Menu

Who makes sure their kids eat 3rd world foods--she blogs

Nope don't know...but an interesting idea nonetheless. Now that being said, I am know for making my yahoos eat/prepare foods from the time period/culture/country we are learning about....as in when learning about Rome eat like a Roman?

But...don't think you are talking about moi....

We're Eat Local type folks, so we do try to limit out food/fossil footprint.

What sorts of foods are you talking about? I am trying our make our Free Trade coffee & chocolate last as long as possible. We try to eat in season, and thank god it's almost pea & lettuce season here as we are running out of hard squashes!!!

I'm giggling reading this post. I was mumbling about trying to decide what to make for dinner with my Mom on the phone this afternoon and she commented on how we have so many more options than they did when she was a child or when her mother was growing up. She said it wasn't until she went to school and ate in the cafeteria that she got to sample exotic foreign dishes--like spaghetti.

I don't know. Beans and rice seems like a normal thing to eat, to me. I'd like to try a breadfruit. I'm not sure I'll ever get to even see one though!

Rosie

We get rice from a supplier in the US (Lundberg), but it's not grown locally. Is this limited to food grown in a particular 'third world' area? Or is it an excersize in famine, where you would have to eat whatever is airlifted to you, whenever you get it?

Edited by LibraryLover

I don't know. I really hope someone remembers where to find this blog! I suppose I assumed we were talking about foods like millet and ugali since they are staples in poor areas; and we tend not to eat them in the West.

Rosie

Millet is another great grain not grown near where I live. (Well, that I can find).

Anyone?? LOL

I could do a google search. Do yu know the point? Is it to eat locally, only what you were able to grow before the famine set in, or is it related to eating only those food availabe to you which you can gow ? Or maybe it;s about how to figure out how to eat unfamilar food that can be airlifted to you? There's a huge range of possiilites, kwim? Rice, and perhaps rice & beans are often airlifted because it's doesn't need electrical storage care (cooling), and makes a complete protein.

But rice and beans are not limitied to famine areas, and there are about a zillion kinds of beans... plus dry rice and beans have to assume a water source and a way to heat water. Not something available to everyone.

Edited by LibraryLover

I could do a google search. Do yu know the point? Is it to eat locally, only what you were able to grow before the famine set in, or is it related to eating only those food availabe to you which you can gow ? Or maybe it;s about how to figure out how to eat unfamilar food that can be airlifted to you? There's a huge range of possiilites, kwim? Rice, and perhaps rice & beans are often airlifted because it's doesn't need electrical storage care (cooling), and makes a complete protein.

But rice and beans are not limitied to famine areas, and there are about a zillion kinds of beans... plus dry rice and beans have to assume a water source and a way to heat water. Not something available to everyone.

I have no idea what the point is. I've never even heard of it before, but it sounds interesting! I did a Google search, but the first thing that came up was this thread. :D Maybe you'll have better luck!

My guess is that it's about appreciating different foods from different countries, and/or being content with what you have, no matter how simple.

I think you're way off with the airlifting thing, although it would be awesome if you were right. Who else would think of something like that?? LOL I love it!

I don't know. Beans and rice seems like a normal thing to eat, to me. I'd like to try a breadfruit. I'm not sure I'll ever get to even see one though!

Rosie

My one attempt at breadfruit did not go well. I blame part of that on the inexperience of the cook (me) and the remainder on the fact that it is not a particularly appetizing food to begin with.

I don't know that this is really related, but my parents once had an "exotic fruit" feast where they went to the grocery and bought a couple of all the "exotic fruits" to try. It sounds like an interesting idea, but from my limited experience a) the quality of these fruits imported is often not nearly as good as what you'd get locally and b) I'd have a hard time selecting an unfamiliar fruit that was at its appropriate ripeness, etc.

I keep thinking of mangoes, which I see on occasion at the Krogers near my parents, but they aren't the kind of mangoes we get here fresh from India -- mangoes where you walk into the store and all you can smell is the strong, sweet smell of mangoes and you know you have a few weeks before the season ends and prime mangoes are no more to be had. (I think it must be similar to peach season in the southern US.). I'm confident the mango selection available to my parents was quite poor, compared.

