Menu

old post

Seems more than reasonable to me. I don't see how it would be illegal. If the dogs are on your property, they pose a safety risk to your family. In fact, I think leaving a note is very courteous. A lot of people I know own BB guns just for the purpose of keeping dogs out of their yards! :001_unsure:

Do anything other than calling the police. The poor man in this article works at my vet's ofc. My dog is a runner. If she darts out the door or wriggles away before we can get the leash on, she's outta here. Doesn't happen often, we go after her until we get her back (biggest danger are the highways around here), but good grief, if the police showed up and took her out, I'd be beside myself.

Talk to the family if you can. Find out what the deal is and see how they can keep thier dogs in thier own yard. If not, a note would probably do the trick, too.:D

Edited by LauraGB
spelling

Do anything other than calling the police. The poor man in this article works at my vet's ofc. My dog is a runner. If she darts out the door or wriggles away before we can get the leash on, she outta here. Doesn't happen often, we go after her until we get her back (biggest danger are the highways around here), but good grief, if the police showed up and took her out, I'd be beside myself.

Talk to the family if you can. Find out what the deal is and see how they can keep thier dogs in thier own yard. If not, a note would probably do the trick, too.:D

Mine is a runner too. She escapes at every given opportunity. Her head is smaller than her neck. Take her out on a leash, she sometimes slips it over her head and takes off. I got a harness thinking it would stop her. Nope, she took it off like a sweater. :glare: Other than that, she's a perfect dog. She just really loves to RUN and be free. Walking her just isn't good enough for her. It is the hound in her. I don't chase her. It does no good.

I think putting a note in a ziploc is a good idea. Do you know if the dogs are getting out or being let out?

How about just leaving a note on your neighbor's door? I'd be concerned that the dog would scratch the baggie off, chew on it, and choke on it or ingest some of it. It's not the dog's fault that it is not properly confined.

:iagree: If you know who the dog belings to, I think this is a better option. Then if it continues to happen frequently, calling the cops or animal control would be my next move.

I had a neighbor "dog nap" my little dog when I was a teenager.

My dog (a spastic, hilarious, poodle/dachshund/terrier mix named Rufus) loved to run up and down the street at 7:30 every morning. He'd come right home -- was never gone more than 5 minutes. I never took into account the fact that he barked all the way up and down the street, and that the neighbors might not appreciate him as their alarm clock.

Anyway, he disappeared one morning. Didn't come home for a week. Then, one day, I got a call from a man who said he was our neighbor, and that he had my dog. He told me he didn't appreciate being awakened every morning by my dog's barking, and that he would only give him back if I promised not to let him out anymore.

Me: "Ummm. Okay. I'm sorry!"

I got my goofy dog back, and didn't let him out anymore (at least not early in the morning).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course, this was 30 years ago, and the laws may be different nowadays. I'd call your animal control dept. (anonymously at first) and ask them what you can do, short of turning in your neighbors.

Are you sure that you can attach a note safely? For you, I mean, not the dog! I'd be worried that they would try to bite you.

:iagree: I was wondering the same thing. Yes, I do agree that contacting the owner is some way is the nicest and most reasonable thing to do -- just don't get hurt in the process!

For those of you with escape artist dogs:

google coyote runners

ETA - Oooops. DUH, I'm an idiot. Coyote ROLLERS. ROLLERS to deter runners. Here's the link http://www.coyoteroller.com/coyote_roller

You can make your own out of pvc pipe & strong wire mounted on a regular fence.

I adopted a 3yo malamute x who had been picked up by the animal control officers numerous times. She was a 'repeat offender' & luckily for her she was easy to catch because she loves people and cookies so any friendly overtures were meant with excstatic tail wags and a happy jump into the truck. She was bailed out by owners numerous times and then finally, when after several litters of puppies (can you say scum back yard breeder?) she was sick and suffering from infection, & they just didn't claim her. Didn't want a dog that couldn't produce some tax free $ for them once or twice a year. :glare:

I have a dog yard with 4 foot fencing. She could jump that without trying. And yet she never once challenged that fence.

The way we accomplished this: For the first 6 mos or so she was never allowed there unsupervised. Someone was always watching her & playing with her & doing training AND she was either walked 3 times a day for 30+ minutes & or went to the park. That dog had absolutely no desire to jump that fence & go anywhere.

Dogs that habitually jump fencers - including northern breeds like malamutes and huskies - are BORED and underexercised. The dogs I foster are 'reserve dogs' - mixes of northern breeds using to roaming the country side. Never once have I had one jump a fence.

To the OP - honestly, I would call animal control. In fact, I have on several occasions. Twice I kept the dog here overnight because they don't pick up at night. Other times, the dog was just here for as long as it took me to call them up.

If the dogs had ID on them - which has also happened, I called the clinic and the microchip company tag & the owners came to pick their dog up with many apologies and many thanks that someone picked their dog up and kept it safe.

I try hard to snag any loose dog running around. I have spare leashes in my pocket and in the car. See a loose dog, brake, hop out with leash & treats while speed dialling animal control to come and assist.

BUT I live in a no kill sheltering municipality with pretty progressive staff and policies. In MY municipality there's very low chance that being picked up by animal control will mean a death sentence for the dog. It does mean a >$100 fine for the owners, + extra fines if it turns out the dog wasn't licenced. A few municipalities over, it's a different issue - a high volume kill shelter - so that makes it harder to know what to do in that area.

I think the problem with the note is that it probably won't change much. Most owners KNOW their dog is straying. They either don't care or they can't figure out a solution. So I think the only point of the note is if it's a thinly veiled threat - next time, animal control will be called. That's not such a bad idea.

If you know where the dogs live, I'd probably just print out the bylaws about this, highlight the relevant sections and shove them in their mailbox. The passive aggressive in me would add a leash with a big note saying 'walk your dog!'.

Edited by hornblower

We have an inground electric fence but our dog, a husky mix, would just take the hit (even after loads of training and eventually setting the collar on high) and run across anyway and then not come back across.

That is what we think our dog will end up doing :glare:. She's quite determined and fairly dopey.

Some dogs are hardened criminals and cannot be trusted.

:lol:

I think the problem with the note is that it probably won't change much. Most owners KNOW their dog is straying. They either don't care or they can't figure out a solution. So I think the only point of the note is if it's a thinly veiled threat - next time, animal control will be called. That's not such a bad idea.

:iagree: I read the OP again and I get the impression she is saying the dogs are just loose on purpose. We have 3 dogs in our neighborhood, only one street with no exit, that the owners just let run outside. The dogs stand in the street and just look at me when I'm trying to drive by. I have to inch forward to persuade them to move. I've thought about phoning animal control and perhaps I should. I would hate to be blamed for hitting them in the normal course of driving on my street. I really don't understand how they think this okay. I think it's sad, especially because our houses are one street away from a highway with a 55mph speed limit. But then again, these dogs have been out every day for the 4 years I've lived here. I guess they know better than to leave our street.

Do anything other than calling the police. The poor man in this article works at my vet's ofc. My dog is a runner. If she darts out the door or wriggles away before we can get the leash on, she's outta here. Doesn't happen often, we go after her until we get her back (biggest danger are the highways around here), but good grief, if the police showed up and took her out, I'd be beside myself.

Read the article, wow, that would stink. All the same, I am surprised he's not being charged with anything, especially since he's filing a complaint.

I agree, talking to the family is (imo) the best first step. All the same, they could just not care. If they don't care, you can trap/catch and hold their beast until animal control/dog warden shows up to cart the little darling away. Paying a fee tends to make people a little more careful.

We have an inground electric fence but our dog, a husky mix, would just take the hit (even after loads of training and eventually setting the collar on high) and run across anyway and then not come back across. Some dogs are hardened criminals and cannot be trusted.

:lol:

For those of you with escape artist dogs:

google coyote runners

A friend wants me to thank you for that advice (you posted this ages ago on a different thread). Her dog is finally forced to stay in the yard and they were able to take down the plywood that extended their fence to 20 feet high. You're a hero ;)

A friend wants me to thank you for that advice (you posted this ages ago on a different thread). Her dog is finally forced to stay in the yard and they were able to take down the plywood that extended their fence to 20 feet high. You're a hero ;)

Yay!!! I'm so glad. These things can really make a difference and they're a surprisingly simple solution to jumpers.

:001_smile:

We have coyotes, bears and mountain lions - they keep the loose dog population down. When a neighbor's dog is loose around here, it gets leashed and walked home (not just by me but everyone. I think most people in my neighborhood have dogs). I have walked the same beagle home dozens of times plus several other dogs. If the neighbor isn't home, the general practice is to put the dog in the yard and leave a note on the door. Other than the beagle, most dogs only get out a few times before either the problem is fixed or the coyote gets them. If it were dogs that are out because the owner is too lazy to try to fence them in, then I'd take them back once then start calling animal control.

