Menu

What Do You Do to Celebrate "Finishing"?

We would have finished Singapore 1A today, but a beautiful day, a play-date, a little bike riding action has pushed this off until tomorrow.

But I'm feeling this is a pretty big accomplishment for a 5.5 year old that I want to celebrate somehow.

On another thread Moira mentioned she lets her kids shred their workbooks when they finish. When I mentioned this to my son, he almost looked like he was going to cry. So that's out :D

It did make me wonder if you all celebrate finishing up programs (when it really feels like a huge accomplishment) in some special fashion?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

How about start a scrapbook?

Copy the cover, 1st page, last page, and any other special pages and put into a scrapbook that you can add to as the years go by? Having those pages dated would be especially meaningful.

Or take a picture of your student as he finishes the last page?

Way To Go !! :party:

I give them a fancy (home-made) certificate, complete with gold foil seal. Funny, the 13 year old just finished his math book and asked for his certificate!

Where does one get a gold foil seal?

My son would like this. And I'm cracking up that your 13 year-old does too :lol:

Those must be pretty impressive certificates!

I see a side-business supplying the homeschool community :tongue_smilie:

Bill

How about start a scrapbook?

Copy the cover, 1st page, last page, and any other special pages and put into a scrapbook that you can add to as the years go by? Having those pages dated would be especially meaningful.

Or take a picture of your student as he finishes the last page?

Way To Go !! :party:

Good ideas!

I will be sure to add tomorrows date to the last page. We've finished other things, but this one seems more monumental somehow.

Bill

We do a wiggle dance. Sounds dumb but my dd get so dang excited that she cant help but start the wiggle dance. I offered to make cup cakes or something that is normally off limits....nope just a wiggle dance.

We do this too. We always do our "Silly Dance" when we finish any curriculum book. First, I call everyone into the living room. I stand in front of everyone (the family, or any guest who happens to be around) and, in my very best orator voice, make my announcement: "I WOULD LIKE TO ANNOUNCE TO THE WORLD. . . THAT C. L, HAS COMPLETED. . . SINGAPORE MATH'S PRIMARY MATHEMATICS 1 A!!! YAY!!!!!!!"

Everyone claps, then I launch into our silly song (I wish I could sing it for you. It's a famous instrumental song, but I don't know what it's called -- it has a trombone slide, on do-so-do, at the end). We do goofy kicky can-can type, jumping, wiggling dances as we sing the song (da da da, da da da da da da). At the end of the song (at the trombone slide), we all fall on the ground, or the couch, or each other. Then we giggle and congratulate the finisher of the book. :)

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

We celebrate finishing every book/program that is a semester or a year. . . So, each Miquon book, each Singapore workbook (i.e., 1A), each Core, etc. It adds up to maybe 8-12 or so each year for each kid.

The child can choose the celebration. My budget is $20 max. Suggestions include: family movie/popcorn night, monster dessert night, family game night, bowling, a new craft or toy (up to $20), 1 hour Wii time (highly prized, lol). . . I also allow the kids to "bank" their celebrations for later use (keep track of these somewhere!) and to combine them. A few months ago they combined 5 to spend $100 going to a local version of ChuckECheese with several friends.

I do think celebrating important accomplishments is a wonderful ritual.

HTH

We do this too. We always do our "Silly Dance" when we finish any curriculum book. First, I call everyone into the living room. I stand in front of everyone (the family, or any guest who happens to be around) and, in my very best orator voice, make my announcement: "I WOULD LIKE TO ANNOUNCE TO THE WORLD. . . THAT C. L, HAS COMPLETED. . . SINGAPORE MATH'S PRIMARY MATHEMATICS 1 A!!! YAY!!!!!!!"

Everyone claps, then I launch into our silly song (I wish I could sing it for you. It's a famous instrumental song, but I don't know what it's called -- it has a trombone slide, on do-so-do, at the end). We do goofy kicky can-can type, jumping, wiggling dances as we sing the song (da da da, da da da da da da). At the end of the song (at the trombone slide), we all fall on the ground, or the couch, or each other. Then we giggle and congratulate the finisher of the book. :)

That would motivate me!

