn't recognize her actual ability, it just assuages my guilt.

On a practical plane, I'd continue with RS B at a comfortable pace. I'd also compare it's scope and sequence with your local school's standards (or a traditional program like BJU's standards). RS is so different that it can take a long time to get through B, but it covers so much more than "normal" in some areas and less in others. I wouldn't worry about it, math is not something you can rush if you want to get to Algebra with a solid foundation. I'd follow the advice to zoom through GWG 1 because it covers the same topics at a higher level in GWG 2 (as does just about every grammar program). I'm using AAS 1 right now with ds, and a lot of it is very easy for him, but I do think it's important to cover all the material at least quickly because he couldn't pass the AAS 2 entry test. If your dd can pass the test, skip. If not, go quickly. There are only going to be 7 levels, so you'll catch up soon. For SOTW, I'd recommend getting the audiobook and listening to it in the car. You can cover a lot of ground on the way to extracurriculars.

I have to agree that it's not a good idea to compare your dc with other people's sigs. It's a recipe for guilt and panic. Just keep trucking along and you'll be fine. I've noticed my dd go through spurts of skill building, where she makes great leaps in a week and something that seemed terribly difficult is suddenly very easy.

Melissel, you've received a LOT of good advice here, and I'll toss out a few more comments. It seems to me this could all turn out to be for the best, if you let it be and view it that way. It sounds like your dd has a very serious streak. So has she spent the year reading, playing games with her sister, and just in general being a kid? How much better than that could you get? That's so much better than loading onto a young dc everything they can do. Their personal growth, emotional growth, PLAY growth is just as important.

Now, you're viewing this as some kind of race where you had a lead on everybody and don't want to lose it, lol. Gifted kids don't move forward like the steady horizontal elevators (fast walks) in large airports. Gifted kids JUMP. So I could do NOTHING with my kid, and I'd still have to go to the next level because her mind is changing, the way she thinks is changing, and the material becomes babyish to her. You can't stop these kids from learning, and leaving them to read and play for a few months, even 9 months (in an enriched, stimulating environment), doesn't harm them but enriches them. If she were in 7th or 8th and you were saying this, it would be different. But she's 7! She'll be FINE!!! You'll probably get back into academics and realize she has jumped in some ways. I can't fathom half the stuff you're talking about fits her. Maybe she's a natural speller and doesn't even NEED AAS. GWG 1 is totally unnecessary. I would spend a month, do the oral/memory work in FLL1/2, and go right into a 3rd gr grammar program. RS B isn't going to take her that long now that she's older. Hand her SOTW and let her read it.

There's always going to be somebody with a kid smarter than yours. Your job isn't to accelerate them or make them prodigies who live up to their potential. Your goal is to turn out WHOLE, balanced human beings. A year of reading, playing with a sibling, this can be part of that. I just wouldn't sweat it. It's all going to work out. If she was meant to be ahead, she'll jump ahead. And personally, I wouldn't bother with calling her a grade ahead unless she is actually multiple grades ahead in most subjects. But that's just me. I figure lots of people's kids are ahead, so we just stay quietly where we are. :)

Tia, I don't know what lessons you are doing, but may I gently offer a suggestion.

Thanks for the advice and the suggestions, and I'm not offended, however, I did not post what I did to hijack Melissa's thread and get opinions on my own situation. I'll delete my response at this point because I don't want to take away from her situation.

Melissel, you've received a LOT of good advice here, and I'll toss out a few more comments. It seems to me this could all turn out to be for the best, if you let it be and view it that way. It sounds like your dd has a very serious streak. So has she spent the year reading, playing games with her sister, and just in general being a kid? How much better than that could you get? That's so much better than loading onto a young dc everything they can do. Their personal growth, emotional growth, PLAY growth is just as important.