Yay!!! I'm so glad. These things can really make a difference and they're a surprisingly simple solution to jumpers.

:001_smile:

:iagree: and it really doesn't look too bad. Much better than the alternatives I've seen (except invisible fences, but I hate the idea of shock treatments period).

Personally, I do see a problem with a note. I consider that passive aggressive. If you can't say something nicely and to my face, I don't think you should say it.

I also wouldn't have a problem with my neighbor letting their dog run around and I am surprised so many people do. If it isn't hurting anybody, then oh well. If it gets hit by a car, then that's awful and hopefully the owner will learn their lesson. The neighbor's dog is leashed outside and wakes me up in the morning with its barking. I would *prefer* it if that dog were running around so I would not have to listen to it.

When I see a neighbor's dog running around I put it on its leash in its yard for the safety of the dog. I don't leave a note. What they do is none of my business so long as it isn't hurting anyone.

I also think it is kind of rude that many of you assume the owner is lazy if they know their dog is out and they aren't fencing it. I would assume they can't afford a new fence and didn't realize keeping the dog in would be such a problem. If their only choice is to have a dog that gets out or to send the dog to the pound to maybe die, I don't blame them for having a dog that gets out. Maybe they are lazy, but I wouldn't just assume that.

It is against the law in the OP's jurisdiction and in many others.

In other jurisdictions, it may not be against the law but it's unsafe for the animal. When dumb owners do stupid things to endanger their animals, I don't just shrug my shoulders and say 'oh well, too bad if the animal dies'. I intervene on behalf of the animal.

Dogs need exercise, supervision and companionship. Owners who do not provide that, who chain up dogs or let them run loose in areas where they'll get hit by cars or shot by irate farmers (pretty much everywhere farmers have the right to shoot any dog troubling livestock) ARE lazy. If they didn't have the $ to get a fence, they should be out walking the dog 3x a day on a leash & keeping it safe indoors at other times.

I would doubt that it would be illegal since it would be harmless. Seems like a nice idea to try, if the dogs will let you catch them and if you can't locate the owners directly.

However, it might tick off the owners. I have had such bad luck in those sorts of situations. The owners are typically totally uninterested in recifying the situation. AC will probably be required to intervene, and even with that you'll probably have to make repeat complaints. . .

We once had neighbor dogs who used to trespass on our property and harass our chickens. Killed a few and tormented the others. . . We talked about getting a paintball gun loaded with red paint. . . and just "marking them" as a warning. . . (and to make in obvious to the owners that we were correct when we kept telling them it was THEIR dogs on our property going after our chickens. . .) We talked to the neighbors with very little progress. The sherriff even talked to them a couple times. . . Then they'd tie up the dogs most days but let them run at night and on the weekends. . . .The dogs ultimately killed all our chickens, over several gory "visits".

FWIW, in most places (including GA where we had our chicken/dog problem), it is totally legal to KILL animals who are on your property and harrasssing or otherwise harming your animals (or of course, you or other people). However, if you just maim/injure the animal, you'd likely be liable for vet bills. So, if you are gonna' shoot, aim to kill. I'm too much of a softie and like dogs too much, so I couldn't do that, but we were sorely tempted with that chicken situation.

Nowadays, we make sure we have good fences on our property and that prevents most issues. We are lucky not to have any problematic dogs in our area, but if I did, I'd be quick to call AC. . .

Anyway, if I had neighbor dogs who were bothering me. . . I'd mention it to the owners at least once nicely -- directly or via your note idea (assuming I wasn't afraid of the owners). . . and after that, I'd call animal control. It's not like AC is going to arrest them. . . they'll talk to the owners, put them on notice. . . and ticket them if there are repeat offenses. . .

Good luck!

I also wouldn't have a problem with my neighbor letting their dog run around and I am surprised so many people do. If it isn't hurting anybody, then oh well.

It only takes one instance for a startled dog to bite someone, and then it IS hurting someone. Are you willing to take that chance with YOUR children? Your DH? Yourself? I love dogs, and I was bitten by a "friendly" neighborhood dog because I happened to be holding a baby monitor in my hand. Who can predict that? In addition, many people live in terror of dogs. It's not OK that their right to live in peace in their own yards is usurped by lazy, selfish dog owners who don't feel that they need to conform to the same laws that others live by.

