Menu

Since I can't think about anything else...

want to help me think of questions (answers!) for my interview tonight?

My brain won't sit still, so all I can think of is Do you have scones there? when I can really live w/out those. And other questions so embarrassing I won't even type them. :lol:

Remind/advise me--what am I really supposed to ask? Because otherwise, I may gush. And dh? He'll be all philosophical & useless--he's been postulating about the state of the family in Malaysia, & it makes me want to shake him. :001_huh:

So, tack something good onto my "duh..." feelings.

(On a side note, the same feeling happened when I was driving to my oral exams as a jr in college. I'd spent the semester studying TS Eliot, & on the way over, all I could remember was one line from The Wasteland:

Do you know NOTHING? Do you remember NOTHING?) :lol:

I'm no help, I thought it was yesterday! GOOD LUCK!!!!:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

It was "Mon or Tues"--so you're keeping up really well, lol. Mom & bro called yesterday because they both thought it was last week. Like I wouldn't have called them immediately if for nothing else than to decompress.

I tell you what. The last interview I had...a few mos ago...felt more like a visit to the psychiatrist. Not that I've ever been to one, actually, but it was SO intense, SO personal. But I was applying to teach at a Christian school, so the questions overlapped from professional to personal to faith in a way that I've never encountered before.

I expect this one to be the same, although the local school I applied to...had a...scary kind of rigorous feel to it, if that makes sense. Like, the uniforms had ties for the girls & specific colors of socks & brands of shoes, & you'd get in relatively serious trouble for missing a *detail.* And I thought, "Gee. If they expect this of the students, I wonder if I'll ever measure up." Because, you know, I get stuff wrong sometimes. I laugh about it. They didn't seem like they thought very much was very funny. :001_huh:

The thought of having to get every little detail right AND my kids having to get it right, too...was kind-of a stressful thought. I could just see the mornings. Where's your tie? Why isn't your hair fixed? Have you brushed your teeth--NO! You can't wear those socks! I've TOLD you they have to be white, and. they. have. to. match! :lol:

This one feels much friendlier, but who knows. Things change once you've sat in the principal's office. :D

If you move to Malaysia, how am I ever going to meet you?

Sorry-I suppose that's not a helpful question.

I can't remember where you are--are you one of the TN/VA people?

Honestly...the way life's going, I feel like we have a better chance of seeing other parts of the US if we go than if we stay. BUT if we don't go, dh will probably begin looking for a pastoral position, & I know that's the direction we'd look.

Now...it may only be looking, because getting this man out of TX will not be an easy task. Malaysia? Sure. OK? :001_huh: Get the prybar. :lol:

Now...it may only be looking, because getting this man out of TX will not be an easy task. Malaysia? Sure. OK? :001_huh: Get the prybar. :lol:

I think Texas is a program that gets hardwired and is unable to be deleted. So if you go to Malaysia the Texas will never leave. :lol::lol:

(I'm a Texas wannabe, we're close but not quite there yet)

Questions??? Don't forget to ask how it will be before you know -we're an impatient bunch.

Do you HAVE to drive over that bridge?

I'd be asking about bugs, spiders, and snakes.

I can't think of any real questions, but we'll be rooting for you. :D

I have no suggestions. I write questions down on index cards and then forget to ask them.. :tongue_smilie:

Oooh...index cards are good. The chicken scratch I've scrawled across the back of a grammar worksheet I accidentally printed in duplicate w/ one of the dc's stubby pencils will be hard to read, I'd noticed. But I have at least made columns--questions more related to the job & questions more related to the cross-planetary move. You know, the ones that might make me look dumb but that I won't be able to get off my mind unless I write them down. :D

I think Texas is a program that gets hardwired and is unable to be deleted. So if you go to Malaysia the Texas will never leave. :lol::lol:

(I'm a Texas wannabe, we're close but not quite there yet)

Questions??? Don't forget to ask how it will be before you know -we're an impatient bunch.

Do you HAVE to drive over that bridge?

I'd be asking about bugs, spiders, and snakes.

I can't think of any real questions, but we'll be rooting for you. :D

Yeah, & we've both been here not just our whole lives, but for several generations.

SPIDERS--how. do. I. KEEP. FORGETTING. THOSE???