Tears are streaming from my eyes, it is such a precious image :001_smile:

Bill (who is very happy he posted this question)

Here are some links to seals and certificates, just in case you decide on a more "permanent" celebration.

Seals: http://www.mardel.com/store/default.aspx?DepartmentId=3769

Certificates: http://www.mardel.com/store/default.aspx?DepartmentId=3772

Seals: http://www.staples.com/Southworth-Premium-Embossed-Achievement-Seals/product_709135?cmArea=SEARCH

Here's the happy dance :party:

Bill

Confession: I haunt thrift stores for stationers supplies: old file boxes, ledgers, labels and various office papers. I compulsively buy them and file them for future use in a strange old filing cabinet from the 40's. You could just go to Amazon, but how fun is that?

~Lisa, who makes certificates to justify her weird paper fetish.

Here are some links to seals and certificates, just in case you decide on a more "permanent" celebration.

Seals: http://www.mardel.com/store/default.aspx?DepartmentId=3769

Certificates: http://www.mardel.com/store/default.aspx?DepartmentId=3772

Seals: http://www.staples.com/Southworth-Premium-Embossed-Achievement-Seals/product_709135?cmArea=SEARCH

Here's the happy dance :party:

Oh...there is so much I don't know :lol:

Bill

My 12yods, who has always been more than happy with just the silly dance in the past, just today asked if he might be allowed to BURN his PM5B book when he's finished with it. :D

I told him he could. He's VERY motivated now! LOL!! (of course, we'll do our silly dance first!) :D

I'm thinking maybe the silly dance could be done around the blazing math book :D

Maybe a tiki theme? :tongue_smilie:

Bill

On another thread Moira mentioned she lets her kids shred their workbooks when they finish. When I mentioned this to my son, he almost looked like he was going to cry. So that's out :D
:lol:

It was quite a primal affair. They used to strip, rip the notebooks into tiny bits and throw the bits up in the air so the knowledge could rain down on them. DD the Elder has "grown up a bit," as she says, and now remains clothed throughout.

Edited by nmoira
grammar

Ok, this wins for my favorite post so far this year. I'm sitting here somewhat defeated by my almost 13yo. I'll confess that the apricot brandy bottle was dipped into this evening. But this post reminds me that THIS crazy homeschooling thing that we do is, and should be, fun and silly and joyful.

Thanks.

Ok, this wins for my favorite post so far this year. I'm sitting here somewhat defeated by my almost 13yo. I'll confess that the apricot brandy bottle was dipped into this evening. But this post reminds me that THIS crazy homeschooling thing that we do is, and should be, fun and silly and joyful.

Thanks.

Hang in there, Shannon! Believe me, our days aren't always so fun and jovial. Read below about my 12yods's desire to burn his math book when he's finished. That wish was preceeded by a major melt-down of the "I'm so stupid!" variety, complete with crocodile tears, and gnashing of teeth. :tongue_smilie:

By the time we get to the end of some of our books, the relief just floods into our dance! Even the siblings are excited for the finisher of the book, because we all know what went into completing it!

:lol:

It was quite a primal affair. They used strip, rip the notebooks into tiny bits and throw the bits up in the air so the knowledge could rain down on them. DD the Elder has "grown up a bit," as she says, and now remains clothed throughout.

Hmmm...and I'd just gotten the stripping thing under control.

Letting him watch the Hollywood version of Beowulf was a bad idea (on so many levels) :lol:

I was surprised (but secretly pleased) that he wanted nothing to do with shredding the 1A workbook. It would have been hard for me somehow. And I think we are a lot alike.

We never go out for ice-cream, I'm more of a "broccoli makes you strong" type dad (which doesn't sold that "fun" as I read it). But tomorrow? I think we go for an ice cream. And he will know, "this just doesn't happen."

Bill (who is fun in other ways, and feeling defensive :tongue_smilie:)

We would have finished Singapore 1A today, but a beautiful day, a play-date, a little bike riding action has pushed this off until tomorrow.

But I'm feeling this is a pretty big accomplishment for a 5.5 year old that I want to celebrate somehow.

It did make me wonder if you all celebrate finishing up programs (when it really feels like a huge accomplishment) in some special fashion?