I also think it is kind of rude that many of you assume the owner is lazy if they know their dog is out and they aren't fencing it. I would assume they can't afford a new fence and didn't realize keeping the dog in would be such a problem. If their only choice is to have a dog that gets out or to send the dog to the pound to maybe die, I don't blame them for having a dog that gets out. Maybe they are lazy, but I wouldn't just assume that.

If a dog is out roaming more than few times with no owner in sight or coming along soon after searching for it, yes, I'd consider that owner lazy. A fence is not the only way to contain a dog. If you can't afford a fence, keep the dog inside or leashed.

When dumb owners do stupid things to endanger their animals, I don't just shrug my shoulders and say 'oh well, too bad if the animal dies'. I intervene on behalf of the animal.

Dogs need exercise, supervision and companionship. Owners who do not provide that, who chain up dogs or let them run loose in areas where they'll get hit by cars or shot by irate farmers (pretty much everywhere farmers have the right to shoot any dog troubling livestock) ARE lazy. If they didn't have the $ to get a fence, they should be out walking the dog 3x a day on a leash & keeping it safe indoors at other times.

As I said, I intervene as well. I leash the dog in its own yard for the safety of the dog. I don't, however, tell the owner something they already know, and if I were to do so, I would find a nice way to tell them personally, to their face. As many people on this thread have mentioned, dogs can push their way out the door. You shouldn't assume they are not being walked either. I once had a dog who would still run off after going on an hour long walk with me. We ended up finding a nice farm for him to live on with lots of space to run all the time, but my point is that it was not due to my laziness that my dog wanted to run.

So if you are breaking the law, and I know you are braking the law, and maybe you know you are breaking the law, it is my duty to inform you?

Nope. I would say it is not your job to inform them. You're the one who wanted to inform. I just think it should be done nicely and to their face if you're going to do it.

If a person cares so little about his neighbors that he lets his dog run lose through people's yards all the time (I understand it happening occasionally) without making sure the neighbors don't mind then I can't imagine that person caring if I ask him nicely to stop.

I'm terrified of dogs. Many people are. Why should I have to tolerate someone's dog in my own yard? Again, I probably could get over it happening sometimes, but all the time? No.

Who says they don't care? Perhaps it hasn't occurred to them that some people get so upset about loose dogs? You don't have to tolerate it. Just tell them nicely that it bothers you.

It only takes one instance for a startled dog to bite someone, and then it IS hurting someone. Are you willing to take that chance with YOUR children? Your DH? Yourself? I love dogs, and I was bitten by a "friendly" neighborhood dog because I happened to be holding a baby monitor in my hand. Who can predict that? In addition, many people live in terror of dogs. It's not OK that their right to live in peace in their own yards is usurped by lazy, selfish dog owners who don't feel that they need to conform to the same laws that others live by.

If a dog is out roaming more than few times with no owner in sight or coming along soon after searching for it, yes, I'd consider that owner lazy. A fence is not the only way to contain a dog. If you can't afford a fence, keep the dog inside or leashed.

Again, as has already been mentioned on this thread, keeping a dog inside can be tricky. Keeping a dog leashed can be tricky too. It took me years of searching to find a leash I could leave my dog on while we were gone that she could not get off.

Again, as has already been mentioned on this thread, keeping a dog inside can be tricky. Keeping a dog leashed can be tricky too. It took me years of searching to find a leash I could leave my dog on while we were gone that she could not get off.

As I said in this thread I own, and foster northern breed dogs - husky, malamute x's. You don't need to explain to me about dogs and outside and running. My other dog is a gun dog & will also run for miles. Both my dogs had a previous history of straying. Seeing how my english setter runs, I expect he was picked up several counties over from where he lived. He (& pretty much all the fosters I have, which come from northern native villages where they've been running all their lives) also had a hankering for bolting through doors. It's fixable, trainable, manageable. Yes, accidents do happen - that's why dogs need their microchips, their collars with ID and need to be trained to be friendly to people, so someone can pick them up and get them back to their owners. But it should be an accident - not a habit excused because 'it's tricky'.

Oh & a leash is something that is held on the other end by a person.

A tether is what people use to tie out dogs. And in MY jurisdiction, it is illegal to tether dogs. I can only imagine what your solution ended up being. I will never stop speaking out against tie outs.

Dogs deserve better - unchain your dog.

I suspect this is falling on deaf ears as far as you're concerned but I wanted to get this out there for anyone else reading who simply did not know about the cruelty of tie outs and the solutions for escape artist dogs (esp the coyote rollers) and the responsibility owners have to find creative, gentle solutions to these problems.