In a similar vein, here we have only a few varieties of apples available, and I did see some fresh imported blueberries yesterday but the price -- yikes!

I don't know. I really hope someone remembers where to find this blog! I suppose I assumed we were talking about foods like millet and ugali since they are staples in poor areas; and we tend not to eat them in the West.

Rosie

Actually many people in the American south eat cornmeal and similar products, including "cornmeal mush" as well as grits, hominy, cornbread. And it's the exact same thing as polenta, which is a common staple in parts of Italy.

Eating things like greens and beans and whatnot is a great idea. Subsisting on watered down porridge to stretch is not nutritious for ANYONE living anywhere.

This is probably going to come across all wrong, it being teh internets and all...

And pretty much everyone who has ever met me knows that judgement is my middle name...

but D@MN do I find the premise of this thread offensive

My brain is sputtering to come up with all of the reasons why:

- a bunch of women living in 1st world nations talking about how eating foods commonly eaten in the 3rd world would somehow be chic

- a bunch of women sitting at COMPUTERS talking about eating foods that are from countries that have intermittent to non-existent electricity

- a board that regularly bursts into downright battle over whose version of god/creator/absence of creator, creation/big bang, religion/lack of religion, faith, salvation, and some sickly sweet version of holier than thou talking about food as if it has a socio-economic ranking system

GAH!

Try biting through a UN emergency food biscuit if you're looking for a real life experience.

asta

This is probably going to come across all wrong, it being teh internets and all...

And pretty much everyone who has ever met me knows that judgement is my middle name...

- a bunch of women living in 1st world nations talking about how eating foods commonly eaten in the 3rd world would somehow be chic

- a bunch of women sitting at COMPUTERS talking about eating foods that are from countries that have intermittent to non-existent electricity

- a board that regularly bursts into downright battle over whose version of god/creator/absence of creator, creation/big bang, religion/lack of religion, faith, salvation, and some sickly sweet version of holier than thou talking about food as if it has a socio-economic ranking system

GAH!

Try biting through a UN emergency food biscuit if you're looking for a real life experience.

asta

Um. All Chris is doing is trying to locate a blog that she enjoyed. She's trying to remember some identifying things about it - one which happened to be 3rd world foods (some of us would call them whole foods but I'm assuming that perhaps the blogger used the other term).

GAH!

asta

I'm sorry to have offended. I'm just trying to find the blog. Not really because of the food thing, which I fear I haven't explained very well, but because it was a neat blog, and I wanted to read it again.

Perhaps you weren't addressing me, IDK--but the blog is not consumed with this idea, it's just something they do. I find it refreshing and interesting to expose children to a variety of foods--so many only give "kid food" like nuggets or whatever. But really, the blog has very little to do with the food issue.

Edited by Chris in VA

Rosie

sigh, breadfruit. :001_smile:

I loved it as a child. I haven't had it since I was in highschool.

I'm sorry to have offended. I'm just trying to find the blog. Not really because of the food thing, which I fear I haven't explained very well, but because it was a neat blog, and I wanted to read it again.

Perhaps you weren't addressing me, IDK--but the blog is not consumed with this idea, it's just something they do. I find it refreshing and interesting to expose children to a variety of foods--so many only give "kid food" like nuggets or whatever. But really, the blog has very little to do with the food issue.

No, I wasn't addressing you particularly. And I agree that kids should be exposed to all sorts of things.

I don't know. It just gets to me sometimes. The dividing lines. The blind spots.

a

I am not certain where everyone who has posted here lives or has lived, so I wouldn't jump to that conclusion, but I actually think it's good to consider what we have that others don't. It's easy to not understand people's problems if we assume everyone has running, potable water, a toilet, and a ready supply of food, an electric/gas stove, as well as things like a frig or a fully stocked grocery store.

But then I feed my kids some of these things because it's part of their culture.

I also think it's easy to romanticize other parts of the world to imagine that everyone eats very healthily (beans, greens, and so forth). Not the case. Neither does everyone live in a refuge camp eating American surplus goods as aid.

I am a big advocate for whole foods when I visit my in-laws. Given that simple starches have become very popular and diabetes is rampant, I think it's important, since I want my extended family to have the best health possible.

Re this thread -- I said this in jest earlier, but what makes bananas (or anything else) an "American" food, anyhow? They're not even grown in the US. Then there are things like sugar which (except that from Midwestern beets) is mostly imported too.

Edited by stripe

We have a very busy, interesting, challenging life. We're not perfect, but we're peaceful and productive. My kids are really neat people, and my husband is incredibly well-balanced, fun, and visionary. Perfect combination. Of course we have our weak spots and hard days, but generally it's just a daily rotation of balancing precariously and hanging on for the ride of our lives.

Chris in VA:

As per causing controversy, I like the following thought:

You have no enemies, you say?

Alas! my friend the boast is poor-

He who has mingled in the fray

Of duty, that brave endure,

Must have made foes! If you have none,

Small is the work that you have done;

You've hit no traitor on the hip;

You've dashed no cup from perjured lip;

You're never turned the wrong to right-

You've been a coward in the fight! Charles Mackay, 1814-1889

I'm so glad you enjoy the blog, Chris. Thanks for your kind words; I would love to be on your team, too, when we make our foes!

Tonya

www.meanolmama.blogspot.com

Edited by Paul's Gal

My one attempt at breadfruit did not go well. I blame part of that on the inexperience of the cook (me) and the remainder on the fact that it is not a particularly appetizing food to begin with.

I didn't think it sounded tasty, it just sounds interesting because we can't get them :)

When I went up north last year, we stopped off at Tropical Fruit World. That was so cool! I got to try all sorts of different things I didn't even know existed.

Actually many people in the American south eat cornmeal and similar products, including "cornmeal mush" as well as grits, hominy, cornbread. And it's the exact same thing as polenta, which is a common staple in parts of Italy.

Oh yeah, I know. I eat it too sometimes :) They don't seem to eat yellow corn in Africa though. They eat white corn instead. I like as ugali, but when I bought some whole kernels to try, well, :ack2:

No, I wasn't addressing you particularly. And I agree that kids should be exposed to all sorts of things.

I don't know. It just gets to me sometimes. The dividing lines. The blind spots.

a

Thanks, I'll take that as you not addressing me particularly either, and I'll spare you the rant of a reply. I'm curious about that last sentiment though. You seem to be suggesting that it is somehow immoral for us to have been born into first world countries. Now I've stopped being shirty about being accused of blind spots you wouldn't know if I had or not, I would like to know what they were, just in case I do. If we can form these ideas into a discussion instead of rants, accusations and holier than thou attitudes, it could be very interesting. It's nice to be able to compare what we have read and experienced with what other people have read and experienced. My sister has just come back from living in Kenya for close to a year. The things she said about the other ex-pat Western women's views of the country were a bit interesting.

Anyway, now we have located the blog, I can go read it!!

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

I never thought that beans and rice would spark controversy ! :)

The blog was too cumbersome for me to wade through and locate whatever it was that sparked the original enquiry. Nice photos, though !

Food should be eaten humbly and with gratitude, whatever it be. There is no merit in emulating other cultures if pride is the result. Just the thoughts rambling through my mind at the moment. . . .(and not directed toward any specific person)

Edited by Orthodox6

The blog was too cumbersome for me to wade through and locate whatever it was that sparked the original enquiry. Nice photos, though !

Food should be eaten humbly and with gratitude, whatever it be. There is no merit in emulating other cultures if pride is the result. Just the thoughts rambling through my mind at the moment. . . .(and not directed toward any specific person)

I thought we were talking about food geography. At least I know I was talking about food geography! I like food. I like food politics too, and this thread has tossed up an angle I hadn't considered.

Wonder what is for breakfast...

Rosie

I would have to say that Orthodox6 has written a response much more elegant than anything I could come up with.

It is relatively simple to view another culture through one's own eyes. It is not so simple to leave one's presuppositions behind and look at one's own culture through the eyes of another.

a

It is relatively simple to view another culture through one's own eyes. It is not so simple to leave one's presuppositions behind and look at one's own culture through the eyes of another.

a

Quite true. I'm surprised at the jump from eating food not commonly eaten in first world countries to trying to delve into another culture and the assumption of our ethnocentrism. Eating food is not, by itself, an attempt to understand anyone's culture and I admit I'd be surprised to find that anyone thought it was. Perhaps you are overestimating our aims.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Quite true. I'm surprised at the jump from eating food not commonly eaten in first world countries to trying to delve into another culture and the assumption of our ethnocentrism. Eating food is not, by itself, an attempt to understand anyone's culture and I admit I'd be surprised to find that anyone thought it was. Perhaps you are overestimating our aims.

Rosie

I find that sad.

a

The term "3rd world" is perhaps a poor choice. At least, it was discouraged when I was studying and working in the field of international development. Those of us from the "3rd world" prefer to be thought of as from a "developing country" as though we have some hope of getting to where the rest of you are. ;)

That said, I think there's value in eating simple food, and remembering that for many that would be luxury. There's value in remembering we don't need aisles and aisles of food to eat well. And there's value in using food as a way of connecting children to places they have heard about, or to stay connected to places they've been to.

Our menu has certainly become more international over the years, and many of the meals we have added are from poorer countries, and tend to include more vegetables and pasta / rice than meat. And our children are expected to eat what we eat, and get used to a range of foods.

The term "3rd world" is perhaps a poor choice. At least, it was discouraged when I was studying and working in the field of international development.

Sorry, I'm aware of the preference in terms. I just used "third world" because that's what the post title said.

Those of us from the "3rd world" prefer to be thought of as from a "developing country" as though we have some hope of getting to where the rest of you are. ;)

I'm not sure that'll be good for you ;) , but I can't say I have any better ideas!

I find that sad.

a

You are sad because people are interested in food merely because it is edible?

:confused:

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Our menu has certainly become more international over the years, and many of the meals we have added are from poorer countries, and tend to include more vegetables and pasta / rice than meat. And our children are expected to eat what we eat, and get used to a range of foods.
I think the rich/poor designation is largely irrelavent. I mean, there are quite a few people in the US living below the poverty line - what are they eating? I do think "international" is a fair designation, and fwiw it goes both ways; whenever I'm visiting my inlaws (extended or immediate) they always ask me to make some "American dishes". It isn't an economic statement, they aren't saying one culture is better or worse, they just like trying something that is, to them, completely different.

I do think, for my kids, it is valuable to be able to adjust to being in any environment they find themselves, whether it's different foods or different restroom styles ;) or whatever. It isn't a judgement statement that one environment is better or more advanced, it's a hope that they can be flexible.

I'm not sure we have the right to decide what is edible for someone else though.

I don't think anyone was talking about anything other than wanting to try other foods -- since it was people in this thread talking about more "unusual" foods (for them) that they'd tried. Such as breadfruit. Or a durian. Which I for one will never try again. But I admire anyone who considers it edible.

All along I've found it amusing that the assumption is "third world food" = some tasteless pap, instead of tropical fruits, spices, and the like. Funny that a country like India is regarded as having a rich culinary heritage but not recognized for its low GNP.

Given the (unrecognized) amount of culinary mixing throughout history, I think it's NOT surprising that many foods are seen as regular (tomato, corn, sugar, bananas) instead of exotic or requiring a cultural salute.

I'm with Rosie. I thought we were talking about Food geography too and not about how to pretend we are poor or whatever. I know that we had a great time in a class one year about world geography and the parents brought in dishes and fruits from the respective countries.

Perhaps I jumbled threads a bit. There was another thread about somebody's church community eating only certain foods for a specified period of time, and the gist appeared to be that doing so would confer "empathy" with the poorer communities or cultures. I have seen people undertake such an activity, only to "gussy up" the food with spices, condiments, and "fancy fixings". To me, that missed the point entirely. I would have thought the beans and rice would be plainly boiled with a bit of salt, at best.

As for preparing and enjoying "ethnic foods", I do that much of the time because I prefer non-U.S. food styles.

On the other hand, in many other countries, spices are very cheap (e.g. <$1 for 1 kg), making a pinch of them very affordable. Obviously this may not apply to people in refuge camps or otherwise in crisis, but that doesn't mean all people eating beans and rice eat them without any flavorings at all.