Snakes? Nobody has said anything about snakes so far! That counts as a deal-breaking surprise if they have awful spiders I mean snakes & don't say so up front, w/ true-life-size pics. YUCK.

But...I grew up on the water, w/ the cockroaches they call "waterbugs" then moved to a place w/ the cockroaches they call "tree bugs." For the last couple of yrs, we've lived in a place that's virtually BUG FREE. I've liked it. I might not be willing to leave it. :lol:

Dh & I are such pendelums right now. I've tried to explain to him that it's like...I think about things w/ my head first...if they make sense, & I go fwd, eventually, I think about them w/ my heart. And that freaks me out sometimes. (Like marrying him! On the way to the church, I suddenly went WHAT. AM. I. DOING???)

I can't remember where you are--are you one of the TN/VA people?

Honestly...the way life's going, I feel like we have a better chance of seeing other parts of the US if we go than if we stay. BUT if we don't go, dh will probably begin looking for a pastoral position, & I know that's the direction we'd look.

Nope-I'm originally from TN, though. I believe I'm now in the same state as your Mom :D.

Scones? Anyone can make scones. But maybe you think scones are something different to what I think scones are. I think you call scones biscuits. No, I haven't anything useful to suggest because I haven't had an interview in ten years.

Good luck!!

Rosie

Nope-I'm originally from TN, though. I believe I'm now in the same state as your Mom :D.

Oh, then that should be easy. We'll have to (surely?) go out there at least once before we go. And if we don't...well, I haven't been to see my mom in like 9 yrs. (She comes here.) So I think I'm due for a trip that way. :001_smile:

Scones? Anyone can make scones. But maybe you think scones are something different to what I think scones are. I think you call scones biscuits. No, I haven't anything useful to suggest because I haven't had an interview in ten years.

Good luck!!

Rosie

Dh thinks they're the same as biscuits, but he has no appreciation for them. He thinks they're just dried-out, slightly sweet (but not sweet ENOUGH, lol) biscuits. He's offered to make some by simply leaving biscuits sitting out for a couple of nights. :svengo: :lol:

I have been to so many interviews I could write a book. I think the ministry type positions are the hardest because of what you mentioned earlier--they have a tendency to cross the line between personal and professional. But, I would keep it professional unless (or until) the interviewer takes it in another direction. I would be prepared to ask specific questions about the school, the students, the administration. And not necessarily the cultural stuff right now. But, that is just me--I am pretty straight laced in interviews, especially the first one.

Oh and you could always ask "when should I start packing my bags?"

Dh thinks they're the same as biscuits, but he has no appreciation for them. He thinks they're just dried-out, slightly sweet (but not sweet ENOUGH, lol) biscuits. He's offered to make some by simply leaving biscuits sitting out for a couple of nights. :svengo: :lol:

These are scones, yes?

http://www.the-parenting-magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/scones.jpg

Here are the ones that come to mind, but you may already know a bunch of them:

what duties will there be, if any, during school vacations?

will you both be school employees? (You probably already know that.)

do they have a standard procedure for working out disputes or disagreements (probably wouldn't want to actually *ask* that at this point, but I'd want to know before signing on the dotted line)

do staffers tend to make this a lifetime career, or is there an average longevity?

at what age do they find that staffers typically retire?

just out of curiosity, do you know the primary population of the school, Malaysian children? MKs? expats but not MKs?

is there community life off hours among the staff families? i.e. will you have things to do with friends there evenings and esp weekends if you desire?

how do people "get around"? do you need to own a car?

What kind of curriculum guidelines are there? Are we free to supplement with our own curriculum choices within our classes?

What is the school's philosophy for working with students who have disabilities or who require differentiation? (In other words, how do they 'think outside the box' if there is a need?)

What requirements are there for after-school hours? Are there times that both my dh and I would need to be working? (speaking of after school hours, of course)

I don't know...I haven't had an interview for almost 14 years and I can't exactly recall which position it is you are applying for. But I would agree with the suggestion to focus on questions about the teaching position and school policies & such for the first interview. Maybe a few cultural questions, but not many.

You're going to do great! You've certainly got lots of cyberspace positive vibes on your side. :D

Good luck!

