Menu

My piano keeps randomly playing a note by itself...

Every 30-60 minutes I hear a note played on the piano. There is nobody down there and the lid is closed. I'm pretty sure it's the same note each time. Is there something that could be wrong with it that could cause it? Is it haunted? Is there something in it (I looked but didn't see anything)?

Would a mongoose fit in a piano?

That's the strangest question I've asked anyone in a while....

Yes but I'm not sure it could squeeze behind it to climb in.

I'd rather prefer a musical ghost myself. :D (As long as it wasn't a mean piano teacher with a ruler ghost. :tongue_smilie:

True. ;)

Heavy trucks or trains going past your place and causing vibrations? Or people stomping around overhead? If you have a loose hammer, only one note might sound when the whole instrument gets a little jolt somehow.

Or, are you sure it's actually the piano, not something else making the sound?

Heavy trucks or trains going past your place and causing vibrations? Or people stomping around overhead?

No, nothing like that. The kids were playing outside part of the time, I was the only one upstairs. We live in a quiet area.

If you have a loose hammer, only one note might sound when the whole instrument gets a little jolt somehow.

Maybe...makes sense.

Or, are you sure it's actually the piano, not something else making the sound?

It's definitely the piano.

Are you sure it's the piano? There are so many electronic things that make sounds. Could it be a phone on low battery, a smoke detector with low battery, a watch, etc.? I'd leave the top open and sit or stand right by the piano and see if that's the direction of the sound. Being it's the same note, it doesn't sound like an animal in there, it sounds like a child's toy or some other electronic thing making the sound.

I like the holy water suggestion though! :lol:

Can a squirrel or mouse do that?

My first thought was a mouse. Our tuner says they like to hang out under they keys. Once he found a skeleton of a mouse that had been trapped there. Could there be something trapped there and trying to escape? Maybe he can only reach one key, little guy. :(

Like I said, I think it's more likely to be a lizard than a mouse. We have lots of lizards but I've never seen a mouse in this area. I did look inside and didn't see anything. Maybe I'll have dh look with a flashlight later.

Spycar-Do shotguns work on haunts? ;)

When we lived in Hawaii a mouse mommy had her litter of babies in my mom's organ. There was some kind of insulation or something around the electrical wires of the organ that the mouse fluffed up for her nest. We noticed it because some of the notes stopped playing and my dad took the whole thing apart and found the nest. We had lots of mice, but then our house was 50 years old at the time and probably had lots of little places for mice to get in. Still, just one note playing over and over doesn't sound like a critter is in there.

You folks are cracking me up! Wish I had something equally witty to contribute, but I will tell you that our piano does the same thing.

It is rather freaky when you realize it's just one quiet note. You can definitely hear it, but there's no one around to have played it.... shivers!

It's a big ol' parlor grand, about 35 years old. It's been moved all over the country, just so you know it's already got a certain... temperament. We think there has been a mouse in it some time while it was in storage, but we have zero critter issues at present.

We first noticed this when we moved from south Florida to the upper midwest plains. It seems to happen when the central heat is cycling off and on during the winter. I realize you don't have the same climate, but we think it has something to do with changes in humidity and/or air pressure. Sort of like a piano string is clearing its ears, so to speak, like a diver has to do.

I have no explanation for the mechanics of it, just know that you are not alone.

On the other hand, perhaps my musical spectre has decided to return to a warm climate and you're the lucky new family....:eek:

Edited by AuntieM
Oh my goodness, I killed a kitten...in response to Mrs. Mungo, of all people!

My initial thought was: can anyone else hear it? If it's only one person hearing it, it could be a sign of an inner ear infection or a very early sign of a hearing problem.

But now that I read AuntieM's climate theory, that sounds the most feasible. If you have not had a huge climate change recently, has anyone spilled any liquid on/in the piano?

You folks are cracking me up! Wish I had something equally witty to contribute, but I will tell you that our piano does the same thing.

It is rather freaky when you realize it's just one quiet note. You can definitely hear it, but there's no one around to have played it.... shivers!

It's a big ol' parlor grand, about 35 years old. It's been moved all over the country, just so you know it's already got a certain... temperament. We think there has been a mouse in it some time while it was in storage, but we have zero critter issues at present.

We first noticed this when we moved from south Florida to the upper midwest plains. It seems to happen when the central heat is cycling off and on during the winter. I realize you don't have the same climate, but we think it has something to do with changes in humidity and/or air pressure. Sort of like a piano string is clearing its ears, so to speak, like a diver has to do.

I have no explanation for the mechanics of it, just know that you are not alone.

On the other hand, perhaps my musical spectre has decided to return to a warm climate and you're the lucky new family....:eek:

This sounds feasible. Air conditioning and heating units have been the culprit in a lot of instances where people thought they had a haunted house. "Why is that door closed? I NEVER close that door!" "The window just OPENED all by itself!" etc.

If the air pressure changes due to the A/C or heater cycling on (of off) and one of the hammers is loose, that is probably it!

Why don't you give Remudamom a call? ;):D

I'm originally from Oklahoma and my hubby is from Texas, you don't think I have my own shotgun? ;)

Still, just one note playing over and over doesn't sound like a critter is in there.

This is what I'm thinking.

Have you just stood there with the lid opened and observed for a few minutes? OR is a family member messing with you? :D

We put a camera on the piano and recorded it. I can't actually see anything move and the key does not depress but it is definitely making a sound like a hammer striking a string.

Are you sure it's the piano, and not some sort of alarm? We have several digital watches/ stop watches which have alarms set that we don't know how to disarm.

No, no, it's definitely the piano.

I'm wondering how many Mike's was consumed last night? Also, was it the original Mike's or was it Mike's Harder? That would make a difference....:D

:lol:

Huh, at least I know I'm not the only one!

My initial thought was: can anyone else hear it? If it's only one person hearing it, it could be a sign of an inner ear infection or a very early sign of a hearing problem.

But now that I read AuntieM's climate theory, that sounds the most feasible. If you have not had a huge climate change recently, has anyone spilled any liquid on/in the piano?

No, everyone hears it.

The piano has been in Hawaii for a long time. We inherited it from a family at church when they were moving. However, it is cooler at night and warmer during the day. I would say that could have something to do with it but it is happening around the clock. Anywhere from 10 to 60 minutes apart, just the single note.

I'm originally from Oklahoma and my hubby is from Texas, you don't think I have my own shotgun? ;)

This is what I'm thinking.

We put a camera on the piano and recorded it. I can't actually see anything move and the key does not depress but it is definitely making a sound like a hammer striking a string.

No, no, it's definitely the piano.

:lol:

Huh, at least I know I'm not the only one!

No, everyone hears it.

The piano has been in Hawaii for a long time. We inherited it from a family at church when they were moving. However, it is cooler at night and warmer during the day. I would say that could have something to do with it but it is happening around the clock. Anywhere from 10 to 60 minutes apart, just the single note.

I'm thinking it's the ghost's of all those kitten's that have died.

Dang...there's two more headed your way!

Same note - sympathetic vibration? Does it sound as something w/a motor or even something electronic is cycling on and off?

And sounds like you've already tested for others hearing it, too - I hear phantom sounds and music sometimes (there was an interesting thread on that a while ago.) It's usually a vibration just out of audible range triggering it.

Since you are in Hawaii, I'd think lizard/gecko. But there may be a physics explanation. If there is a vibration occurring near you, it could set off that particular note's natural vibration frequency which would cause the note to sound. Maybe a tremor, car passing nearby, or even the someone walking past the piano?

My dh has a step which causes the vase on the mantle to vibrate every morning when he is walking out the front door.

I have seen enough scary movies to know that you should get rid of that thing. :001_smile:

And the poster with the stuffed animal that talks without batteries. Come on! Haven't you seen Chuckie?? :001_huh:

My piano does not do that so I don't know what to tell you.

BTW I was raised on scary movies.. it only made me more scared. See!