Now, you're viewing this as some kind of race where you had a lead on everybody and don't want to lose it, lol. Gifted kids don't move forward like the steady horizontal elevators (fast walks) in large airports. Gifted kids JUMP. So I could do NOTHING with my kid, and I'd still have to go to the next level because her mind is changing, the way she thinks is changing, and the material becomes babyish to her. You can't stop these kids from learning, and leaving them to read and play for a few months, even 9 months (in an enriched, stimulating environment), doesn't harm them but enriches them. If she were in 7th or 8th and you were saying this, it would be different. But she's 7! She'll be FINE!!! You'll probably get back into academics and realize she has jumped in some ways. I can't fathom half the stuff you're talking about fits her. Maybe she's a natural speller and doesn't even NEED AAS. GWG 1 is totally unnecessary. I would spend a month, do the oral/memory work in FLL1/2, and go right into a 3rd gr grammar program. RS B isn't going to take her that long now that she's older. Hand her SOTW and let her read it.

There's always going to be somebody with a kid smarter than yours. Your job isn't to accelerate them or make them prodigies who live up to their potential. Your goal is to turn out WHOLE, balanced human beings. A year of reading, playing with a sibling, this can be part of that. I just wouldn't sweat it. It's all going to work out. If she was meant to be ahead, she'll jump ahead. And personally, I wouldn't bother with calling her a grade ahead unless she is actually multiple grades ahead in most subjects. But that's just me. I figure lots of people's kids are ahead, so we just stay quietly where we are. :)

^^ this

I thought like you did, that if I moved DS up levels we would miss something fundamental. A good friend of mine also with a gifted child made me realize that I let him jump ahead and come back down in levels if we need to. So that's what I'm doing, I'm meeting him where he is and if I find we need extra help in an area because he jumped, we stop and do that.

Deep Breathe! I totally agree with OPs... Stop reading signature lines. It doesn't matter if every other child here completed calculus in K, wrote their college thesis paper in 1st, and solved world hunger in 2nd, all of which they did while writing a symphony and painting countless masterpieces. Try and focus on your children and what your goals are for them. We are all over the place with levels and that is fine. I try to balance challenging my child without overwhelming him. I don't think it is a crime to spend extra time on lessons your child might struggle with or skip a lesson they have already mastered. Don't get discouraged and try to "catch up" by cramming too much in all at once. Your child will turn out just fine if you go at a stedy pace. If it makes you feel any better I didn't learn to read until I was in the third grade, never diagrammed a sentence until homeschooling DS, and still am learning history alongside my son. I have successfully completed college and have a great career. Learning is a lifelong goal not a race with a finish line.

I wouldn't say she's behind or that you've lost momentum - however, having a gifted child myself I have to say you might want to consider looking at the "levels" and skimming over the things she already knows. The fastest way to kill a child's joy of learning is to tie them to a level rather than to let them grow at their own pace. Nothing says you can't do modified school days through the summer. I don't know what your state requires but if you need to make something up to meet requirements the summer is a good time to do it.

HTH,

JoAnne

This was such a helpful post. I'm struggling thinking I'm soo far behind with my kids. But then again I feel I'm homeschooling so that I can spend time with my kids.

I have been battling Non-hodgkins lymphoma for 9 years now and my treatments and health have very well played on our spirits. The boys are both very intelligent, happy, healthy children - but understand the importance of spending time doing the things we love. I originally pulled the boys from a small private school b/c of behavior issues, but the more time I spent at doctors/treatments/in hospitals, the more important it was for me to be with my kids/hubby and together as a family.

So I'm gonna get back to basics again and remember that the kids will be fine in the future. I'm laying the ground work and implanting the importance of value and the importance of constantly learning. My boys will grow up knowing that they can do whatever they want as long as they work hard, try hard, and make good choices. Who cares if they know latin, I don't know that they are college bound, so what if we aren't on schedule. We do have a curriculum, I have an idea of what they need know - but what I'm gonna do is provide them the tools they need to continue to love learning for a lifetime by exposing them to all the wonderful things life has to offer.

I pray that you are not pushing your kids too hard and letting them enjoy the great outdoors. Think of all the kids in PS all day everyday who come home to several more hours of extracurricular activities and homework only to get up and do it all again tomorrow. Ugh!

Sorry - I got long winded. But thank you for this post. I'm going to stop reading/comparing my curric to others as of now.

Serena

If RS B is too easy for your DD at this point, you may want to take a look at RS C. It repeats a lot of the information from B. I wouldn't do it just to get her "on track", however. But if you're finding that B is simply not challenging enough, you could try skipping her into C.