Menu

Body hair removal for teen girls.

My 13 yo dd has reached the time when she feels the need to start removing body hair. She wants to start with her armpits. I just shave myself but I am wondering if there are any better/gentler methods or products that you can recommend.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would love to hear whether anyone has used different/gentler methods too, as I have a child with fine motor problems who tends to press too hard or not at all -- there is no in between.

I would love to hear whether anyone has used different/gentler methods too, as I have a child with fine motor problems who tends to press too hard or not at all -- there is no in between.

My experience with chemical removers has been very bad. The first time I tried Nair it *instantly* gave me a chemical burn. Even the more gentle versions break me out and often don't remove the hair. :tongue_smilie:

Things that rip the hair out are painful.

Maybe you could help her?

My girls both started shaving at 11, they have dark brown hair, but very fair skin. We've only had a couple of minor knicks, no major cuts at all. Our oldest has had some waxing done, brows, etc. That's the only alternative method that I have experience with. My dd finds it less painful than tweezing. We use a salon.

My experience with chemical removers has been very bad. The first time I tried Nair it *instantly* gave me a chemical burn. Even the more gentle versions break me out and often don't remove the hair. :tongue_smilie:

Yikes! Thank you SO MUCH for the warning. It would have been disastrous if I had tried these.

Oh well, I was hoping somebody had found some alternative to shaving, but it looks like we'll have to go that route. I did use chemical products when I was younger but the stench was unbearable, I'm sure they were very toxic! I also tried waxing but again it is painful!!!

Has anybody tried or know anybody who has tried laser? Not that we have the budget for it, but if it works it might worth it long term.

We have decided to do armpits and lower legs... I will use good razors, I will apply warm water and vegetable oil to prep the area. Anything else I should be doing to get the best results?

Thank you again so much for sharing your experiences.

Buy the expensive razors - like Venus. They're worth it!

So much harder to get nicks than with the cheaper ones. :)

:iagree: I only use razors with the built-in lubricant. It's *almost impossible to cut yourself (ALMOST!), and no messing with soap or gel/cream. Honestly, it's not as good a shave as some other razors, but it does the job!

If you're good at CVSing, you can pick up some really good deals. I switch between Venus and Intuition, depending on the deal of the week.

:iagree: I only use razors with the built-in lubricant. It's *almost impossible to cut yourself (ALMOST!), and no messing with soap or gel/cream. Honestly, it's not as good a shave as some other razors, but it does the job!

If you're good at CVSing, you can pick up some really good deals. I switch between Venus and Intuition, depending on the deal of the week.

I agree. I would try the Venus Breeze for her. I LOVE it.

My dd's Dr (he is a GP and a Naturopath) has an assistant who does laser hair removal... Armpits are $200 (internet special!) and require 2 visits.

Supposedly it is painless and permanent....

This summer DH and I have decided that middle dd (17yo) will get a laser treatment on her neck and face... she has a thyroid disorder and has facial hair--watching her shave is NOT something you want to see any GIRL doing (and there are too many hairs for plucking to work and waxing was PAINFUL and not permanent).... not sure what the cost will be but it will be worth it...

DH said I coud get my 'pits' done if I wanted!...

Has anybody tried or know anybody who has tried laser? Not that we have the budget for it, but if it works it might worth it long term.

I have. But I was an adult when I did it. Two years later, I do have to shave, but it's for a minimal amt of hair. (I had my armpits and bikini line done at the time - dark hair, fair skin = a lot of work, lol) I don't know what would have happened if I had done it earlier. I do know, though, that at the place where I had my laser treatments done, that they don't treat children under 16. I did ask because I just know dd is going to be stuck with the same problem I have (whether she will care as much I do is another story all together).

• 2 years later...

Has anyone tried the No-No? I've seen it on tv but never used it. It might be an alternative.

I would use a good shaving cream to lubricate because then your dd can see where she's shaved already. She can practice shaving on a cantaloupe--no, really! :D It will help her get the feel of the razor.

Dd started shaving armpits when she was 11, and lower legs (we don't do upper) a few months later. I was so worried about cuts! I told her never use the razor horizontally without turning it (so she wouldn't slash herself); it's something I didn't realize when I was a newbie shaver. *shudder*

Has anyone tried the No-No? I've seen it on tv but never used it. It might be an alternative.

I investigated them, but all the reviews on Amazon were that it didn't work. (The old "too good to be true" story!) :glare:

There are some great waterproof electric razors out there. You don't get the close shave you will with a new blade razor, but close, and hardly any chance for nicks and cuts.

Here's a grooming kit that is marketed to women:

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-WPG-2000-Smooth-Womens-Bikini/dp/B001886K48/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337869941&sr=8-4

I have it, it works very well.

For the face, I have tried many things...... I finally caved and tried the Nair for Faces. It works great for me. No problems at all. But I do know that many people have reactions to it, or end up with chemical burns. I don't know that it is a good idea for teens..... It may also flare up acne issues...

I agree with Venus razors. My dd started shaving about 8 months ago and has yet to cut herself using Venus.

She always waits to shave until she has had a warm shower or bath to soften her skin. Then she sits on the edge of the tub to shave because she doesn't feel coordinated enough to shave standing with one leg propped up. :) And knowing her, that is probably for the best. lol

Maybe you could help her?

Buy the expensive razors - like Venus. They're worth it!

So much harder to get nicks than with the cheaper ones. :)

:iagree:

In addition to the built in lubricant, I also bought dd13 shaving gel to start with. I figured she would be less likely to get cut that way. She has done fine ever since. I just gave her some basic instructions, specifically the ankle and knee area, a few warnings, a bit of BTDT and she was on her way. She is very independent and didn't want help. The first time she shaved I suggested sitting on the side of the tub with her shorts on, so she could call me in for help if she needed it.

I have had excessive hair issues my entire life. Laser finally did the trick. If the topical cream is correctly applied, it is practically painless; however, I have a high tolerance for pain and have experienced electrolysis and other painful forms of hair removal.

This is one of the products I used when I was younger. It worked very well. Hair grew back at about the same rate as shaving, but there are no sharp parts: http://www.hairoff.com/face-products.shtml

ETA: The link I previously posted was to other products. I have used the buffer and appreciated its gentle effectiveness.

Edited by arghmatey

Another idea instead of buying shaving gel/foam (although, it's pretty cheap) is to use conditioner. I tried that in a pinch when I needed to shave my legs. It was great! Usually my legs feel really itchy right after I shave and I need to wash in the shower right away. But, with the conditioner I had none of that. We always seem to have more conditioner in the bottle than shampoo (not everyone uses conditioner) so it works well.