As I said in this thread I own, and foster northern breed dogs - husky, malamute x's. You don't need to explain to me about dogs and outside and running. My other dog is a gun dog & will also run for miles. Both my dogs had a previous history of straying. Seeing how my english setter runs, I expect he was picked up several counties over from where he lived. He (& pretty much all the fosters I have, which come from northern native villages where they've been running all their lives) also had a hankering for bolting through doors. It's fixable, trainable, manageable. Yes, accidents do happen - that's why dogs need their microchips, their collars with ID and need to be trained to be friendly to people, so someone can pick them up and get them back to their owners. But it should be an accident - not a habit excused because 'it's tricky'.

Oh & a leash is something that is held on the other end by a person.

A tether is what people use to tie out dogs. And in MY jurisdiction, it is illegal to tether dogs. I can only imagine what your solution ended up being. I will never stop speaking out against tie outs.

Dogs deserve better - unchain your dog.

I suspect this is falling on deaf ears as far as you're concerned but I wanted to get this out there for anyone else reading who simply did not know about the cruelty of tie outs and the solutions for escape artist dogs (esp the coyote rollers) and the responsibility owners have to find creative, gentle solutions to these problems.

First of all, there is almost always someone at home in my house. We sometimes "tether" our dog so that she can run around the backyard when we go to the store for an hour. Thank you for assuming, something that seems to be happening a lot on this thread, that I would "tether" my dog often, for extended periods of time. If it is the case that you think it is cruel for a dog to be tethered ever, for any period of time, then I would just disagree. If however, an hour is too long even if it's only once in a while, please inform me. I thought she would prefer to be outside than alone in the house when the weather is nice, but if I'm wrong I'd like to know.

I never said "it's tricky" was an excuse to let your dog out all the time. Of course I don't think that's a good thing to do. I don't think smoking is a good thing to do either, and I don't go tell every smoking neighbor I have that what they're doing is harmful to them and their family members. They already know that and it's none of my business, so I'm not going to get worked up over it.

Good for you for promoting the coyote rollers. I don't personally intend to ever again own a dog that is able to jump over a fence, but I'll definitely pass the information on to anyone that I hear of having a problem with that. Raising awareness to help people and their pets is a positive thing that can help owners and pets. Assuming people don't care about their pets because they are unaware is not helping anyone.

Edited by crstarlette

Who says they don't care? Perhaps it hasn't occurred to them that some people get so upset about loose dogs? You don't have to tolerate it. Just tell them nicely that it bothers you.

I would much rather call the dog catcher or police if I saw a loose dog. I also think any dog owner who lets their dogs room loose must have their heads in the sand and are totally irresponsible IMHO since there have been reports of dog attacks. The only safe place for dogs to run free are on remote farms IMHO and even then there is still the risk the dog may run out into a road:(

As a doggie mama myself..I've had to deal with the fee's of being called on because my lil dd opened the front door and my dogs got out. The fee's were $100 per dog..I have 2 dogs. I was in tears. However I raised such a BIG stink about it in my neighborhood that it wasn't like I was being irresponsible and when the neighbors that called on me heard my story they felt awful and came and apologized.

Now when our dogs get out of the house (which isn't very often at all..maybe once every few months)...no one has seemed to call on us. Because #1 we're out looking for them.

So because of my experience I'd highly advise you contact the neighbor FIRST. THEN if they take no further action, I'd contact legal authorities.

Because like me I have 3 littles at home and when both my dogs get out I have to take all three kids out and look for my dogs on foot. It's not an easy task and the time they called on us was when I had a newborn at home and I didn't go out and find them and just hoped they come home soon. Never did I think I'd have dog police at my door. :(

Oh and I must note my dogs are not outside dogs as I don't believe in that. However our dogs our inside dogs.

Edited by mamaofblessings

Update: Yesterday evening, the dogs were back -- for the fifth or sixth day in a row. My 9yo was trapped across the street on the neighbor's porch because he was afraid to try to come home. By this time, I'd worked myself into such a state that I had no problem riding my adrenaline rush right up to the 'big house' down the street. :) I spoke very nicely to the lady inside :D. She said the dogs would not be allowed out any more without being supervised.

Now I feel I've done my neighborly duty and next time I'll just call the police. :D Thanks to everyone who responded. It is nice to get some differing POVs on the topic.

Wow. It's too bad that happened *before* you talked to her. I hate it when something bad happens right when I'm trying to figure out what to do about it. I hope it is all worked out for you now and I hope your poor dc feels better after the scare.