I have been to so many interviews I could write a book. I think the ministry type positions are the hardest because of what you mentioned earlier--they have a tendency to cross the line between personal and professional. But, I would keep it professional unless (or until) the interviewer takes it in another direction. I would be prepared to ask specific questions about the school, the students, the administration. And not necessarily the cultural stuff right now. But, that is just me--I am pretty straight laced in interviews, especially the first one.

Oh and you could always ask "when should I start packing my bags?"

I tend that way, too, & in my last one, I didn't introduce anything personal, but didn't mind them asking, because honestly? If it's not a good fit, I'd rather find out up front. I feel even more that way in this one.

My tendency is *not* to ask the cultural questions now, but I think a dabbling of those might make me sound like I do realize that the job is located in some other place & that I've thought about that.

I'm a little nervous to interview WITH dh, lol, because we get excited in the same conversations & could easily talk over ea other. Now...we *don't* usually...I mean, we do manage to speak w/ people at church, etc., but I always see people smile in a funny sort of way when they're talking to us. I think it's a good way, lol, but there *is* something extra about talking to us together. :001_smile:

Those look like British scones, which are indeed similar to what we call biscuits, if memory serves me at all from my brief visits to Great Britain. American scones are heavier and usually full of something like dried fruit or something else chunky, and are sweet, not savory. They can be circular but are also often triangular, like these.

Hey, and Aubrey, good luck in the interview!!!

What kind of curriculum guidelines are there? Are we free to supplement with our own curriculum choices within our classes?

What is the school's philosophy for working with students who have disabilities or who require differentiation? (In other words, how do they 'think outside the box' if there is a need?)

What requirements are there for after-school hours? Are there times that both my dh and I would need to be working? (speaking of after school hours, of course)

I don't know...I haven't had an interview for almost 14 years and I can't exactly recall which position it is you are applying for. But I would agree with the suggestion to focus on questions about the teaching position and school policies & such for the first interview. Maybe a few cultural questions, but not many.

You're going to do great! You've certainly got lots of cyberspace positive vibes on your side. :D

Good luck!

Ooh, I had the differentiation question on my list, but I couldn't remember the word--thanks!

One of the realms of culture/teaching that I'm really curious about is the MKs (& anyone else who's boarding)--I imagine working w/ kids whose parents are out of the country would present a unique set of concerns. I imagine--to some degree--all the staffers will be sort-of like foster parents. Obviously dorm parents to a much greater degree, but even teachers at least a little. That's not a good sentence, but hopefully it makes sense!

I wish there were a reading list on their site. I think you can tell a lot about a school by what they have kids reading in what yr.

Edited by Aubrey

Husband moved away from Texas at twenty-one and never looked back.

Laura

LOL--mine's the other extreme. If we (Tx) still had a president, I think he'd skip seminary & go into politics. :D You've seen the Tx map of the US? He didn't draw it, but it has deeply spoken to his sense of geography. :lol:

I'm a little nervous to interview WITH dh, lol, because we get excited in the same conversations & could easily talk over ea other.

This could be a good thing, though! Just be yourself - sounds like you've got a pretty good list/chart going there already.

This is so exciting to follow your story! Good luck in your interview! Come back and tell us right away!:D

No. Scones are triangles that come from Starbucks. Like this: scones1_lg.jpg

Huh? That looks like cake! Well I've learned something. I always wondered what you guys called scones and don't know why I've left it this long to find out.

Anyway, there's nothing like a food related conversation to detour a thread is there?

Well, how did it go?????

Did you and dh talk at the same time? Did you get questions answered? How do you feel?? Did you get to talk to Heather?

No, I didn't get to talk to Heather--can you believe it? LOL But since she's the elem principal, I guess that would have been weird.

Did we talk at the same time? Not too badly. It was kind-of fun to interview together, although dh had to use his "business" voice, which wigs me out, but that's ok. We laughed a lot. I've got this feeling that anyone crazy enough to go to the other side of the world has got to be our kind of people, & so we must be going to like them, & they must be going to like us. (That's the future imaginary tense, in case you were wondering.)

Questions...it's only an hour interview. How could we possibly find out what we need to know in that amt of time while also making ourselves look not crazy? :lol: I had two pages of questions I wasn't embarrassed to ask. I got to ask maybe 6 of them. Should have kicked dh off the phone at that point, I guess. :glare:

I feel the same way I've felt for weeks: A GREAT. BIG. YES. inside. Right next to the GREAT. BIG. NO. A MAYBE might be clearer, lol.

I told him what I imagined would be good about it & what I expected to be hard, & he said, ayup. So it is what it is. The question, really, is what am I? (And, of course, do they want me?)

Assuming they want me & looking at my life objectively, I have a statistical probability of choosing whichever route is the hardest, most unusual, most difficult & insane. (I realize that got repetitive, but it developed a nice rhythm, & I thought I'd just let it flow.)

He did ask how my writing would help me teach my students to write. I said, "Uhhhhhhhh..." Very succinct. Eloquent in the sense of its sparsity. :lol:

Huh? That looks like cake! Well I've learned something. I always wondered what you guys called scones and don't know why I've left it this long to find out.

Anyway, there's nothing like a food related conversation to detour a thread is there?

They are exactly like the scones you posted, actually, Rosie -- only a big blob of dough rolled out into a circle then cut into triangles with a big knife, instead of cut out in circles with a round cutter. We Americans like everything jam-packed with extras -- chocolate chips, dried fruit, you name it. I have to say, though, having an excuse to layer on some cream is an argument for a nice plain scone!

Most people don't make scones at home (too exotic, I guess); they buy them in shops, so that's where people are getting their ideas from. I totally agree that they are easy, but most people make American biscuits from dough that comes in a can (actually the same is probably true for what you call biscuits too), so scones are insurmountably complex.

I was reading an Australian cook book and they were comparing Australian sandwiches to American ones. Funny. I think we can say scones are the same.

----

Anyway, best wishes to you, Aubrey.

Did we talk at the same time? Not too badly. It was kind-of fun to interview together, although dh had to use his "business" voice, which wigs me out, but that's ok.
I interviewed for a job in Saudi when we were still living in the States. My oldest was a baby then; dh was supposed to meet me and keep the baby while I had the interview at a Kinko's teleconference room, but as usual he was late :glare: lol, so I had to do the interview with the baby tucked in his carseat sitting on the floor. Thankfully he only started to fuss towards the end, then the people interviewing me wanted to see him and all. It was cute, but only because it happened at the end and not the middle. (I did get the job offer, but decided not to take it.) One of the more unusual job interviews I've had, lol.

Glad yours seems to have gone ok!

It's the next morning, & I'm thinking.

Do I really want to work FT & leave my baby home w/ a sitter?

The big question has been hs'ing--I've always said I'm hs'ing for academic reasons, but honestly, this school's got me beat, easy, on that.

Dh says it's for religious reasons, but it's a Christian school in another country--I'm pretty sure they've got us beat there, too. Fwiw, we don't do Bible class at home & don't use Christian curriculum. If we care about those things, this school's better than we've been doing.

But there seems to be some deeper reason that we've been hsing. Something I've never named or realized & even now barely understand. Of course, I'm afraid that it's just a selfish, controlling thing, lol, in which case, we're better off w/out it.

There's the culture--American, I mean--that we'd like to avoid. My kids don't know who Hannah Montana is, think that commericals are the previews at the beginning of a movie, & have never heard of sibling rivalry. I'm sure those things would have to be less present in a Malaysian school than even an American private school, but could they really be completely absent? Or maybe not completely, but reasonably? The director's answer was not as conclusive as we'd have liked to hear, but really...could it be?

But even if it had--even if he'd said that the school is populated w/ angelic beings who have no knowledge of sin, led by teachers inspired by divine wisdom :lol:--I'm afraid there's still something else. It's almost as if we homeschool...because...it's who we are, what we are, like breathing & having yellow hair.

You can dye your hair, of course, & maybe even enjoy it, but down deep, your hair's still yellow. (Until it starts to gray!) So say we do this--even if we do the minimum 2 yrs & come home--say we pretend we're not hs'ers for a while--will we enjoy that color? Or will there be this awful sinking feeling deep in the pits of our stomachs?

I don't want to try to pretend to be something I'm not, but I don't want to be a big chicken, either.

I'm more convinced than ever, though, that dh will be deliriously happy. If they like him half as much as he's going to like them...well...that will be one happy place, lol. And he could sure do with some happy.

Thanks for listening. :001_smile:

I so understand all of your concerns. I don't think I could do it. However, if it was something I knew would make my husband "deliriously happy" not to mention the exciting learning opportunity for my family, I think I could do just about anything for two years. I pray it all works out the way it is supposed to for your family.

Aubrey, I agree that these concerns are completely normal. Remember Heather going through this exact same thing? She was back and forth and scared until something clicked, like God turned on a switch and that was that: firm conviction and no turning back. Take one day at a time, and trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He WILL direct your path. (Prov 3:5-6)

It's the next morning, & I'm thinking.

Do I really want to work FT & leave my baby home w/ a sitter?

The big question has been hs'ing--I've always said I'm hs'ing for academic reasons, but honestly, this school's got me beat, easy, on that.

Dh says it's for religious reasons, but it's a Christian school in another country--I'm pretty sure they've got us beat there, too. Fwiw, we don't do Bible class at home & don't use Christian curriculum. If we care about those things, this school's better than we've been doing.

But there seems to be some deeper reason that we've been hsing. Something I've never named or realized & even now barely understand. Of course, I'm afraid that it's just a selfish, controlling thing, lol, in which case, we're better off w/out it.

There's the culture--American, I mean--that we'd like to avoid. My kids don't know who Hannah Montana is, think that commericals are the previews at the beginning of a movie, & have never heard of sibling rivalry. I'm sure those things would have to be less present in a Malaysian school than even an American private school, but could they really be completely absent? Or maybe not completely, but reasonably? The director's answer was not as conclusive as we'd have liked to hear, but really...could it be?

But even if it had--even if he'd said that the school is populated w/ angelic beings who have no knowledge of sin, led by teachers inspired by divine wisdom :lol:--I'm afraid there's still something else. It's almost as if we homeschool...because...it's who we are, what we are, like breathing & having yellow hair.

You can dye your hair, of course, & maybe even enjoy it, but down deep, your hair's still yellow. (Until it starts to gray!) So say we do this--even if we do the minimum 2 yrs & come home--say we pretend we're not hs'ers for a while--will we enjoy that color? Or will there be this awful sinking feeling deep in the pits of our stomachs?

I don't want to try to pretend to be something I'm not, but I don't want to be a big chicken, either.

I'm more convinced than ever, though, that dh will be deliriously happy. If they like him half as much as he's going to like them...well...that will be one happy place, lol. And he could sure do with some happy.

Thanks for listening. :001_smile:

Aubrey,

This particular school has been around, serving the Asia-Pacific region, for quite a long time. I used to work with a worldwide missions organization, and know that some of the agency's missionaries sent their kids to this school. The org that I worked with is VERY family/community oriented, and I suspect that people wouldn't have sent their kids there unless it was that way. In fact, in a book I read recently, written by one of the orgs missionaries, Dalat was described as college-prep and with a family atmosphere. This guy's kids thrived there. (His name is Art Sanborn, and his book is called Walking Miracle, published by YWAM Publishing - I worked with YWAM - I told Heather about this book, she read it, AND she had Art and his son come speak at Dalat last fall!!!)

Sure, the academics and atmosphere there sounds very appealing. But I hear you on the "homeschooling because of who we are." Oh boy, I read ALL of the documents, and I REALLY wanted to apply to be dorm parents (we are not certified to teach), and dh and I talked about it. Dh and I met in YWAM, and we are adventurous - it was torture to decide that it wouldn't be best for us right now to consider applying. I asked Heather tons of questions via pm, and she patiently answered all of them.

But back to homeschooling because of who you are. You know, if you and dh are deep down excited about this possibility - if you think it might give your family a great atmosphere to be a part of for at least two years - if you are convinced that your dh will be deliriously happy, then I don't really think you will have to "pretend" you aren't homeschoolers - you will still be homeschoolers, you'll just be outsourcing some teaching to people who really do seem to care about their students - and isn't Heather the principal of the elementary school? She would be in charge of your kids, and she KNOWS the heart of a homeschooler! Have you seen her posts on some things she is working on changing there? Successfully apparently?

Oh, I know, how can you *really* know these things, esp. when you are considering moving your family to the other side of the earth. But I do believe Dalat has a great rep for family/community atmosphere, and I've seen Heather's posts here for years. If we had applied, I am pretty sure I would have enjoyed meeting her and working with her, because of who she seems to be here. And if I like what I've seen here, and if she seems to enjoy it there, then I would conclude that I would probably enjoy the other people there, too.

I'd imagine the school won't be completely free of unwanted cultural influence, but from my "read" of different sources, the atmosphere seems to be one of caring teachers and dorm parents. I think it's just different than what you might expect or hear about private boarding schools in America. I think it's not just a boarding school, it's a community and a lifestyle.

I also get the impression that it won't be like "working Moms" here in N. America - I think if you have a nanny there, she will be from a family-oriented culture, not just someone looking for a job. I also get the impression that it's not like you will be separated from your family - you could probably have lunch with your babies, and with your school-age children.

Now, I can't really remember why we didn't apply. sigh. yes, I'm trying to talk you into taking a job if you are offered, and no, you don't have to listen to me if you ultimately think it's not something you want to do. :D But it sure is fun living through you here.:D

Edited by Colleen in NS
fixed a thought

Is there a rule that you have to teach? Could you survive there on just your husband's pay?

The server ate my other reply. There's no rule, I don't know if his salary would be enough--I guess I think it *would* but not nec enough above enough to go around the world?

But he's not certified, has no classroom experience. I do. I have a master's in ed. I actually like the idea of teaching there. If they wanted a pt teacher, that might be perfect, kwim? I just like wiggle room, lol.

Change sucks, and I am the last one to accept it. Although, I love moving to new places. I like the thrill and smell of a new house, kind of like a new car. I hate change.

I have change up the wazoo, right now, w/the oldest scouting colleges. Everyday, like you I think of some other reason that this cannot happen, and something else I need to do.

But, than I think its inevitable. Take change by the reins and just ride, whether its a bucking bronc or a gentle lamb. Its only two yrs punkin, it will be a fun little side adventure.

Hey we can be "change" buddies, b/c by fall things are going to be a whole lot different here too.

I hope you get it.

But back to homeschooling because of who you are. You know, if you and dh are deep down excited about this possibility - if you think it might give your family a great atmosphere to be a part of for at least two years - if you are convinced that your dh will be deliriously happy, then I don't really think you will have to "pretend" you aren't homeschoolers - you will still be homeschoolers, you'll just be outsourcing some teaching to people who really do seem to care about their students - and isn't Heather the principal of the elementary school? She would be in charge of your kids, and she KNOWS the heart of a homeschooler! Have you seen her posts on some things she is working on changing there? Successfully apparently?

I've looked at it like you're saying. I plan to still do history at home, for ex, if for nothing else than to transition us, & to finish SOTW, lol--I have to know how it ends! :lol:

Heather is the principal, & from everything I've read here, heard from her via pm, & heard from her boss (!), I'm excited to have her involved in my kids' education. I'm not at all worried about that part. Anything I read that I had the slightest academic inkling I didn't like has either already been changed (by Heather!) or is being changed.

I'd imagine the school won't be completely free of unwanted cultural influence, but from my "read" of different sources, the atmosphere seems to be one of caring teachers and dorm parents. I think it's just different than what you might expect or hear about private boarding schools in America. I think it's not just a boarding school, it's a community and a lifestyle.

I also get the impression that it won't be like "working Moms" here in N. America - I think if you have a nanny there, she will be from a family-oriented culture, not just someone looking for a job. I also get the impression that it's not like you will be separated from your family - you could probably have lunch with your babies, and with your school-age children.

Yeah, I'm checking on things like lunch w/ kids. I'm sure there's a lot more family-orientedness & togetherness than the avg 2 income family here. It's just that we're not that, kwim? I think that taking the stress of unemployment/underemployment off of...well, all of us, really...will make up for a lot of differences that we might not love.

I've put my kids in daycare (the bigs) before. I did not always regret that--it depended on the circumstances. When ds was little, his daycare was so great, so helpful to me as a 1st time mom, that I count those women a blessing. But I was also in school, &/or working PT. I could keep him to go to the grocery store if I wanted, or I could drop him off, go to class, write a paper. I felt very involved. He was never the last one out or the first one in.

Later, though, when I was teaching, the new place was really bad. I saw him change, & he didn't have the emotional language to tell me what was wrong. He's a super sensitive kid. I was working 80 hrs/ wk, & it was depressing all around. My admin might have qualified as abusive to the staff, lol--crossing both legal boundaries & ethical. But I was 23 & came from a rough childhood & took it because I scare easy. :glare: I don't want to be stuck in something like that for 2 yrs on the other side of the planet. Not that I *at all* expect this to be like that!

Now, I can't really remember why we didn't apply. sigh. yes, I'm trying to talk you into taking a job if you are offered, and no, you don't have to listen to me if you ultimately think it's not something you want to do. :D But it sure is fun living through you here.:D

Part of my fear? We'll love it & never come home. And I know, if we love it, then that will be a good thing, lol, & it's not like we *really* love it here right now. Still...I know that whether we stay or return, we will not return this way again. The friends that we've loved here will most likely be permanently memories. The friends there will gain the same status. Either way, there will be a lifetime of good-byes. And even that, I know, is better than having never met these people, but still. It gives me pause.

I have a way of looking backwards from the future. I see myself back here someday & telling about the time we spent in Malaysia, as if it were already a part of my history, & you know what? I see such joy in the stories I have to share & friendships I have tasted. And I look back further in my life, & all I see are decisions marked by courage. I never take the more-traveled road. I've heard stories about it, so no matter how good it sounds, curiosity demands that I go the other way.

Still...we haven't been hired. I need to think about cleaning the bathroom & grammar! But it's SO hard. :D

Edited by Aubrey

Change sucks, and I am the last one to accept it. Although, I love moving to new places. I like the thrill and smell of a new house, kind of like a new car. I hate change.

I have change up the wazoo, right now, w/the oldest scouting colleges. Everyday, like you I think of some other reason that this cannot happen, and something else I need to do.

But, than I think its inevitable. Take change by the reins and just ride, whether its a bucking bronc or a gentle lamb. Its only two yrs punkin, it will be a fun little side adventure.

Hey we can be "change" buddies, b/c by fall things are going to be a whole lot different here too.

I hope you get it.

But, Jet, what if my a/c goes out THERE? :lol:

It's not about pretending we ARE hs'ers, it's about pretending we're not.

Rats! I meant to write it the other way - I knew what you meant - sorry about that! :D You don't want to hide in a school/job and pretend you aren't homeschoolers.

Coming back later to respond to the rest.

(I really hope you get this job and go for it. It sounds like you really want to go, despite your fears.)

EDIT: I fixed the part of my previous post that you corrected me on, to make it what I really meant.

Edited by Colleen in NS

It's just that we're not that, kwim? I think that taking the stress of unemployment/underemployment off of...well, all of us, really...will make up for a lot of differences that we might not love.

And because it'll be such a completely different situation than what you'd have here as a 2-income family, you'd probably find things to love about the situation that you aren't even thinking about right now. I think it's more of a "ministry" opportunity that you and dh and your family can do together, and you get paid for it! (the $ benefits just bowled me over when I read them) I'm thinking the whole community aspect would be wonderful. All those families there for the same purpose, and supporting each other.

I was working 80 hrs/ wk, & it was depressing all around. My admin might have qualified as abusive to the staff, lol--crossing both legal boundaries & ethical. But I was 23 & came from a rough childhood & took it because I scare easy. :glare: I don't want to be stuck in something like that for 2 yrs on the other side of the planet. Not that I *at all* expect this to be like that!

Gee, I'd bet that this would be a walk in the park compared to what you endured!

Part of my fear? We'll love it & never come home. And I know, if we love it, then that will be a good thing, lol, & it's not like we *really* love it here right now. Still...I know that whether we stay or return, we will not return this way again. The friends that we've loved here will most likely be permanently memories. The friends there will gain the same status. Either way, there will be a lifetime of good-byes. And even that, I know, is better than having never met these people, but still. It gives me pause.

I definitely can relate to the lifetime of goodbyes. I had so many good friends when I worked with YWAM. Some I tried to keep in touch with when I was done, some I lost track of. But Facebook helped me find some of the nearest and dearest, and I've actually been able to see some of them again - one of them is coming to visit me in April, and I can't wait to see her again! Those really precious friendships that you make - they become memories, but some of them may continue to bless you for a long part of your life.

you know what? I see such joy in the stories I have to share & friendships I have tasted. And I look back further in my life, & all I see are decisions marked by courage. I never take the more-traveled road. I've heard stories about it, so no matter how good it sounds, curiosity demands that I go the other way.

I really, really hope this all works out for you. I'll bet you could use a really good history like the one you are "looking back on already."