Bill

We do celebrate "finishing." I usually make a sticker and put it on the child that says "I Finished _______!!!!!"

We then do something special. for dd 11, it is a trip to Panera Bread for a brownie or a hot chocolate and some Mommy time.

For my little boys, it is a trip to the ice cream store in town and maybe the afternoon at the playground. Finishing a math level is a BIG DEAL! It is equal to being promoted a grade in my house, so we really do make it a biggie. Finishing their Phonics program and reading fluently is also a big deal...celebrated by a trip to Barnes and Nobles or the Muddy Cup for a new book and time out with Mom by themself. When my kiddoes finish basic arithmetic and are ready to move into Algebra 1...that is dinner at their favorite restaurant. OY! I just realized typing this out, that we tend to celebrate with FOOD! Now there is another issue....sigh.....

~~Faithe (Oh, and congrats to you and ds! Wonderful accomplishment!)

LOL Every time a child finishes one of their Singapore (or other) math books at our house, they get to go out for ice cream with mom or dad! It's a tradition we've had since the beginning when I needed to bribe oldest ds to just FINISH already!! I love that my 15yo dd is still reminding me that she's owed an ice cream trip with me. :D

Office Max & such, near the printer paper or teacher supplies.

I keep a "trinket box" and each finished workbook earns them a prize from it. I add to it every now & then, plus they know what was there before so sometimes have something they're waiting to earn.

Every day just after getting the pledge said (yes, we're controversial ;) ) and saying our morning prayer ("Dear G*d, open our minds so we can stuff in more knowledge. Amen"), a wiggle dance commences to the Amen/Alleluia chorus. And Shannon831, I usually haven't been into the apricot brandy yet. :tongue_smilie: We're just happy to have made it to the starting line each day!

The Kumon workbooks my dd did as prep for schooling had certificates at the end, and wow were they a hit with her. So we continue with certificates at the conclusion of each book. They are all over our walls in our school/playroom.

This week, my dd learned to read. When we were out buying some summer clothes, she admired a pretty dress, so I bought it for her in commemoration of her learning to read. Spy Car, I'm guessing your son might not favor a dress though... :D

My son LIVES for certificates. He finished the first lesson of Dance Mat Typing today and it asked him if he wanted to print a certificate. The fact that I said yes and then let him hang it front and center on the fridge (with all the other certificates and artwork) made his day.

Though I think he'd happily go in for burning his books, too... and probably while naked. I bet I could even incorporate paint into that and do a quick lesson on tribal cultures ;)

SARAH (who is a bit of a pyromaniac herself)

We do a crazy dance around the book.

The dc love to put the workbook on the floor, hold hands with siblings and me, and do a wild dance around the book. A victory lap!

Then it goes in the COMPLETED bin. At the end of the year we go over ALL OF THE WORK that was completed and have a Fun Day at a place of their choice (beach picnic, water park, etc.)

For the big events we do cake. I have a great picture of my then five year old sitting happily in front of a cake with a big "100" on it - he had just finished page 100 in Phonics Pathways :-)

For just finishing workbooks we don't do too much - usually a High Five and then the rights to toss it in the garbage can. With four school aged kids someone is always finishing something, so I guess the shine has worn off a bit.

I just thought of a great story. My friend told her five year old that he would get a Webkinz when he finished his brand new ETC book (I think it was book 2). She did not set a time frame, and expected it to take 2 months based on the previous book. The child took his workbook from room to room all day long. He worked at the table, in the bathroom, ect. She put him to bed at his normal 8pm bedtime. At 10:30 pm, he runs triumphantly into her bedroom to announce that he had finished the whole book. She was flabbergasted. He got everything right.

I just thought of a great story. My friend told her five year old that he would get a Webkinz when he finished his brand new ETC book (I think it was book 2). She did not set a time frame, and expected it to take 2 months based on the previous book. The child took his workbook from room to room all day long. He worked at the table, in the bathroom, ect. She put him to bed at his normal 8pm bedtime. At 10:30 pm, he runs triumphantly into her bedroom to announce that he had finished the whole book. She was flabbergasted. He got everything right.

:lol:That's just awesome! What a great story!:lol: