Menu

Getting work done without sound effects

THANK YOU for posting this! I thought I was just a bad HSing mom for not being able to get my kiddos to shush up already! My 2 year old DD is by far the worst. She cannot do anything without babbling or singing. Though my DS can hold his own--mostly car sounds and crashes. It makes reading out loud really difficult because they just can't be quiet. I have actually decided to switch over to mostly workbooks next year vs mostly oral learning because they seem to be able to do that a lot easier despite their inability to be quiet.

Is it even possible?

Even they find it distracting but unable to stop themselves from doing it.

Not at our house. My middle is the worst offender. When one (or both) of the other kids needs to concentrate I have her rub her fingers together or snap rubber bands instead of the other noises. It works well for short periods of time.

Is it even possible?

Even they find it distracting but unable to stop themselves from doing it.

I hear the Pearl's have a method..........................................................................................................................

Yeah, iow, no. Short of removing vocal chords (or constant corporal punishment) I don't think it's possible.

Sorry! I sang constantly as a kid and probably made sound effects, too, because I keep noticing that I still do. I think my world is surrounded by my own onomatopoeias. It is at those moments when I hear myself do it and then realize that no other moms seem to do it, that I wonder about myself. :)

Is it even possible?

Heh. That was my thought when I read the thread title? It's possible???????

Playing background music helps. Some days. :glare:

Otherwise I recommend that one or the other (noisemaker or person deeply offended to the core :nopity: by the noise) go work elsewhere.

Cat

Duct tape??

But then they move to tapping pencils, clicking pens, bouncing erasers or just something else!

We went through a phase where I got all my WWE answers in opera form for awhile.

I should make him go back to that. While they were in opera style, at least they were almost always in a complete sentence!

No it is not possible. My worst offender likes to hum while doing his math because it helps him concentrate, and not hear anyone else.

Oh! Mine ds does that too! In fact it seems that he does it ALL THE TIME!

I'm so glad he's not the only one. OP, thanks for starting this thread.

It's been SO good to read what goes on with other kids. I was starting

to wonder if I should be stricter and not allow any noise....:glare:

I guess it is a good thing we are homeschooling. Otherwise, I'll be getting

notes from the teacher everyday!

This is one of the many reasons why we love our ipods. Their work is better when they've been listening to something.

Except for when they sing along. Both of them. To TWO. DIFFERENT. SONGS. At that point, I leave the room. Usually to my room, where I turn on MY music, at a high volume! :bigear:

Except for when they sing along. Both of them. To TWO. DIFFERENT. SONGS. At that point, I leave the room. Usually to my room, where I turn on MY music, at a high volume! :bigear:

:iagree: The DDs are still at elbow/hovering for most things, so I listen to lectures on the laptop next to them. Except SWB - too disruptive when I laugh out loud!

I've just been reading a book on this very topic - Fidget to Focus, by Roland Rotz, which has some good suggestions for fidget strategies that don't drive everyone around you nuts.

Honestly, some days I wonder how teachers can manage with 20+ plus students. If you call my house during lessons you'd think I was a zookeeper.

:lol::lol:

My son loves David Attenborough and has been doing a Screaming Piha imitation for years. Check out this Xeno-Canto website for recordings of birdsounds from all over the world. Love the name.

http://www.xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=Screaming+Piha