Menu

Do you use a curriculum that you consider to be a real miracle worker?

creekmom

I was wondering if there is a curriculum you've used that you consider to be a "miracle worker" - one you give credit for helping bring your dc up to grade level in a certain subject area.

I'll start. My dd (8) really struggles with spelling. AAS has helped tremendously this year. She is still not at the 3rd grade level, but I trust she'll be there soon!

This can obviously vary widely--one family's miracle is another's disaster! :) But it is neat seeing the stories!

For us: My ds16 was struggling with grammar. I finally found Rod & Staff English, and started it. We did most of it orally or on the white board, which was perfect for his learning style. He FLOURISHED with it! He actually was so excited that he called it his favorite class! I was thrilled! So, I call it our little miracle for grammar!

DD did NOT like Saxon, and I didn't pick up on how much it was NOT working until she was greatly disliking math. :( She'd been a math lover before that. We stumbled around trying to figure out what would work, and came across Teaching Textbooks. That helped her relax, understand, and do much better. So TT was our math miracle!

Edited by Brindee

For us it's been AAS as well. My dd is not a natural speller and, even though she learned to read through phonics, she had a hard time applying it to spelling. Spelling Workout was a complete bust and did not apply spelling rules very well or phonetically. The first level of AAS made all the difference and she finally made the connections. We've continued with it because it works so well for her.

For us it was MUS with our oldest. I pulled her out of ps when she hit 7th grade, and we had to jump backwards in math.

Instead of me teaching her, I had her watch the DVDs, where the guy teaches each segment in little bites. One day my daughter turned to me and said, "Why didn't anyone ever explain it like this before?"

So then I tried it with my middle daughter, and it was a no-go. LOL!

For us it was the switch from Rod and Staff (which ds hated with a passion) to AG. He likes grammar now and is really getting it.

Also switching from Abeka science (which was turning my science loving son into a science hater) to Apologia. He loves science again!

And switching from Latina Christiana to Galore Park's "So You Want to Learn Latin Prep". Again it took a hated subject and turned it into a much loved one.

For us it was the switch from Rod and Staff (which ds hated with a passion) to AG. He likes grammar now and is really getting it.
I'm glad you said this Jean! I'm looking at AG. Though my ds16 did well with R&S, it didn't work well with dd. I'm hoping she takes after your son and does well with AG! :001_smile:

Webster's Speller!

Before I found it, I got most of my remedial reading students up to grade level, and a few to one grade above their grade level.

After I found it, 5 of the 18 students that I used it with were reading 2 or more grades above their grade level, and 4 of those 5 of those students were from an inner city Little Rock school in the bottom third of the state. (And, Arkansas is not up there nationally, either.) My previous students were middle class students for the most part, although a few were not.

We had the exact same experience...tears when R&S books were brought to the table to shouts of joy when we brought out the Junior AG books :)

My ds (9) could only read Level 1 readers a year and a half ago. We started Bartons Reading and Spelling (dyslexia) at that time and he is now reading chapter books! He is reading Henry Huggins right now.

Similarly, my dd (7) did not know her letters or letter sounds (not for lack of trying on my part, believe me.) In Dec. I purchased LiPS (for phonemic awareness) and she now knows 6 letter sounds and 3 vowel sounds and is able to read and spell 3 letter words with these sounds! It has been very slow going but my heart is so happy that we are finally making progress.

RightStart math! My son really disliked math and I've never been a big fan either. I kept hesitating on RS because of the price but wish I had taken the plunge sooner.

Just this week, my son was bouncing up and down saying how fun math is and that it's his favorite subject. Most days he begs to do another lesson. And I have to say that I love it too. it just suits both of us perfectly and I have never loved a curriculum so much. It makes both of us feel good about math. Not to say we don't have our days where a concept isn't clicking for him and we both feel slightly frustrated, but even the way RS is set up helps with that- we play math games and let the lesson marinate, and he usually makes a connection the next day when we come back to it. But most of the time we don't even have that issue, RS just seems to be set up in a way that clicks for both of us, and I love that satisfied feeling at the end of a lesson, from seeing all the connections and the love of playing with numbers that my ds has developed.

CLE Math!

I found out the hard way that our 12yo ds was not retaining much from MUS. He needs the spiraling review of CLE. I am so glad that he is constantly reviewing concepts.

On the other hand, our 9yo ds was bored with MUS and CLE gives him the variety and challenge he needs.

ETA: I still really like MUS and appreciate their logical sequence, but it's just not for these two guys. ;-)

Math Mammoth. DS was still struggling with 3rd grade math, in spite of being in a remedial tutoring program, when I pulled him out of PS after 4th grade. After completing MM 4A-5B, he's currently doing Kinetic Books Prealgebra and Life of Fred. He's in 6th grade.

Jackie

Not my own dc, but I have seen many times that IEW has brought my students' writing level up dramatically. I have several times taken a junior high level boy who would painfully put a few sentences and fragments together into a paragraph to the point of creating a well-written 3-5 paragraph essay with confidence (and sometimes even enjoying it!) :001_smile: